Jane Sutherland St Conder loses services

Started by Buzz Killington, February 20, 2009, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

According to ACTION, from Monday (23 Feb 09), the following routes will no longer travel via Jane Sutherland St, Conder:

019, 319, 500, 525, 526, 568, 583, 665, 888, 893 and 897.

785 and 788 appear to be unchanged.

Anyone know why? Patronage? Roadworks? Might have to go for a cruise down there at some stage and check it out.

Gotta feel sorry for the Conder folks - first they lose the services along Charterisville Av/Handasyde St, and now this too.

Bus 400

Isn't this new way, the way that at one stage the old 13 south went when the 18 was introduced? But with one of the networks, the 18 was deleted & 13 south was altered?

Also, I am just curious as to where you got this information about the 19/319 changing? The ACTION website only has the school route changes. But when I have been along Jane Sutherland it is a tad narrow or the speed humps may be too high?

Buzz Killington

http://www.action.act.gov.au/Weekday-2008Network/Route_19_319.html

Jane Sutherland St is fairly narrow, equivalent to your average Gungahlin street, but the buses have been using it for years, and the speed bumps havent caused any problems.

Bus 400

Going by the map the 913/914 use Templestowe-which is wider.

Irisbus Rider

Apparently it is something to do with the fact that the bus stops are unsafe to stop at (according to ACTION), one of the drivers may be able to shed more light on this matter. Apparently, no one at the depot was informed of this until recently, 2 weeks into the closure.

Bus 400

Well if you attempt to overtake a stopped bus, you can't see past the bus & some stops are near corners where a child could cross after the bus & not see a car coming the other way.

Irisbus Rider

Thats why, theoretically, they're supposed to wait until the bus departs the bus stop. Never ever happens though.

Bus 400

But another reason is an artic (which most school services are) MAN (which most 19/319 are) can't pass one another on Jane Sutherland.

Buzz Killington

I went for a drive down Jane Sutherland St earlier this afternoon and the notice on each bus stop states that it due to "safety concerns"

Also, just before the intersection with Templestowe is almost a blind corner on a very narrow street. I remember once or twice in the past i've turned into the street and nearly been cleaned up by a bus, even if I'm well within my side of the road.

Bus 400

Well I know that the stop on Anthony Rolfe Street AT the intersection with DeBortli St, which meant that the stop for 55 was moved onto DeBortli St.

Bus 400

Went down there this afternoon. I think it has to do with its northern intersection with Templestowe Ave.

Bus 400

As per my above post, Here is Part 2: This is because for a bus to enter Jane Sutherland has to use all of Jane Sutherland & if someone comes around there fast, or another bus, then they are stuck. Many a time when I've been on an old 313 south, I have encounted vechiles slamming on their brakes to avoid the bus. I suspect that the 785 & 788 has also been altered as the signs say "Bus Stop Closed." When if just  few routes were altered, it would be a "Service Change" poster. I wouldn't be surprised if next week, the ACTION bus stop grim reepers will be out there & putting those stops up in Forde in the next few months.

Bus 400

I went up Jane Sutherland Street on Saturday & almost 2 months later, the bus stops are still up, with 1 sign missing (maybe from a bus fanatic?). But they all mostly have the "Bus Stop Closed" signs on them.