Route / Timetable discussion

Started by Buzz Killington, August 16, 2009, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

Anytrip hasn't been showing me buses for the past couple of days, anyone else who uses it having the same issue?

triumph

Quote from: triumph on June 06, 2019, 11:02:05 PMDiversion from Hospital Rd Garran 11th to 20th June due road works.

TC Service Alerts advises R6 will not service the Canberra Hospital stop in Hospital Rd or the nearby stop in Gilmore Cresc. It seems the service will use Bateson Rd.

The 'secret' AMC Shuttle also uses Hospital Rd but is not mentioned in the Service Alert. Fits.
Quote from: triumph on December 05, 2019, 11:21:12 PMTC has issued a notice that Hospital Rd is closing for a period. Details of impact on R6 are given BUT as previously nothing has been said about the (secret) AMC Shuttle which also travels via Hospital Rd..

Hospital Road is closed yet again for 'roadworks'. (Actual road works I wonder or the use of road to support off road adjacent works?).

The stop closure/diversion notice issued by TC 19/5/20 mentions both R6 and, at last, the AMC Shuttle.

triumph

Route R3 has changed to by=pass Brindabella Business area until further notice. Reason given was traffic congestion,
It might be inferred that the Covid Testing site there is the cause of the congestion.

triumph

TC alerts advised of expected disruption to services last Fri afternoon but did not indicate why. Anyone know more?

Snorzac

One would assume possibly something to do with the Gold Creek School exposure site covering parents of children attending the school. You would think that some drivers, possibly (given the size of the school) may be affected by this.

Stan butler

Quote from: Snorzac on August 15, 2021, 11:28:35 PMOne would assume possibly something to do with the Gold Creek School exposure site covering parents of children attending the school. You would think that some drivers, possibly (given the size of the school) may be affected by this.

It would be interesting to see what happens with the services when (or if) more drivers have to isolate due to being "involved" with an exposure site.  That is, with the growing list of exposure sites, you could almost guarantee that some drivers would've been to at least 1 or 2 of those sites - so those drivers would have to test and isolate during the incubation period.   That will take drivers off the road.

Compounding this, if one driver tests positive and has been in the depot, then all drivers within contact would have to do the same - then a large swag of drivers would also have to come off the road.

I know there are many casuals and part-timers, but if this continues for a period of time, and considering the relative small size of Canberra's population (and the low level of degrees of separation in Canberra) then it is a risk for transport Canberra that they may not have enough drivers to service all the runs.

Bus 400

That's besides depot office staff, mechanics, refullers & transport officers. Practically all TC - Bus staff, atleast CDC/TC can fill in if LR has a COVID shut down. It'll be a long trip pushing a LRV along Adelaide Ave.

But as TfNSW has had to do now, there would now be a contingency plan in case this happens. I'd assume calling in Keirs/CDC/Murray's to run special rapids. But I'm fully speculating based off what Sydney has had to do.

Sylvan Loves Buses

To the best of your knowledge, have any of the following been used on local/school services in the past, and if yes where the bus stops were/are located?
-Jim Pike Ave between Woodcock Dr and Callaway Cres (Gordon)
-Jackie Howe Cres/Carson St (MacArthur)

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 25, 2021, 06:32:35 PMTo the best of your knowledge, have any of the following been used on local/school services in the past, and if yes where the bus stops were/are located?
-Jim Pike Ave between Woodcock Dr and Callaway Cres (Gordon)
-Jackie Howe Cres/Carson St (MacArthur)

No.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Okay.
So, was this planned to be a stop/terminus at some point but forgotten about when they didn't finish the road?

King of Buses

Terminus? No. Erindale, Chisholm and Richardson were always used as termini in that area, even for the interim services during construction. Potential stop though? Possibly, but not necessarily. From what I can gather, the version of Macarthur that was built was never meant to get a bus service - and that's due to the final design of Jackie Howe Cres, not because Carson St didn't continue through to Isabella Dr, so would think it unlikely they'd build a bay that's intended to be a bus stop, unless it had been given a new purpose. The houses there also don't seem to have driveways onto Carson St, so may also have something to do with that.

Bus 400

Looking at a 1989 version of a suburb plan, the part of Carson Street is planned to be shops. 

Originally, the only access to Pine Island was via the old Monaro Highway alignment. Which was a day trip even from Woden.

But I wonder if what became Carson St was the planned aligned for Isabella Drive/Pine Island Road? 
Similar to why Boddington Crescent in Kambah has a section like a dual carriageway. Either Drakeford Drive or Tuggeranong Parkway was planned to go that way. But that involves troving through Trove, sometimes for those stuck in lockdown......

But Government's change & plans change. Especially considering the planned route would of carved through what we know as Fadden Pines.

Bus 400

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 26, 2021, 05:56:15 PMOriginally, the only access to Pine Island was via the old Monaro Highway alignment. Which was a day trip even from Woden.

My mistake, Pine Island Road ran from Tharwa Road behind the now South Tuggeranong Fire Station.

Found a 1987 map, Carson St was originally called Kambah Road. Kambah Road continued to what's now an access road to a substation off Isabella Drive.

triumph

Have noticed a change in Strathnairn route 903.
Originally route doubled back via Arriotti, Havard, and Fairbrother Streets. It now continues on along and to the end (?) of Pro Hart Avenue, approximately a further 1/2km beyond Fairbrother, before doubling back at that point with a new stop there. (The street where Pro Hart currently ends seems yet to be name posted but may be Sally Ross Way.)
This change seems to have happened sometime since the July 18th 2020 printed TT booklet. Never noticed any TC announcement in Service Alerts ( perhaps buried in News) - can anyone enlighten?

narc855

That should because the construction work of Pro Hart Ave was not finished at that time.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on December 02, 2021, 12:18:20 PMThis change seems to have happened sometime since the July 18th 2020 printed TT booklet. Never noticed any TC announcement in Service Alerts ( perhaps buried in News) - can anyone enlighten?
Not sure if there was any announcement. The first I was aware of it was from the timetable change in August.

triumph

The Interim Time Table from 31/1/22 still has services departing from 'City West'. There seems to be no indication of adjustments yet to suit the new Turner Layover. Or is the 'City West' stop to be retained even when the new layover is in use? 

triumph

Denman Prospect shops stops discrepancies,.
How does route 10 serve Denman Prospect at weekends? The TC on-line TT shows it as a round trip at weekends, but the version which comes up with the map shows it as separate outbound and inbound services.  There is no indication that the actual route followed varies at weekends, with Denman Prospect Shops consistently shown as the timing point, and the map showing one way only along Felstead Vista.
But on site, the normal weekday stop (2831) opposite Denman Prospect shops seems not to be used at weekends. The posted at the stop timetable only shows R10 for weekdays, but at weekends does not show R10, just routes 47 (so the displayed timetable is bang up to date) and 66.
There is no timetable displayed at the Denman Shops stop adjacent to the shops which is used by route 66 (and 2 route 47s on schooldays?).
That brings us to route 47. The map shows it travels only one way round Felstead Vista, but the on-line time tables imply that the two schoolday extension services do, in fact use Felstead Vista in both directions. (There is also a discrepancy between the on-line time table and the version associated with the on-line map, the former showing all services including the school day extensions as round trips, but the latter shows the school day extension services as outbound and inbound relevant to Denman Prospect shops only.)
So what actually happens? Not clear either. The afternoon school extension service I travelled on did not divert to Denman Shops outbound. But last Wed I observed the same service letting a passenger off at the outbound Shops stop.
I have not observed an R10 weekend service.

Bus 400

For the brains trust. 

Is/has Giralang been the only suburb that has (for most of it's life) had 2 different bus routes going to 3 or more termini?

Giralang use to have separated buses from both City & Belconnen. With the City bus terminating at Kaleen. Now buses come from Gungahlin & Dickson going to Belconnen.

vnguyen

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 06, 2022, 06:42:14 PMFor the brains trust.

Is/has Giralang been the only suburb that has (for most of it's life) had 2 different bus routes going to 3 or more termini?

Giralang use to have separated buses from both City & Belconnen. With the City bus terminating at Kaleen. Now buses come from Gungahlin & Dickson going to Belconnen.

Narrabundah has 2 different bus routes and 3 different termini (4 if you you could the 56 evening services that terminates at NarrBundah Terminus).

There is City, Woden and Fyshwick.

Northside

Denman Prospect has 2 routes, heading to City, Woden and Weston Creek

Snorzac

Quote from: Northside on May 07, 2022, 07:47:35 PMDenman Prospect has 2 routes, heading to City, Woden and Weston Creek

Denman Prospect has three routes

triumph

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 06, 2022, 06:42:14 PMFor the brains trust.

Very minor aspect. Though not relevant to Giralang there is still one service (rte 31) on school days originating at St Michaels Kaleen and proceeding to Belconnen. This is the only scheduled public service now using Kaleen as a starting/terminating location.   

Northside

Quote from: Snorzac on May 08, 2022, 01:02:42 AM

Denman Prospect had three routes

Oh yeah. I forget the 47. Probably because I don't know anyone that's ever used it! Add Belconnen to the destination list.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on May 09, 2022, 09:28:15 PMWaiting for a TT change is highly desirable but not compulsory.

A timetable change would definetely influence my vote for the next election. Having to carry and go between 4 different timetables depending on what day of the week it is can be quite annoying - especially as I often don't know when the school terms end while I have my brain wrapped around the ANU schedual.

Instead of:
1 - School Interum Timetable - Renault bliss (which includes 47)
2 - Network 19 timetables for Sundays and to view the maps cuz the there's no new timetables
3 - School Holiday Interum Timetable aka the 2020/2021 Christmas Timetable - thank god I kept several copies
4 - and the Saturday Timetable I don't have cuz it's online or at interchanges only.

It should just be one ffs, or weekday/weekend like it was before.
They should also make one that's perminant for at least half<full decade. The biggest gripe I've noticed people always complaining about is how often it changes.

Snorzac

Whilst I agree that interim timetable is frustrating, with an ever evolving and changing city it is impossible and unrealistic to have the same timetable/network for 5-10 years...

Sylvan Loves Buses

I mean generally, like what we use to have. Keep the same network for a few years and add routes to new areas where/when necessary.

Snorzac

That's what they do? Major changes happened in 1998, 2008 and 2019....the timetable itself needs to change every time the network does otherwise you gain too many in-efficiencies and have buses dead running all over the place. 

Likewise with an evolving city you need ti be open yo adjusting routes to accommodate changes, you can't add a new run for every new suburb, so existing runs need to be adjusted over time...

triumph

The Fairbairn 3 month trial service rte 904 introduced in July was to be re-evaluated in October (3 months up) and was re-announced in TC News in December. But seems to no longer feature in the 30/1/23 Time Table and Journey Planner says 'walk'. Contradictory. So what is the Fairbairn shuttle status now? Can anybody clarify?

Bus 524

Quote from: triumph on February 11, 2023, 09:35:09 PMThe Fairbairn 3 month trial service rte 904 introduced in July was to be re-evaluated in October (3 months up) and was re-announced in TC News in December. But seems to no longer feature in the 30/1/23 Time Table and Journey Planner says 'walk'. Contradictory. So what is the Fairbairn shuttle status now? Can anybody clarify?
Currently the 904 is still operating. It never has shown up on NXTBUS or the Trip Planner but has not been operated by 217 499 as it is currently having some issues. I am unaware of what is currently operating it but the 904 is still on going and I believe the timetable thing is an oversight on TCs end

triumph

Quote from: Bus 524 on February 12, 2023, 03:11:00 PMCurrently the 904 is still operating. It never has shown up on NXTBUS or the Trip Planner but has not been operated by 217 499 as it is currently having some issues. I am unaware of what is currently operating it but the 904 is still on going and I believe the timetable thing is an oversight on TCs end
Turns out, despite the re-announcement well after the three month trial was up, that the route 904 Fairbairn shuttle service has not been used enough and will cease after the last service on the 28th February.
Given the part time nature and general lack of promotion (as noted by Bus 524 concerning NXTBUS and Trip Planner), this trial was probably destined to end in failure.
The impending cessation explains the absence of 904 from the current TC website TTs.

triumph

Noticed a subtle difference between on-line and printed TTs. On school days Rtes 41, 44, and 45 as printed are shown commencing from Radford College in the afternoon. That detail is no longer in the on-line TT for those routes. These services still operate.
Looking further, the same seems to apply generally to school diversions.

Quote from: triumph on July 24, 2023, 10:50:36 PMNoticed a subtle difference between on-line and printed TTs. On school days Rtes 41, 44, and 45 as printed are shown commencing from Radford College in the afternoon. That detail is no longer in the on-line TT for those routes. These services still operate.
Looking further, the same seems to apply generally to school diversions.
It looks like the HTML (live website) timetables have not been changed back to School Term after they were put to Holiday for the recent school break.

triumph

Quote from: 743 on July 25, 2023, 01:29:57 PMIt looks like the HTML (live website) timetables have not been changed back to School Term after they were put to Holiday for the recent school break.
But they do show the Renault trips which mostly disappear during the holidays.

Barry Drive

Having just checked, I've also noticed the loop routes don't display on a mobile browser.

But can confirm it is showing the School Holidays timetable. (Compare the accessible services with AnyTrip - they are not correct).

Please pass on your feedback to Transport Canberra.
https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/s/transport-feedback