Overtime refusal results in service cuts

Started by Buzz Killington, March 15, 2011, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

ACT Bus News

As a result of an ongoing dispute in relation to pay and conditions, 120 ACTION mechanics refused to work overtime at the weekend, causing the operator to warn commuters of possible service disruptions today.

ACTION director James Roncon apologised for the disruptions, and asked that commuters try to catch an earlier bus, although he stated that peak and school services would not be disrupted.

The strike by mechanics reduced the number of buses that were able to be put into service this morning, with a backlog of work from the three-day long weekend meaning a number of vehicles were unavailable to drivers this morning.

Mr Roncon asked commuters to be patient.

"What we try to do is maintain the high patronised routes like our route services, our 200's and 300's and of course our school services always get priority as well," he said.

"So what we will be doing is what we always try to do and that is trying to minimising the impact wherever we possibly can but noting there will certainly be some service disruption."

Bus 400

There did appear to be a big line of buses at both Belconnen & Tuggeranong bricks. It wouldn't surprise me if a bus booked in on Thursday afternoon is the last bus to be put back on the road in a few days time. I say that as I wonder how they can move buses around to get to the buses right up the back.

Snorzac

If you mean how do they move the buses around to the side of the workshop to get others in (or back if you are at Tuggeranong), most of the buses are usually in for minor faults (ie. lights) so they are just driven.