Telfords Volvo B7RLE Cummins

Started by ScaniaDriver, August 14, 2009, 01:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScaniaDriver

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in or not but here we go.

On Wednesday night, I was lucky enough to get a chance to drive the new Telfords Volvo B7RLE Cummins semi-coach, TV 5819 on route 20 from Central to Chatswood limited stops. Boy, from the first minute, I absolutely fell in love with this vehicle. Where do I start? The acceleration was breathtaking. The brakes were smooth, even with the retarder on. Minimal body roll even if it is 3.7m high. It was quite, it had a nice turbo whistle to it, not too light and not heavy steering (just right), comfy ride for passengers...it would be easier to list the bad things about it, so I'll do it. I only found two flaws with it:

1. The cabin is tiny. Anyone who is tall like me or really fat will have problems in this bus. Its crammed.
2. The handbrake takes around 2-3 seconds to fully release, which is a pain, cause when you release it, the bus/coach wants to go but it crawls. So stop at a red light with just the peddles and then take off - absolutely spectacular. It was a 3.5 hour shift but it felt like I drove it for 3.5 mins.

If anyone is in Sydney and rail is on where Telfords operate, definitely go for a ride on one of these (Telfords currently have two, 5819 and 5879 although Ken says 5879 changes gears too early).

I'm on a break at work whilst writing this but when I get home, I'll post a photo to go with this post.

I am still a Scania driver (haha I love them), overall they're still my favourite buses, but this thing is the best thing I have driven.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: ScaniaDriver on August 14, 2009, 01:58:39 PM
1. The cabin is tiny. Anyone who is tall like me or really fat will have problems in this bus. Its crammed.
That rules Riad out :P
Oh, and me too  :(

Thanks for letting us know how it performs, I for one was intrigued by a Cummins B7, pleased to hear it was quite good.
It sounds like I'd be obsessed with it, I love a good turbo whine.
BTW, forgive my ignorance, but what gearbox has it got? ZF?

I'd be interested to see how the Malaysian body holds up after a few months, It looks great, but I'd definately question the quality of build.