Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

I happened to stumble across this 'Woolworths' just out of the Hobart CBD during dusk, and got a chuckle out of the sign;

Bring back Purity, I say!

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

:WOW:

Me neither.. thanks for posting that John

Buzz Killington

Noticed that Big W at Woden finally has... well, a Big W out the front

and by that I mean, they've finally put the new logo up.

particleman

Does anyone know when Coles Queanbeyan and Belco will be renovated?

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

:TODDLOL:

particleman

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 04, 2010, 05:18:52 PM
Hmm, let's ask this guy:

Well I got news from a member of Coles management, QBN's checkouts will be done in 2 weeks. Still no news about Belco. I heard 2011 last time, but it should be done at the same time as the bus stations (whenever that is)

bubzie

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 20, 2010, 11:26:01 PM
Noticed that Big W at Woden finally has... well, a Big W out the front

and by that I mean, they've finally put the new logo up.

We had a week of no signage out the front at all!!

Speaking of which, the letters from all the old signs are/were sitting in the back dock near coles/big dub. I was half tempted to loot...

Buzz Killington

Bit of interesting news today. In order to help competition, the ACT Government has decided to release the following:

- A site in Kingston to Supabarn
- A site in Dickson that can be won by all majors except Woolworths, which already have a supermarket at Dickson.
- Sites in Casey for both Supabarn and Aldi
- A site in Amaroo for a large-format store, with Woolworths and Coles excluded from participating.

It also notes that:

- Supabarn to open a wholesale facility at Canberra Airport later this month (the old Mother Nature's site?)
- Woolworths have secured a site in Bonner
- Woolworths Charnwood will be expanded
- Supermarkets at Holt and Kambah possibly getting land sales to enable extensions (Woolworths for both)

Sounds like a good win for Supabarn. With a store in Casey I doubt they'd bid for Amaroo, and they may not bid for Dickson either given the proximity to Civic.

Will we see some Supa IGA's? Foodworks? Will Franklins return to the ACT?

QuoteBoost for supermarket competition in the ACT

Released 06/05/2010

The ACT Government has announced a package of supermarket site releases in group centre redevelopments at Dickson and Kingston, and new developments at Casey and Amaroo in Gungahlin.

The package provides the opportunity for independent chain operators, including locally-grown independent chain Supabarn, to secure large format stores that will complement Supabarn's entry into fast-moving wholesale competition in the ACT.

It will also assist in the entry of a new ALDI store at Casey.

Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said the Government expected the first of the land sales for the new supermarkets to start within three months after site and marketing preparations.

The new supermarket in Kingston would require a variation to the Territory plan and this would probably take longer than the others.

"The Government is determined to offer Canberra families more choices, more suburban supermarkets and potentially cheaper prices," Mr Stanhope said.

"This package is the culmination of several years' work to respond to community and Government concern that the domination of large format supermarkets by Woolworths and Coles provided insufficient choice for consumers and competitive tension.

"Woolworths and Coles have jointly controlled more than 70 per cent of the grocery dollar in Canberra, and, if convenience stores were taken out, more than 90 per cent of large format supermarkets."

"Implementation of the Supermarket Competition Policy will result in greater competition and choice and potentially lower prices for Canberra shoppers."

Mr Stanhope said the ACT Government was encouraged by the 2008 Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Retail Grocery Report criticisms of impediments to new entrants to compete with major supermarket chains and lack of independent wholesale competition.

A review for the ACT Government by John Martin, a former commissioner of the ACCC, found grounds for some intervention by the Government to correct distortions and create competitive tension.

The Martin Review, which was accepted by the ACT Government and released in September 2009 recommended factoring competition and flexibility into planning, zoning and land release processes.

The Government took advice on the Martin Review from the inter-agency Supermarket Competition Co-ordination Committee, which considered competition factors and consulted stakeholders.

Mr Stanhope said the Government had decided:

* Kingston - To release a site in the Eyre Street car park for a 3400 sq metre Supabarn supermarket as part of a mixed development;
    * Dickson - To release a site for a large format supermarket to all players, except the incumbent Woolworths. The site, on the large surface car park adjacent to Woolworths, would be available for a store in excess of 2500 sq m;
    * Casey - To release sites for ALDI and Supabarn, with a possible further release in three years for a large format supermarket site; and
    * Amaroo - To release a site for a large format supermarket, with Woolworths and Coles excluded from participating.

Mr Stanhope said the package recognised that Supabarn would be opening a wholesale facility at Canberra Airport later this month. This facility would increase competition in the ACT's supermarket and wholesaling sector.

"The package still provides opportunities for the major market forces - Woolworths and Coles - to expand and the Government has recently approved sales of land to enable Woolworths to expand in centres such as Charnwood," he said.

"As recently as last month Woolworths secured another supermarket site in Bonner."

He said he expected to make further announcements by the middle of the year on direct sales of land to enable supermarkets to expand in local centres such as Holt and Kambah.

"The Government has a preference for land release by an open process, but application of the new supermarket policy will at times involve other methods, including restricted auction or other process.

"In relation to Kingston, Casey and Amaroo, the approach will involve the release of land for a mixed development, with a pre-commitment to a selected supermarket operator.

"This means that any developer will be able to bid for the development of these centres," Mr Stanhope said.

*NB: Chief Minister Jon Stanhope and author of the Supermarket Review John Martin will be available for comment in the courtyard of the Legislative Assembly building at 12.00pm today.

Bus 400

I am curious as to where Kambah Woolworths could expand to? The only main option would be the carpark to the south, the only thing is that the delivery access to alot of the other shops would be hampered. Also the Woolies loading dock looks like a pain to get in & out of already, so if that carpark is shortened the loading dock could be even more annoying.

But on the other hand I've stopped shopping at Kambah Woolworths as when I do my shopping at 7 o clock at night, just about all the fresh produce & a fair bit of the meat has run out. On the other hand Erindale Woolworths still has a large selection of both at the same time.

Buzz Killington

Kambah Woolies is just plain terrible. Always understaffed, understocked and the final straw for me was seeing flies in the deli display case.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 07, 2010, 07:41:16 AM
Kambah Woolies is just plain terrible. Always understaffed, understocked and the final straw for me was seeing flies in the deli display case.

Nothing wrong with a little extra fibre in your diet there Buzz

Irisbus Rider

The one in Amaroo would most likely be next to the United Service Station, plenty of land avaliable there.

As for the Woolworths in Holt (Kippax) expanding, that is a surprise, as it was recently expanded, and it's pretty big at the moment!

Also, nice to see Supabarn expanding, and I'm definately hoping for a Franklins in Dickson or Amaroo, it's be great to get some 'No-Name' back in the ACT lol.

CNG

I work for the woolworths group at Big W canberra city. So come in and see oneday, either on saturday or friday nights

Sir Pompously

Large supabarn signs have been erected at the ol' Mother Natures place in Majura park.

Bus 400

I don't if it has to do with it being Sydney, but a convience store in Coogee has quite a few different chocolate bars (including a few different Cadbury ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 15, 2010, 10:06:36 PM
I don't if it has to do with it being Sydney, but a convience store in Coogee has quite a few different chocolate bars (including a few different Cadbury ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet those different Cadbury bars come from NZ; I went through their Dunedin factory a few years back and was impressed by the much bigger range of bars they produce their compared with Cadburys Australia.

Buzz Killington

smitho

Anyone know where you can get British cream toffees around Canberra? IGA Civic used to stock them, but not anymore.

Buzz Killington

If you can give me a brand name or two I may know, or at least be able to know them when I see them.

Or even do a google image search on a particular brand and see if you can find the packaging.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 17, 2010, 09:35:07 PM
If you can give me a brand name or two I may know, or at least be able to know them when I see them.

Or even do a google image search on a particular brand and see if you can find the packaging.

Thanks. McCowans of Scotland Highland Toffee is one...

Buzz Killington

No worries. Doesn't ring a bell but if I spot them in my travels I'll let you know

Just checked Google and have a few image results

lukeo25

i remember the second image very well  :) i used to get them all the time in england for 10p for 1, i've seen them in sydney in a few lolly shops up there

smitho

Good work - thanks. Another one I used to get is Mackintosh's Toffee...yum. Details follow....

Mackintosh's Toffee is a sweet created by John   Mackintosh.
Mackintosh opened up his sweets shop in Halifax, Yorkshire,   England   in 1890, and the idea for Mackintosh's Toffee, not too hard and not too   soft, came soon after. In 1969, Mackintosh's merged with rival Rowntree   to form Rowntree Mackintosh,   which merged with Nestle in 1988.
The product is often credited with being over 100 years old.
The toffee is sold in bags containing a random assortment of   individual wrapped flavoured toffees. The flavours are (followed by   wrapping colour): Malt (Blue), Harrogate   (Yellow), Mint (Green), Egg & Cream (Orange), Coconut (Pink),   Toffee (Red). The red wrapped toffees do not display a flavour on the   wrapper. The product's subtitle is "Toffee De Luxe" and its motto "a   tradition worth sharing".
Availability  The product is known widely throughout Canada   under the name 'MACK'.[1]   The Canadian product is manufactured in Switzerland   by Nestle, and licensed for sale in Canada by Nestle Canada. Nestle does not distribute the   toffees in the US, but one may order it online for delivery or may find   it in specialty candy shops.
They are also manufactured and sold in New   Zealand by Nestle New Zealand Limited under the "Allen's"   Confectionery range.[2]

Buzz Killington

Sir Pompously

I have a McCowans Highland Toffee bar in my cupboard. I got it from my relatives when they came over to visit from the old land of Scots.

Busnerd

By the Way todd and John, i was in 7/11 Chatswood, the Victoria Avenue outlet for those of you playing at home, and it now stocks doctor pepper, red crush or whatever its called, cream soda and ginger beer and welch's too.. :) lets hope all outlets follow suite for those Doctor P lovers out there

Bus 400

The former "Öpening Soon" site for Mother Nature at Brand Depot has been taken over of Supabarn & is to open in the next few weeks. I always forget to check the dates on the ad's.

Buzz Killington

Went past today, and it is branded as 'Supabarn Warehouse' with large 'Open to the Public' signs.

Buzz Killington

NEW SUPABARN WAREHOUSE SUPPORTS GREATER CHOICE
Published: May 21, 2010, 11:00 am
Section: Jon Stanhope, MLA | Media Releases

Canberrans will benefit from greater supermarket choice and potentially lower grocery prices with the opening of a new Supabarn warehouse at Majura Park by Chief Minister Jon Stanhope today.

"This new warehouse will enable Supabarn to store large volumes of products for distribution to its stores, increase its bulk-buying power and lower prices in Supabarn stores across in the ACT," Mr Stanhope said.

"Shoppers, small businesses and restaurants can also buy groceries and fresh produce in bulk directly from the warehouse, which will lead to greater choice and potentially cheaper prices for consumers."

Mr Stanhope said the opening of the warehouse follows the recent release of the ACT Government's new supermarket policy, which is aimed at creating more retail and wholesale competition in the local supermarket industry.

The Government has announced its intent to release land in Kingston for a new Supabarn supermarket and in Casey for a new ALDI and Supabarn. Woolworths and Coles will also be excluded from bidding for a full line supermarket site in Amaroo however Coles will be able to bid for a full line site in Dickson.

"This warehouse is a great example of how the Government's supermarket competition policy is giving independent operators, like Supabarn, the confidence they need to grow and boost their presence in the market place.

"The Government is determined to offer Canberra families more supermarket choices and cheaper prices and the opening of this warehouse and the growth of Supabarn is an important step towards achieving this goal.

"The ACT Government is keen to see the expansion of all the independent operators, including Supabarn, IGA and ALDI, to provide more choice to consumers and challenge the dominance of Coles and Woolworths, who currently control more than 70 per cent of the ACT's grocery market."

The Supabarn Warehouse is located at Majura Park at the Canberra Airport.

bubzie

A little birdy told me that big w are getting rid of plastic bags completely in january... :pop:

(to be honest, i as only half listening to the bird..whoops.)

Sir Pompously

Had a Pinky the other day, and boy was it de-licious.

p_stampy

Quote from: bubzie on June 06, 2010, 11:34:21 AM
A little birdy told me that big w are getting rid of plastic bags completely in january... :pop:

(to be honest, i as only half listening to the bird..whoops.)

Will it be like target/borders where you pay 10c for a bag? What happens with the self serve?

Sir Pompously

Place the item on the scale or bring your own bag. Basically what you do anyway at BigW because they never have any bags.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sir Pompously on June 06, 2010, 04:59:35 PM
Basically what you do anyway at BigW because they never have any bags.

heh. it's funny cuz it's true

Barry Drive

Looks like Woolworths at Kippax is going to convert its trolleys to need a $1/ $2 deposit.

Buzz Killington

Or in other words, they're now charging rent to their tenants.

Ah, Belconnen.

Bus 400

The shop at Spence Terminus has (what I think) are a few new products, these include:
-Cadbury Whip (I remember someone, somewhere mentioning that these can't be found in Australia anymore)
-Wimmers lemonade, with a flavour called "original creaming soda" except it is a yellowish colour
-Jim Beam snacks of some sort (in the chip stand, but didn't get a chance to have a close look.

Snorzac

the two last ones have been there for ages, both are awesome!! Especially the Jim Beam chips!

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on June 06, 2010, 05:51:24 PM
The shop at Spence Terminus has (what I think) are a few new products, these include:
-Cadbury Whip (I remember someone, somewhere mentioning that these can't be found in Australia anymore)
-Wimmers lemonade, with a flavour called "original creaming soda" except it is a yellowish colour
-Jim Beam snacks of some sort (in the chip stand, but didn't get a chance to have a close look.

Whip has been around for years, but Woolies don't stock them. You have to go to Coles/IGA/Supabarn. They're delicious.

Jim Beam have also been in the snack business for a few years - chips, nuts and jerky IIRC.

bubzie

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 06, 2010, 05:19:05 PM
heh. it's funny cuz it's true

we havent ran out of bags since febuary, thankyou very much.

(and i dont want to know what happens to self-serve. OH THE HUMANITY!!!)

Sir Pompously

Jim Beam chips are very nice. Whimmers is very nice, the yellowish creaming soda is actual creaming soda. The red colour soda is Raspberry or Red Creaming Soda, depending on the flavours found within.

With the coin deposit, you should be able to purchase a token which will work in the "Trundler's" (Heh, NZ is funny) instead of always having a coin on you. They are the same as the Aldi ones, except they have a Woolworths W on it.

Buzz Killington

Sir Pompously

Well here is a NZ supermarket ad, from New World. I quite like this ad, apparently not as popular amongst people in NZ though. Went to a New World, not a bad supermarket.

New World supermarket new ad

Busnerd

In two day old news I am told that IGA Has bought out Franklins and will be changing all the stores over to IGA's...Frankly (pun not intended) I think this is terrible and ends the era of Franklins and the sock puppet...and I assume the no frills brand also :(

Bus 400

For those that love Cabanossi, the Foodworks out at Bungendore has the best. It is worth the trip just to pick some up. Funny thing is that I only found out today that the people that make the Cabanossi are the butcher for Bungendore & their daughter works with me.

Sir Pompously

It is amazing how IGA touts itself as one of the biggest independent companies, and how they should get a cut in the ACT Market (That it is unfair that the current plans do not include them). IMHO the brand itself is the largest small format supermarket brands in Australia, and I would say North America. Whether they are owned by seperate people is irrelevant, the brand itself is huge. I Would prefer the supermarket sites to go the way they are going, Allocations for Supabarn (A Canberra based company) and Coles (The smallest of the big here) and bid for the rest rather than giving IGA a handout when they do not need one.

Will have to go to Franklins to pick up one of those bears they have for sale, with Franklins logos on it.

CNG

there was a supermarket down at Uladulla that was super IGA, then it changed to Franklins and now it is going to become IGA again. It reminds me of the situation a couple of years back when a number of iga supermarkets changed to shop rite and then a couple of months latter changed back to IGA or Friendly Grocer.

Buzz Killington

The Shoprite situation was an interesting one. Those stores had reportedly had enough of being supplied by IGA and decided to rebrand themeslves as Shoprite and source all their products through a different supply warehouse, which was located in QLD.

The reason they changed back is because they discovered how impractical it was to have all their grocery lines supplied by a warehouse in QLD rather than from IGAs in NSW.

On the subject of Franklins - I recall reading they are keen to return to the ACT and may bid on the Dickson site.