Alternative / Electric bus trial

Started by Barry Drive, June 29, 2017, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

New topic. For if or when someone has some news.

Barry Drive

The contract for the Volvo B5RLEH Bustech hybrid diesel has been posted to the ACT Tenders website.

( https://tenders.act.gov.au/ets/contract/view.do?id=42605&returnUrl=%252Fcontract%252Flist.do%253F%2524%257Brequest.queryString%257D )

Contract expires at end of September 2018.

No information on when the bus will enter service.

Busnerd

Wonder if Bustech will submit a tender since they now have electric vehicles in Adelaide.

Barry Drive

Tenders closed a while back.

They have not released who were the tenderers, nor made any announcement about which or how many buses will be used on the trial.

The contract with Volvo prevents them from making any publicity announcement without Transport Canberra's approval. So there could quite easily be a ZDi being built now for this trial without anyone knowing.

triumph

The detail released about the contract in Schedule 2, Item 1  states The Bus: Volvo B5RELH Euro 5 chassis Bustech VST USED with less than 25,000km of service.

Furthermore delivery date quoted in the schedule is 1st July 2017 at 5pm.
That is very specific and precedes the agreement date of 17thy July.

It seems that a specific existing bus is contemplated and is probably a company demonstrator already available. On that basis it might reasonably expected to be delivered and in service within a few weeks.

Busfanatic101

The following is from the today's sighting thread:

Quote from: King of Buses on July 03, 2017, 01:46:47 PM
Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 03, 2017, 01:40:46 PM
There is a TFNSW liveried Bustech bodied standard sized bus with the NSW Waratah insignia parked near the workshop in Tuggeranong Bus Station, glimpsed when we drove past today. Does anyone know what it's doing there. I'm guessing it is a new arrival given it hasn't been mentioned here.
It was first sighted at Tuggeranong Depot last Friday.

Further discussion concerning it I'd suggest take place here (http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4236.0), as I'm fairly sure your sighting and this topic are concerning one the same thing.

The Friday mentioned is 30 June, so the arrival date, depot, bus body, and used all match up to this contract, supporting KoB's hunch).
I agree with triumph about the contract referring to a specific bus, though it seems it has been here for the past month and a half.
There is nothing in the contract to suggest the will be more than one bus, so unless they put out an additional tender it could be just be the one bus. I guess it is cheaper that way in the short term...

Busnerd

With NSW Waratah? They haven't used that for ages, they use "the hop" now. The Waratah hasn't been used for a few years now.

Busfanatic101

A little more background here, though much of it is now reflected in the fleetwiki. It seems there have only ever been at most 2 Volvo hybrids with a Bustech Body
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84838
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=79659

King of Buses

710 (BYD Toro/Gemilang) and 712 (Volvo B5RLEH/Bustech VSTH) were launched this morning to the media.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Of course I missed it...

and I traveled through civic twice on Friday too.... ffs

Busfanatic101

Is there any known reason for the fleet numbers 710-12 being used
eg. past trial buses, or perhaps there is likely to be a new order of 68 buses in the next year?

Barry Drive

No reason known. I can think of many other numbers which would have been more appropriate.

My guess is so that they can continue adding new buses over the next 18 months without disruption. And then by the time 710 is needed, the trial buses will have left.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on September 07, 2017, 11:25:45 PM
710 (56) first boarding (and sighting). It was pretty cool, sounds so different, though the brakes seemed less effective and jerky, you notice the clatter more because of the quieter engine (which does not make for a quieter trip overall) and the interior is a little more bland. The front > < shaped LED lights that I hadn't noticed from initial photos are cool

For those who haven't seen this. A review of the Carbridge (BYD) Toro: https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/1703/video-review-carbridgetoroebus

Explains that it requires a different technique to driving - especially braking.

triumph

Interesting that the model is named TORO. This is the brand used for many years for a range of mowing and irrigation equipment. So, has the use of the name for the bus been licenced, or has this brand user been ignored, or is there an ultimate ownwership tie up, or .........?

triumph

Beginning to wonder if 712 is actually out and about.

No 'what bus did you ride today' reports after launch and I have not sighted it yet.
Contrast with 710, reported as ridden by several forum members, and I have sighted it twice and ridden once already.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: triumph on September 14, 2017, 11:40:07 AM
Beginning to wonder if 712 is actually out and about.

No 'what bus did you ride today' reports after launch and I have not sighted it yet.
Contrast with 710, reported as ridden by several forum members, and I have sighted it twice and ridden once already.

I saw it once on Northbourne mid last week and twice yesterday at Woden bus station doing 316S in the morning and in the afternoon a outbound 26 (my old school bus driver from a year or 2 ago)

Sylvan Loves Buses

For the first week or so they weren't being used until the afternoon that I noticed, but since last week 710 and 712 are around.

From what I can tell from the past couple of days is that 710 appears to be on the one shift, as I've seen it do the 200N at XX:XXpm from the city on two occasions now - both times I missed it :(

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 14, 2017, 12:31:35 PM
For the first week or so they weren't being used until the afternoon that I noticed, but since last week 710 and 712 are around. From what I can tell from the past couple of days is that 710 appears to be on the one shift, as I've seen it do the 200N at XX:XXpm from the city on two occasions now - both times I missed it :(

710 has been on the same shift all 3 times I was there to see it at the right time since last Thursday (259 seeing X:XXpm), and 712 as well for the last 2 days (26W around X:XXpm)

Are drivers undergoing specific training to drive these?

And as I was typing this 710 came past a little bit lost on the first 9ZZ of the morning.

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's possible that like 490b they'll either be shared with a select number of drivers, that or it's being used like a flow shift bus, going from one driver to another each week - that's what I think, but to find out properly you'd probably have to ask one of the depot managers.

Barry Drive

The second BYD is due to be delivered today, based on the contract anyway.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Why was the 3rd bus delayed for several months, when the trial is for a year, won't that mean 711 will only be trialled for a shorter period, or does it get a year too?

Sylvan Loves Buses

It still says on the wiki that 711 was expected in Dec 2017. I've been around the depot a couple of times since, but haven't seen any signs of it, not of it on the roads being used. What's going on? Are we getting 2 electric bus trials or 3?

Buzz Killington

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok, well I got confirmation from the CEO of ACTION yesterday that it will commence service at the end of February.

Barry Drive

Unless it has arrived this week, I can't see that happening.

Peter Bakos

It appears the government now wants to buy another 40 of these alternative energy buses for 2018-19. See here:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-government-eyes-electric-buses-for-201819-bulkbuy-20180206-h0uewm.html

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 06, 2018, 01:23:11 PMOk, well I got confirmation from the CEO of ACTION yesterday that it will commence service at the end of February.
Yeah, but February which year?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Why are you asking me that, I don't work for ACTION, how am I supposed to know?

Snorzac

You're the expert that talks to the "ACTION CEO"on a regular basis it seems, I thought someone like yourself would know this stuff....

Sylvan Loves Buses

Someone's been spreading lies about me again, typical... I don't know what you've been told, but I only got to talk to him for a few seconds cause he was at the last RATEC meeting, and 711 came up during the discussion about the alternative energy buses coming in the near future, and I asked about the delivery, that's it...

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on March 02, 2018, 03:01:57 PM
Yeah, but February which year?
I apologise for my use of this "Dad Joke".

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was wondering why the electric buses haven't been being used recently and I realised yesterday, the year trial is pretty much over now. So much for 711, they only just got and now the trial is up. That was certainly executed well...

What now, does TC keep them, return them, what?

The trial started in August, so hardly a year yet. https://amp.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberras-first-electric-and-hybrid-buses-go-into-service-on-monday-20170825-gy3x0r.html

Why would they deliver a brand new bus in full TC livery only not to use it?

I've seen both 710 and 712 on the road recently. There are many reasons why they could be off the road temporarily - electrical, for instance.

King of Buses

Quote from: 743 on April 18, 2018, 06:08:29 PM

Fun fact: Under the "I'm Electric" wrap, 710 also has the same "TC livery" as 711 (it's close, but it is missing the white stripe separating the blue and grey).

Bear in mind 710 sat around for a while before entering service, too. Unlike 711, however, its presence was less obvious as it was stashed away out of sight for a while between its initial sighting (within 24 hours of its delivery) and its first appearance on the bricks at Tuggeranong in its wrap, prior to its official launch.

712 experienced something similar, but wasn't hidden quite as well. It spent most of its time before being wrapped on the bricks at Tuggeranong, standing out like a sore thumb with its TfNSW livery.

I expect 711 will be in service in the next month or so depending on whether they're waiting for any infrastructure relating to it or not to be built or made available. It is also possible it will enter service at around the same time as the first Optimus rigid(s).

And, come August, I'd say that if TC plan on purchasing some more BYD/Gemilangs and/or Volvo B5/VSTHs buses there would be a chance they will purchase some/all of these demonstrators from the company/companies they have leased them from, and then make further orders. It is also possible that if they do wish to purchase some electric or hybrid buses they might order different types such as a Bustech ZDi or whatever (it'll be put out to tender if they want more, I imagine).

Sylvan Loves Buses

As long as they don't smell as bad as 710 does internally, that'll certainly be a nice improvement to the fleet - too many noisy buses atm.

verbatim9

The trial started in August, so hardly a year yet. https://amp.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberras-first-electric-and-hybrid-buses-go-into-service-on-monday-20170825-gy3x0r.html

I've seen both 710 and 712 on the road recently. There are many reasons why they could be off the road temporarily - electrical, for instance.
I think they are using the same electric buses at Brisbane Airport for Terminal Transfers and out to Skygate. They were meant to start in February but I haven't seen or been on one yet.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/brisbane-airport-signs-25m-bus-contract-ahead-of-proposed-monorail-20170605-gwkwk2.html

BYD Expands Electric Bus Fleet Brisbane Airport | #ElectricCar #zeroemission #sustainability #clean | @ECarsReport https://t.co/LrzNtGLnI1 https://t.co/aAAG1nbS3D

Very impressed to check-out the first @BrisbaneAirport fully-electric bus today. Council is keen to learn from the team at the airport to see how this technology performs in day-to-day operations. https://t.co/RJOwMOzIm6

Stan butler

Maybe they have an issue and had to be taken off the road.  It could be some engineering problem, or they don't meet specific requirements.  Don't forget, it is/was a trial, so if something is wrong then they would need to come of the road to be checked or fixed.

Busnerd

Carbridge have been using the Electric Vehicles on their Blue Emu Carpark shuttle for a couple of years now in Sydney.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok, and now for some reason 711 is sitting around the back of Belconnen Depot, saw it yesterday as I passed by on a 343 to Macgregor (and confirmed on the way back). Although it could be 652 as I couldn't see the number, but I'm a little confused as I just watched the news from last year on YT, are the next 80 buses electric or standard?

Busnerd

There is no electric or Hybrid buses on order.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on May 10, 2018, 11:00:08 PM
So has anyone seen the electric buses in service lately?

I got 710 today, and it was apparently taken off the roads recently due to a brake issue. 712 has been around, yes.
I have yet to go to Belconnen to check out if 711 is still where I saw it the other day of if it's something else entirely.

Sylvan Loves Buses

So on the wiki it says 711 has entered service. Anyone seen/ridden it yet?

King of Buses

Fairly sure the wiki has said "expected in service soon," but anyway, it doesn't matter anymore - 711 entered service this morning.

triumph

Saw and rode 711 for the first time on a route 44 service today. My impression is that the motor whine is a lot less intrusive than that experienced in 710 which can only be good.
A few body rattles are already evident, but 710 is now much rattlier. It would be a pity if body durability were to count against future electric bus acquisitions.

Sylvan Loves Buses

triumph

I haven't noticed any particular whiff on either 710 or 711. Perhaps the whiff was temporary from something caused by a passenger, or may be an electrical component was giving up the ghost and stinking (some types of materials used in electronic and electric components when being fried have very strong stinks. I experience an old fluorescent light blowing up at work. It rendered the whole office uninhabitable for several hours till the bromine like smell dissipated).

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's probably that electronic component you speak of, cause all the other buses have that same fresh smell the Iris and Scanias had when they were new. I've ridden 710 a couple of times now, and although it has lessened now, that same smell I pick up from it is still there.
I may or may not have mentioned it before, but the first time I ever rode it, it was a full 300N so I presumed the smell was from someone, but the second time was weeks later with no one being on it for a while due to the drivers meal break and it was the same scent. Whatever it is, 712 doesn't have it, so it's either some part of the bus or an electrical part 712 doesn't use.

triumph

Second ride today on 711. Rte 718 all the way from City to Lanyon. Again the whine is a lot less intrusive than that of 710. Having recently had a similar Xpresso ride in a PR100.3 to Lanyon, the comparison of ride quality was disappointing. 711 jarred much more on road irregularities, which may be why the bodies of 710, particularly, and 711 exhibit quite a few rattles.

The driver remarked that he specifically sought to drive these buses so he could claim the kudos. 

triumph

There is a rumour that the alternative energy bus evaluation is to terminate at the end of this month. Can anyone verify this? If so, all 3, or....?

Whatever, it seems wise that anyone still looking to ride should try and do so very soon.

Busnerd

I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on October 12, 2018, 11:58:09 PM
I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

It would be a pity if non-electrical aspects such as suspension, body durability, and the like were to dominate the evaluation.

The question of moving towards an all electric fleet is interesting. There are aspects less obvious than vehicle evaluation and suitability. A major one relates to recharging, particularly the investment necessary to set up multiple charge points for a for a significant fleet, say 50 buses to start with, but within a few years a great many more, and the power supply thereto. What will be the energy demand? How much will the electricity supply system need to be upgraded to meet that? How much can covering the depot roof with solar help? New feeders and sub-station is a worst case. Overall how cost effective? It is on these aspects rather than direct vehicle supply, operation, and maintenance costs on which the evaluation might turn.  I have seen no recharge data so can't begin to guess at any answers. 

Barry Drive

Checked the contract register. Both the Volvo and Carbridge contracts have been extended to 1 December 2018.

So if not the end of this month, perhaps not long afterwards, allowing time for the buses to decommissioned before being returned to their owners.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 13, 2018, 10:48:30 AM
So if not the end of this month, perhaps not long afterwards, allowing time for the buses to decommissioned before being returned to their owners.

Went past Tuggeranong Depot this afternoon (on a 313 to Lanyon that was running 16 mins early!) and noticed a Bustech in TfNSW livery and a BYD in quasi-TC livery. Given 711 was still in service today, I'd say that 710 and 712 have been unwrapped and are currently being decommissioned.

triumph

Quote from: King of Buses on November 12, 2018, 06:19:56 PM
Given 711 was still in service today, I'd say that 710 and 712 have been unwrapped and are currently being decommissioned.

Might be a good idea to keep a lookout and report any sightings of 711.

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on November 13, 2018, 01:12:53 PM
Might be a good idea to keep a lookout and report any sightings of 711.

It's out again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota Camry

Today, the below trip was operated by a Renault PR100.2; until recently it had been a regular PR100.2 run, but several weeks ago had been taken over by bus 712. I suspect that bus 712 may not be running; this may be why there was a PR100.2 on it again.

(313) XX:XX Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Toyota Camry on November 13, 2018, 04:31:23 PM(313) XX:XX Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus
My apologies, that information was incorrect; these are the correct trips that were operated by 712, but is today was a Tuggeranong PR100.2 again.

(313) XX:XX Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus
(14) XX:XX Fraser West Terminus to Emu Bank McDonalds

Snorzac

712 has been withdrawn and the wrap has been taken off, this data is irrelevant even before it was withdrawn as the buses were never assigned to a particular shift or driver and any pattern which may have occurred was purely coincidental

Sylvan Loves Buses

I have a pretty good list of routes that the few drivers who did use these buses, but if you want to know them you'll have to private message me.

Bus 503

Quote from: Snorzac on November 13, 2018, 05:25:29 PM
712 has been withdrawn and the wrap has been taken off, this data is irrelevant even before it was withdrawn as the buses were never assigned to a particular shift or driver and any pattern which may have occurred was purely coincidental

No, there are some shifts that do regularly receive 710–712.

Snorzac

But there is no pattern to it, they don't have set shifts for the trial, if the driver is trained and the bus is available then it's allocated to that driver. Particularly in 712s case this is a very limited number of drivers. Any pattern that appeared is purely coincidental.

Toyota Camry

It must have been a major coincidence that bus 712 was operating those trips on every working day; with those odds, I will be purchasing a lottery ticket.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Snorzac on November 14, 2018, 06:35:48 AM
But there is no pattern to it, they don't have set shifts for the trial, if the driver is trained and the bus is available then it's allocated to that driver. Particularly in 712s case this is a very limited number of drivers. Any pattern that appeared is purely coincidental.

That is a pattern - bus regularly being driven by select drivers often doing select shifts. While there is some element of chance, some outliers, there are definitely clear trends in allocation and not enough chance to be considered purely coincidental.

I can't believe we're all debating this... seriously

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 14, 2018, 02:45:09 PMI can't believe we're all debating this... seriously

Yeah I know right. I know which drivers who were allocated to each bus by face, and so, most of their runs, so it was easy to know which of the routes albeit only really their last few evening runs, but any other time they would use their normal allocated buses - Mostly P2 and Scania/MAN CNG shifts.

Toyota Camry

Bus 711 operated the below trip today.

(7) National Museum to Cohen Street Bus Station

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 14, 2018, 02:45:09 PM

That is a pattern - bus regularly being driven by select drivers often doing select shifts. While there is some element of chance, some outliers, there are definitely clear trends in allocation and not enough chance to be considered purely coincidental.

I can't believe we're all debating this... seriously

As far as I can tell, the outliers occur when the driver of a shift is what I call a "fill-in driver", who fills in for the regular driver, which is why reporting those occurrences when the trial buses are operating those shifts is not necessary because it probably won't happen again.

I am wondering if Barry Drive can advise us whether reporting specific times that certain buses can be spotted is allowed, as is being done here. I have a previous personal message stating that reporting specific locations of certain buses is not allowed (when I asked if it was OK to post sightings of the electric buses), but sightings are being reported on PR3s and now the electric buses. Also, it seems that while reporting regular occurrences of certain buses operating the same routes are banned ('shift buses'), it is not banned to report PR3 trips or electric bus trips, so I see it all as being quite contradictory.
Can we please have a clean-up of the muddy rules surrounding this topic?

Sylvan Loves Buses

I can tell you from experience I've been banned for revealing that sort of thing as it's a breach of privacy, so I would say don't risk it.
712 once appeared on a 64N one afternoon, a few minutes right after my regular bus passed my stop only to go the other way at the Livingston intersection. It certainly happened often, but I can agree it probably won't happen again, the trial is very near ending.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Snorzac on November 13, 2018, 05:25:29 PM712 has been withdrawn and the wrap has been taken off...

If I hadn't been paying much attention to this page or was still not on this forum, I would've just assumed this was another trial bus or something. Funny to see a bus with the new NSW livery again, looks so different to when it had its 'I'm Electric' wrap on it.
Tuggeranong Depot has had a fence upgrade to part of the behind, most of the barbed wired fence is still there, but a similar styled one to Belconnen is there too now.

Such a shame though, really enjoyed the electric buses while they lasted, hope it's not too long before we get them again. (I'm saying this now cause fat chance I'm getting 711 again)

triumph

711 out today, At XX:XXam passing Hockey Centre rte 7 to Museum.

Barry Drive

So far there is no further contract variation or purchase contract listed. But given 711's continued use, I'd have to think one of these is likely.

Busnerd

Thanks for getting those photos, I've only seen one very small photo of the TORO in fake TC Livery, so it's nice to have another version of it, still find it weird they even painted them up in that livery to begin with, being a demo you'd think it would stay white, although the blue emu livery is a similar blue so they could still sticker over it and it should match closely enough, unless of course they send it to another airport.

I didn't mind the buses so would be happy to keep them on if TC deems the trial a success and wishes to buy them, although I'd expect they'd possibly want to make some changes to the bodies, although that's just a personal opinion with no basis, but having a single leaf rear door could easily add another 2 seats.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 13, 2018, 10:48:30 AM
Checked the contract register. Both the Volvo and Carbridge contracts have been extended to 1 December 2018.

It is happening for 710 and 712, but what about 711 which is still in service?

Is it simply that the maximum use of 711 before the end of the month is being pursued? Or can it be speculated, due to the original contract being for a 12month trial period, that 711 will remain in service to see out a full 12months service period?

I doubt that acquisition of any of the trial buses is likely. From a fleet perspective, the trial buses are operational orphans requiring separate driver training, different servicing and maintenance requirements, and (particularly 711) different capacities to the present regular fleet buses to integrate into schedules. It has previously been mentioned in this thread that no electric/hybrid fleet order is in place. Further, there is no guarantee, following a tender process, that a near future order would result in a tranche into which the present trial buses could integrate.

Barry Drive

I checked the Carbridge contract to see if it could provide answers. It doesn't.

Only the original contract is published, not the variation  - which is probably where the answer might be found.

The original contract ties the lease term to the first vehicle, but it also stated the second vehicle (711) would be delivered by December 2017.

One thing of note: the contract states TC must deregister the vehicle before handing it back. This has occurred for 710 & 712.

Conclusion: [emoji2369] I think 711 will be around for a few more months.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 22, 2018, 11:01:05 AM
Conclusion: [emoji2369] I think 711 will be around for a few more months.

711 was at Cohen Street Bus Station last Tuesday morning - been seen out and about since? Hope so.

Busnerd

Was in service on Northbourne Ave this afternoon.

triumph

711 (assumed, it still had the 'electric' wrap) noted parked in Tuggeranong Depot mid afternoon. There have been no reports of in-service sightings so far this week - has it been out and about?

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on November 28, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
711 (assumed, it still had the 'electric' wrap) noted parked in Tuggeranong Depot mid afternoon. There have been no reports of in-service sightings so far this week - has it been out and about?

Yes.

fleecyfingers

711 is indeed in service, it completed a northbound 57 this evening.

triumph

Quote from: fleecyfingers on December 20, 2018, 08:03:00 PM
711 is indeed in service , it completed a northbound 57 this evening
Also rte 313 N ex City about XX:XXpm Thurs 20th (yesterday).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 16, 2018, 08:21:41 PM
I am wondering if Barry Drive can advise us whether reporting specific times that certain buses can be spotted is allowed, as is being done here.

Can we please have a clean-up of the muddy rules surrounding this topic?
After much thought, can we please not give specific time and route information.

You can continue to give Route number provided a specific time is not mentioned.

For example: "I saw Bus 711 on Route 7 this morning" is acceptable. "I noticed 711 on Northbourne Ave this afternoon" is also acceptable.

"Bus 711 operated Route 5 departing Belconnen at 12:15 today" would not be acceptable (if such a route existed).

Existing posts which do not meet this standard will be edited or removed.

Thank you.

Bus 503

711 was on a morning route 319 on Friday and was on a route 171 in the evening.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Walked by T depot today. Didn't see 710 nor 711, so I'd assume 711 is either in use today or has been moved somewhere I couldn't see.

Bus 503

711 is in service today and was on route 935 this morning.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 26, 2018, 12:42:58 PM
711 is in service today and was on route 935 this morning.
It also operated route 200 to Gungahlin Place this afternoon; however in line with this site's new censorship policy, I will not be stating which trip.

Busnerd

It also operated a southbound 200 presumably shortly after, saw it passing by my place in the mid afternoon.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Assuming 710 hasn't been re-wrapped, 711 was sitting between some other buses this evening just gone as I passed by Tuggeranong Depot.

triumph

711 was out and about today. Was on a route 14 early afternoon.

Barry Drive

Last confirmed in-service sighting of 711 was Thursday 14 February.

lukeo25

I spotted 711 this evening on Drakeford Drive / Tuggeranong Parkway going toward Tuggeranong out of service.

King of Buses

A naked quasi-TC liveried BYD Toro (believed to be 711) was spotted on the back of a low loader this afternoon believed to be heading out of Canberra. So that's that.

triumph

Now that operation of the 3 trial buses is concluded, presumably TC will complete evaluation.
At present (to my knowledge), a missing evaluation input is that of customer experience and views. I doubt that TC will seek this unless prompted by significant influencers.
Perhaps now is the time to proactively submit customer experience feedback to TC before the evaluation is completed purely on technical, economic and industrial aspects.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well if they want my opinion, they need to use a different perfume on the BYD's.

Barry Drive

Last year in the Canberra Times, this was reported:

Quote from: undefinedThe hybrid bus has been on 487 trips, used 3966 litres of diesel (the control buses used about four times as much diesel) and broken down twice.

I found this rather surprising at the time and it seems my skepticism was well-founded. Based on yesterday's media release from Chris Steel, the official results say something different: comparative energy efficiency – 938.4 GJ/year for a Euro VI Scania vs 686.6 GJ/year for a Volvo B5RLEH. That's assuming that a "year" represents an equal measure of work.

The media release does not provide any further clues as to what may be purchased next, although it does suggest they may be considering options other than BYD/Carbridge.

Barry Drive

Both of the BYD buses have found new homes within the Carbridge group.

710 is now operating at Brisbane Airport [EV12] (and has possibly been there since January 2019) and 711 is Perth Airport's first electric carpark shuttle [EV14].