Where should Bus Stops be added to?

Started by Buzz Killington, May 05, 2009, 06:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

A post on the RiotACT website got me thinking.. what are some areas where there really should be bus stops, but aren't any?

The example provided in that post is a very valid one - Athllon Drive as it passes the Wanniassa Shops. Surely one extra stop in each direction wouldn't add too much time to the Intertown, and it's kinda halfway between the stops at Farrer and Kambah. A bay would probably have to be constructed, and really - when the hell is this road going to get duplicated anyway?

lukeo25

i agree with that post from RiotACT, it would be very good as a lot of people will probably benifit from it , i think there should be some stops on yamba dr after the hindmarsh dr lights for people who live in the bottom of mawson, farrer, issacs and o'malley also in macarthur as that place is not served at ALL by any service, in hume for people who do not drive or can't afford a taxi everyday

Buzz Killington

Well Hume and Macarthur would fall more into a "What areas should be serviced" category (feel free to start a thread on that one)

This thread is more for where stops should be placed along existing routes, where no diversion or deviation is required

Bus 400

When the bus stops were added on Athllon Drive & Learmonth drive there was an article of Kambah & Wanniassa residents pressing for a bus stop in their little stretch. ACTION told them that it was unsafe for buses to pull out onto Athllon Drive & it also wasn't safe for a stop without a bay.

Also Irisbus Rider, with the Flemington Road Duplication, bus stops will be added a each new traffic light intersection. More details had been posted at http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1140.0

It might seem to be the other way round. But I did have a talk with another driver that the bus stops on the 62 could be halved. That is by taking out 2 stops & replacing them with a central stop.

Irisbus Rider

Might be difficult, but I have observed the need for stops on Belconnen Way after Coulter Dr. It may not be popular, as the 703 services that stretch, but the amount of times I have seen Canberra High kids ask the driver to pull over and let them off on the dirt there is numerous.

Buzz Killington

Another that I've noticed is Drakeford Drive as it passes Bonython - there is ample room there - room for three lanes but one is a painted island/turning lane/bike lane. When Network 08 was proposed two expresso services were to run through the suburb, but when the final Network was released, BOTH of these had disappeared without explanation. The ACTION website used to state that Bonython was serviced by Expresso routes however these routes ran along Drakeford - where there was no bloody bus stops to get on at!

Ridiculous! 

route56

There really needs to be another stop on William Slim drive adjacent to McKellar. Look at a map. There is only ONE stop between that high school in Belconnen and the Barton Highway.

This low cost to install bus stop would increase patronage from McKellar residents.

Busnerd

There would have to be some reason why major arterial roads don't have stops at them?

Perhaps they won't put one in unless you have proper over or under road walkways to safely cross a 6 lane road?

Plus school kids shouldn't be using city xpresso's to get to school, I notice they cram the 705 too, which shouldn't drop off til Tuggeranong, From memory I think they got banned from a service as they overcrowded it and annoyed other passengers.

Barry Drive

Route 25/925, Burrinjuck Cres - there is a stop at Duffy shops and then nothing until Wyangala St. A stop should be put in at the old terminus.