148 - Incident on London Cct

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, October 30, 2018, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

RIP 148 for the umpteenth time. I passed it today as a major incident on London Circuit took place this evening involving 148 and something that was enough to require all three of the major emergency services. Didn't get to see much as my bus passed on the wrong side of the road, just the front windscreen on 148 smashed and the wiper folded down.
If anyone has more info on it, I'd be very interested to know.

Why is 148 continuously being picked on? It's been run into, caught fire, had pretty much everything but being blown up happen to it, has someone got a vendetta against it or something?

Snorzac

It will be back on the road very soon I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Yeah. It's always the worst buses that just won't die, and darts cannot be killed, they're so bad that they're basically immortal. Whereas give any great bus a pat on the back and chances are it will implode behind repair or at least be off the road for months.  >:D

Snorzac

I think out of respect for all involved discussion of this incident should be limited, 148 was involved in a collision, it was revealed on the "On Scene ACT" Facebook page that this collision was with a pedestrian. The damage to the bus is minor however the pedestrian was taken to hospital in a very serious condition. I'm sure anyone here who is a driver or has ever driven a bus would agree that a collision with a pedestrian is a bus drivers worst nightmare. Thoughts are with all involved, this is a horrible situation and there are things in life more important than damage to a bus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triumph

I totally agree with the last post. We can only hope for the best outcome possible for the pedestrian.

What is a worry is that more and more pedestrians are taking liberties, ambling in front of buses glued to mobile phones, ignoring Don't Walk traffic signals, etc.

Westfield Belconnen is a case in point. There are pedestrian crossing lights here which are largely ignored. Recently I heard a tyre screech and turned to see a bus stopped with a hurrying pedestrian crossing against the Don't Walk literally being deflected off the front of the bus but still continuing to focus on hurrying on. I think a fatality/very serious injury is inevitable soon.

The City bus station is another pedestrian risk hot spot with the added complication of turning vehicles having to yield to pedestrians.

The crazy behaviour at the southbound Uni stop in Barry Drive is another worry with students darting across the multilane road, often in front of a bus departing the stop. The urge to rush and take the shortest way means the safety of the nearby signalised intersection is ignored

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on October 31, 2018, 12:06:50 AMThere are pedestrian crossing lights here which are largely ignored. Recently I heard a tyre screech and turned to see a bus stopped with a hurrying pedestrian crossing against the Don't Walk literally being deflected off the front of the bus but still continuing to focus on hurrying on.

Well I'm certainly placing my bet to think it was one of those kinds of people who were hit. If people thought Canberra drivers were appalling, just look at how many people wait for the green man to show before crossing - like literally a very small percentage.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 31, 2018, 12:55:26 AM
If people thought Canberra drivers were appalling, just look at how many people wait for the green man to show before crossing - like literally a very small percentage.
You can't blame them. Canberra has always been a car-centric city. If only city centres at least were a little more pedestrian friendly...

Barry Drive

To close this topic: Bus 148 resumed service on 101 yesterday.