Why does everyone hate the Darts?

Started by Buzz Killington, July 18, 2011, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

To be honest.. I have a soft spot for the little buggers.

Not knowing the fuel consumption compared to the standard buses, I'd suggest that it makes much more sense for these to be operating the majority of suburban routes before 7.30am and after 7.30pm..

Snorzac

It would make sense, but they are darts. I hate them because they are loud and have no suspension, among other issues.

lukeo25

I too have a soft spot for them as most single deck buses in England are darts or buses with dart engines but with different bodies , ACTION should use them on routes in the day or weekend with little or no patronage the (9)82 and (9)88 and some others come to mind

CNG

Quote from: lukeo25 on July 18, 2011, 08:21:02 PM
I too have a soft spot for them as most single deck buses in England are darts or buses with dart engines but with different bodies , ACTION should use them on routes in the day or weekend with little or no patronage the (9)82 and (9)88 and some others come to mind

Yeah that dose sound practical however the driver might have a shift where they drive a high capacity run afters and it is annoiying having to have to bus changes. I don't mind the darts they are quite fun.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: CNG on July 18, 2011, 09:09:57 PM
Yeah that dose sound practical however the driver might have a shift where they drive a high capacity run afters

True, but particularly at night there are plenty of shifts that just do suburban runs all night, which should be using darts.

Irisbus Rider

I'm 100% with you Buzz. These buses were purchased to not only benefit ACTION, but commuters. Through providing more cost efficient services, this could potentially enable additional services, remember those Dart interior ads; 3/4 the bus, 3/4 the fuel, 3/4 the cost!

I applaud the efforts of a known ACTION driver and member of this forum who goes out of their way to drive these vehicles in off peak periods, it's fantastic to see.

However, on the flipside, these vehicles can be uncomfortable from a drivers perspective, due to the cramped drivers cabin, as well as poor braking and suspension.

Kramden

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on July 19, 2011, 07:39:04 PMHowever, on the flipside, these vehicles can be uncomfortable from a drivers perspective, due to the cramped drivers cabin, as well as poor braking and suspension.

Hmmm, is this what a new driver can look forward to after training?  Weeks/months in a Dart just to see if you can hack the pace.  No, no, let me guess, lot's of shifts where one is assigned a Mk III.  Uh oh...LOL!

smitho

As I understand it, the DARTS were promoted by a long retired ACT Minister along the lines that they'd achieve cost savings. In reality, that's doubtful because (1) Being of such small capacity, they're unsuitable for a fairly high proportion of ACTION runs, and (2) because any given shifts has a mixture of runs of varying passenger loads, it becomes difficult to integrate small capacity buses into the shift  and scheduling framework.

These sort of factors may result in their utilisation being low compared with a full sized bus; low utilisation means high costs per unit passenger which suggests that the case for small capacity buses could falter on dodgy economics.

Ed

Quote3/4 the bus, 3/4 the fuel, 3/4 the cost!

3/4 the cost my arse!

Unreliable buses costs a lot more to maintain. The Dart is certainly no exception.

belcodriver

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 18, 2011, 08:03:58 PM
I am the administrator of a busnerd website, watch me demonstrate my complete ignorance of buses.

Buzz Killington

Lol, I'm the first to admit my knowledge isn't great, hence the question posed by this thread.

Irisbus Rider

Hmmmm, maybe I was taken in by the positive spin the Gov't used to promote these vehicles.....

Quote from: Kramden on July 19, 2011, 08:04:02 PM
Hmmm, is this what a new driver can look forward to after training?  Weeks/months in a Dart just to see if you can hack the pace.  No, no, let me guess, lot's of shifts where one is assigned a Mk III.  Uh oh...LOL!
Ha ha ha, well, from I've been told, there are decent Darts out there, but the majority of them....well, let's not go there!

belcodriver

Quote from: Kramden on July 19, 2011, 08:04:02 PM

I doubt rosters go out of their way to assign shifts with Darts to new drivers. You are probably more likely to get 3s though as they are used interchangeably with the 2s and in the morning buses are assigned by the starters.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on July 25, 2011, 09:33:57 AM
Ha ha ha, well, from I've been told, there are decent Darts out there, but the majority of them....well, let's not go there!
Not decent, just less bad.

King of Buses

To be honest, I actually don't really mind the darts. :-[

Everyone (not everyone, a majority) of people probably hate them due to the fact that they are unreliable at times. Also they are slow and in summer they are ovens which we could probably roast a nice chicken in. Another reason could be when drivers are allocated a dart for a shift after using a renault (or other bus) and the driver takes the dart on the express run. Just what people need on Blue Rapids and Busy Xpressos. A bus which squeezes 5 people on a seat.
However, they are fantastic on routes like the 73/74, 76/77 and the 9. Possibly even the odd 10 to Fairbairn. :o

Sir Pompously

The idea of the darts is good, they are a small bus which are well suited to weekend and night work where patronage just does not warrant a full size vehicle. The problem is that they are not suited to Australia. The Dennis Dart is an inner city or small laneway bus, designed for Britain's cool climate (Not Canberra's very, very warm summers), with the engine power of a tractor.

A Solution to the problem, especially the hate from the drivers, is to replace them with something newer, and much more friendly to drivers, passengers and the environment. One option would be to replace the Dart's with a Short Wheel Base version of something like a Volvo B7R, a Scania K Series, the little itty bitty MAN (A BOY?), hell even a locally built Denning, IVECO or Bustech (MDi). These buses are comfortable, have great performance, and have low emissions! Sadly I know this will never happen and we will be stuck with these little buzz boxes for a while yet. I can say however, when they do come up for sale I will be purchasing one for novelty value.   

Barry Drive

One benefit of the Darts (possibly the only benefit): no bike rack!

smitho

They would make great seaside shacks (in the right climate, that is).

Barry Drive

Benefit #2: if one headlight dies, you've still got another 3.

Buzz Killington

Another benefit: the hilarious horn.

Busnerd

How was your Dart last night martin?

Barry Drive

Two more benefits:
#4 T-bar automatic!
#5 only bus that can do a U turn in City Bus Station.

Kramden

Now I've driven one (151) they won't be on my Christmas card list.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh/hasty, i.e. my inexperience as a driver coming through after just one session in this bus type.  I'll report back in after I've taken a few of them out on live runs. 

The Love Guru

Quote from: Kramden on August 17, 2011, 09:28:55 PM
Now I've driven one (151) they won't be on my Christmas card list.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh/hasty, i.e. my inexperience as a driver coming through after just one session in this bus type.  I'll report back in after I've taken a few of them out on live runs.

No need. They are shite and no amount of driving them will change that fact. When you haven't driven one for a while they have a novelty value that quickly wears off.

ajw373

I dislike the things because they sound like a sick washing machine, with their whine. The 4 years I lived in London everytime I got on a single decker, which are mostly darts (but slightly longer) I wished for the sound and get up and go of a real bus like we and mainland Europe have.