General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

You learn something new everyday  :popping: :popping: :popping:

Buzz Killington

Quote from: 743 on December 17, 2015, 07:33:57 AM
While it may seem illogical, it's somewhat of a common practice - for instance, in hotels.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lovett Tower in Woden has all the mechanical plant equipment on the 13th floor. If you look at the building, you'll see it about halfway up.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 12, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
Prepare yourselves. Details of the 2016 bus fares will soon be released.
Soon-ish. New fares now on ACTION website.

Cash fares will be $4.70 / $9.00 Adult & $2.30 / $4.50 concession

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 16, 2015, 08:40:49 PM
Hmm, that's very interesting, and very clever I might add, too bad they had their problems. What's strange though, is the current ones also have that issue where pressing them doesn't always work, doesn't happen too often thankfully, but there have been times where I've tried pressing and nearly missed my stop because of it :-\. The others sounded like they were air-pressured, where the ones now go 'click'.

And yes, I did mean 157 sorry.

That reminds me - what happened to the advertising screens which used to be fitted to all the diesel MAN's up to around 440 in the place of where the NXTBUS screen currently lies. When NXTBUS was introduced, the screens were removed but I never found out anything after that about them.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 18, 2015, 01:25:34 PM
That reminds me - what happened to the advertising screens which used to be fitted to all the diesel MAN's up to around 440 in the place of where the NXTBUS screen currently lies. When NXTBUS was introduced, the screens were removed but I never found out anything after that about them.
They were rendered surplus to requirements.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh, that reminds me, the memory is slipping away, but on Saturday last week on my way to RATEC, I saw the bus that was changing to the 910, before he put it up, the screen said "revised" and a date (something like that). Is that supposed to happen? Cause I know that the screens will say the L-plate indicators, and lots of other things, but that was something I hadn't seen before. (It was a E6 btw).

King of Buses

Probably just restarted the system and it displayed the version date etc.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on December 19, 2015, 04:36:04 PM
Probably just restarted the system and it displayed the version date etc.

Weird.

Also, I was thinking of asking this in the E6 deliveries topic, but it may lead toan off-topic discussion, so here is better. How are you guys noticing all these new E6's arrive? Because, I use to see them each week at the Woden Depot, but not anymore since the start of the year. Do you just see them sitting in the depots or something? Also, is Woden still ging to be used for the E6 deliveries, or just for storage, and (this may sound odd) when are the buses delivered? cause I've always wanted to see one. Is it at night or something, or are they teleported to just appear out of nowhere like a Tardis?

Buzz Killington

New deliveries are now driven directly to Belconnen or Tuggeranong Depot.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 19, 2015, 07:24:41 PM
Weird.
Not really. The date is in there so that when the desto files need updating, whoever is doing it can easily see which version of the desto file is loaded onto a bus.

Sylvan Loves Buses

ok, but why would it appear on the outside of the bus and not just on the screen on the control panel?

Bus 503

Weird.

Also, I was thinking of asking this in the E6 deliveries topic, but it may lead toan off-topic discussion, so here is better. How are you guys noticing all these new E6's arrive? Because, I use to see them each week at the Woden Depot, but not anymore since the start of the year. Do you just see them sitting in the depots or something? Also, is Woden still ging to be used for the E6 deliveries, or just for storage, and (this may sound odd) when are the buses delivered? cause I've always wanted to see one. Is it at night or something, or are they teleported to just appear out of nowhere like a Tardis?

Yeah, SCANIA Global teleport newly made buses from the moon. :)

I also have a question: (Whenever Sylvan posts it seems to remind me of a question which hasn't been answered yet.)

Why has the position of fleet numbers changed on the outside of the driver's cabin?
They used to be next to the camera, but changed to under the camera and I found that a bit strange.

Before (on Bus 573, 572, 571 and anything from 569 down.)

First on Bus 570, and then from all the other new buses delivered from 574.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 19, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
Whenever Sylvan posts it seems to remind me of a question which hasn't been answered yet.

Well, I've been wanting to learn as much as I can, it's hard to be the great buses expert (which is my email >:D) when I'm not really compared to all the other bus enthusiasts here, due to the fact that I've been loving, collecting, and studying buses (mainly ACTION) for the past 17 years, but had only my brain, my eyes, other drivers as my resources. You could say that I'm the "offline" buses expert ;D , which is why I'm trying to get "online" to learn and improve from what I've lost out on.

Yeah, SCANIA Global teleport newly made buses from the moon. :)

Good to know ::) , I'll consider upgrading my bus binoculars to a bus telescope ;).

Bus 400

.....when are the buses delivered? cause I've always wanted to see one. Is it at night or something, or are they teleported to just appear out of nowhere like a Tardis?

They have been during the daytime, usually around lunchtime/afternoon, but there is no guarantee of time. I'd suggest waiting out on a safe location along the Federal Highway north of Majura Parkway/Horse Park Drive (as no one can be sure which road they access Belconnen /Tuggeranong from). I'd say at tbe truck rest stop at the northern end of Lake George where the lovely copper hides & always pulls everyone except me up, but the delivery date also can't be guranteed.

I've only been lucky to see one bus being delivered (1 cent fare discount on a certain bus service if you can guess which one). But that was purely coincidental & didn't carry a camera back then.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 19, 2015, 08:33:33 PM
ok, but why would it appear on the outside of the bus and not just on the screen on the control panel?
Because bus destinations are best displayed on the outside of the bus.

You can't have a destination message which appears only on the control panel, because that's not what the system is designed to do. Also, the Version Date doubles as a "test message". No point in having a test message that doesn't actually test the external display.

Also, is Woden still going to be used for the E6 deliveries, or just for storage, and ... when are the buses delivered? cause I've always wanted to see one. Is it at night or something, or are they teleported to just appear out of nowhere like a Tardis?
Unlikely that Woden depot will be used for new bus deliveries unless they start getting large numbers in a short time frame. The four recently delivered should be in service before the next one arrives.

They are not delivered at night. My understanding (although this may be wrong, and someone please correct me if it is) - new buses are driven to Canberra from Scania in Sydney (Prestons) using a logistics contractor. The delivery driver then makes his way back to Sydney - and it is easier to get a flight back to Sydney during the daytime.

Why has the position of fleet numbers changed on the outside of the driver's cabin?
They used to be next to the camera, but changed to under the camera and I found that a bit strange.
I was waiting for someone to notice that. You may have answered your own question - maybe the fleet numbers were interfering with the quality of the video recording so were moved.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Something else odd about the new E6s that I've just recently noticed. I think it's just for the 580's onwards, but what are those 3 strange looking greyish/black boxes on the roof of the new E6s? (if you don't know what I'm asking, by request, I can draw a picture of what I mean).

Buzz Killington

Wifi?

Barry Drive

They're trial Kangaroo repellent devices.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 23, 2015, 10:48:59 PM
Something else odd about the new E6s that I've just recently noticed. I think it's just for the 580's onwards, but what are those 3 strange looking greyish/black boxes on the roof of the new E6s? (if you don't know what I'm asking, by request, I can draw a picture of what I mean).

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 24, 2015, 03:10:55 PM
They're trial Kangaroo repellent devices.

Sorry but I couldn't help myself. :P