Majura Parkway Discussion

Started by Sir Pompously, January 06, 2010, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

I thought we had a thread on the Majura Parkway project, but searched to no avail. For those wanting to look at some of the proposed maps and public consultation submissions, they can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/your_say/comment/draft_eis/majura_parkway

It looks pretty good (The alignment), however according to the Canberra Airport plan construction was to have already started last year. However I think public consultation has only just closed, which  means the long process of sorting through everything and making a well informed (Ha!) decision. Will be good to have another parkway in Canberra, and better access from the Monaro Highway to the Federal Highway.

Buzz Killington

Stanhope eyes ACT funds for parkway

QuoteACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope has admitted for the first time that the Territory's ratepayers will have to foot half the $250million bill for its much-vaunted Majura Parkway, appearing to give up on the Federal Government bankrolling the entire project.

It has also been revealed that the Government now wants to reallocate $30million in federal money it had originally sidelined for the first stage of the Majura Parkway to other road projects including duplicating a 1.5km section of the Monaro Highway through Fyshwick at a cost of $19million. The remaining $11million would be used to re-pave Majura Road, Morshead Drive and Fairbairn Avenue.

The Government maintains it is not giving up on the Majura Parkway, putting the road at the top of its latest wishlist to Infrastructure Australia, the Commonwealth agency which prioritises projects for possible federal funding.

The wishlist has raised the ire of the ACT Greens who say any of the other seven projects on the list deserve to be No1 before the parkway, including a scoping study into a Very Fast Train between Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney; federal assistance towards the $363million Cotter Dam enlargement and the development of a masterplan for Civic.

Greens planning spokeswoman Caroline Le Couteur said it did not make sense for the Government to have an 11.5km, four-lane road costing $250million as its most pressing infrastructure priority.

''My concern is Canberra's transport is very car-based and they need to look at new infrastructure that is not so car-based,'' she said.

Opposition Leader Zed Seselja said the Majura Parkway should be fully funded by the Federal Government and the ACT was suffering by not having a long-term infrastructure plan.

''I think we are being neglected by the Rudd Government, no doubt about it,'' he said.

Source: Canberra Times

Sir Pompously

I think on the road side of things, the Majura Parkway should be the priority. The road is very well used, by cars and trucks alike, is packed in peak hours, and is still at the standard of a NSW country highway. Re-paving Majura road is no help to its long term users, whether we have to foot the bill or not I would love to see this road completed. I also don't understand why a Scoping study for a VFT would be one for the top of our wishlist, seeing as though it would pass through two states and our own territory, it should be a federal government wish not as a part of ours (That and a Federal Government priority). Cotter Dam I can understand, and the Civic Masterplan I don't know that much about to comment. I am glad that, however, that they are finishing off the Fyshwick duplication.

Sir Pompously

A very small sign on a picket that no one would be able to read has just gone up next to the Monaro Highway off ramp to Fyshwick about the Duplication. There is nothing online, so it seems as though they are starting soon. Still no word on Majura road. It looks as though those funds that were from it did go to 'improving the road' (And Monaro Highway Duplication) however their so called improvements fixed up one corner. That is all I have seen done.

Sir Pompously

Finally, sense has prevailed and the parkway will be constructed jointly by the ACT and Federal Governments!!
Future paved for Majura Parkway
BY BIANCA HALL
08 Jul, 2011 07:02 AM
Forty years after it first became a line on a map, the Federal Government assured the future of the Majura Parkway project yesterday.

The highway, which will cut a swath through the Majura Valley, represents the single largest roads investment in the ACT.

Majura Road landholders, whose leases have been discontinued from 2005, will lose sections of their properties in compulsory acquisitions to make way for the road.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the Government would match dollar for dollar the ACT Government's $144 million funding commitment.

Works will start on the $288 million dual carriageway linking the Monaro and Federal highways in the second half of next year. Construction is due to be complete by 2016.

The 11.5km road will include seven bridges and three interchanges at the intersections with Fairbairn Avenue, Federal Highway and the Monaro Highway.

According to maps issued yesterday, the new road will plough through a popular mountain bike riding section of the Majura Pines, and require the realignment of one section of Woolshed Creek.

Statutory planning and environmental approvals are in place.

Among the next steps is the acquisition of 3.3ha of land from the Department of Defence at Duntroon, and a call for tenders for the first stage of works.

The road will more than double existing traffic flows through the area, with 40,000 vehicles (15 per cent of which will be freight) predicted to use the road every day.

About 18,000 vehicles travel the single-carriageway Majura Road daily.

Flanked by six of his federal and territory Labor colleagues, Mr Albanese said the cost-benefit ratio of the project had been lifted by freight pressures in the area.

''This new road is an investment in Canberra's future, with Infrastructure Australia putting its long-term economic, social and environmental benefits at close to $1billion.''

Chief Minister Katy Gallagher said the project would ease the city's traffic demands and take freight off city streets. ''It's not just a good outcome for Canberra though, it's a good outcome for the region,'' Ms Gallagher said.

''It's going to be a very important regional road and it allows the growth of the airport... to deal with some of the freight that's going to be moving through that ... corridor.''

On Monday, Infrastructure Australia's report to the Council of Australian Governments described the Majura Parkway as ''ready to proceed'' and recommended it receive federal funding.

But its recommendation that the Federal Government make funding the road conditional on tolls created a storm of protest.

Yesterday, Mr Albanese said the Federal Government rejected the recommendation the new road be tolled. ''Tolling on this road was never raised in the negotiation between myself and the Chief Minister,'' Mr Albanese said.

''Infrastructure Australia is, of course, an advisory body we make the decisions.''

Federal Member for Fraser Andrew Leigh said his constituents regularly lobbied him over the road.

''I'm delighted at today's decision, which will reduce traffic congestion in the inner north, and cut commuting times for Gungahlin residents.''
Source: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/future-paved-for-majura-parkway/2220243.aspx?storypage=0

smitho

Had my first motor bike accident when the Majura Road was called "Majura Lane".

It was a narrow road then with dirt and gravel surface (this was 1977 or 78); my bike and I parted company when I went into a big pothole after wet conditions had knocked the road surface about. ortunately no major damage - could ride the bike home. Was very little traffic on the road in those years...