Bus 390-Tuggeranong Workshop

Started by Bus 400, September 10, 2009, 07:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

It was the best angle I could get, but here is bus 390.

Buzz Killington

Edited to include the 'SCOOP' icon.

Thanks for the pic TP3000. The logo on the right looks a bit silly IMO.

Bus 400

Is anyone able to explain the sentence on top of the bus

"FIRST ACTION MAN EURO 5 LOW FLOOR LOW EMISSION WITHOUT ADDITIVES"

Also am I right in saying that this bus can seat 44 & have 22 standing?

Irisbus Rider

The bus does not require AdBlue, something some other manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo) require to achieve the Euro V rating.

Yeah, I think that MAN logo looks 'wanky', don't like it.

Might take me a while to get used to seeing these buses without a pod lol!

Oh, and yeah, apparently, it can stand more due to the lack of CNG tanks. It seats only 44? That's quite pathetic, most other new buses can seat 48+.

Busnerd

It means that it actions first euro 5 bus that is just euro 5, without the use of ad blue or anything of the like, hence additives.

Buzz Killington

surely there's enough room there for them to have had the MAN logo level, rather than on an angle.

Busnerd

Its so weird seeing a new ACTION bus without a gas pod! I also love how above the window line they've written ACTION and MAN in their respective fonts.

Bus 400

I spotted 390 heading south when I was heading north on Athllon Drive, from a distance it looked just like an Irisbus (nom pod). But I soon focused on the MAN front & knew what it was.

Now the rumour is that ACTION want to put a woman bus driver in the MAN for the ACT Government acting like they are the best for thinking of the environment & purchasing the first Euro V MAN Bus in the world media event. But this source isn't sure when the media thing is on.
I hope 391 has "SECOND ACTION MAN......."

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Snorzac

smitho

Capacity limit on 390 is 45 seated plus 22 standing as I recall, compared with 45 seated and 15 standing in the gas MANs.

Busnerd

You spotted the MAN front? As I recall they are CC EvoII CB60's...an MAN front is a completely different thing and not found in Australia!

Bus 400

The front was the similar to the front 374 to 389 have. Which are MAN buses

Sir Pompously

Yes, which is an EvoII Front made by Custom Coaches. MAN would have a manufacturer of fronts in Europe which would be a standard 'MAN' front. Much like Renault did, and now Irisbus do (They have a stock standard front and rear) and it is the choice of the manufacturer to include it in the body that they make. A standard MAN front would be similar to the green bus found in the following brochure, a body manufacturer design MAN front would be like the BT Volgren MAN Bus Chassis Brochure

smitho

I haven't spotted any major design external differences between 390 and the gas MANs other than the gas pod; interiors and driver's cabin look very similar or identical too.

The low pod and the decals going on about Euro 5 are really the only thing the general punter would notice as being different with 390. I don't recall seeing the roof decals (see TP's photo) when 390 first arrived in Canberra, only the stuff on the sides and rear, but may be they were there all the time and I didn't notice them. The format of the roof decals reminded me of the style used on ACTION's 'Bee Line" standard bus when I observed 390 this am.....

390 was on the old fuel line @ Belco Depot this am with 318 in desto...it had just come out of the bus wash.

Irisbus Rider

A photo of the actual MAN front is seen in this photo below;
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MAN_bus_bensheim_100_1933.jpg
IIRC, a New Zealand body builder is using this front, other than that, we have not seen this front in Australia yet.

Love that body.

Barry Drive

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 11, 2009, 08:11:25 AM
You spotted the MAN front? As I recall they are CC EvoII CB60's...an MAN front is a completely different thing and not found in Australia!
Don't forget he also thinks that MAN makes the driver's seat.

Quote from: smitho on September 11, 2009, 11:34:28 AM
I haven't spotted any major design external differences between 390 and the gas MANs other than the gas pod; interiors and driver's cabin look very similar or identical too.

The low pod and the decals going on about Euro 5 are really the only thing the general punter would notice as being different with 390. I don't recall seeing the roof decals (see TP's photo) when 390 first arrived in Canberra, only the stuff on the sides and rear, but may be they were there all the time and I didn't notice them. The format of the roof decals reminded me of the style used on ACTION's 'Bee Line" standard bus when I observed 390 this am.....

390 was on the old fuel line @ Belco Depot this am with 318 in desto...it had just come out of the bus wash.
The only difference other than the lack of gas pod is that 390 has a DL2 bike rack rather than a VeloPorter 2.

When I saw 390 last night it had no ticket machine, but maybe it was fitted this morning if it was out on the road.

Busnerd

There should be no differences to the outside, other than the fact this has no gas pod and the A/C pod has moved to the front. Another possible difference is (now im not sure) is that the gas ones had Alcoa rims, whereas it doesn't look like this one does, either that or their dirty.

Inside, the dash would be practically the same, maybe a few different button locations and obviously the ZF gear buttons instead of the Voith ones.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 11, 2009, 02:57:40 PMInside, the dash would be practically the same, maybe a few different button locations and obviously the ZF gear buttons instead of the Voith ones.
That is, if they do in fact have a ZF in them. I have heard conflicting reports on whether it has a ZF or a Voith box in them. If anyone can confirm which type of box it has in it, please tell us!

Snorzac

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 11, 2009, 02:57:40 PM
Inside, the dash would be practically the same, maybe a few different button locations and obviously the ZF gear buttons instead of the Voith ones.
Mat, where are you getting this ZF idea from? It drove past me about 10mins ago and it sounded like it has a voith.

Busnerd

I was told ZF...it is not confirmed though.

Irisbus Rider

ZF would make sense, as BT purchased a large number of diesel 18.310s with ZFs, alternatively, our gas 18.310s have Voiths, so, it could go either way IMO.

Bus 400

390 has been allocated to a particular driver from Monday. I know who it is, but can't say. The big clue I'll give is "ACTION still don't trust northside bus drivers with their good new buses." Only drivers will get that clue.
Quote from: smitho on September 11, 2009, 11:34:28 AM

At about 13:00 I saw 390 come from the starters office around to the fuel parking area with 314 on the desto.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 11, 2009, 05:56:29 PM
ZF would make sense, as BT purchased a large number of diesel 18.310s with ZFs, alternatively, our gas 18.310s have Voiths, so, it could go either way IMO.
Yes, but BT also purchased a large number of Voith Diesel 18.310's.

And Mat, remember the MAN dash has a Dial instead of buttons. Whether or not ZF have the buttons I am unsure, however the standard MAN dial is in use so it won't be replacing voith buttons at all ;)

Busnerd

Sorry, I am from out of town remember, Im not a local anymore, what would i know :P

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Martin on September 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM
Don't forget he also thinks that MAN makes the driver's seat.

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 11, 2009, 08:11:25 AM

When he said 'the MAN front', I believe he is referring to the fact that the front of the MANs are distinctly different from the front of the Scania's and Irisbuses. He wasn't referring to the manufacturer who designed the front of the MAN buses.

Busnerd

So it is as we said in the beginning, it is an Evo II front not a MAN front, whereas the Scanias an irisbuses have Evo I front.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 11, 2009, 09:45:49 PMWhether or not ZF have the buttons I am unsure
ZF definately still have butons.

IIRC, the ZFs are better suited to the diesels, but don't quote me on that.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 12, 2009, 09:58:07 AM
So it is as we said in the beginning, it is an Evo II front not a MAN front, whereas the Scanias an irisbuses have Evo I front.

yes, but he was being general in that if you're looking up the street and see a bus with a pod coming, you could identify the bus by the 'Scania front' or the 'MAN Front'.

Busnerd

He's still wrong, we all know what he meant.

split

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 12, 2009, 02:21:21 PM
He's still wrong, we all know what he meant.

Maxi,

Um, no he is not wrong.  What he wrote was "But I soon focused on the MAN front & knew what it was"

At no point did he write that the front was built or designed by MAN.  As Buzz was trying to explain to you he was simply saying that the MAN buses currently used by ACTION are distinguishable by looking at the front.

You have incorrectly interpreted what was written and are therefore the one who is wrong!!!!!

Sir Pompously

Actually, no. The Front is the EvoII Front. That is what it is, it is not a MAN specific design and is therefore not a MAN front. It is a Custom Coaches design as apart of the CC EvoII body, and is in use on many other buses around Australia be them MAN, Volvo, Scania etc. The proper Nomenclature is EvoII when describing anything to do with the body, just like if I was talking about a MAN 18.310 Volgren CR228L body which has a CR228L front. The Scanias have a standard/original CB60 front, along with the Irisbuses (And thousands of other buses around Australia). Whether or not interpreted incorrectly, the front is not specifically for the MAN 18.310 and therefore should not be referred to as the "MAN Front". By using correct terminology it eliminates the need for confusion for those not exactly in tune, and is easily explainable to those with questions. We may know what he means, but not everyone does.

Trolleybusracer

Man Front? :P

You Mean one of these MAN's

Oh But Surely You cant Mean this? Its a CAT! I Know its 3 Letters but No

split

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 12, 2009, 07:14:55 PM
Actually, no. The Front is the EvoII Front. That is what it is, it is not a MAN specific design and is therefore not a MAN front. It is a Custom Coaches design as apart of the CC EvoII body, and is in use on many other buses around Australia be them MAN, Volvo, Scania etc. The proper Nomenclature is EvoII when describing anything to do with the body, just like if I was talking about a MAN 18.310 Volgren CR228L body which has a CR228L front. The Scanias have a standard/original CB60 front, along with the Irisbuses (And thousands of other buses around Australia). Whether or not interpreted incorrectly, the front is not specifically for the MAN 18.310 and therefore should not be referred to as the "MAN Front". By using correct terminology it eliminates the need for confusion for those not exactly in tune, and is easily explainable to those with questions. We may know what he means, but not everyone does.
:wall:

Busnerd

Quote from: split on September 12, 2009, 08:37:04 PM
:wall:

In case you have missed what we said ages up the page. WE UNDERSTAND WHAT HE MEANS, THAT HE SAW AN EVO II FRONTED BUS WITHOUT A GAS POD WHICH HE REFERRED TO AS THE MAN FRONT, WE KNOW WHAT HE MEANT, WE WERE JUST EXPLAINING THAT THE TERMINOLOGY MAN FRONT IS USED TO DESCRIBE AN ACTUAL MAN FRONT AS EXPLAINED IN TODDS POST.

That is all. No more discussion.

split

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 12, 2009, 08:55:11 PM
In case you have missed what we said ages up the page. WE UNDERSTAND WHAT HE MEANS, THAT HE SAW AN EVO II FRONTED BUS WITHOUT A GAS POD WHICH HE REFERRED TO AS THE MAN FRONT, WE KNOW WHAT HE MEANT, WE WERE JUST EXPLAINING THAT THE TERMINOLOGY MAN FRONT IS USED TO DESCRIBE AN ACTUAL MAN FRONT AS EXPLAINED IN TODDS POST.

That is all. No more discussion.

In case you missed what I said up the page, here goes:

I understand that he may not have used your "prefered" terminology but he was not wrong about anything as you stated in reply #30.  Again, he simply was not wrong!!!!!! His terminology may have not been what you like, but he was not wrong.

Buzz Killington

Thankyou, Split! Exactly right.

We should probably get back to the topic at hand now though. I'll delete any further posts made on MAN fronts.

Bus 400

Exactly this thread is about the lovely bus that MAN & Custom Coaches gave birth to & that has ACTION adopted & decided to call Bus 390.
I can't wait to get a photo of the bits of the bus I missed.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on September 11, 2009, 08:31:25 PM
390 has been allocated to a particular driver from Monday. I know who it is, but can't say. The big clue I'll give is "ACTION still don't trust northside bus drivers with their good new buses." Only drivers will get that clue.
As per usual, you are full of shit. In so many ways.

390 is being used for driver familiarisation all this week. This has nothing to do with 'trust' - it is standard practice whenever a new bus arrives at a depot.

A few more things: it does have steel rims, the gear selector is a dial and inside it has a monitor/TV screen mounted on the bulkhead. There is another difference - an additional switch in the driver's cabin - which I don't yet know what it does. Maybe it's a ejector switch to remove bogan scum and/or TP3000 from the bus.

Busnerd

LOL!

Do you think ACTION has decided to copy STA and display the camera cycle on the monitor? Or do you think they are copying deans and using it as a screen for advertising?

Only time will tell!

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on September 13, 2009, 09:34:43 AM
an additional switch in the driver's cabin - which I don't yet know what it does. Maybe it's a ejector switch to remove TP3000 from the bus.

That is exactly what it is, it was a special request to have a bit more fun in the bus. When that switch is flicked, the ramp flips up chucking off whoever is on the ramp at the time. Try it during your familiarization time. I'll try & find you at Woden Interchange when certain Supervisors are on.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 13, 2009, 10:06:30 AM
LOL!

Do you think ACTION has decided to copy STA and display the camera cycle on the monitor? Or do you think they are copying deans and using it as a screen for advertising?

Only time will tell!

Or, just to keep speculation rolling, GPS Activated stop information.....

Snorzac

Quote from: Martin on September 13, 2009, 09:34:43 AM
A few more things: it does have steel rims, the gear selector is a dial and inside it has a monitor/TV screen mounted on the bulkhead.

I actually have a picture of a screen on that is on the bulkhead on an ACTION bus at CC Adelaide. I can tell you that this bus is not a MAN or a 14.5 and I will not make any further  comment on this as I don't have any other details. I will not mention this any further without confirmation on the specs of the bus. There are at least two of these buses.

I will comment on the screen however, it is supposed to be a GPS operated 'Next Stop' display giving you the location of the next major stop. 

Bus 400

Quote from: Lemon on September 13, 2009, 04:55:11 PM
I will comment on the screen however, it is supposed to be a GPS operated 'Next Stop' display giving you the location of the next major stop. 

So we are finally getting this technology. This sort of thing was talked about a few years back.

Busnerd

I would assume it is the same style of next stop displays that the Parramatta Loop uses on conjunction with voice announcements.

The screen would be on a standard length Scania Zac. Not sure if it is a K230, K270 or K280

Sir Pompously

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 13, 2009, 09:51:05 PM
I would assume it is the same style of next stop displays that the Parramatta Loop uses on conjunction with voice announcements.

The screen would be on a standard length Scania Zac. Not sure if it is a K230, K270 or K280
STA and Parramatta Loop both have Thoreb systems, yes? http://www.thoreb.com.au/Traveller%20Real-Time%20Info.html