Newcastle and surrounds, October 2011

Started by 743, October 31, 2011, 07:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Went on an all-too-brief (well, week and a half, but still!) and very enjoyable holiday back to my home town of Newcastle a few weeks ago. Usually I don't get a lot of time for photography when I'm up there, but I made the effort on this trip and here are some of the results!

Looking up Watt St to Newcastle Buses Mercedes O405 Mk V 3182 at the outward Newcastle Station stop. Volvo B12BLEs 1585 and 2059 at right are concluding 100 and 235 services respectively.

Mk V 3369 and Volvo 2061 approach Broadmeadow Nineways on Belford St. This roadway was once shared with the Adamstown, Wallsend, West Wallsend, Speers Point and Waratah tramways. Route 226 generally parallels the Waratah Line while the 231 was originally a part-replacement for the Wallsend Line although has been altered on numerous occasions in the decades since.

3683 is one of State Transit's 16 remaining MAN 11.220 Midis and is seen here on Lawson St approaching Hamilton's business district.

At the time of writing, 3122 is Newcastle Buses' second-oldest vehicle (3097 is the oldest). I happened to stumble across it awaiting routine inspection at Carrington RTA.

2306 is currently Newcastle Buses' only vehicle in the new colour scheme however a fleet of B7RLEs can't be too far off - 2379 was displayed at the recent Bus and Coach Show at Rosehill. This photo is taken on Beaumont St, Hamilton, a cultural hub (well, apparently - I only ever go there for Cold Rock  :P).

Two Volvos operate the Free Newcastle Shuttle - 2059 and 2060. However due to peak fleet requirements these buses must operate normal route services outside Shuttle hours, as evidenced by 2059 on a 235 at Wallsend. The supplementary sign in the windscreen reads "Free Bus between 9.00am & 3.00pm only; Fares to be paid at all other times" as the livery could be misleading otherwise!

CDC Hunter Valley Buses Scania K230UB 1554 is operating Route 261 at Wallsend, a service introduced on 28 November last year.

Passing Maitland's Grand Junction Hotel (not far from the Railway Station) are Rover MAN 18.280 31 and Hunter Valley Buses Volvo B7RLE 5147. Steam St at the right is named for the once predominant use of steam locos for passenger and colliery work in the area.

Perched above the old Toronto railway line on Victory Pde is Hunter Valley Buses Volvo B7RLE 7103 in new colours being passed by B12BLE 4376 in the pre-CDC Toronto Bus Service scheme.

Port Stephens Coaches Volvo B12BLE 4665 on Scott St, Newcastle.

400:D

Good seeing pictures of my home town as well on here, good to see the pictures from there. I remember catching the Midis and O405's all the time.