Light Rail Stage 1 Construction

Started by triumph, November 14, 2017, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

I've checked this today. There is definitely a wire above the Nullarbor Av crossover track.

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

And still at Dickson, the Murdoch St crossing has now been closed with work on the U turn bay underway. No sign of new traffic light poles at this stage.

ajw373

I'll have to take a closer look next time I am going down Flemmington Road. Hard to have a good gander when driving.

And think it is a bit optimistic for the overhead to be done this week. Next maybe. There is still a short section missing between Condamine Street and Barry Drive, maybe they will install the wire this weekend, and then it takes them a few days to fully fit it off. And also I've come to learn when Canberra Metro say finished they don't ever really mean finished. Mostly yes, but fully, no way.

Take for example testing to Dickson. That is still not even close. But getting there slowly.

And one thing that I find annoying, and I guess bus drivers would too is how the tram track works are all essentially done down Flemmington Road, especially north of Sandford street but the road is still a works zone. It looks like all they need to do is lay down a top layer of asphalt, but nothing what so ever for many a month. I cannot think of any logical reason for it to not have been done by now. And I reckon the thing will open before the end of the year, maybe just maybe, but still plenty of work left to be done on Northborne Ave.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 09, 2018, 08:36:01 PM

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

The contact wire over the Dickson crossover was installed today. And they appear to have started putting up the gear they use to pull on new wire on the last section of track without wire. I would imagine they will pull that up this weekend as it goes over two intersections and fit it off next week. It's a reasonably short section too. There are 3 sections from the terminus to Condamine Street.

triumph

Had a look today from Rte 200 bus, just over 3 weeks since last summary. Not all that much to add now that visible major works are nearly complete.

There appears to have been no progress on paving etc at Gungahlin stop - that wheel barrow has not even been moved since last visit. There was action though at bus stop platform 3 - 5 recently placed large pavers were being jackhammered off. It is surprising so little effort has been made to complete this and tidy the site which is rather prominent to the public.

Overhead: The crossovers at Nullabor Ave and Dickson Interchange are wired.
Despite being in position now for some weeks, there is still work being done at various locations South of the Depot.
It appears operations are still basically in the section Nullabor Ave to Gungahlin. Earth safety connections (temporary conductor from overhead to rail) were in place further South.
The overhead wire is yet to be placed in the section from just North of Girrawheen Ave, South to vicinity of McKay St, but workers in elevating platforms were active, so this final piece cannot be far from placement.

Rails are now all placed and work to place landscaping soil South of Michell is in progress, including sections between the Dickson Interchange and the City. Never-the-less much detail work seems to be still necessary and Capital Metro mentions traffic light work pending.

As other posts have made clear, there is still a lot of obstructing materials, equipment, etc to clear to make way for vehicle testing between the Mitchell and the Dickson Interchange. But workers using blowers and brooms were tidying the track at some locations. A concerted effort in the coming week could still see testing get underway.

LR vehicles were observed as follows:-
Just South of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 007, 012 and on North bound track 002.
Just North of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 009 and an unidentified, un-numbered vehicle on Northbound track.
In Gungahlin Station on Northbound track was 004, another vehicle without its number in position.
Returning later, there was a vehicle on the Southbound track just North of the stop near Manning Clark (North).

At Manning Clark (South) station the level crossing departing South is posted for lightrail at 50kph and immediately after the crossing at 70. Will road traffic in Flemington Rd also be restricted to 50 passing the station? Other-wise it seems illogical and also detrimental to achieving the required transit time.

All stations now have roofs up. Stations Dickson Interchange to City are all of the two platform variety. 

Busnerd

Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on October 12, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on October 12, 2018, 10:28:29 AM
That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

The speed limit signs are an aid to the driver, hence why they are so close together in parts. Don't try and read too much into them or somehow try and correlate them to standard road rules. Two different things and for two different reasons.

And I have no doubt what so ever that the speeds vehicles will be travelling at along the whole route has been reflected in the total running time.

Busnerd

Think of it from a rail point of view, a lot of 'level crossings' or in this case, intersections with road traffic, generally have lower speeds, as these are areas more likely of having an accident with road traffic or pedestrians, no doubt the lower speed limits across intersections would be in place to allow the vehicles to stop faster, but like you've said, a lot of stops are right before or after intersections so they wouldn't be doing 50 there anyway.

triumph

As of lunchtime today the contact wire was deployed along the remaining section in Northbourne Ave. It is presently still in some of the pulley sheaves but work was being carried out on attaching it to the spreaders.

triumph

Canberra Metro, in an update, says the overhead was completed last weekend. Near enough, it appears complete, when viewed casually, but a close look revealed tags dangling down and main cables at a support pole do not seem to be connected yet.

Barry Drive

Also this week, it looks like the final segment of track was laid - just north of Ipima St.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on October 19, 2018, 09:08:42 PM
Canberra Metro, in an update, says the overhead was completed last weekend. Near enough, it appears complete, when viewed casually, but a close look revealed tags dangling down and main cables at a support pole do not seem to be connected yet.

Their idea of complete is a little bit on the liberal side. Complete, maybe looks complete, but as you mention still much to be done when you look closely.

They have 10 weeks until years end. I have a feeling their statement that the line will open in December 2018 will, like "complete" have a rather rubbery meaning. Maybe only open from Gungahlin to Mapleton Ave for example.

And they still do not appear to be even close to running tests south of the depot. North of the depot to Mapleton Ave it does look they they have finished, except for the stops, but I am yet to see any test running between the depot and Mapelton. Anyone know if they swap out the test trams under their own power now or still use the unimog?

And on the Federal highway going by what they have done this week it looks like they have some conduit problems. They have dug up one side of the freshly planted garden bed and are laying new power and data conduits and pits, and there was a special duct camera van on Northborne Ave. I'm betting some of the conduits have been damaged. Also interesting is along Flemmington Road, south of the depot and along the federal highway they have attached a conduit to the side of the slab and have run a optical fibre cable in it. Again wonder if some of the ducts in the slab have become damaged.

Barry Drive

Meant to post this earlier, but I forgot:

Although, I now have my doubts even about construction being complete by December.

Canberra Metro have now advised the Rudd / Bunda St permanent traffic arrangements will take effect from next week. I don't travel past there regularly, so I assume the intersection modifications and traffic lights are nearly completed.

The Swinden St intersection is nearing completion, although I haven't heard when it will be open for traffic. (Presumably, the U-turn bays on the Northbourne Ave service roads will be worked on once Swinden is open for through traffic.)

And finally, I've seen work get underway for the traffic lights at Morphett St and the extension of the pedestrian crossing lights from the Dickson Interchange stop.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on October 23, 2018, 08:24:52 PM
And they still do not appear to be even close to running tests south of the depot. North of the depot to Mapleton Ave it does look they they have finished, except for the stops, but I am yet to see any test running between the depot and Mapelton. Anyone know if they swap out the test trams under their own power now or still use the unimog?

I have seen trams running north from the Sandford St intersection. My understanding is that the depot is still unpowered (as of last week anyway), but the main track from outside the depot does have power. (If you travel along Flemington Road, you will see the "RED" status signs - this designates that the OHW is live.)

Bus 503

When will testing from the depot to Dickson start? I understood it would begin in mid October but it's past that now and there hasn't been any update from Canberra Metro for a while regarding this. Originally, I thought testing to Dickson would start in mid September but I guess I must have read it wrongly.

Also, now that all the tracks are in and the power poles and wire connected, is there really that much left to do? All I can think of is landscaping, finishing the shelters on Northbourne and adding tram lights to intersections (still not done on Girawheen).

Sylvan Loves Buses

There's the couple hundred hazardous trees they need to replace, different speed tests at all points of the track and probably the eventual press release.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 503 on October 27, 2018, 09:17:01 AM
When will testing from the depot to Dickson start? I understood it would begin in mid October but it's past that now and there hasn't been any update from Canberra Metro for a while regarding this. Originally, I thought testing to Dickson would start in mid September but I guess I must have read it wrongly.

Also, now that all the tracks are in and the power poles and wire connected, is there really that much left to do? All I can think of is landscaping, finishing the shelters on Northbourne and adding tram lights to intersections (still not done on Girawheen).

Overhead isn't connected in all places.

As for what else to do also a heap of Comms and monitoring, that's what's running down the fibre cable. And both is where there could be some issues as mentioned above they have been laying new conduits along the Federal Highway and there is a fibre cable in what in hope is a temporary cable running from the depot to as far Antil Street. The conduit is more or less on the surface next to the track along that section.

Then there is testing, testing and more testing.

Busnerd

For the few questions above, as per how it works in sydney, bus plans are in place for rail disruptions, in that event, sydney trains calls any and every bus company to cover, whatever buses get out there is what replaces the services, if it happens in peak then it's even more of a disaster. Sometimes bus companies will remove them off regular services - such as ones with a high frequency to provide the emergency rail buses, other than that, companies call drivers who are off or will cancel route services to try and get buses in, there is no 'dedicated fleet' to use in a service disruption, different story for planned trackwork though.

As for testing to Dickson, testing to Mitchell hasn't even started yet. There is no 'hazardous trees' that need removing, the main reasons for the delays appear to be those that ajw373 has mentioned being the main ones, besides those dramas, it is mainly smaller issues here and there, or things not being 100% or up to standard that they have to keep going back to make perfect before they will be used.

As for implementation dates, It was always my assumption it will run prior to the bus network coming in, so that people can use it and try it out before their buses are taken away, to have the buses start first would screw things up as you say, meaning they would have to run a temporary 200 from Gungahlin to the City, which given the renaults at fyshwick are still registered, they may be called on to re-enter service to boost the fleet size i order to do this, given that route is only around 30 mins from Gungahlin to the city inclusive of turnaround times and runs at a 15 min frequency, although 6 mins would be requried to match tram timetable, they still wouldn't need too many buses, maybe 10 buses could just make it work.

triumph

Comment I have heard is that Canberra Metro is still entertaining hopes of starting operations late January or early Feb. But they also said testing to Dickson to start early to middle of last month. A case of 'hope springs eternal'? Certainly they would be bleeding money paying construction crews, operational staff, etc for no income and thus they do have a very substantial incentive.

In regard to the missed availability payment(s), it is not clear if these are missed for good, or will be recovered by an adjustment to the contracted operation end date. Never-the-less there is still a significant financing cost in the late start to the payments.

Last night the rail grinding machine was hard at work in Northbourne Ave between the City and Dickson. Just why is this necessary? Is it general grinding or just dressing the welded joints (which is undersatndable)? When the rail was delivered the media reported that it had been specially formulated/treated to give a very long life. It is hard to see how general grinding of brand new rail would benefit life expectancy. It might also be expected that manufactured dimensional tolerance quality would be more than good enough to obviate the need for general grinding. Hopefully, it is just spot dressing.

Driving past Dickson today to the Barton Highway, there is still materials, etc obstructing the track so testing to Dickson still seems to be a few days away.

Likewise the elevating bucket used for catenary work is still on site. 

ajw373

They grind the rails to properly profile them. And not just at joints etc it is all along the line.

Busnerd

Which gives a smoother ride overall, they shouldn't need to be done too often, especially once the LRV's start running over them daily.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on November 04, 2018, 12:45:31 AM
They grind the rails to properly profile them. And not just at joints etc it is all along the line.

That is surprising considering modern quality control and that the rails are factory new. What sort of rail faults are you suggesting? Lack of smoothness and profile accuracy in manufacture, or slight misalignments (twists, etc) during installation?

I tend to associate grinding with correction of wear after a considerable period of use, but on reflection do seem to recall the Sydney Tram Museum many years ago lending their rail grinder for some work on a new line (Eastern Suburbs??).

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on November 04, 2018, 11:01:04 PM
That is surprising considering modern quality control and that the rails are factory new. What sort of rail faults are you suggesting? Lack of smoothness and profile accuracy in manufacture, or slight misalignments (twists, etc) during installation?

I tend to associate grinding with correction of wear after a considerable period of use, but on reflection do seem to recall the Sydney Tram Museum many years ago lending their rail grinder for some work on a new line (Eastern Suburbs??).

I don't believe the installation method gives a true enough finish hence the need for post installation gridding.

As for the eastern suburbs line yes the tramway museum scrubber was used. It was also used on the SLR when it first opened in the mid 90's. Whilst scrubbing has an element of grinding it is no where to the same extent as a grinder and for mostly different reasons.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, not every rail strip is identically perfectly shaped as the next, gotta smooth them out to be just right. ;)

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 05, 2018, 08:15:50 AM
Yeah, not every rail strip is identically perfectly shaped as the next, gotta smooth them out to be just right. ;)

Profiling is more than just smoothing the tracks out. One very important aspect is getting the correct camber especially on curves.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yes of course, especially the intersection of Flemington and Federal, must be quite the workout.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 05, 2018, 11:14:26 PM
Yes of course, especially the intersection of Flemington and Federal, must be quite the workout.

Are you suggesting that the curve is superelevated? Or that the wheel/rail interface requires a different cross-sectional profile on curves?

As traffic has to cross the Flemington Rd/Federal Highway curve, it is unlikely to be super-elevated. With regard to the profile on curves, AJW373 seems to be well informed and perhaps can clarify this some more.

The latest construction progress report for the tram project at Newcastle, NSW mentions rail grinding in all sectors. So local grinding is pretty well confirmed as current usual practice.   

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't know? Geez dude, I was only hypothesising. I don't know much about lightrail other than they're fun to ride...

I have few fond memories left of the old Sydney trams with Cadbury Chocolate AOAs from when I was young, don't ruin them for me :'(

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 07, 2018, 02:26:01 PM
I don't know? Geez dude, I was only hypothesising. I don't know much about lightrail other than they're fun to ride...

I have few fond memories left of the old Sydney trams with Cadbury Chocolate AOAs from when I was young, don't ruin them for me :'(

Sorry. You made a point of the curve at Flemington Rd/Federal Highway needing 'quite a workout'. So I wanted to know more. (We agree on Cadbury's - I have a memory of living for a period within sight of a Cadbury chocolate factory.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't go that way very often, but I do know that intersection is on a cambered corner, that's why I made that remark. I did go past when the works were putting the tracks in place and again some time after, so I just assumed additional work would be necessary due to the additional stress a cambered turn could/would cause for tram tracks.

Ooh, my 1000th post Yay! #noonecares #foreveralone

ajw373

The curve I was thinking of is where Flemington road does an almost 90' bend heading into the town centre. That is a high speed curve. The right camber there is very important to ensure the track doesn't suffer excessive wear and tear. The track bed design and rail construction and installation should have it covered but there will be slight variations that would need to be sorted otherwise the ride could be a bit rough with higher tracks wear.   

It is less important on slow speed curves like Flemington Rd and Federal Highway because the speed is low anyway and the curve is tight so there is going to be flange on rail contact anyway. 

Elsewhere the actual track surface needs to be angled slightly in, think about 10 degrees that's the rail profile. From the factory it will be that way anyway but slight variances, eg minor twisting that may not be visible to the eye during installation may throw that out of whack. So making sure that is true is important. We are talking mm's here.

And before some picks me up on it camber isn't actually the correct railway technology. Just cannot think of the proper term at the moment. But same thing as camber just different terminology.

triumph

Taken route 200 a while ago and again today to have a look.
Now that the track and overhead is done, there is not so much progress to watch.
More paving has been done at Gungahlin terminus and 2 groups were at work there today. Typical of the stage now reached in the project, there is much fiddly detail to be completed. One worker at Gungahlin today kneeling down was masking off various small paving joints and then inserting sealing filler compound into the gaps.

2 LRVs, one on each side, were in the compound between Manning Clarke Cr and Kate Crace St, with 2 more on the N bound track one each side of Nullabor Ave. Obviously not in use as there were workers on the track at both Nullabor Ave and Wells Station Dr and at the Gungahlin Terminus. Didn't notice visually much camber/cant/superelevation on the long curve in Flemington Rd but would need a better look and a spirit level to check properly.

From Sandford St to the South there were groups of workers all along but concentrated mainly at stops, intersections and pedestrian crossing locations. Again much of the work appeared to be detail and finishing but also some substantial looking drainage/pipe work. The obviously incomplete work is stop fitout/detailing/equipping.

Much landscaping has been done over the whole length right to the City with a bogie steer bogie drive heavy water cart patrolling to spray irrigate the new plantings.

There is still material and work in the Depot to Dickson section though it is now much tidier. The Northbourne Ave section Antill St - Barton Highway is to be closed this weekend so perhaps some intensive effort is planned.

As of 30th Oct the Depot overhead was still not energised. LRV013 was inspected by a technical group of visitors to the Depot that day, and today was at Nullabor Ave. Besides the Unimog there is a shunting tractor unit to move LRVs about within the Depot. The Depot maintenance building incorporates jacks to enable whole LRVs to be lifted with very modern and comprehensive maintenance/repair facilities. It appears overhead wiring terminates at bay entries. On the next floor are staff and amenity facilities and a control area looking out over the the general LRV operational area with fit out almost complete. Impressive looking. Turnouts, it was learnt, will be mainly driver controlled with ones not used regularly manually operated. The point being it is a light rail system, not a railway.

Bus 400

It looked like tracks were being relaid on Flemington Road outside Mitchell Tip yesterday, with the plastic sheet giveaway.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Busnerd

The Tram Pictogram sign went up at Manning Clark yesterday, it is integrated with the light pole on the 'ramp' section of the platform, and has two LED lights sticking out either side and a box on top with the sign on it, hoping it will be illuminated also!

Also all stops from Nullarbor to Gungahlin now have the PID screens installed on all platforms, Gungahlin had it's glass panels installed over the weekend, also noted some new speed signs on standard street sign sized poles now on the Nullarbor - Gungahlin section of track, of note, there was a sign near Wizard Street with 65 as the speed limit near the big curve which was 70 prior.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 11, 2018, 07:25:07 PM
It looked like tracks were being relaid on Flemington Road outside Mitchell Tip yesterday, with the plastic sheet giveaway.
Can't remember the exact location, but saw similar at a mid block crossing location somewhere between Macarthur and Murdoch on Friday.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't know if it will have caused any additional delay with the works, but some idiot crashed their car through the barrier at the City Station this afternoon causing much chaos at the intersection with peak and the buses crossing to and from the Interchange.

triumph

Have viewed the work several times from a route 200 bus since last post.

The work now seems to be proceeding at a glacial pace particularly at Gungahlin terminus. The work progress and effort is more perception than fact, though I feel that the tremendous effort evident before November has reverted back to a more normal effort.

Work is and has been concentrated at pedestrian crossovers, intersections and stations with apparently much, in aggregate, still to happen. I suspect that the consortium was perhaps a little caught out with the amount of, and time required to do, minor (in the whole scheme of things) finishing works such as pedestrian accesses, services details, pavement finalisations, etc., especially as some involve small successive concrete pours and associated curing periods. It is surprising though that so much traffic light work was needed so late in the project.

The LRV is now S of Macarthur Ave and the big question is when it wiil arrive at the City terminus??

ajw373

009 is now back at Dickson. Though unless I am mistaken it is now on a different track. Before I think it was on the Gungahlin bound track. Now it is on the city bound track.

Busnerd

The rubbish bins and seats were in at Nullarbor yesterday, also some road resurfacing has taken place recently at the Manning Clark Intersection, although lines are yet to be marked. Well Station intersection was also re-surfaced over the weekend and new line markings down.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on December 12, 2018, 08:27:28 AM
009 is now back at Dickson. Though unless I am mistaken it is now on a different track. Before I think it was on the Gungahlin bound track. Now it is on the city bound track.

9.15pm this evening an LRV was on the City Bound side at Dickson with the Unimog attached at the Northern end. 1/2hr later it and the Unimog were at the Barton Highway junction. Perhaps checking track etc details prior to next test phase of powering up.

ajw373

Speaking of powering up I drove past the section you are talking about (between flemmington rd and barton how) earlier in the week and they were installing quite a large power cable into the underground duct work. Hard to know even from the size of it is a DC cable or AC feeder cable for the sub stations.

Bit of a a surprise as would have thought that was done a long time also. Guess really shows how far behind they are on quite a number of things.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on December 12, 2018, 11:48:33 PM
9.15pm this evening an LRV was on the City Bound side at Dickson with the Unimog attached at the Northern end. 1/2hr later it and the Unimog were at the Barton Highway junction. Perhaps checking track etc details prior to next test phase of powering up.

Seeing as there were no LRV's on Northborne Ave or Federal Hwy today, I would suggest they were taking it back to the depot.

Only 3 LRV's out today, 2 near Gunaghlin town centre and one near the Franklin Woolies. Interestingly never taken much notice of the destitution signs but the two at Gungahlin were powered up but stopped in the area where they store them. One had the desto set to Gungahlin and the other Allinga Street, but both said (Excl EPIC). Which makes me wonder if there are no events on at EPIC if the LRV's will not stop there. Otherwise seems a strange sign to have programmed.

Northside

Quote from: ajw373 on December 13, 2018, 06:45:57 PM
One had the desto set to Gungahlin and the other Allinga Street, but both said (Excl EPIC). Which makes me wonder if there are no events on at EPIC if the LRV's will not stop there. Otherwise seems a strange sign to have programmed.

Early documentation had EPIC as a "special events only" stop, so yeas, it would seem that most services will not stop there. I assume that means the PnR will not be returning. There was a promise of a PnR on Well Station, so I wonder if/when that will occur.

ajw373

The lack of park and rides to me is the biggest failing in the light rail project.

I doubt that we will ever get to a stage where travel from the suburbs will ever be able to compete with cars except on cost, so to me the best thing to a)decrease car use and b)increase public transport use is more and better structured park and rides.

I've raised this on other forums and have been howled down, but from my exercisable in other car friendly locations, take the US and even regional UK and France having park and rides connect to the city centre with good quality public transport goes a very long way.

And I too am curious what has happened to the Well station Drive park and ride. The reason the stop is on the city side rather than the side where the houses are is to service the park and ride. But no mention has been made of it for an awful long time now. And EPIC of course would be another ideal place for one. Outside of maybe 4 major events a year during the week day it is one big empty space. The only thing that goes against it as a park and ride location is access to major roads.

Bus 400

A tender has gone out for a new set of bus stops on Well Station Dr just near Flemington Rd.

In the plans for the bus stops, it does show the Park & Ride area marked as "work by others".

The big concern probably is who would use the Park & Ride? With Well Station Drive providing access to a soon to be completed Horse Park Drive & even Gungahlin Drive doesn't back up like it use to. A little bit of money could be spent duplicating Well Station to provide for more people then the P&R could.

Busnerd

I would like to see Well Station duplicated, even if not between Horse Park and Flemington, but definitely between Flemington and Sandford Street, although I've never really seen it bank up, but it would work well once these new bus stops are added, presumably for new Network 19 routes to interchange with the Light Rail, I'm sure a Park N' Ride would be convenient in this location too for residents of outer suburbs such as Forde, Throsby etc. to sneak around the back and park and hop onto the LR into the city.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 14, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
The big concern probably is who would use the Park & Ride? With Well Station Drive providing access to a soon to be completed Horse Park Drive & even Gungahlin Drive doesn't back up like it use to. A little bit of money could be spent duplicating Well Station to provide for more people then the P&R could.

People like me who work in the city where parking is getting scarce and expensive.

The thing about Wells Station Drive is it is easily accessible from 3 of the 4 main roads out of Gungahlin and all of them are easily accessible to every suburb in Gungahlin. So to me perfect location. EPIC has more room but less direct access.

Busnerd

EPIC Would only be convenient for residents in Watson and Hackett, and even then it's a bit out of the way, would take them longer to get to work but would probably be cheaper once you include parking costs at $50 - $75 a week

Stan butler

Quote from: Busnerd on December 14, 2018, 10:50:39 PM
I would like to see Well Station duplicated, even if not between Horse Park and Flemington,

I would like to see the 2 roundabouts on well station drive fixed.  Coming from horse park drive, the rise and curvature on these roundabouts are a real hazard.  Really don't know how they meet safety standards.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 12, 2018, 12:12:30 PM
Urbos *100 (refers to 100% low floor).

For absolutely sure? No. But I'm fairly certain it's 2.65m. All the interior photos make it look like it's wider than a bus.

A senior manager of Metro Operations has now made it clear that Canberra has the widest width.