Magnet Mart Belconnen to Close?

Started by Buzz Killington, December 06, 2009, 09:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Magnet Mart store may close               
By Scott Hannaford

Canberra hardware retailer Magnet Mart may be forced to close its Belconnen shop within six weeks as the company contemplates a possible move online.Chairman and company founder Paul Donaghue said a final decision would be made by mid-January but none of the company's other stores in NSW or the ACT would be affected.

Mr Donaghue spoke to the shop's 30 staff yesterday and assured them their jobs would be protected within the company in the event of the Belconnen store closing.

''As a retailer, the last thing you want to do is close a store but from time to time unfortunately that is what you have to do. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to go forwards,'' he said.

The arrival of the nearby Bunnings had taken its toll on the business but he said the company remained healthy and was actively looking at expanding to new sites within the ACT. A location close to the city is understood to be a high priority.

The Belconnen shop is one of the company's oldest, opened in 1976 under the Paul's brand. After a rebranding to Magnet Mart and a move to the ''big box'' warehouse format in 2002 with the opening of the Gungahlin shop, the business expanded into southern NSW, taking the total number of shops to six.
Magnet Mart closed its Albion Park shop in January this year.

Mr Donaghue said he was working on a new ''bricks and clicks'' concept that would help modernise the business with a move online.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/magnet-mart-store-may-close/1696910.aspx

Barry Drive

Work is progressing with the fit-out of the site. The bare bricks have been painted white. Still don't have a clue what will open there.

Bus 400

Rumour from an electrical supplier is that the Good Guys is set to move into the old Magnet Mart Belconnen site.

smitho

Good - it is an eye sore as it stands, with the half hearted 'white' paint job looking like something you'd find in a banana republic.

CanberraTransport

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 05, 2010, 07:23:17 PM
Rumour from an electrical supplier is that the Good Guys is set to move into the old Magnet Mart Belconnen site.

There was an ad in The Chronicle today seeking staff for a new Good Guys store in Belco.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: smitho on May 05, 2010, 09:48:48 PM
Good - it is an eye sore as it stands, with the half hearted 'white' paint job looking like something you'd find in a banana republic.
Ouch, Banana Republic Australia would be offended hearing that. Infact, as a frequent shopper of my local Banana Republic store, I'm offended :P

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on May 06, 2010, 12:32:28 AM
Ouch, Banana Republic Australia would be offended hearing that. Infact, as a frequent shopper of my local Banana Republic store, I'm offended :P

Sorry! I'll have to choose my words more carefully....

p_stampy

It seems its not so white anymore.. now red.

p_stampy

Drive by photo of the current state of the building.

Busnerd

my GOD thats hideous, they could have at least taken off some of that glass facade it looks stupid

smitho

noticed over the past week that it has morphed into a Good Guys store...can't be too far off opening.

p_stampy

Yeh, I noticed that yesterday morning too!

blackdragon

Ah I wondered where the Belconnen one was going to go, they were advertising for staff a couple of months back.

Barry Drive

Roger Murphy "The Good Guys" Belconnen was supposed to be open from today.

Buzz Killington

The Canberra Times is reporting that Magnet Mart has been acquired by Woolworths as part of their move into the hardware sector and will become part of the "Danks" brand

One guess for what the competition will be referring to Danks as...

p_stampy

Busnerd

CanberraTransport

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 07, 2010, 01:35:13 PM
One guess for what the competition will be referring to Danks as...

Could I buy a W for Woolworths?

Barry Drive

Danks is the wholesale supplier for Home Hardware and Thrifty-Link hardware (and is owned by Woolworths Limited). From what I've read, Magnet Mart will continue to trade under its current name, but will be owned by Woolworths and supplied by Danks.

Buzz Killington

Today Tonight reporting that the Woolworths/Lowe's hardware chain will in fact be branded as Masters.

smitho

Anyone on the Forum use Stratco?

I thought they were just an SA outfit but friend told me recently that they have a retail outlet in ACT.

Barry Drive

Never been to their store, but I've got a Stratco fence at my place.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 11, 2011, 06:49:23 PM
Today Tonight reporting that the Woolworths/Lowe's hardware chain will in fact be branded as Masters.

Logo was confirmed a little while back now..

Bus 400

It is being rumored that Good Guys Belconnen will close when the lease runs out.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 26, 2012, 07:22:31 PM
It is being rumored that Good Guys Belconnen will close when the lease runs out.

Gee, that's a bit grim.

Busnerd

about time, I have always hated that building, lets hope they knock it down

smitho

It'd be a good site for a fast food outlet....

Buzz Killington

Probably just a tad too far from the mall and its many, many eateries for that.

Officeworks could've just moved in there, rather than constructing a whole new building!

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on April 26, 2012, 09:40:37 PM
Gee, that's a bit grim.

There is also a local courier company that is shutting down in the next few months. It's called Prime Industries & currently delivers to hardware & plumbing to numerous stores in Canberra & Queanbeyan.

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on May 28, 2011, 02:33:10 PM
Anyone on the Forum use Stratco?

I thought they were just an SA outfit but friend told me recently that they have a retail outlet in ACT.

I know this is an old thread but see the question above hasn't been answered. Anyway Stratco in the ACT is slightly different to SA. Here they mainly sell things like fences, sheds, roofing and the like with some minor hardware lines. Whereas in SA it is a full on hardware shop ala Bunnings etc.