Renaults in service - includes Training Buses

Started by Snorzac, May 22, 2011, 11:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

As a matter of interest, did the entire Renault fleet operate with the former pre-Wayfarer fare system, or was it just some of the older (Mark 1) fleet members??

Barry Drive

Snorzac

Pretty sure some of the early .3s did as well. 990 has a few holes in the drivers cab door from where the box used to be.

Bus 400

It wasn't the end for Bus 808 though as I saw it in the City Bus Station, with what looked like a trainer & trainee on revenue runs.

I suppose it doesn't matter if a trainee hits objects in a re-commissioned bus that has its days numbered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merv319

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 20, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
It wasn't the end for Bus 808 though as I saw it in the City Bus Station, with what looked like a trainer & trainee on revenue runs.

Is that today? I've seen it on today's last southbound 705 today.

Bus 400

It was around 16:30 this afternoon.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 20, 2012, 06:08:42 PM

I suppose it doesn't matter if a trainee hits objects in a re-commissioned bus that has its days numbered.

Probably a driver's  'return to service' assessment run rather than a trainee driver. Latest driver trainee intake only started their training towards the end of last week so they wouldn't be up to revenue runs at this stage.

Merv319

Hopefully not related to withdrawal thing, anyway Bus 893 was on road for driver training (with the yellow plate on dashboard) at noon yesterday, Gungahlin Market Place.

KimB10M

Quote from: smitho on February 25, 2012, 09:26:35 PM
Used bother 804 and 843 during the past several days and noted 843 was in its usual spot on the bricks (facing south) yestrerday am...

So maybe my video recording of #843 in service the 23th of February could have been it's final run?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFK9t-5oBU&context=C30b31ddADOEgsToPDskIdf5_2xQJ2qUyDkOQY6R3K

Watch out for driver Smitho and the end of the clip.  :D

smitho

Great photography, thanks Kim.

I haven't seen 843 on the road again since the time you were with me last Thursday - couldn't see it around Tuggy Depot this am.

Buzz Killington

810 still in service this arvo.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 28, 2012, 05:02:35 PM
810 still in service this arvo.
Yes, I noticed it @ Tugg Interchange this arvo. It must be the grand-daddy of them all now, assuming 808 has gone back 'on the shelf'.

smitho

I had 810 today .... unlike 808, it has a new two way kit, but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

From memory, it is on the hit list to go up for sale this financial year. It goes pretty well, good am/fm radio although driver's air con unit could work better.

This afternoon, I not only had to contend with being dripped on by the a/c unit, and condensation on the windows, but also white misty vapours forming in the cock-pit. Curious!

smitho

862 should be made an early candidate for Mr Sims (Metals)...no wonder Belco Depot handed it back to Tuggy Depot so soon after its transfer to Belco in 2009. This bus has had a hard life.

Bus 400

Well at around 06:30 yesterday morning, Bus 862 was beaten up the hill on the Tuggeranong Parkway by a CNG Scania. This Scania ended up way ahead of Bus 862. Also when I overtook Bus 862 she sounded like she was struggling.

I saw Bus 812 around the same time on Thursday & this old girl wasn't struggling as much.

smitho

Yes, 862 struggles! Even makes 925 look respectable.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on March 10, 2012, 12:17:28 AM
862 should be made an early candidate for Mr Sims (Metals)...no wonder Belco Depot handed it back to Tuggy Depot so soon after its transfer to Belco in 2009. This bus has had a hard life.

Indeed. Had a front end rebuild some years ago after an accident - http://ratec.actbus.net/Bus%20Depots%20&%20Workshops/album/slides/workshop%20bus%20862-02.html

smitho

Had 861 yesterday afternoon; very feeble on acceleration, but otherwise smooth running and well presented; had just been put through a thorough detailing makeover.

King of Buses

I had a ride upon 783 this morning due to the artic breaking down. It isn't the best MKI i've ever been on.

Bus 400

WIN News has just reported that the Renault's engines are getting a make over to add an extra 5 years of life.

The story also said the oldest one is 20 years old & has done over 1,000,000k's

Barry Drive

Since the new Network will require fewer buses, they will take about 20 Renaults offline at a time to be overhauled.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 11, 2012, 11:32:43 PM
Since the new Network will require fewer buses, they will take about 20 Renaults offline at a time to be overhauled.

Articles in today's Canberra Times (11 April) refer to the overhaul program.

Barry Drive

On the topic of Training Buses: last night 796 was parked at the back of Belconnen workshops, which is where withdrawn buses (and buses from T depot) are usually parked. Could this mean that 796's days as a training bus are over? Will they be choosing new trainers from the next buses being withdrawn? Or does it just need something fixed?

Barry Drive

Buzz Killington

I've seen 821 and 822 around today/yesterday

smitho

781 and 783 @ T Depot continue to see regular use as training buses, including for current basic training course.

smitho

959 at last off the bricks and back in service today.

Barry Drive

796 update: its days as a trainer do appear to be over.

CNG

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 11, 2012, 11:32:43 PM
Why does the network require fewer buses?

smitho

Re Tuggy training buses:-

781 hasn't been around Tuggy Depot for a few weeks now; either it has gone from the fleet or is at TISC.

783 was on the Tugg bricks today...

916 was used as an assessment bus yesterday (at Tugg Depot) as part of a driver recuit interviewing process.

818 was being used as a training bus @ T Depot today and was parked in the training bus bays this evening (where 781 & 783 have been parked until recently.

Buzz Killington

If 781 has been gone, what was parked next to 783 the last few weeks?

smitho

This week and last, 783 has been parked alone.

Buzz Killington

Fairly sure I spotted the Mk1 with the Masterton Homes ad last night (860?) in service. Couldn't be sure as it was dark and saw it side on quite quickly but appeared to have blue-over-orange livery.

Barry Drive

I also saw it last night and again tonight in the same place.

Bus 400

Bus 858 has returned to service after a weeks r&r at Woden Depot.

Bus 400

Buses 857,859 & 861 all spotted this morning dead running to Tuggeranong Depot. Bus 857 went straight to the bricks, I'm not sure if this is where it sits during the day or just needs fixing.

smitho

Did quick scan of Tugg shed this morning after the am peak; 861 and 862 were parked together and were the only Mark 1s readily visible.

smitho

818 parked in Tuggy Trainer Bus spot this week; no rack.

Bus 400

I don't if someone was having a joke or was confused. But on Thursday, Bus 818 was sitting on the bricks & Tuggeranong, while Bus 881 was sitting in the training bus spot. It did however still have all MyWay equipment attached.

smitho

818 was back in the training bus dock yesterday; I'd say 881 was deputising while 818 was not well.

There is a small class of 4 trainees going through at present.....in fact, they may have graduated yesterday.

smitho

Bus 123 occupying the Tuggy trainer bus position as of last week.

Bus 400

Bus 123 returned to Woden Depot this week. Bus 508 was sitting in the training spot yesterday (reportedly in prep for today's exercise), so no idea on its replacement.

Barry Drive

With 123's return to Woden, 861 is now parked in the designated Tuggy training parking bay.

Have not had any further sightings of 862 - not sure if it's still in service, but it hasn't been sent to the Attic*

* - "Dollhouse" reference

Buzz Killington

Looks like 861 may have been drafted into service on either Monday or Tuesday - had a school bus desto up on Tuesday arvo when I went past the depot.

Given that they have struggled to cover all services during the morning peak this week, I would be surprised if the training bus did get sent out on a school run.

Barry Drive

"School Bus" is commonly used as the desto for Training Buses. Does not mean it actually performed School Runs. I don't think it has a radio installed, so that would (or at least should) prevent it from doing any route work.

Buzz Killington

861 has been in the same spot for quite some time now. Can't recall what exactly was on the desto, but it was the same one for the whole time it's been parked there.

I only thought it likely went out one morning early in the week due to the apparent shortage (based on tweets from ACTION) - they obviously wouldn't send it out on regular revenue service but a school bus run this week seems plausible.

smitho

Tuggy trainer bus was apparently out in revenue service at the start of last week.

Buzz Killington

Just noticed I had referred to 818 above - meant to say 861. Have corrected the post.

Smitho - your post does seem to back my assumption. When I went past yesterday, the desto had been returned from school bus to 'blanked'

Barry Drive

And my comment about not having a radio referred to 818. 861 would still have a radio fitted, so what I said above does not apply to 861.