Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Some old transport adverts from the past:

Launching the new look Vigin Atlantic livery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaM3Ku_KKRw

British Rail, The is the age of the train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7naLLeB0A&feature=related

lukeo25

ah the good 'ol Age of the Train ad, thats a favourite  of mine even though it was made before I was born. it was back when the  intercity 125  units where being introduced on the WCML, GWML and the ECML. the intercity 125 units where the base design for the countrylink xpt.

smitho

Quote from: lukeo25 on June 09, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
ah the good 'ol Age of the Train ad, thats a favourite  of mine even though it was made before I was born. it was back when the  intercity 125  units where being introduced on the WCML, GWML and the ECML. the intercity 125 units where the base design for the countrylink xpt.

There are a number of 'This is the age of the train' adverts on YouTube; must be copied off of ancient videos as clarity is generally poor.

Considering that the InterCity 125 was designed to be a bit of a stop-gap pending the completion of the still-born APT fleet, their success in Britain over more than 3 decades is a great tribute to British Rail and British Rail Engineering Ltd (BREL)....the privatised operators and private rollingstock leasing companies in GB have yet to come up with anything remotely as good as the HST (and its Mark 4 electric derivatives on the east coast main line).

smitho

Recent media attention to 'Southern Aurora' partly brought on by the fact that its first run took place in April 1962....half a century ago this April.

Despite its luxury appointments, it would be one of the shortest lived name trains in Australia's history; other short termers include The Southern Cross Limited, the Canberra XPT, the Tenterfield XPT, the South XPT, The Alice (Syd-Alice) and the Expo Express (Syd-Bris).