Renault artic withdrawals

Started by smitho, July 06, 2012, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Love Guru

Quote from: King of Buses on January 04, 2015, 10:03:41 PM
Annoyed is a bit of an understatement. .well, for me it would be anyway...thought it'd be exactly the same as when 986 and 716 were the only ones left...I'd be on a scartic and one of them would surely pass by...with nour chance for me to transfer :'(
Really?
They were shit heaps by the time they were withdrawn. Well past their prime with terrible slack in the drivetrain, bodies that were falling apart and generally in a state of disrepair.

If you had had the chance to ride them from brand new you'd understand where I'm coming from.
I recall riding several of the mk2s on their first day in service including 983.
The mk2s were really no better or worse than the mk1s at that stage.
They were a massive performance improvement over the Merc 0305Gs, though they lacked the charm and character of the Mercs.

King of Buses

They were still better than these scartics. ...and I hope you didn't mean all ththe mk1s. .if 725 was included...that's not a good idea...cause 725 was and is awesome! I know at least one person who'd agree with me  ;)

Bus 400

Young lad, it's a pity you were never able to enjoy the O305G's. While I can't remember if I caught a Canberra one as a baby/toddler. As an adult, I've enjoyed the ones in Perth & they were a hell of a lot better than their old Renault or new Volvo artics.

King of Buses

I've been on a few O305Gs that ran for STA in the past few years Through the HCVA and SBM. I found them pretty good. Though I think I only went on 2556, 2552 and 257(1?). Though I could never really compare them to the PR180.2s cause i was mostly riding K360UAs here after i went on those...cause the PR180.2s would drive past me in a scartic and I could catch up to em. The fact that ive grown up with PR180.2s is also a reason why my allegiences are more with them. ..even after those O305Gs,  I still though think 725 (and some other Renault artics were better. ..shame I never got the ACTION mercs though yeah...or not even enough time to compare the sydney ones with our renaults...

smitho

In their last few years of regular running, nearly all of the Tuggy Renault Mark 1 artics were really performing very well, perhaps with the exception of No 700 and one or two other low numbered ones.

716 was certainly a stand-out performer.

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on January 19, 2015, 01:26:03 PM
Saw a Mark 1 Renault artic heading slowly east along Hindmarsh Drive at around 1130 this am...couldn't spot its number.
A quick look at Woden Depot suggests both remaining Mk1 artics (711 & 713) are no longer there.

So quite possible they were both headed to Access Recycling. If so, then that's all* the Renault artics gone.

* 986 retained for Heritage / charter work.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 19, 2015, 08:57:34 PM
A quick look at Woden Depot suggests both remaining Mk1 artics (711 & 713) are no longer there.

So quite possible they were both headed to Access Recycling. If so, then that's all* the Renault artics gone.

* 986 retained for Heritage / charter work.

WHAT!!!!
Where did 712 go and when???

And does anyone know when 986 may be out again?

Still can't find anymore on 725 either...does anyone know anything about her? Cause I never managed to get the details of the owner from when it was for sale but presumably not sold...

Buzz Killington

If anyone does have a chance to check out Access for a couple of artics, that'd be great.

Bus 400

It was mentioned on ATDB about 2 artics heading east bound on the M7 in Sydney. Or something along those lines.

King of Buses

Why is 986 at B depot? Is there any major events coming up necessitating an extra arctic? Other than my school run which almost had to leave people behind (more than 110 people were on 518 this arvo...Im certain!). And it was a spare driver who was shocked by the flood of people coming into the bus! So she changed it to single leaf operation while people were coming in...

Bus 400

There is a tweet my one of my followers about an orange bendy on a photo shoot.

Barry Drive

A follow-up tweet reported the photo shoot was near Old Parliament House. So possibly Enlighten related.

Barry Drive

Or maybe the photo shoot was for this:

(Refer to ACT Bus or ACTION on Facebook)

King of Buses

Apparently the original photo was taken on Commonwealth Ave at the Northbound Albert Hall stop.

King of Buses

This was 986 yesterday at Belconnen depot. It spent some time undergoing an inspection at the fuel bay and then was parked down near the drivers car park for the rest of the day. It should still be at Belco for at least this week anyway. It also shows one of the new vans in the background too.

Buzz Killington

ACTION tweeted today that 986 'will be back on the road this weekend to assist with...ANZAC Day charter services'

Bus 503

Quote from: Buzz Killington on April 22, 2015, 09:19:51 PM
ACTION tweeted today that 986 'will be back on the road this weekend to assist with...ANZAC Day charter services'

According to some members, 986 was out today completing the charter services . Just wondering, which depot did it operated from?

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 25, 2015, 12:21:43 PM
According to some members, 986 was out today completing the charter services . Just wondering, which depot did it operated from?

Belconnen Depot. Did runs to/from EPIC, Gungahlin and Belconnen I believe (I did the Gunners one)

This is it on Limestone Ave after the Dawn Service.

Barry Drive

This wasn't a big enough clue:?

Quote from: King of Buses
This was 986 yesterday at Belconnen depot.

Bus 503

While searching google images today, I found this picture of an ex action Renault:

This lead me on to click the link of the photo which lead me on to this website:

http://severalsuburbs.com/2014/07/07/episode-9-paddock-bus/

From what I understand, a man purchased an mk1 artic and brought it to a paddock which is 45 mins out of canberra to do runs around his area. This show (the link)  then came and asked him about the bus and learnt stuff about it. A 32 minute audio video tells you a little about the bus and the fact it is/was stuck in the mud'. The bus is ex 717. I haven't viewed the whole clip but am sure to do it soon!

King of Buses

According to the Bus Australia Fleet Lists, the artics sold to Wisby (D.D. & B.A.) - Margate (701, 702, 710, 984, 987) are all still in service there except 702 which is being stripped for parts...which to me is silly cause 702 was far better than 701 and all the other ones they have...except maybe 984 or 987...they weren't bad.

R.I.P. 702...

And yes, I am searching through the Bus Australia Fleet lists looking for all the ones that survive...and 725!!!  ;D

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on August 11, 2015, 05:58:07 PM

R.I.P. 702....

photos upload
That might explain the pic above at Wisbys Hobart that I found on ATDB

Ex 722 is up for sale.

King of Buses

:popping:  :o  :-[  :'(  :'(  :'( :-\

That is more distressing than seeing 990 in a scrapyard...

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on August 11, 2015, 05:58:07 PM

And yes, I am searching through the Bus Australia Fleet lists looking for all the ones that survive...and 725!!!  ;D

Someone called "Brock Ginman" enquired into finding 725, and while surfing the net today, this came up:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81061

Snorzac

Yeah, I don't think you realise who that is.....

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on August 23, 2015, 04:50:47 PM
Someone called "Brock Ginman" enquired into finding 725, and while surfing the net today, this came up:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81061

Hehe...

Quote from: #Domelight Drew on August 23, 2015, 05:07:36 PM
Yeah, I don't think you realise who that is.....

I wonder if he will work it out now... ::)

The Love Guru

'725 is superior to the other 180.2s'????? They were all mechanically identical, apart from 709.

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on August 23, 2015, 05:16:46 PM
Hehe...

I wonder if he will work it out now... ::)

Ahhhhhh, (would use Mr Barry drive's face palm pic in this circumstance...)

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 23, 2015, 07:59:56 PM
'725 is superior to the other 180.2s'????? They were all mechanically identical, apart from 709.

What was different about 709?

King of Buses

725 ran better than most of the Renault artics in my opinion and many others.

And mechanically identical? No...they were all plagued with different problems and ran slightly differently...let's not bring 724 into this.

709 had a ZF transmission unlike the rest which had a Voith gearbox. 

Plus I had to fancy it up do they actually did anything over on ATDB.

Snorzac

709 had a ZF gearbox, all other had Voith.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

King of Buses

725 is alive and well still in ACTION Livery, with ACTION desto rolls, and even the Tuggeranong Depot 'S' on the windscreen.  ;D

Buzz Killington

Bus 503

And meanwhile, a few weeks ago Bus 503 went full internet stalking bus surfing mode and found out that Ex712 is still in Canberra according to Shannon's insurance.