General Fleet Discussion

Started by Barry Drive, February 18, 2015, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

New topic - for miscellaneous fleet discussion, sightings that don't belong in other topics.

To start things off: there might be a new Dart arrival at Woden Depot this week. Possibly 140, but can't rule out a Tuggeranong unit being sent to storage.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 18, 2015, 06:20:27 PM
...but can't rule out a Tuggeranong unit being sent to storage.

If so, it isn't 148 or 151. Both were in service this morning.

Busfanatic101

151 has been having multiple issues over the last few weeks, was playing up last wednesday and it cancelled its run today... I wouldn't be surprised if this got sent to storage soon. shame though as it's a pet bus of one of the drivers

Barry Drive

Yes, 140 has been sent to Woden

King of Buses

When I went past Woden depot yesterday, I didn't see 986...is it just hiding amongst the darts, Mk1s and PR3s? Or is it elsewhere?

And do the buses that are recently withdrawn (provided they originally did) still have bike racks (995, 991, 992...they did last time I checked but...I couldn't tell from Athllon Dr)? If so, why?

King of Buses

554 has lost its Nigel Stokes decals. Back to one, 560.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on March 25, 2015, 09:44:49 AM
When I went past Woden depot yesterday, I didn't see 986...is it just hiding amongst the darts, Mk1s and PR3s (sic)?

Yes - it is hiding. But only in the sense that you can't spot it from Athllon.

Rest assured, it is still there.

King of Buses

Praise the Lord...
Those Darts are a bit annoying in terms of placement...

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on April 13, 2015, 07:32:33 PM
One of the Belco field vans too has a new livery covering windows too this time. Like 539s livery just without the euro 6 stuff...and on a Toyota hiace. ..
(A) There is only one "Belco field van".

(B) It's a new Hiace with a new livery.

(C) Don't know whether it's a paint job or vinyl wrap (or combination).

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 13, 2015, 08:18:53 PM
(A) There is only one "Belco field van".

I thought Belco had a hiace and that other unique one (I can't remember the make...)

Barry Drive

Based on ACT RTA records, there are two more new Hiaces. One of these will probably be allocated to City.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 17, 2015, 11:29:29 AM
Based on ACT RTA records, there are two more new Hiaces. One of these will probably be allocated to City.

Both have been at Belconnen Depot the past few days. The Woden one appears to have been replaced by the old Belco one too. The iMax was still in the City this evening.

986 was at Belconnen Depot today undergoing an inspection and some maintenance.

Both 852 and 853 have been out today too. And 565 has entered service...

Tuggeranong Depot has had some movements as well. The PR3s are now against the screen and 3 out of 5 darts are in the shed (the other two on the bricks). A MKI PR2 (without window ads) was in the sheds today too.

Barry Drive

Without more information, the Tuggeranong moves suggests they are trying to increase their capacity.

Quote from: King of Buses on April 17, 2015, 06:22:40 PM
A MKI PR2 (without window ads) was in the sheds today too.
If you mean a PR100.2, there's not many to choose from: 865 is the only one that fits that description. A sighting in service would help.

This also raises the possibility that 856 & 126 are also in regular service, rather than being full time trainers.

King of Buses

The PR3 move at tuggers could also be the death row...

And not sure what MK1 it was (but yes, PR100.2) but all I could see was MK1 livery without window ads on at least the near side. Will look out for it

I've noticed over the past couple of months that the white strips either side of the front windscreen on a number of the Scania artics have been removed. 520 is one that comes to mind.

King of Buses

Quote from: 743 on April 17, 2015, 09:51:34 PM
I've noticed over the past couple of months that the white strips either side of the front windscreen on a number of the Scania artics have been removed. 520 is one that comes to mind.

They've been gone for quite a while. It's 511, 515, 520, 527 and 528 which are like this.
538 other than being named recently appears to have lost its front Scania badge and has an ACTION logo centered on the front above the number plate...seeing as we are on the artic topic...

Barry Drive

No sign of changes at Woden Depot. 864 & 865 still in retirement, so that Mk1 bus sighted at Tuggeranong would have to be 856.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 27, 2015, 11:48:17 AM
No sign of changes at Woden Depot. 864 & 865 still in retirement, so that Mk1 bus sighted at Tuggeranong would have to be 856.

856 wasn't at Tuggers this morning. I'm not sure where 855 has disappeared to, I haven't seen it in quite a while at T. I doubt these MKIs are serving and service purpose given there was several buses in the sheds still and some PR3s (including 126) at the time. 866 has a nice slope to it as well...

About 3 or 4 Rosa's were going into the T workshops this morning too. Two didn't have ACTION or flexible bus service logos  ???

King of Buses

856 back next to 126.

948 and 887 (If I can read stuff from 483) are against the screen too. Haven't seen MK2 buses parked there for ages...

EDIT: Not 948. But whichever buses they are they haven't moved all day...

Barry Drive

The second Hiace has been seen in service at City Bus Station.

Barry Drive

With 569 & 570 entering service this week, the number of Scanias in the fleet has reached 145.

Unless there have been further withdrawals, the number of active Renaults (PR100.2 & PR100.3) is  ... 145.

Shortly, Renault's status as dominant bus will end.

King of Buses

485 has now got the program 570 used to on its desto (the large print as such)...

Tuggers now seems to have its new Hiace van too.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on July 21, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
485 has now got the program 570 used to on its desto (the large print as such)...

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Could ACTION be planning on eventually converting all of them to that or is this some sort of trial?

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 21, 2015, 04:40:19 PM
Could ACTION be planning on eventually converting all of them to that or is this some sort of trial?

If they do, thats not a good idea...sure, it is easier to read, but when it spends about 3 seconds on 'Blue Rapid' when behind another bus (obscuring your view) and you want a particular Blue Rapid service (and have to flag it down while at a normal stop) but can't see the number, it is just like the static Renault destos...you can't easily tell...

The Love Guru

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on July 21, 2015, 05:07:25 PM
That's why it has a number!

But when in a platoon of buses you can't always see it!

I'm confused, KOB - you're saying in the platoon, you can see "Blue Rapid", but not the route number? Isn't the route number still on the nearside, which would put it closer to you than the text? I haven't seen this 'new' desto yet, but I can't imagine it's on the offside.

Bus 400

Quote from: 743 on July 21, 2015, 09:56:15 PM
I'm confused, KOB - you're saying in the platoon, you can see "Blue Rapid", but not the route number? Isn't the route number still on the nearside, which would put it closer to you than the text? I haven't seen this 'new' desto yet, but I can't imagine it's on the offside.

This is what 570 looks like.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 22, 2015, 09:24:53 AM
This is what 570 looks like.

*Looked.

Quote from: 743 on July 21, 2015, 09:56:15 PM

Even still, it can be hard to see the numbers around other buses, peoples heads, street infrastructure, trees, etc.

But how can you see "Blue Rapid" and not the number? That is your issue above, right?

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on July 22, 2015, 09:56:16 AM
*Looked.

What? 570 has lost its "Renault Styled Desto?"

I can't understand why any of the destos on the Pr2 and 3s and green buses can't just display the actual place they are servicing on one line instead of: WODEN, on an orange bus and: WODEN, via, blah street, BlaH crescent, Blach, circuit, then finally, DUFFY. IF DUFFY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE DESTO, WHY CAN'T IT BE DISPLAYED ON THE FRONT WITH JUST ONE LINE AND NOTHING ELSE?

King of Buses

You can't always read the desto around obstructions and other buses in front of it!!! Not all bus stops have the right angle to see them!!!

And yes. 570 has lost that program. 485 has now got it. That was all I was reporting originally!

Barry Drive

But what if you AREN'T travelling to Duffy. Or Fraser. Or whatever.

Then showing a single location is not useful.

(Does this bus go to Civic?)

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 22, 2015, 06:03:04 PM
Then showing a single location is not useful.

And showing a route name is even worse...

The normal Hanover destos are fine. As in, Static top line final destination (Fraser West) and scrolling bottom line (Via Woden, City, Belconnen, Kippax, Macgregor).

Barry Drive

I've also mentioned this on twitter:

ACTION have responded to the predictable "my bus isn't air conditioned" whingers by stating there will be 30 new buses in service this year.

Which confirms the Scania delivery schedule has been brought forward by six months.

But based on 587 being the last in service, there are 28 Scanias to come in the current contract, plus 490 - that makes only 29.

Busfanatic101

Is it likely that they will keep the current livery for future deliveries of will they eventually get all the new buses in TC livery?

Buzz Killington

If there is a TC livery, it wouldn't look anything like the one on the Darts - the preference will be for a livery that only requires one paint colour per panel where possible. The different colours and gradient effect on the wraps would be too painful to replicate in a paint job.

Barry Drive

I was going to say the same. Also, I don't imagine they'd change anything during the current contract.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 05, 2016, 11:32:45 AM
Is it likely that they will keep the current livery for future deliveries or will they eventually get all the new buses in TC livery?

Certainly no change yet (up to 609).

The Love Guru

Hmmmmm, recall stating the end of the ACTION name was on its way!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Another new livery? geez, would've thought they'd get rid of all the 90's buses first or waited another 20 years before doing that.

Busfanatic101

I personally like the current livery. Who here would actually be keen to see a new livery- especially one in the sort of colours they are using for everything Transport Canberra at the moment?

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 22, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
I personally like the current livery. Who here would actually be keen to see a new livery- especially one in the sort of colours they are using for everything Transport Canberra at the moment?

I'd like a new livery although with the same colours as now (green, orange and white). The Transport Canberra livery looks nice on the darts but I wonder what it would look like on the full size buses.

Quote from: The Love Guru on July 20, 2016, 02:06:37 PM
Hmmmmm, recall stating the end of the ACTION name was on its way!

I note that the ACTION (logo) icon doesn't appear to be in use anymore on Transport Canberra publications or on the City Loop livery.

On the topic of the City Loop, 151 was laying over at the discussed University Avenue stop today so I guess it's now being used.

Snorzac

That is where they park the spare bus/driver transport bus for the City Loop as it has on road driver changeovers, the same two buses operate the shuttles all day from start to finish and the drivers use a spare bus to get into the city

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on July 22, 2016, 06:49:59 PM
I'd like a new livery although with the same colours as now (green, orange and white). The Transport Canberra livery looks nice on the darts but I wonder what it would look like on the full size buses.

I note that the ACTION (logo) icon doesn't appear to be in use anymore on Transport Canberra publications or on the City Loop livery.
ACTION logo is on the near side just in front of the fleet number on the loop livery.
As for the livery, it was mentioned elsewhere that it will no be anything like what is on the darts as it would be virtually unpaintable

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 22, 2016, 08:09:51 PM
ACTION logo is on the near side just in front of the fleet number on the loop livery.

No. The word "ACTION" in the 2008 ACTION font is there, but the circular 6 segment logo is not.

Busnerd

Personally I'm expecting them to go with a cost cutting livery. Such as perhaps a nice brightly painted front and the rest of the bus in white with TC logo's on it, with plenty of room for advertising (for revenue purposes)

If you look at Airlines in the last few years who have changed their liveries, a lot have gone with a plainer more livery to save money (and presumably weight) whereas most bus companies prefer a single colour all over as it is easier to carry out repairs.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on July 22, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
The word "ACTION" in the 2008 ACTION font is there, but the circular 6 segment logo is not.
Good pick-up. You may notice that the, um, wheel logo has been removed from the Twitter and Facebook accounts as well - but not from newly delivered buses.

Busfanatic101

But they have brought back the old nxtbus ad recently that had been taken off with the arrival of TC on the on-board screens with the ACTION circular wheel logo.
Maybe they just couldn't be bothered making a new one or updating it

Busfanatic101

975s engine sounds to be in a terrible state.
570 doing workshop road tests this afternoon