Previous topic - Next topic

What's the longest acceptable time that LR should take City to Woden

15 min
20 min
25 min
30 min
35 min

Sylvan Loves Buses

That's what I'm perplexed by. If there's no additional depot that's going to be constructed down south, there's going to be quite a few trams going back to Mitchell at the dead of night to get back to the depot - and there will likely be people probably wanting to get them cause they're still out and about.
If ridiculous Tuggeranong to Fraser/Belconnen to Banks dead-running buses weren't bad enough, there will be trams doing it too. I know Tuggeranong is a few decades (at least) off, but you have to wonder.

Toyota Camry

I am proposing that a "stabling cage" should be built in the Woden area, along with a staff amenities building; potentially adjacent to light rail tracks in the median of Yarra Glen between Carruthers St and the roundabout.

This would allow for a small number of light rail vehicles to be parked overnight and also during the day in the Woden area; it would also allow for some light rail employees to start and finish their shifts in the southern area.

It has been some time since I have visited the city of Sydney, however there is believed to be a similar arrangement for trains at the Cronulla and Waterfall railway stations in that city; as I have not visited nor left Canberra for some time, I am unsure if this arrangement is still in place, they may have switched to operating all trains from the central train depot at Mortdale.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 26, 2019, 11:50:12 AMThat's what I'm perplexed by. If there's no additional depot that's going to be constructed down south, there's going to be quite a few trams going back to Mitchell at the dead of night to get back to the depot - and there will likely be people probably wanting to get them cause they're still out and about.
If ridiculous Tuggeranong to Fraser/Belconnen to Banks dead-running buses weren't bad enough, there will be trams doing it too. I know Tuggeranong is a few decades (at least) off, but you have to wonder.
There's no purpose to a tram depot if it is not connected to the tracks - so there could be a southside depot in future but I don't see any point in building a southside depot in anticipation of stage 2B when there is still so much uncertainty. By expanding Mitchell, the trams can definitely be used. They can always build a depot in Woden/tuggeranong in future, and redirect the extra trams in Mitchell to primarily operate on stage 3 onwards (city-fyshwick or city-belco link etc.)

Northside

I'm not sure about the idea of a 'stabling cage' - that seems to just increase the risk of vandalism. Plus the middle of a 80km/hr road is not where you want a stabling facility.

I'm hoping that there is a stage 2C not far off, which can extend the line to Mawson PnR and include a small stabling facility as part of the Woden bus depot. This way it can share facilities and security is maintained for the one location. This shouldn't need a full depot - that can remain at Mitchell, but just enough to avoid the abovementioned dead running.

Busnerd

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 26, 2019, 11:50:12 AMthere's going to be quite a few trams going back to Mitchell at the dead of night to get back to the depot - and there will likely be people probably wanting to get them cause they're still out and about.
There is currently little to no dead running the LR network, trams only run empty from EPIC or Well Station to the depot and are in service until that point, the only empty trips run prior to the first trip of the day in each direction, this won't change with any extension to Woden.

As for Toyota Camry's stabling 'cage' idea, it is not required, the Mitchell depot can be expanded to hold the required additional 4 or so trams and all services will run in service to EPIC or Well Station/Mitchell when it's built before returning to the depot.

As for Sydney, they still stable trains at Waterfall, Cronulla and quite a lot of other non-maintenance centre stabling yards, given Canberra's size a standalone stabling yard would probably never be required, given the small-ish size of the current maintenance sheds at Mitchell, any new depot built would probably have additional maintenance facilities anyway, I'm sure even with the 'full network' built this would only need 2 or maximum 3 depots.

Sylvan Loves Buses

QuoteThe 1.7km Stage 2A extension is due to begin operating in 2024.

Ugh, lazy buggers! At this rate the full plan of all of Canberra will take 50 years as I predicted...