Minor Maintenance/Repairs Thread

Started by Buzz Killington, May 14, 2009, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 08, 2015, 09:41:53 AM
Can someone tell me what's been going on with the Scania's? I've been noticing for the past year now they are al being fitted with a new grill at the back, makes them look slightly less appealing, and destroys the logo (if not removed)> is it something to do with them being old and the engines overheating, or a OHS regulation or something???
Would have thought all the hundreds of rectangular shaped openings on the sides and the few on the back were already enough?, guess not  ???
It is an OH&S requirement. Drivers are not permitted to open the engine hatch on the buses. However at times they are required to inspect the belts on the engine. To facilitate this grilles are being fitted to the back of the Scanias to allow the belts to be viewed.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 08, 2015, 09:41:53 AM
Can someone tell me what's been going on with the Scania's? I've been noticing for the past year now they are al being fitted with a new grill at the back, makes them look slightly less appealing, and destroys the logo (if not removed)> is it something to do with them being old and the engines overheating, or a OHS regulation or something???
Would have thought all the hundreds of rectangular shaped openings on the sides and the few on the back were already enough?, guess not  ???

I'm not sure why the extra grill has been fitted, but the logo is then re applied - so I'm not sure why you think they look less appealing.

Before

After
(King of Buses photo.)

Barry Drive

For those who were worried, 994 once more has a fully working flip-dot.

Busfanatic101

313 broken down yesterday morn at albert hall stop.

I was delighted to see that 943 now has a LED desto- admin, please update the Retrofit LED Desto thread

Bus 503

115 had its engine lid open this afternoon in the city.

Busfanatic101

314 broken down at the back of plt 1 this morning (8:25am), and one of the very new scanias (with the new type of bike rack) with hazard lights on at the front of plt 3.

EDIT: Second bus in question was apparently 580

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on October 27, 2015, 05:34:46 PM
314 broken down at the back of plt 1 this morning (8:25am), and one of the very new scanias (with the new type of bike rack) with hazard lights on at the front of plt 3.

Yep, it docked and picked up passengers for the 10, then it spilt a massive pile of liquid and drove off leaving a small trail. Then it stopped...

As with 580, it was at the back of platform 3, then it went to the front of platform 3 - so it still had some power.

Snorzac

It's not a ship, it doesn't dock....it stops, and it was oil that it dropped, I believe it was towed home. 580 was in service this afternoon, it was probably laying over on the back of platform 3 and the driver forgot to turn the hazards off when he rolled down to pick up pax.

King of Buses

Incident at Tuggeranong Interchange this afternoon between 472 and 571 apparently.

Bus 503

Bus 524's transmission broke down yesterday.

Busfanatic101

A PR3 (131?) broken down around 16:15 near the Athlon Dr (Farrar Ridge) Ranger Depot.
Also an IRISBUS slam by 315 into 543 at the new Plt 2 in Civic at 3:40pm, but seems very little damage was done

Busfanatic101

404 with back lid open at Woden 6:55pm, but no one was attending to it during the 15mins I was there for

Bus 503

Something that 322 is now featuring.

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 13, 2015, 08:02:51 PM
404 with back lid open at Woden 6:55pm, but no one was attending to it during the 15mins I was there for

Bus 404 performed the 9:52PM Belconnen bound 30 yesterday so either it was fixed at Woden or it didn't have any problems.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 14, 2015, 09:47:59 AM

Bus 404 performed the 9:52 Belconnen bound 30 yesterday so either it was fixed at Woden or it didn't have any problems.
9:52 is before 6:55pm

King of Buses

101 was being tended to by the tow truck at stop 1688 in Conder this afternoon about 1540. It must've been there for nearly two hours too...

Bus 400

A SNT bus was being tended to yesterday afternoon on the northbound lanes of the Tuggeranong Parkway near Heysen Street.

Buzz Killington

Northbound? I saw two of them stopped southbound in that approximate location yesterday afternoon, around 5pm

King of Buses

338 now has a similar green front (without the orange smile) to 351. Recently involved in minor accident apparently.

EDIT: A photo now attached.

110 is currently broken down in the median lane Citybound on Northbourne Ave at Antill St.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Snorzac

338 was broken down on the Parkway northbound approx 1800 today

Busfanatic101

Plenty of break down action in today's heat (ha, so punny), saw 3 buses broken down in 10 minutes.
A dart and a tuggies gas scania (320-373) broken down at Woden Bus Station at 3:50pm and an artic (525?) 10mins later along Yamba Dr.
This is only the beginning... what will tommorow's 36℃ and the following 37℃ bring?

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on February 23, 2016, 06:03:56 PM
Plenty of break down action in today's heat (ha, so punny), saw 3 buses broken down in 10 minutes.
A dart and a tuggies gas scania (320-373) broken down at Woden Bus Station at 3:50pm and an artic (525?) 10mins later along Yamba Dr.
This is only the beginning... what will tommorow's 36℃ and the following 37℃ bring?

117 did about half an hour ago too at Lanyon.

Buzz Killington

120 was having some heat troubles today too

Bus 503

316 had "issues" on Northbourne Avenue just past Cooyong Street this morning. A Field Van attended the scene.

309 broke down at Griffith Shops this afternoon while running a route 5.

Lachie

144 broke down today on copland drive right next to Alpen with a truck on scene.

Barry Drive

Not sure if it was mentioned before - 425 had an accident on Mirrabei Drive a few weeks back. Has now reentered service with a new engine cover.

Bus 503

Quote from: Barry Drive on March 23, 2016, 01:58:44 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned before - 425 had an accident on Mirrabei Drive a few weeks back. Has now reentered service with a new engine cover.

The Fleetwiki also says something about 435 having an accident on Mirrabei Drive on the same day as 425. (15 Febuary 2016)

Are the accidents related to each other?

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on March 24, 2016, 08:56:37 PM
The Fleetwiki also says something about 435 having an accident on Mirrabei Drive on the same day as 425. (15 Febuary 2016)

Are the accidents related to each other?

Maybe a typo? Cause 425 definitely is the one with a new Engine cover and presumably the one that was in the accident.

466 was also involved in a collision this morning on Akuna St at Coranderrk St.

Barry Drive

Yes, typo/error. It was definitely  425, not 435.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bus 400

Bus 464 took a dump in the southbound bus lane on Callum Street at Hindmarsh Dr. Then required a rest at the bus stop opposite Woden Depot.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bus 400

Bus 333 is having a rest on Tuggeranong Parkway just south of Hindmarsh Dr.

Busfanatic101

328 Broken down on London Cct this morning.
324 had a broken desto with paper numbers in the morning but was fixed by the afternoon.

King of Buses

342 has received the same treatment as 338, 308, etc. (i.e. a green front).

Sylvan Loves Buses

492's Wheelchair Buzzer has been altered to only sound off once now, instead of twice

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I think I saw what looked like a panel replacement where the refueler part is at the back of 431. The sun was shining on it this morning, so that's why I'm not sure.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 17, 2016, 06:08:58 AM
I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I think I saw what looked like a panel replacement where the refueler part is at the back of 431. The sun was shining on it this morning, so that's why I'm not sure.

It's just a panel which still has part of the side ad 431 recently had.

Bus 400

Bus 343 is being towed home, should be there by now.

Bus 400

With Bus 353 not wanting to play fair on Drakeford Dr/Tuggeranong Pkwy/Sulwood Dr heading towards City.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

301 hazard lights on southbound 7 College St/UC stop maybe around 4:45pm

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on June 24, 2016, 08:08:43 PM
301 hazard lights on southbound 7 College St/UC stop maybe around 4:45pm

Well that explains the (hard to interpret) complaint on the ACTION FB page about a route 7 from the UC at about that time...

Bus 503

113 and 467 both broke down at the Sydney Avenue Terminus this afternoon.

Busfanatic101

389 broken down this morning at nthe top of the ramp from Commonwealth Ave to London Cct

Sylvan Loves Buses

I believe it was 486 braking down at Woden Interchange today a couple of hours ago. When the officers opened the engine lid, a little smoke was coming out, so I guess probably an overheated engine (which seems strange due to it being such a cold day with the rain)

Busnerd

Sylvan Loves Buses

Go on, gang up on me again cause I don't know the correct name to EVERYTHING why don't you...

what's is the engine 'lid' really called then?

Snorzac

No one is ganging up on you....its just one person. Gang implies more than one....

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Saw 950 being towed yesterday,

and apparently there is a new design of wireless buzzer (a little fatter than the previous) - noticed this on 607 this morning.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 26, 2016, 09:08:38 PM
Saw 950 being towed yesterday,

and apparently there is a new design of wireless buzzer (a little fatter than the previous) - noticed this on 607 this morning.

It's a new button, yes, but it is wired.
598 onwards have this. (Example attached is coincidentally on board 607).

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on July 29, 2016, 05:24:00 PM
It's a new button, yes, but it is wired.
598 onwards have this.
Straying off topic here (so may have to split this topic) - the new buttons (and indeed the systems in Bus 491 onwards) are wireless.

There are a number of companies which offer a RF wireless push button system - it looks like Custom are using the products of Finnish company Teknoware. (Refer here for their webpage.)

The previous wireless systems (with the round buttons) used a sound-emitting button with a receiver inside the bus - but these were too unreliable.