CBRfree Wi-Fi for ACTION buses

Started by Buzz Killington, July 29, 2012, 05:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Not exactly hot on the heels of the introduction of free wireless internet on all Deane's Transit Group buses in December last year, two ACT Political Parties have announced their intention to fund the technology on ACTION Buses and at associated infrastructure.

The ACT Greens were the first to make their announcement, promising to commit $100,000 for a one year trial which would see free wifi being provided on at least ten ACTION Buses and wireless hotspots at bus interchanges and various locations around Civic. You can read the Greens media release here.

A couple of days later, ACT Chief Minister Katy Gallagher told the ACT Labor Conference that a re-elected Labor Government would allocate $3m across four years to roll out free wireless internet in all town centres, bus interchanges and the entire ACTION Fleet.

At the time of writing the ACT Liberals have not commented on the proposals, however Shadow Transport Services Minister Alistair Coe commended Deane's for rolling out the technology from late last year.

Barry Drive

iinet (who run the CBR free Wifi in the City) have confirmed via twitter that the trial of free Wifi on 5 buses will commence in June or July.

Skitube

There are already wireless hotspots at some interchanges, called Telstra Free Wifi... CBR Free Wifi also comes to mind (which is also present at EPIC)
Wonder what the 5-10 buses would be, my guess would be Euro VI

Barry Drive

Quote from: Skitube on May 28, 2015, 09:51:16 PM
Wonder what the 5-10 buses would be, my guess would be Euro VI
It will be five buses only (as I already stated).

Since it will be a trial, they may be selecting one bus from each type: Scania L94, MAN/CB60 II, Scania K360UA, Scania K320UB/CB80, with the fifth being either Irisbus Agoraline or Scania K320 14.5m

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 29, 2015, 12:08:04 PM
It will be five buses only (as I already stated).

Since it will be a trial, they may be selecting one bus from each type: Scania L94, MAN/CB60 II, Scania K360UA, Scania K320UB/CB80, with the fifth being either Irisbus Agoraline or Scania K320 14.5m

PR2? If it is just the 'green' fleet though, a STAG would make more sense than an IRIS to be honest. Just cause of the usage of buses and that sort of thing. And cause the IRIS wouldn't be in service much...well, at least not a specific one, if they installed it in 5 of them then they might have one in service at a time.

Barry Drive

It will depend on whether they still intend to fit the entire fleet. Personally, I think they'd be better limiting it to the buses which do the most work.

But since the trial is only for 5 buses, they can't cover all the models - but maybe do a PR100.2, PR100.3, CB60/80, artic & 14.5m.

Barry Drive

Expect an announcement about this within the next week.

Snorzac

No announcement, however 579 has wifi installed and active.

Barry Drive

Referring to WiFi in 581 -
Quote from: Bus 503 on November 06, 2015, 08:49:04 PM
It didn't work this morning. Any ideas why?

I can make a guess: because it has been switched off.

But all 5 should be active later this month.

Barry Drive

Not 100% certain, but 579's Wifi may have also been switched off.

Perhaps they've been deactivated until the system is officially announced, whenever that may be.

Barry Drive

Stickers have started to appear inside and outside the Wifi buses.

Don't know if this means that the system is now active, as I've not been in a position to check.

Update: for those unaware, it's fitted on 579 - 583. And it is now active.

Announced on ACTION website.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

For those who haven't been keeping count of the days, the WiFi trial has now reached the 12 month mark.

No word on what (if anything) will happen next.

Also, updated URL:  https://www.transport.act.gov.au/getting-around/bus-services/passenger-info/wifi-on-buses

Busfanatic101

When I used 579s WiFi on Thursday I'm pretty sure its stickers were intact.

I was on 582 today, and while the WiFi is still there, the windscreen sticker (and the one beside the side desto assuming there was one in the first place) had been removed. None noticed on the inside either.

Would they remove the stickers if they were intending to roll out WiFi to the entire fleet? I don't know. It may be a subtle way of making the whole WiFi rollout thing disappear without many people noticing. Regardless, after an extended trial, something is happening.

Bus 400

I'm fairly certain that the wifi was just never turned off in the buses in the wifi trial. For the past few months I've been prompted to sign into the ACTION wifi when these buses have been nearby, but by the time I've been bothered to sign in the bus has gone.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

I was on 579 on Sat. While it is still adorned with WiFi stickers, the wifi would connect but wouldn't give you internet with a 404-error for the page where you have to accept the terms and conditions. I have connected to 579 before with no issues multiple times. Seems another indication that the trial is over

This post coming to you from Wi-Fi on BUS 582. Still active, although all the stickers seem to be gone.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Front exterior wifi sticker has now been removed from 579.

On Saturday it still had nearside sticker and ad, but didn't see the front on Sat, and didn't see the nearside today

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on June 19, 2017, 06:04:36 PM
Front exterior wifi sticker has now been removed from 579.

On Saturday it still had nearside sticker and ad, but didn't see the front on Sat, and didn't see the nearside today

The WiFi still works, mind you. Not that it made up for the fact that it was doing runs today normally run by a PR100.2...

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on June 19, 2017, 10:07:15 PM
The WiFi still works, mind you. Not that it made up for the fact that it was doing runs today normally run by a PR100.2...
Or so I'm told... Last 2 times I've tried I haven't been able to get to the page to accept the conditions to connect. I had another friend try on his phone and he couldn't connect either. I'd connected successfully prior to that a few times.

I've put in a screenshot of the error message.

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on June 19, 2017, 11:03:51 PM
Or so I'm told... Last 2 times I've tried I haven't been able to get to the page to accept the conditions to connect. I had another friend try on his phone and he couldn't connect either. I'd connected successfully prior to that a few times.

I've put in a screenshot of the error message.
Fairly sure it was 579 I connected to (because yes, it worked). Unless another one of the WiFi buses was hiding nearby.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on June 19, 2017, 10:07:15 PM
...for the fact that it was doing runs today normally run by a PR100.2

That's funny, cause I caught it today too, but I could've sworn that shift was suppose to have an artic on it - based on the number of times I've had to miss the 64 at 1:30pm when the artics didn't have racks, and the numerous times NXTBUS doesn't show the bike symbol. I've only ever seen that route on a P2 at most 3 times over the past network.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 20, 2017, 03:23:08 AM
That's funny, cause I caught it today too, but I could've sworn that shift was suppose to have an artic on it - based on the number of times I've had to miss the 64 at 1:30pm when the artics didn't have racks, and the numerous times NXTBUS doesn't show the bike symbol. I've only ever seen that route on a P2 at most 3 times over the past network.

Off topic now, but you can't have been looking at it often then. I have caught the 313 it does prior to that 64 on a number of occasions from Belconnen/UC (maybe once or twice a week for the past few months) and it has almost always been a PR100.2. It had an artic at least twice last week though.