General Discussion 2016

Started by Bus 503, January 08, 2016, 06:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

What the hell? what happens to my comments I made last night? wha? ???...

As for the thing on top of 946, Im not talking about the hatches, I'm talking about right at the very front, like at the very edge of it. I was sitting in one of the bus shelters at the time, so I couldn't get a good glimpse, but It looks about the same size as one of those car dashboard 'bobble-heads', but it wasn't moving, it was just sitting there, might have been glued on or something...

Busnerd

Sylvan Loves Buses

I know what the hatches look like, what I'm asking about is right here, right in front of the metal thing that also sits at the front, it was almost as if it was going to fall off, but it was stuck there

The Love Guru

T mechanics have a habit of sticking stuffed/plastic toys on the buses.

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on February 25, 2016, 07:50:23 PM
T mechanics have a habit of sticking stuffed/plastic toys on the buses.

And names...

Barry Drive

Even though they've been showing on NXTBUS since last year, two bus stops on Grampians St (Palmerston) will officially enter use from Monday.

Buzz Killington

Hospital Road in Garran reopens on Monday, so things will be back to normal there after almost a year of diverted routes.

Barry Drive

It will only be open in one direction - south to north. Southbound will remain closed until 30 June (or later).

AFAIK the bus diversions will continue.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hey, I saw red tape crossed over the Woden Interchange's office door today, what's going on? anyone know?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 01, 2016, 09:55:21 PM
Hey, I saw red tape crossed over the Woden Interchange's office door today, what's going on? anyone know?

Well, in case anyone doesn't know, I asked at the interchange just coming home just now. They're doing some repairs and removals/maintenance in the office for the next for days or week or something. Nothing (I think) to do with the asbestos removal this time, just some general maintenance. The Transport Officer I was talking to however told me that if they 'had' the money to do it now, now would've actually been the closure of the office for knocking it down :(.

So for anyone who needs help, they're gonna have a hard time, esp. the little old ladies I often see there who come to complain about things... - (including raging about their buses being 5 minutes late... oh wait, that's me ::))

King of Buses

Mackillop opening school mass is tomorrow morning. I expect it'll be mass artic charter as usual from Tuggeranong about 1100ish.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 10, 2016, 07:05:53 AM
Old artics?

Given ACTION only have one 'old artic' and it is still at Woden in a condition not exactly presentable for service, no. Just the usual Scania artics.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hi, just a few quick questions about the darts,

1. What is that thing on the roof at the rear end of the bus - in the same spot as the P2s exhaust pipe?

2. I've been told by one of the drives who's been driving for ACTION for many years, that the reason they haven't sold-off/scrapped/rid-of the darts yet, is because there's still $1.2 million worth of assets. Could someone give me a few examples (that they know of) of some of those 'assets'?

3. I still remember the time they had the ads on the side calling them 'Midi buses', which is what my mum and I still call them, but was there an actual reference for the word 'midi'?

4. I still find the concept of the different mks with the P2s confusion, but was there an actual reason for the different productions of the darts, why there's  differences between 132-142 and 143-156 (or whatever the grouping is)?

5. Where is Dennis Dart from, and did they make any other buses?

6. How much do you think ACTION would sell one without an engine so I could keep it as a statue in my garden?

That'll do for now, I'll ask some more later.

ajw373

Question 5, a simple google search will answer your question. But for the record Dennis is from the UK, now part of Alexander Dennis (the company that purchased Custom Coaches a few years back, before then putting them into administration) and they made lots of other buses and trucks over the years.

The body work is not by Dennis, it came from Wrightbus in Northern Ireland and is called the crusader.

Question 1, think you will find it is an air intake. Not sure if it is to bring air into the engine bay or if it feeds the engine directly.

Sylvan Loves Buses

ty, I'll have a look into that.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 22, 2016, 01:24:25 AM
Hi, just a few quick questions about the darts,

1. What is that thing on the roof at the rear end of the bus - in the same spot as the P2s exhaust pipe?

2. I've been told by one of the drives who's been driving for ACTION for many years, that the reason they haven't sold-off/scrapped/rid-of the darts yet, is because there's still $1.2 million worth of assets. Could someone give me a few examples (that they know of) of some of those 'assets'?

3. I still remember the time they had the ads on the side calling them 'Midi buses', which is what my mum and I still call them, but was there an actual reference for the word 'midi'?

4. I still find the concept of the different mks with the P2s confusion, but was there an actual reason for the different productions of the darts, why there's  differences between 132-142 and 143-156 (or whatever the grouping is)?

5. Where is Dennis Dart from, and did they make any other buses?

6. How much do you think ACTION would sell one without an engine so I could keep it as a statue in my garden?

That'll do for now, I'll ask some more later.

2. They're still serviceable? (well most of them) Either way, parting them all out gives a lot of money parts-wise. Will save them a lot if they utilitise them.

3. (Quoting a quote from another thread) "3/4 the bus, 3/4 the fuel, 3/4 the cost!"...as well as...
Quote from: Ed on July 19, 2011, 11:31:00 PM
3/4 the cost my arse!
They're a smaller bus, but not a 'mini' bus like a Coaster or a Rosa. Midi just fits in somehow...

4. Different internal layout in the PR100.2s  and livery (same as PR180.2s) is why there are the different 'marks'. They're much the same underneath though. As with the Darts, I don't know...

6. Ask ACTION...though it'd be nice to have a running dart still when they all disappear just for the fun of it  :P

Buzz Killington

There was one set of Darts that had a white interior and others that had dark grey. The seats at the front were reconfigured at some point too. From memory there used to be a backwards facing fold-down seat up front that was replaced with a permanent one. I used to get a Dart for my school bus each arvo way back in 1998 but haven't caught them much in recent years.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, they had the fold up seats for quite some time, I remember that, and I do know about the grey/white panelled buses, (which is what the question is referring to), as there's actually 2 ways to determine those particular buses - one is the panel above the driver, the other is the placement of the side desto. (drawing below) Recently I wouldn't know either, as most of them I've only seen in Woden Depot (including the one facing an odd direction at the entrance).

triumph

Re Reply 68. Rode Dart 148 Thurs 24th March 2016 on rte 3 leaving Belconnen just after 9am. It had a fold up backwards facing seat on LH side at luggage bin.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 22, 2016, 01:24:25 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1996-DENNIS-CRUSADER-28-SEAT-BUS-/291699044264?hash=item43ea9e2fa8%3Ag%3AHOgAAOSwmmxW6kC5

You could buy 132 for display in your garden...if you sell the garden!   ::)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Lol, it's availble on Ebay hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

(edit) holy damn, $19k :-\ that's more than a pre-owned artic :O

well, to be honest, I'd rather this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bus/252320732000?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3Dc1db711403fc4861b467b25746681d78%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D291699044264
and then paint it blue and orange xD instead of blue with a red stripe :P

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just remembered, I thought up a few questions/inquiries on the way home today. More like bus spec questions.

1. Does the PR in PR:100.2/3 and CB in the CB40/60 stand for anything, if so what?

2. What exactly does the 100 and 180 mean on the PR:100.2s and PR:100.3s? Is it what I always originally thought where it referred to the size of the bus, where 100 was a full size bus, and 180 was 1+80% of a full (that's the front carriage + the back with the concertinas), or is it something completely different?

3. with the .2 and .3 (PR:100s), dose that refer to it being the different 'version', 'generation', 'model', or??

4. Also, will the new 490.2 ever come to Tuggeranong, or is it just being trialled at Belconnen on what I think is a flow shift?

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 02, 2016, 08:42:00 PM

1. Does the PR in PR:100.2/3 and CB in the CB40/60 stand for anything, if so what?

I can't tell you what 'PR' stands for, although 'CB' means 'Custom Body' I think.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 02, 2016, 08:42:00 PM

4. Also, will the new 490.2 ever come to Tuggeranong, or is it just being trialled at Belconnen on what I think is a flow shift?

To be more specific, it would be '490.3' not '490.2'. To the question - I doubt it will go to Tuggeranong. Bus 490 is replacing Bus 300 (which was based at Belconnen Depot before its 'incident'.) To put it in simple terms, Bus 490 is replacing a bus which was formerly based at Belconnen Depot, so it wouldn't seem right to have it operating from Tuggeranong Depot.

Barry Drive

Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why are there 24 hours in a day?

I am reminded of Mr Garrison from South Park.

https://youtu.be/x-rGhMQn9Ls

Bus 400

Just like in their lifetime, the Irisbus could be swapped for the diesel Scania/MAN/Renault  (Tuggy bricks do have a storage space for 10 extra buses). So there would be nothing stopping 490 being swapped for another CB80 bodied Tuggy bus (just to keep the body numbers even as per an upcoming Transport Canberra rule).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 02, 2016, 09:13:43 PM
So there would be nothing stopping 490 being swapped for another CB80 bodied Tuggy bus (just to keep the body numbers even as per an upcoming Transport Canberra rule).

They apparently 'must' train drivers to drive 490. I doubt they'd move it to T if they continue to maintain the training rule for 490 - it'll be easier for them to just use the current B trained drivers with it and be done with it. This is also why 490 doesn't go out on weekends - drivers trained to drive it are either not working or are just allocated a standard EURO for consistency. Plus they probably don't want to damage the thing given they had trouble even putting stickers on it...

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 02, 2016, 08:59:26 PM'CB' means 'Custom Body' I think.

Oh yes, of course, thank you.

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 02, 2016, 08:59:26 PMTo be more specific, it would be '490.3' not '490.2'.

Well as I may have mentioned a few weeks ago, as I have only lived and seen 2 490s, I would be calling it 490.2 (it's just the way I do things, to make it simpler). Yeah, I know it's the 3rd (as I've seen on the wiki, and from Ed telling me), but it's how I will be doing it. (I've only told one other forum user this), just to lt you know though, I've only known about the identity numbers on the buses since about 2007, so even though I do know all the numbers, I will still have my own way of addressing them.
Also, I was a bit sceptical about the whole 490 thing when it was first introduced, I had at one point tried to completely ignore the whole situation, and try to think of a new number for it, but after reading other comments, and getting told by Ed about it, I decided to call it (just for my own use) 490.2, as that's what I have called it in my bus book.
Please, don't get hyped up about it though, it's just a bus number.

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 02, 2016, 08:59:26 PMBus 490 is replacing Bus 300 (which was based at Belconnen Depot before its 'incident'.) To put it in simple terms, Bus 490 is replacing a bus which was formerly based at Belconnen Depot, so it wouldn't seem right to have it operating from Tuggeranong Depot.

Hmm, that's very interesting to know, thank you again.

@Barry Drive - why do you and The Love Guru have to be such bullies? it's not very nice you know, and I did not join here to be disrespected in such a manner. I've tried to be as nice as possible, respect the forum rules to the best of my ability, learn from any mistakes I make from comments I have made on any posts, and try to enjoy being in the community with people who have the same hobby as mine. I had looked for a forum/social place like this with people I share the same hobby with for almost 17 years, and I have almost been here a year now, but I haven't felt very welcome... Please, can you stop having such a grudge against me, and stop mocking me, what have I ever done to you? - Just cause I have said things that you 100% disagree with, or something that is not right in your/everyone else's minds, it isn't right to act so disagreeably.

Barry Drive

It's called life, my friend. Get used to it.

If you can't handle being mocked you should really question what you are doing on the Internet in the first place.

You ask me to respect you and your strange ways, yet in return offer no respect to my ways.

As the T shirt says: "Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer".

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just looking at the other post about 490 reminded me of something.
What happens to the trial buses after ACTION has finished with them?

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 03, 2016, 03:17:43 AM
@Barry Drive - why do you and The Love Guru have to be such bullies? it's not very nice you know, and I did not join here to be disrespected in such a manner. I've tried to be as nice as possible, respect the forum rules to the best of my ability, learn from any mistakes I make from comments I have made on any posts, and try to enjoy being in the community with people who have the same hobby as mine. I had looked for a forum/social place like this with people I share the same hobby with for almost 17 years, and I have almost been here a year now, but I haven't felt very welcome... Please, can you stop having such a grudge against me, and stop mocking me, what have I ever done to you? - Just cause I have said things that you 100% disagree with, or something that is not right in your/everyone else's minds, it isn't right to act so disagreeably.

Unfortunately in life, not everyone is going to be your friend and when you put yourself out to the world with strange ideas and habits, well the world is going to tell you what it thinks of you.

As Barry says above, It's called life, my friend, perhaps you should get one.

215-209 on City - Majura Park shuttles today. According to Twitter, Route 910 is not accessing Majura Park due to heavy traffic associated with the Airport's open day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 03, 2016, 01:20:58 PM
Now that's a slightly more intelligent question. Only slightly.

When ACTION has finished with them,  they go elsewhere.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 03, 2016, 03:28:58 PM
When ACTION has finished with them,  they go elsewhere.

While that is indeed true, I'd suggest that you take a look at the wiki Sylvan. On the individual pages for trial buses, for example, Bus 490 (2), it generally mentions the 'next stop' for a certain bus (if known) just like with most other withdrawn vehicles. That *may* provide a better answer to your question by using examples such as that.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 03, 2016, 01:20:58 PM

The bus travels back to the manufactures office where it is examined and a decision is made regarding whether the trial was successful or not. It is then up to the manufacturer to make a decision regarding what happens to the bus.

In the case of 490 (2), it was scrapped for parts after being examined at the SCANIA head office in Victoria.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 03, 2016, 03:58:54 PM
The bus travels back to the manufactures office where it is examined and a decision is made regarding whether the trial was successful or not. It is then up to the manufacturer to make a decision regarding what happens to the bus.

Perhaps more so in recent years, but that hasn't always been the case. Often they'd go straight on to another operator.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Thank you Bus 503

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 03, 2016, 03:28:58 PMNow that's a slightly more intelligent question. Only slightly.

Shouldn't have to remind you...

Quote from: Sylvan Loves BusesWell, I've been wanting to learn as much as I can, it's hard to be the great buses expert (which is my email >:D) when I'm not really compared to all the other bus enthusiasts here, due to the fact that I've been loving, collecting, and studying buses (mainly ACTION) for the past 17 years, but had only my brain, my eyes, and other drivers as my resources. You could say that I'm the "offline" buses expert ;D , which is why I'm trying to get "online" to learn and improve from what I've lost out on.

What I said there was basically a brief description of how I've had to deal with things throughout my life. Sure, maybe my questions are not so intelligent, but it's not like I can just answer them myself. I have learning difficulties, I do not own a mobile device, I've only had access to the Internet from home for 18 months, I want to know the things I should've already known about for the past 17 years, but as I don't, I have to ask - I could just go back to what I was doing before I signed up at this forum, using my My Way connection to feed me info on pretty much the same sort of stuff I have been asking here, but I won't cause I would only get 1 or 2 or my 10-15 fortnightly questions answered, so I gave up on it. You guys are much more knowledgeable, so that's why I have been hanging around here, with the 'real ACTION bus experts'.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves BusesYou learn something new everyday  :popping: :popping: :popping:

And I still wish to. I even learned something new on Friday from this real great driver I've just met, it just slipped from the discussion, but it was something I had wondered about for 17+ years, and was answered for me, such a relief - I was going to ask it here, but I wasn't sure that I was going to get an answer, cause I spent 3 hours on the gallery looking for an appropriate picture to go along with it, but had no luck... Maybe I should do that instead, maybe I should use him as a recourse now so I don't have to get constantly, unnecessarily abused here when I want to know something...

Quote from: Barry DriveAnd I always call Hamburgers "steamed hams", but that doesn't make it the correct name.

Before you blocked that post I was gonna say one last thing to it. "cool, I have no issue with that, I have had a few friends in the past who use to do the same, blah blah blah..." I won't go on, cause that discussion was stupid.

Would you like me to go on?

King of Buses

Has anyone seen 144 lately? I haven't seen it at Belconnen Depot when I go to Cohen St Bus Station on weekends for ages, plus I haven't seen it on the road nor on Transittimes. There is usually just 145 and 147 plus space for another bus in the shed - but it is never filled (except occasionally by 450 on two separate weekends  :-\ ) Is 144 perhaps in for (a fair bit of) maintenance? Or is it just hiding from me?

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on April 10, 2016, 07:09:44 PM
Has anyone seen 144 lately? I haven't seen it at Belconnen Depot when I go to Cohen St Bus Station on weekends for ages, plus I haven't seen it on the road nor on Transittimes. There is usually just 145 and 147 plus space for another bus in the shed - but it is never filled (except occasionally by 450 on two separate weekends  :-\ ) Is 144 perhaps in for (a fair bit of) maintenance? Or is it just hiding from me?

I was going to mention this but it totally slipped my mind, on either Tues or Wedneday morning when my bus went past Woden Depot, there was a Dart sitting on a moving tow truck- I'm not sure if it was arriving, leaving, or just being moved, and didn't get a chance to check the fleet number.
Could this have been 144?

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 10, 2016, 08:06:31 PM

I was going to mention this but it totally slipped my mind, on either Tues or Wedneday morning when my bus went past Woden Depot, there was a Dart sitting on a moving tow truck- I'm not sure if it was arriving, leaving, or just being moved, and didn't get a chance to check the fleet number.
Could this have been 144?

144 isn't at Woden. This would've been 146 inconveniently being moved from next to 853 and 818 to behind 986...

Sylvan Loves Buses

though that was 148?

and i could've sworn i saw 144 last week on the roads, but doing a T shift

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 10, 2016, 04:38:05 PM
I was thinking Term 4, maybe. But you can't rush these things.
Doesn't really help much, but ACTION have recently said this:

Sylvan Loves Buses

something's been bugging me for years now about the Irises, and I want to get it right now.

Is it;
Agoraline
Agorline
Algoraline
Algorline
or?

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 06, 2016, 04:31:39 PM
something's been bugging me for years now about the Irises, and I want to get it right now.

Is it;
Agoraline
Agorline
Algoraline
Algorline
or?

None of the above actually.

It is an Agora Line. Agora is the model and Line the variant.

There are also Agora S and Agora L (articulated) models too.

The difference is the Line has the engine layout as we have generally in Australia the S and L the engine is off to the side giving room for another exit at the rear.

Sylvan Loves Buses

oh, well that explains a lot, thank you

The Love Guru

Quote from: ajw373 on May 06, 2016, 04:44:46 PM
None of the above actually.

It is an Agora Line. Agora is the model and Line the variant.

There are also Agora S and Agora L (articulated) models too.

The difference is the Line has the engine layout as we have generally in Australia the S and L the engine is off to the side giving room for another exit at the rear.
The engine is off to the side in ours too.

The engine sits in a cradle type structure that is suspended to the left side of the chassis, and is dropped down lower than in a high floor Renault. They also have an offset differential. I'm not sure if this was done to lower floor height or to allow additional room for the cooling system.

Line I think would refer to the type of work to be undertaken as route services are referred to as line work overseas.

ajw373

Quote from: The Love Guru on May 06, 2016, 09:27:36 PM
The engine is off to the side in ours too.

The engine sits in a cradle type structure that is suspended to the left side of the chassis, and is dropped down lower than in a high floor Renault. They also have an offset differential. I'm not sure if this was done to lower floor height or to allow additional room for the cooling system.

Line I think would refer to the type of work to be undertaken as route services are referred to as line work overseas.

I was trying to keep it simple considering who asked, but anyway, the engine in the Line is mounted longitudinally, in the S and L it is transversely mounted. Transverse gives the ability for an extra door right at the back.

The Line may well get its name from the work type, but engine location is very much what makes the Line different from the S and L.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've noticed they've started removing the guardrails (or whatever they're called) from the drivers side seats after the foldup seats on the old Scanias, i guess they finally got enough complaints from people complaining about not enough leg room or something... *sarcastic laugh*

On another topic, I've noticed today, one of the Artics has a red nose on it again (or it's just always been on there, and I haven't noticed). I was just wondering, how do they fix it on there? Cause I've noticed with the E6 front design, there isn't really much space there for something to hook onto.

Buzz Killington

Each question you asked has been answered on the ACTION Facebook page.