Canberra's History-Part 3 Old Bus Shelters (Forrest)

Started by Bus 400, July 05, 2009, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

N/A

Buzz Killington

Nice photos. Its great to see these still standing when I find myself in those inner suburbs.

Bus 400

These were along the old 83 Route & possibly only get used by School Services. But I didn't want to wait, in case the same fate happens as what happened to the Woden bound stop on National Circuit/Kings Avenue BARTON.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 05, 2009, 05:14:45 PM
These were along the old 83 Route & possibly only get used by School Services. But I didn't want to wait, in case the same fate happens as what happened to the Woden bound stop on National Circuit/Kings Avenue BARTON.
TP, although parts of Forrest lost their regular bus services with Network 08, including one of the oldest routes on the ACTION network, I'm pretty certain that all of these shelters are still on regular (non-school) public transport routes. That one at Arthur Circle/Tennyson Crescent FORREST is not an easy one to safely service.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on July 05, 2009, 08:34:48 PM
That one at Arthur Circle/Tennyson Crescent FORREST is not an easy one to safely service.

How so, Smitho?

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on July 05, 2009, 08:34:48 PM
TP, although parts of Forrest lost their regular bus services with Network 08, including one of the oldest routes on the ACTION network, I'm pretty certain that all of these shelters are still on regular (non-school) public transport routes. That one at Arthur Circle/Tennyson Crescent FORREST is not an easy one to safely service.

Only Arthur Circle/Monaro Crescent is still serviced by Route 6/935. The others have no regular bus service. I'm going by the Network Map

From my many rides on Route 83, I though that Arthur Circle/Moresby Street stop was a dangerous stop as there is a big gap between stops & it is on a hill & right on an intersection.

I am guessing that the way that Route 83 went was the oldest ACTION Route.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 05, 2009, 08:59:27 PM
I am guessing that the way that Route 83 went was the oldest ACTION Route.
Oh, how wrong you are. That 83 when axed was no more than 2 years old.

And how could the oldest route go to Woden. I think in the 1930s when the first route began operation, Woden was nothing more than a sheep paddock.

The oldest route (in near original form) is the northside portion of the 2.

Bus 400

Quote from: Lemonbus Rider on July 05, 2009, 10:54:59 PM
Oh, how wrong you are. That 83 when axed was no more than 2 years old.

Wrong again, the Forrest part of the 83 was in operation in 1982, it was known as Route 237 & terminated at The Causeway (http://actbus.net/History/network82.html). Route 83 was in service since at least 2001.

I also found that the Forrest part of the 83 was in service in 1979 as Route 320 (http://members.dodo.com.au/~martinlawrence/south1979.pdf)

Irisbus Rider

It would appear as though you are correct, the 1979 form of the route was near identical to the 83 when it was axed a few years ago.

Bus 400

The 320 (1979) was identical to Route 84 (except 84 terminated at Railway Station), which was scrapped in Network 2006. Route 83 (scrapped Network 2008) went through Manuka, Kingston, Railway Station, Fyshwick Loop & back the same way.

Those 2 routes meant alot to me over the years-I got chatty with my first bus driver who ran a 39 from Railway Station & I would always catch the 83/84 out there to meet up with her. But with shift changes I lost her & have never been able to find her ever again. It was 5 years ago & she was out of Belconnen Depot & had longish blonde hair (if that helps any drivers).

Bus 400

Every should be glad that the Arthur Circle/Monaro Crescent FORREST bus stop had a repaint today. So those burn marks have no gone. I would hope to think that my pictures brought this about. But it is good to see that ACTION are still looking after these bus stops as it will be a sad day when they are gone.

smitho

Buzz Killington

Yeah, i figured you probably were referring to the shelter that is very close to that intersection, but you had attributed the wrong caption, so wanted to double check in case..