I hate the word "Gunzel" ("Bunzel", however, is hilarious)

Started by Buzz Killington, January 29, 2008, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you?

Yes
3 (20%)
No
4 (26.7%)
I think I left my oven on...
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Buzz Killington

Discuss and vote.

Irisbus Rider

I hate it's misuse.

See I either am very curious or have too much free time, because I looked it up in ther dictionary, and it means to "Spot Trains". Not buses, not anything else, trains.

Thats why we have "Plunzel" (Plane enthusiast), "Flunzel" (Ferry enthusiast), and dare I say, "Bunzel" (Bus enthusiast).

It was annoying, now water off a ducks back, in one ear, out the other.

Busnerd

Ducks back?

I think you made that 'saying' up

Buzz Killington

Irisbus Rider

From "english1010.com":
Water off a duck's back
Meaning:

This expression can be used to describe a situation where something has no effect on a person. It is usually used when criticism or harsh comments have no effect on someone. We often use it with the word "like". We also often use this expression with phrasal verbs such as "roll off" or "slide off".

Example sentences:

1. It's water off a duck's back to me.
2. It rolled off him like water off a duck's back.
3. You have to let it slide off like water off a duck's back.

Busnerd

exactly, its from england. I for one have never heard of it, it jsut seems like a rip off of a more common version of that which i cant recall atm

Sir Pompously

Gunzel is originally an English term to spot trains, but has worked its way into the bus enthusiasm world. Personally I don't care, I use the word in Jest to point out my own nerdishness or gunzellness.

Also, next time the poll is made use three options. 'Yes', 'No' and 'I don't really care' (or 'Doesn't affect me') for those inbetween, cause thats where I am ;).

Water off a ducks back is quite an old term, but still used today. The opposite of this would be The straw that broke the camels back (aka The Last Straw), where basically one last thing done made a person take drastic measures. So if I called someone a loser, and they snapped and punch me out that comment would have been the 'straw that broke the camels back'.

Jack Bauer

Where the hell is the G from - shouldn't it be Tunzel (Train Enthusiest)?

Jack Bauer

Irisbus Rider