Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

IGA seems to be losing a lot of franchisees in the ACT of late.

Off the top of my head that's Forde, Florey, Watson, Richardson, Monash, Bonython, City West and Kaleen that have gone to either Spar or Supabarn.

Then there's a few others that have sold to the larger brands over the years - Wanniassa IGA to Supabarn, Charnwood IGA to Woolworths..

Barry Drive

Forde was a Welcome Mart. There's also a few Weston Creek ex-IGA s which are now SPAR (Waramanga & Rivett ?), but Holt has gone the other way: was a SPAR, now back as IGA.

Buzz Killington

Welcome Mart or Friendly Grocer? Either way, both are Metcash brands (IGA).

Barry Drive

Actually, think it was Friendly Grocer now that you mention it.

Bus 400

While I've seen talk here/talking with members about Owl Food Barns.
Apparently the shops on Manheim Street in Kambah was an Owl Food Barn. The only names I remember it by have been of the owners. It is now a Handimart, which looks to be a joint venture with 5Star & SPAR.
Attached is a caster packet that I still have at my place. I'm still eating this sugar as I type.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 17, 2013, 07:05:14 PM
While I've seen talk here/talking with members about Owl Food Barns.
Apparently the shops on Manheim Street in Kambah was an Owl Food Barn. The only names I remember it by have been of the owners. It is now a Handimart, which looks to be a joint venture with 5Star & SPAR.

What is now Woolworths at Kippax was originally an Owl, before becoming Supabarn and finally Woolworths.

As for Handimart, never heard of that, but 5 Star and Spar in Australia at least are actually the same company, with 5 star being a sub brand of Spar, so maybe Handimart is just another variant, rather than a joint venture.

Bus 400

Maybe, the Handimart sign in tge store shows both logos.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 17, 2013, 07:05:14 PM
Apparently the shops on Manheim Street in Kambah was an Owl Food Barn.
Can't be 100% certain, but I doubt that Mannheim St was ever an Owl (or even Lil' Owl). Owl was more the medium/large supermarket format - there was certainly an Owl at Southlands and quite possibly the Woolworths at Kambah Village started life as Owl. If I had to guess, Mannheim St was more likely to have been a Scoop Food Store.

Unfortunately, internet searches have failed to turn up much information about Canberra supermarket history. But this collection of ads from You Tube may interest some:

http://youtu.be/cEoUNL4fdhU

Buzz Killington

As far as defunct supermarket brands go, here's what I recall:

Cannons Food Barn - Kambah and Erindale. Woolies bought the chain in the mid 90s and the stores were rebranded and refurbed. There were other stores too - pretty sure there was one in Fyshwick that was converted to a Woolies.
Jewel Food Barn - Kaleen and Tuggeranong. Kaleen may have been purchased by Supabarn. Tuggeranong closed down and Franklins took over the space.
Franklins - Belconnen (taken over by Dan Murphys, now Harris Scarfe), Tuggeranong (divided up, Best & Less, a rug store and the supermarket in the carpark) and Woden (Hard to pinpoint but probably most of the area now taken by Rebel Sport and the shops heading towards the food court).

That's about all I can recall, aside from the Foodtown/Welcome Mart/Festival conversion to IGA. Supabarn were at Chisholm at one point too (now Coles)

ajw373

Mitchell was also a Cannons.

As for Franklins, technical speaking Belconnen wasn't taken over by Dan Murphy. The chain, except for a few select stores was taken over by Woolworths. Now whilst Dan Murphy is Woolworths own,ed think you will find that Belconnen was not part of the Franklins sale and Dan Murphy just took over the lease when Franklins vacated.

Also Festival didn't convert to IGA, when Fesitval first started it was called Festival IGA, there were other IGA brands too, all they did was drop the Festival bit. Too late now, but up until a few weeks ago some Fesitval IGA signage was exposed during the refurb works at Woolworths Charnwood. Which BTW is turning out to be a pretty allright sized supermarket. It scares me to think however that I can remember, what was then Shoprite before their first expansion in the mid 80's The expansion saw the storage area built on a mezanine above the shop, which if you go to the supermarket now is characterised by a lower ceiling in the centre part of the store, though not sure if they still use the space. They then extended the shopping floor into what was the old loading dock.

Snorzac

Haven't seen it mentioned but IGA Hawker closed last Sunday (10/11), it is re opening in the coming weeks as a woolworths.

Buzz Killington

I found myself at Hawker a month or two ago - that IGA is (was) a lot better than it was the last time I was there a few years ago. Guess they fixed it up to make it more attractive to one of the bigger players.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on November 18, 2013, 09:46:30 PM
Also Festival didn't convert to IGA, when Fesitval first started it was called Festival IGA, there were other IGA brands too, all they did was drop the Festival bit.
Not quite right. When the Shop-Rite split occurred, there were no IGA branded stores. Some of the larger Shop-Rites split off to join Festival (Deakin, Ainslie, Hackett, Hawker, Florey, Charnwood - possibly others). It wasn't until later that Festival became Festival IGA - but Florey remained just Festival (it would later become IGA Everyday).

ajw373

My recollection is Festival was only ever used (in Canberra at least ) with IGA on the end, hence Festival IGA. I seem to recall even Florey was a Festival IGA store too, before dropping the Festival bit, this is about when Charnwood was sold to Woolworths. Obviously Florey has changed name once more to Supa Barn.

Buzz Killington

I'm not certain, but I thought Festival, Foodtown, Welcome Mart etc was one of many brands under David's and Metcash. When the two merged, all the brands they operated (there was at least a dozen) were branded as IGA (large format, the Supa IGA name came later) or IGA Everyday (Medium and small stores)

In other news, Supabarn at Crace opened today, and Hawker Woolworths opens next Thursday.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 20, 2013, 09:35:57 PM
I'm not certain, but I thought Festival, Foodtown, Welcome Mart etc was one of many brands under David's and Metcash. When the two merged, all the brands they operated (there was at least a dozen) were branded as IGA (large format, the Supa IGA name came later) or IGA Everyday (Medium and small stores)

As mentioned when the IGA brand started to be used in Canberra at least it was used as a suffix, as in Festival IGA which can be seen in the add in the link below. The brand started to be used in Canberra after 1988, think circa 1989/1990 maybe a little later. The IGA suffix is what linked all the various brands together to David's

Secondly David Holdings and Metcash didn't merge, Metcash didn't have a presence (and hence no brands) in Australia and simply brought David Holdings out in 1998. The reason David's had so many brands was because they had been on a buying spree themselves between when they listed in the ASX in 1994, including buying shops like Jewel and some smaller distributors. It was probably this buying spree that weakened them and led to the take over by Metcash. Though correct when Metcash took over that is when the various brand were reduced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQCHG3iCzQ

Bus 400

On a side nite the old Davids imprint (of sorts) can be seen on the old IGA Fyshwick Distribution Centre.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ajw373 on November 20, 2013, 09:54:42 PM
David Holdings and Metcash didn't merge, Metcash didn't have a presence (and hence no brands) in Australia and simply brought David Holdings out in 1998.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 18, 2013, 11:09:20 AM
Can't be 100% certain, but I doubt that Mannheim St was ever an Owl.
There you go. It was an Owl Food Barn.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page13001830

(I was thinking of the 1970's era large Owl Discount Markets rather than the 1990's era local store / food barn format. Before that it had been a Hi-Lo Supermarket [1979], Top Value Supermarket [1981], but not a Scoop: Kambah Scoop was at Springbett St.)

Could find no references to the Kambah Village supermarket being anything else prior being a Shop-Rite.

Also found this page from June 1977 - a feature on the opening of Kippax Fair.

Both J B Youngs and Fosseys are listed as original tenants at Kippax, along with an Owl store (see pages 18, 19, 20). Which has me wondering where the Youngs store was, how big it was and what now occupies its location.

At that time, you can see that Owl also had stores at:

Deakin
Hughes (Li'l Owl)
Hackett (Li'l Owl)
Jamison (Li'l Owl)
Southlands
Woden Plaza
Queanbeyan
Kingston
Manuka

ajw373

Re Kippax, Owl was obviously where Woolworths is now. Fosseys was where St George and the post office are. My old girl seems to think Youngs may have been where Go Low (or what ever it is called now) is. It certainly closed before Grace Bros rebranded other Youngs stores though.

Barry Drive

OK. What I do know is that when Fosseys closed down it was located where The Reject Shop is now. So they either moved there when Youngs closed or else Youngs was on the other side.

Pity that Canberra Times feature didn't include a store map.

UPDATE: Young's was still at Kippax in 1981 (based on newspaper ads), but by Feb 1983, when it closed, the Owl store was referred to as a "food-only store". I'm starting to wonder whether Young's was located inside / next to the Owl Supermarket.

Bus 400

Word on the street is that Woolworths Kambah expansion has been boned. With Kambah to stay as a "convenience" store, instead of a full line supermarket.
Apparently Tuggeranong, Erindale & Calwell were the same & were only there because they had to, but may/may not of changed since then.

Buzz Killington

I searched on Trove for supermarkets and found the following items of interest:

Coles: Only four stores in 1992 (presumably Tuggeranong, Manuka, Belconnen and possibly Jamison?)
Cannons: Had a store at Mawson (even trialled 24hr trade for two months in 1991). Stores also at Kambah, Calwell and Fyshwick. Also had stores at Cooma, Wagga and Batemans Bay
Supabarn: had four independent stores - City, Erindale, Kippax and Chisholm.
Jewel: Kaleen and Kippax

Another brand was "Foodmaster" - they were at Macgregor, Rivett, Monash, O'Connor, Melba, Latham and Holder (and possibly elsewhere)

Barry Drive

Coles four stores in 1992 would be:
735 Curtin
748 Jamison
779 Belconnen
911 Tuggeranong (formerly Super K Mart)

there was also 820 Queanbeyan (Riverside Plaza), which replaced 740 on Crawford St.

(I worked at Coles 748 during 1986/87 - some Jamison staff transferred to Super K Mart when it opened. At that time Riverside Plaza may have also just opened and 705 Monaro Mall was still open.)

Fyshwick was the original Cannons. Hadn't realised/forgot that Shop-Rite Southlands turned into a Cannons before it closed. But did Calwell start out as a Cannons or was it Shop-Rite?

Jewel Kippax? (typo?) There was a Tuggeranong Hyperdome store for a while.

There was also either a Jewel or Franklins at Woden Plaza after Youngs (Grace Bros.) closed down and, of course, a Franklins at Westfield Belconnen.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 01, 2013, 01:50:12 PM
Jewel Kippax? (typo?) There was a Tuggeranong Hyperdome store for a while.

There was also either a Jewel or Franklins at Woden Plaza after Youngs closed down and, of course, a Franklins at Westfield Belconnen.

Sorry, yes. That was meant to be Tuggeranong and Kaleen. There was some Jewel branded trolley return signs in the carpark between the Supabarn Kaleen dock and the club a few years back too - not sure if they're still there.

Franklins was at Woden. Used to be just up from the old entrance to the Plaza that was on Shea Street, which used to run up from Bradley St along the side of the Plaza where Hoyts is now.

Bus 400

While searching on Trove over the weekend, I've found a few Shop N Save stores around Canberra including two in Kambah on Marconi Crescent (I assume they where at the stores near Taylor Primary School) & on Livingston Avenue. Kambah also had a Cost Less Supermarket & the Tuggeranong Shoprite (on top of the Kambah Village Shoprite).

Also I wondering wether the IGA & Supa IGA's may of come from wether the stores wether Supa Scoop or just Scoop stores.

Other old names I've found has been Top Value (Charnwood), Food-Master (Downer, Kingston, Monash, etc), Farmers Bros (Woden, Belconnen, etc), Eight Til Late (Braddon-presumably where the 5 Star is on Lowana St).

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 01, 2013, 11:58:53 AM
I searched on Trove for supermarkets and found the following items of interest:

Coles: Only four stores in 1992 (presumably Tuggeranong, Manuka, Belconnen and possibly Jamison?)
Cannons: Had a store at Mawson (even trialled 24hr trade for two months in 1991). Stores also at Kambah, Calwell and Fyshwick. Also had stores at Cooma, Wagga and Batemans Bay
Supabarn: had four independent stores - City, Erindale, Kippax and Chisholm.
Jewel: Kaleen and Kippax

Another brand was "Foodmaster" - they were at Macgregor, Rivett, Monash, O'Connor, Melba, Latham and Holder (and possibly elsewhere)

There was never a Jewel at Kippax, just Kaleen and the large wharehouse at QBN.

Cannons also had supermarket at Mitchell.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 01, 2013, 09:39:34 PM
Also I wondering wether the IGA & Supa IGA's may of come from wether the stores wether Supa Scoop or just Scoop stores.

Other old names I've found has been Top Value (Charnwood), Food-Master (Downer, Kingston, Monash, etc), Farmers Bros (Woden, Belconnen, etc), Eight Til Late (Braddon-presumably where the 5 Star is on Lowana St).

IGA and Supa IGA come WELL after Scoop and Supa Scoop stores. Ie they changed there names at least once in between. Though there may be some correlation in that Scoop were smaller and Supa Scoop bigger.

Just to clarify too Top Value at Charnwood was the name of the small shop on Tilyard Drive rather than the one at the main shopping centre. The main shop was only ever Shoprite, Festival IGA then Woolworths

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 18, 2013, 11:22:42 PM
Not quite right. When the Shop-Rite split occurred, there were no IGA branded stores. Some of the larger Shop-Rites split off to join Festival (Deakin, Ainslie, Hackett, Hawker, Florey, Charnwood - possibly others). It wasn't until later that Festival became Festival IGA - but Florey remained just Festival (it would later become IGA Everyday).

Used this Trove thing and found some articles pertinent to this conversation.

First one dated 30 Sep 1992 talking about several Shop-rite stores going over to Davids and the Festival brand, which it mentioned was launched in Victoria in June of the same year. It mentions that Charnwood had already jumped off the shop-rite ship.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/126945989?searchTerm=charnwood%20shop%20rite&searchLimits=

Next one dated 9 October 1992 talking about Davids Launching the Festival brand into Canberra on 26th October.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/126947792?searchTerm=davids%20holdings%20festival&searchLimits=

Next an add for Festival from 18 November 1992, some ~3 weeks later. Two things to note, the add clearly shows the branding as "Festival IGA", and secondly it shows Florey as being a Festival IGA store and Charnwood too for that matter. Not surprising really as Florey was (not sure if it still is) owned by Tony De Marco and Charnwood Dominic De Marco who I believe are brothers and ran their shops in parallel. The De Marco family still own the building at Charnwood housing the supermarket.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/126956293?searchTerm=charnwood%20iga&searchLimits=

Picture from 1993 showing Tony De Marco out the front of his Florey store, clearly branded as Festival IGA (along with Charnwood and Deakin also branded Festival IGA. Also note the add at the bottom is for specials at IGA stores, as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread when Davids launched Festival to Canberra they also brought other supermarket names and of course the IGA branding borrowed from the US too. Now some advertisements like this one showed 'specials' that were available at all IGA stores, regardless of main brand, others were just for say Festival IGA, etc.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/126983858?searchTerm=festival%20IGA%20florey&searchLimits=

and another from 1995 showing even more stores and still using Festival IGA branding.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/127528028?searchTerm=charnwood%20festival%20iga&searchLimits=

So I stand by my statement that Festival supermarkets, whilst sometimes called Festival Supermarkets have ALWYAS been KNOWN as "Festival IGA" in Canberra rather than just Festival. Think the articles and adds above kinda show this pretty well.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 01, 2013, 09:39:34 PM
While searching on Trove over the weekend, I've found a few Shop N Save stores around Canberra including two in Kambah on Marconi Crescent (I assume they where at the stores near Taylor Primary School) & on Livingston Avenue. Kambah also had a Cost Less Supermarket & the Tuggeranong Shoprite (on top of the Kambah Village Shoprite).

"Tuggeranong" Shop-Rite was at Castley Cct. Found an ad from 28 Mar 1990 which was when Kambah Village became a Cannons Food Barn. (Kambah was the second Cannons, after Fyshwick.)

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article120888487
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article120888621

I can still remember the Shop N Save jingle. "Shop N save, we're nice people, we'll do more for you, we want to help you - Shop and Save". In June 1977, their stores included: Campbell, Charnwood, Holt, Griffith, Pearce, Watson, Scullin, Macquarie, Narrabundah, Mawson (Ainsworth St?), Spence (Copland Dr), and three in Kambah: Castley, Marconi & Livingston.

By October same year, Charnwood and Castley had become Shop-Rites, Mawson was also gone and Fraser had been added.

An ad from 1979 loses Pearce and the Kambah stores but adds Aranda, Red Hill, Queanbeyan and Mawson.

And from 1980, the stores are Campbell, Fisher, Macquarie, Aranda, Red Hill, Pearce, Watson, Spence, Holt, Griffith, Narrabundah, Hackett, Queanbeyan and South Queanbeyan.

To trace the progression from Scoop to IGA may vary from store to store. Most Scoops were the small/convenience store size. As at July 1980 stores were: Melba, Evatt, Latham, Macgregor, Fraser, Cook, Kaleen (Ashburton?), Page, Scullin, Duffy, Torrens, Farrer, Chifley, Garran, Weetangera, Fisher, Rivett, Narrabundah, Downer, Yarralumla, Wanniassa (Sternberg), and Kambah: Marconi and Springbett. Not sure what went on - it may have been a franchise issue - but all Scoop stores renamed themselves as Supa Scoop in the early 80s.

This is an interesting ad from 1986 - there was a trial of discount coupons and all (most?) independent supermarkets took part. The ad lists just about every Shop-Rite, Supa Scoop, Foodmaster, Top Value and others, but not SupaBarn or Cannons. Interesting to see Shop-Rite included "Civic Canberra City" and Erindale. The Civic store was located at the Boulevard - I think it fronted onto Allara St - not sure what's there now. So was the Erindale supermarket progression Shop-Rite, Supabarn, Cannons, Woolworths?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article118272112

If you follow the Supa Scoop stores, some closed down for good (Torrens, Aranda, Page, Kaleen) others may have become Owl Food Barns, ACE stores, Welcomemarts, ShopRites, Foodlands, etc before finally becoming IGA, SPAR or 5 star handimarts.

Lastly, Farmer Bros was not a supermarket. They were liquor stores set up by David and Richard Farmer. I could be wrong, but one store operated from what is now First Choice Liquor on Melrose Drive (before that it was Brashs and even earlier than that it was Les Eaton Holden). Richard Farmer went on to set up a mail order wine business. Farmer Bros was later acquired by Liquorland (Coles).

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 02, 2013, 11:45:50 AM

By October same year, Charnwood and Castley had become Shop-Rites, Mawson was also gone and Fraser had been added.

Again with Charnwood you must be talking about the top shop on Tilyard drive. The supermarket in the main shopping centre was Shop-rite from the begining. Indeed here is an article that talks about problems with the roof frame whilst under construction refering to it as Shop-rite off Lhotsky Street. Again interesting to note that just a few weeks ago as the Woolworths was being refurbished these trusses were in plain view. They don't look all that substantial considering the size of the roof it is holding up. Guess you wouldn't see it these days.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110834296?searchTerm=shop-rite charnwood roof&searchLimits=

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 02, 2013, 11:45:50 AM
Lastly, Farmer Bros was not a supermarket. They were liquor stores set up by David and Richard Farmer. I could be wrong, but they may have operated from what is now First Choice Liquor on Melrose Drive (before that it was Brashs and even earlier than that it was Les Eaton Holden). Richard Farmer went on to set up a mail order wine business. Farmer Bros was later acquired by Liquorland (Coles).

Think your are right here.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on December 02, 2013, 12:01:43 PM
Again with Charnwood you must be talking about the top shop on Tilyard drive. The supermarket in the main shopping centre was Shop-rite from the begining.
I think I must. But if you look at the ad from June, it clearly says Charnwood Place, Charnwood. (Although the phone number is from the Mawson exchange - which is odd.)

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110853458

But an earlier ad says Tillyard Dr, with a different phone number.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110848281

Since there were ads for Shop-Rite Charnwood at the same time, the likely explanation is that they must have put the wrong address and phone number on their ads for a few weeks. Although Charnwood disappeared from their ads later that year when the Fraser supermarket was added.

ajw373

Yep something is not quite right, especially in that day and age you didn't have out of area phone numbers, as you pointed out the phone number is southside.

Found another interesting article that talks about a temporary shop off Tilyard Drive. Hard to know if it is talking about the top shop which clearly still exists, or if maybe before Charnwood shops as we know it were built there was a temporary supermarket in the area. Wouldn't surprise me actually if what is now the girls guide hall (or is it a scout hall?) was the site of this temporary supermarket. I have never really understood the little carpark and the orginal purpose of the hall.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110711799?searchTerm=charnwood shop&searchLimits=

It also seems as if other shops in the Charnwood shopping centre opened before Shop-rite, so maybe another possible location for a supermarket. This add from Sep 1976, the Shop-rite building was under construction in 1977.

[url="http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110823881?searchTerm="charnwood"]http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110823881?searchTerm="charnwood[/url] shops"&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc

smitho

Don't forget that there was quite a large Coles New World supermarket in the Monaro Mall (Civic), bordering Bunda Street (ground level).

ajw373

Access was from outside if I recall, rather than from inside the mall.

Barry Drive

It may have been large for its time (it was afterall Canberra's first New World), but not by today's standard. Not sure how it compared with its contemporaries: Woolies at Dickson, Manuka or Civic. Another subject for some delving into Trove.

And no, it didn't have a separate entrance - it was inside the Mall, next to the Bunda St entrance.

One unusual thing about this store: it sat above its loading dock, so it had a few stock elevators dotted around the place. (At least I think that's what they were - I've not seen them in any other supermarket.)

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 03, 2013, 11:01:12 PM
And no, it didn't have a separate entrance - it was inside the Mall, next to the Bunda St entrance.
Must admit when I used this supermarket it would have been circa 1988, which is when the Canberra Centre 'extension' was being built. The shop entrance was outside on Bunda Street, right where there is a set of stairs coming down from near the balcony outside. Once inside there was a ramp down to the shop. So maybe what I remember was as a result of the conversion of the mall to the Canberra Centre.

Now before someone does a Trove search and says the supermarket closed in 1983, I would like to point out there is an article that says it was planned to close in 'a few weeks', followed by one in December 1984 looking for an office manager for "Coles New World Monaro Mall". So clearly they extended their lease!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/131851055?searchTerm=coles%20civic%20closure&searchLimits=

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/122534729?searchTerm=coles%20civic%20closure&searchLimits=sortby=dateDesc

smitho

Quote from: ajw373 on December 03, 2013, 09:49:34 PM
Access was from outside if I recall, rather than from inside the mall.

My recollection was that the main entrance was from inside the Mall.

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on December 04, 2013, 02:12:43 PM
My recollection was that the main entrance was from inside the Mall.

I am not saying there wasn't an entrance inside the mall, simply that when I was using the supermarket which as I pointed out was 1987-88 which is when the Monaro Mall was being expanded into the Canberra Centre (and hence the entrances off Ainsle Ave and the internal part of the mall closed) that the entrance was off Bunda Street.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on December 04, 2013, 07:28:45 AM
The shop entrance was outside on Bunda Street, right where there is a set of stairs coming down from near the balcony outside.
Not that those stairs and balcony existed back then.

Have a look at this photo from 1963 to view the Bunda St entrance to Monaro Mall

ajw373

At no point did I say those stairs existed back then just pointing out where the entrance was using a current "landmark" Indeed those stairs did even exist after the late 80's expansion they came when the mall was extended over bunda street and Ainslie Ave between the city market and target were filled in.

As for the photo looks a lot like petrie Plaza looking towards Bunda Street rather than Bunda street. The reason I say that is I cannot see the loading dock which was (and still is) on the corner near Bunda street and Ainslie Ave.

Only way to definatly prove if what I am saying is right or wrong is to get a photo from around 88/89 when the Canberrs centre was being built. As mentioned not arguing there wasn't a mall entry just saying when I used to use it which is during the Canberrs centre development the entrance was off Bunda street.  I used to get the 333 from Belconnen walk to Coles to buy what I needed then got the bus from across the road from Coles to Dickson where I worked at the Esso servo.

Barry Drive

Never said you did say that: just mentioning it.

Take a look at the design above the entrance - that feature is still there on Bunda St, even though the actual entrance is no longer there.

ajw373

May well be just cannot see the loading dock. Maybe behind the light pole. If Bunda street then the enterance I am talking about was near the main enterance.

ajw373

Now I am home and looking at the picture on a PC and not an iPhone I agree it is Bunda street side.

Now something of interest, have a look at the main entrance to the shopping centre and to the left you can see a bike, then a man and women walking towards the camera and a lady standing next to the door. Now in between the lady walking towards the camera and the lady standing you can see the entrance that I was talking about quite clearly. Unlike all the other windows along there it has a bar 2/3rds of the way up from the ground and a divider down the middle from the bar to the ground. It looks suspiciously look a door to me (and the writing above the shop, although hard to make out appears to about the right size to say "Coles New World Supermarket" which is how it would have been presented before they started using the C logo, see picture in link below for similar signage), and it is in the same place that I remember the Coles entrance to be in the late 80's. Clearly this isn't the main mall entry which would have been in the alcove under the canopy.

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemLarge.aspx?itemID=340686

This is also a plan of the shopping centre, Coles occupied the space towards Bunda street with the loading dock behind it, which I reckon is behind the lamp post in the photo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AcUdTl7Aq-s/TCpNNocFSmI/AAAAAAAATiE/IIoeiZq_Ifo/s1600/04_Monaro+Mall+plan+1963.jpg

ajw373

I find it funny. Say somthing that people think is wrong and you get pounced on. Prove yourself right (as I have done on 3 seperate occasions in this thread) and not one oh, you are right.

At least when I am wrong (such as saying I didn't think the picture above was of Bunda Street) when proven such I am the first to admit I was wrong.

ajw373

Was at Woolworths Charnwood earlier and noticed they have some new trolleys that have a holder for a barcode scanner. I wonder if Woolworths is soon going to introduce scan as you go shopping? Used it a few times in Holland and it was pretty handy.

Speaking of Charnwood the expansion and refurbishment is really good, I now give Kippax a wide birth. Charnwood is big enough to have a good range without the hastle of being too big and busy. One odd thing though is from the main carpark, unless you look right up onto the back part of the roof their is no signage to say it is a Woolworths supermarket (though clearly obvious if you look in). Plenty of signs around the back and on both sides though. Would have thought they would have their name and logo in the window somewhere, maybe like some I've seen in Sydney with the Woolworths logo and the store name.

PS still no your right about Coles in Monaro Mall having it's own external entrance, though the picture and silence of those that said it didn't says it all really.

Barry Drive

Since you insist: no, you're not right - Coles New World at Monaro Mall didn't have a separate entrance (although it may have had a temporary one during the building works for the Canberra Centre).

What you may have thought was an entrance was actually a dry cleaners shop front. But since I'm not sure what its name was, I was not planning on responding. ("Gildon"?)

ajw373

Wow a dry cleaners with it's own set of double automatic doors located in the front corner of a Coles supermarket, conveniently located right in the place that I was saying was the entrance. Must admit even in this day don't know of too many dry cleaners with double automatic doors, so it must have been a pretty special dry cleaner to have them back in the 60's!

Barry Drive

I take it back. Looks like you were right. Have a look at this photo from NAA : http://photos.naa.gov.au/photo/Default.aspx?id=11661023

They do look suspiciously like doors at the back of the photo!

But I have no recollection of such doors existing when I was ever there. (Were they removed to make more space?)

Also, the dry cleaners shop I was referring to was immediately next to the Mall entry. You can see the space for it in the photo.

ajw373

PS you were right that the supermarket was slightly below street level (mentioned in post now changed/deleted), if you recall one of my first posts I said that was a slight ramp up from the store to the doors and the street.

Glad that is sorted. Will let the Festival IGA comments (where I was also proven right) slip, point made.