ACTION Driver recruitment

Started by Buzz Killington, July 30, 2009, 06:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Now recruiting, ACTION bus drivers

If you would like to find out more about a career with ACTION as a bus driver, we invite you to attend an information session;

'Becoming a Commuter Bus Driver'
Date: Tuesday 4th August 2009
Venue: Pilgrim House (adjacent to Jolimont Centre)
69 Northbourne Avenue
Canberra City
(Entrance from rear courtyard)
Time: 7pm – 8pm

The ACTION driver recruitment and training process will be covered in detail including bus driver licensing requirements.

Applications must be received by C.O.B Thursday 13th August 2009.

Previous unsuccessful applicants need not apply.

For more information contact ACTION Recruitment on 6207 7537.

Full details can be found at the ACTION Website here

Barry Drive

And again.

The next information session will be held on Tue 19 Jan 2010, usual time and place.

Applications close on 28 Jan 2010.

Busnerd

Oh so they are open again, thought they'd come around this time...shame I've decided to stay up here :(

smitho

WIN TV News (Canberra Bulletin) had a good feature on the start of ACTION's campaign to recruit 100 new drivers this year - emphasis was on ACTION's efforts to try and attract female drivers.

Liz Clarke was interviewed as was one of the female driver/instructors from Tuggeranong Depot; she said how easy it is to drive buses in ACT compared with Sydney (I think she came from Sydney originally).

Feature ended with reporter, Lachlan Kennedy, seated in the driver's seat of what looked like a MAN (or Scania), sporting a red Redex cap and talking about the comfort features of the cab.

Today's edition of 'The Canberra Times' also had a fairly prominent feature on the recruitment campaign. I noticed 10 new driver trainees being introduced to Tuggy Starters last Friday (including one lady) - they would be the tail end of the 2009 intake.

Snorzac

just watched that on the late news. He was sitting in 397 and the driver is actually one of the Tuggies part time trainers I believe.

Apparently there is a CD player on the bus.........

Busnerd

Don't think so, they all have radio's though.

Speaking of CD players, STA's 2108 has one, as the entire bus was basically CDC spec, you can remove the face of it and everything, however it has been disconnected by STA.

smitho

Quote from: King Long on January 20, 2010, 12:29:14 AM
j

Apparently there is a CD player on the bus.........

I think trhe reporter probably mistook the two way radio for a CD player...or was just embellishing his report to make it sound good.

Snorzac

Buzz Killington

tsk tsk, Lachlan should know better!

Barry Drive

The radios in the new MANs do have a CD slot, but it is likely that it is not in use. Will have to have a closer look one of these days to be sure.

smitho

I haven't noticed them in the gas MANs but will take a closer look next time...

Barry Drive

The diesels, not the gas. And I checked - the slot is closed off.

euronymous

haha, yes they definitely need more female drivers. Young and thin ones, too. Although I guess it doesn't really matter, within 6 months everything goes southward.

Become a mechanic instead. driving is boring.

Barry Drive

Next round of driver applications opens 22 July 2010. Information session will be held Tuesday 27 July - 7pm, Pilgrim House.

More details on ACTION's website

p_stampy

Quote from: euronymous on January 30, 2010, 01:18:58 AM
haha, yes they definitely need more female drivers. Young and thin ones, too.

Why? so they can get hit on by morons?

Buzz Killington

Applications are now open for Permanent Part-time Bus Driver positions.

An information session on "Becoming an ACTION Bus Driver" will be conducted at Pilgrim House, corner of Northbourne Ave and Barry Dr, Canberra City at 7pm on Wednesday 3rd November 2010.

Closing date is 11th November 2010.

Applications available from www.jobs.act.gov.au (from 1st November 2010)

Applicant info can be found here

Barry Drive

The next information session will be held on Tuesday 1 February 2011 at 7pm.

Please note new venue: Reception room of the ACT Legislative Assembly building on London Circuit. Entry from Civic Square.

Applications will open 1 February and close 15 February 2011. Job and application details available from www.jobs.act.gov.au (on 1 Feb).

Bus 400

Once again ACTION are looking for bus drivers. This current recruitment session is to be a little different, in that it has no end date in sight. I have however received word that applications close mid next year.

Information, applications, (out of date) driver agreement, etc can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/career_opportunity.html

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 13, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
Once again ACTION are looking for bus drivers. This current recruitment session is to be a little different, in that it has no end date in sight. I have however received word that applications close mid next year.

Information, applications, (out of date) driver agreement, etc can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/career_opportunity.html

Yes, current recruitment campaign is a 'continuing' one although at this stage, it will wind up next May 2012. Recent classes have been quite large (up to 15 trainees) so must be plenty of interest out there.

Buzz Killington

Something a little different - applications are open for Apprentice Diesel and Heavy Vehicle Mechanics

https://www.action.act.gov.au/apprentice.html

Quote from: ACTION WebsiteApplicant's seeking assistance in addressing the selection criteria can seek assistance from various sources such as:
Yet they specify that they want people that have a Year 10 Certificate with a passing grade in English :P

Kramden

Spelling and punctuation is evidently not a strong point in the application process.  My letter of offer to join the driver training course in August has four errors on the front page alone.  The main thing is, it reads well and can be understood.

We can snigger at such errors but I guess we need to keep in mind that ACTION is a public transport organisation not a home for literal accuracy, e.g. Hansard. 

Buzz Killington

Eh. If I hadn't have pointed it out, we all know 'ACTbusspotter' would have :)

Kramden

Hmmm, I see.  Does that mean we have an apostrophe Nazi in our midst?  I must admit to a preference for correct grammar on most things ...except when texting/abbreviating.

Buzz Killington

Misplaced apostrophes are a bit of a bug bear of mine..

Quote from: Kramden on July 25, 2011, 08:10:02 PM
I must admit to a preference for correct grammar.

You and ACTbusspotter are set to be the best of friends!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Kramden on July 25, 2011, 08:10:02 PM
Hmmm, I see.  Does that mean we have an apostrophe Nazi in our midst?  I must admit to a preference for correct grammar on most things ...except when texting/abbreviating.
As Metrobus can attest, I don't make that exception. AFAIC, "your" is NEVER an acceptable substitute for "you're".

By the way, as a grammar grump, what's wrong with the sentence shown in my avatar?

Kramden

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on July 25, 2011, 10:18:31 PM... what's wrong with the sentence shown in my avatar?

I'd say it is missing a verb. Surveillance cameras are on this bus. In that instance it's a plural verb because there is more than one camera.  If the statement read surveillance camera on this bus then a singular verb would be required, e.g. surveillance camera is on this bus.

In my experience I've seen a lot of signage containing imperfect grammar.  As a grammar grump I just 'suck it up'.  In the case of the blue surveillance sign I'm sure the purpose is awareness that cameras ARE present.  Whether they're actually switched on or properly recording is another matter.

I'm with you on the correct use of your and you're.  What about there, their and they're?

Ed

Looks like they're not just looking for drivers, but mechanics as well. ACTION has certainly come out all guns blazing in regards to this current recruitment drive.

smitho

783 was parked outside the admin building yesterday (depot side) so that driver applicants attending their interviews could also be tested on their physical capacity to open and shut things on a bus ...it was back parked in the usual spot today. This bus does not carry a "Training Bus' vinyl. No MyWay kit of course.

Kramden

The latest driver training course began today at B depot.  10 newbies on board, classroom bound for first few days of induction issues. Loads of forms to fill out, discussions about OH&S, customer service, working conditions, assisting vision impaired passengers...and the biggie - consequences when the park brake is not properly engaged.  Nice video of a runaway bus!   

smitho

First Basic Driver Training course for 2012 was due to finish today (Friday 9th).

smitho

First public recruiting meeting in a while held last Wednesday evening in Pilgrim House, Civic.

Bus driving experiences for general public again held at TISC open day on Sunday 31st Oct, with two Renaults (859 & 861) and a steer tag available to drive as well as a Scania artic on display. DTG/Transborder also had some display vehicles.

Kramden

Quote from: smitho on October 03, 2012, 12:41:03 AM
... with two Renaults (859 & 861) and a steer tag available to drive as well as a Scania artic on display.

Great memories of when I first took the wheel of an ACTION vehicle at TISC's big day out in May 2011.  Was there a really change this year's program in that punters (with a C class licence) could line up to drive a tag bus as well as a standard?

Hope it was a great day.  Certainly proved to be a life changer for me last year.   

Bus 400

Quote from: Kramden on October 03, 2012, 06:00:57 AM
Was there a really change this year's program in that punters (with a C class licence) could line up to drive a tag bus as well as a standard?

I only saw Bus 475 being taken around once with a trainer in tow. Us unexperienced appeared to only be give either Renaults (859 for me). Otherwise members of the public were given a ride for a lap of honour in 475.

smitho

Yes, I don't think 475 was available for any licence holding member of the public to drive ....although it was beuing put through its paces by several selected drivers while we were there.

Barry Drive

The 2014 ACTION driver recruitment process is open. Details on ACTION's website.

From the information contained in the "information pack", the recruitment period ends on 30 June 2014.

Barry Drive

Update: current round of recruitment closes on Friday 27 June 2014.

http://www.action.act.gov.au/About_ACTION/careers

smitho

Understand that recruiting will resume in November 2014.

Barry Drive

The next driver information session will be held on Tuesday 8 March 2016 at 7pm, Exhibition Park. Applications will open the following day.

For more information, view the ACTION website

Barry Drive

Driver recruitment is underway.

Refer here: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/about/contact-us/careers

Applications open next Friday 23 March.

Stan butler

Quote from: Barry Drive on March 16, 2018, 11:01:08 AM
Driver recruitment is underway.

Refer here: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/about/contact-us/careers

Applications open next Friday 23 March.

So who here is going to apply?

Sylvan Loves Buses

I would've a year ago, but life changed slightly when I left high school.

Barry Drive

Not drivers this time, applications for Cleaner / Fuellers are now open. Full details can be found here.

Applications close 24 August 2018.

Toyota Camry

Transport Canberra is advertising for drivers; I am considering applying myself, if they could offer only weekend or after hours work, as I am engaged by the APS during the week. The pay rate is quite low by my standards; but it may be high to some.

https://www.jobs.act.gov.au/jobs/transport-canberra-and-city-services/temporary/sdc006,-several

Bus 400

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 17, 2018, 08:41:28 PM
Transport Canberra is advertising for drivers; I am considering applying myself, if they could offer only weekend or after hours work, as I am engaged by the APS during the week. The pay rate is quite low by my standards; but it may be high to some.

https://www.jobs.act.gov.au/jobs/transport-canberra-and-city-services/temporary/sdc006,-several

You may actually want to read the ad, considering the ad is for weekend drivers.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Next driver information session will be held at Ainslie Football Club on 12 February.

Toyota Camry

Transport Canberra are now hiring drivers again, for part time and casual roles; the links related to these positions are provided below, including position descriptions. My personal recommendation is to carefully study the selection criteria before wording your pitch; whilst I do not have any ACTPS experience, I am aware that their recruitment process is similar to the APS, in which that your application will be judged primarily on how you address the stated criteria in your one page 'pitch'.

If this is your desired career path, it may be a good chance to apply; I believe that one regular contributor to this side "Snoreac" claimed earlier to be successful in obtaining a position earlier this year, so it would not be unprecedented for a member of this site to be successful in making a career change to the ACTPS in bus operations.

https://www.jobs.act.gov.au/jobs/transport-canberra-and-city-services/permanent/ndrt01,-several
https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news/news-and-events-items/july-2019/part-time-and-casual-bus-operator-positions

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I certainly would have by now had my life choices in high school not changed course.

Quote from: Toyota Camry on July 23, 2019, 04:55:52 PMyour application will be judged primarily on how you address the stated criteria in your one page 'pitch'.

That's very good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Although my heart is less set on being a bus driver now. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a bus driver for ACTION, not Transport Canberra.

Busnerd

It is the same operator, yes the name has changed, don't let that put you off working there, whether it's a CSA, Apprentice, Mechanic, Fueller/Cleaner, Driver or above, can't hurt to apply.