982 off the road

Started by Busnerd, October 20, 2010, 03:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busnerd

For those who haven't heard yet, 982 was hit by a reversing garbage truck today.

It appears as though the truck has reveresed out straight into the side of the bus.

The body from the second nearside window to the rear of the bus is all bent in, the windows in those places were all smashed and the last panel afer the last window was also partially 'peeled off' much like opening a can of watties baked beans and sausages or is that..sausagettes?

Anywhozen, by the looks of it I would say it has some pretty nasty structural damage and will be in the workshops for a while. Some people might say it is a right off but that would depend on the impact on the chasis caused by the accident. If it is only body damage then im sure they will fix it, they have plenty of spare parts!

CNG

dear god my favourite bus, I hope it is alright.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busn00b on October 20, 2010, 03:38:53 AM
For those who haven't heard yet, 982 was hit by a reversing garbage truck today.
Today? Sometime between 12am and 3am?? Sounds a little unlikely.

Snorzac

saw it today been moved to Belconnen while waiting for the supervisors to come and pick me up. It will be off the road for some time but is repairable.

Barry Drive

OK. But is it worth repairing considering they are withdrawing buses anyway? Wouldn't it be better to scrap this one for parts and keep an older one in service a while longer?

Snorzac

I hope not. 982 is the best one, not that they will look at it that way

Bus 400

Quote from: MyWay on October 20, 2010, 04:06:14 PM
OK. But is it worth repairing considering they are withdrawing buses anyway? Wouldn't it be better to scrap this one for parts and keep an older one in service a while longer?

Especially since Tuggeranong Depot now has 2 buses out for a while with damage (351 & 982). So Bus 982 could be decommissioned & the recent transfer of Bus 877 could the the replacement for 982 & not 765/768. But if ACTION did go down that path, would another bus get a Aboriginal livery applied?

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Busn00b on October 20, 2010, 03:38:53 AM

The body from the second nearside window to the rear of the bus is all bent in, the windows in those places were all smashed and the last panel afer the last window was also partially 'peeled off' much like opening a can of watties baked beans and sausages or is that..sausagettes?

Watties?? Lol, Heinz now bro (Except if you are in NZ, still Watties there).

CNG

gosh I hate hearing the fact that 982 could get scrapped, I pray they can fix it. 982 is a great bus she runs well and looks good.

Snorzac

Yeah, I am pretty sure they will scrape it..... I think the word you are looking for is scrapped

Busnerd

Quote from: MyWay on October 20, 2010, 03:21:43 PM
Today? Sometime between 12am and 3am?? Sounds a little unlikely.

On nightshift, all days blend into one, therefore my day went from 12pm til 5am today

CNG

Quote from: Metrobus on October 20, 2010, 09:00:44 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure they will scrape it..... I think the word you are looking for is scrapped

How would you feel if 777 could possibly be scrapped?

Snorzac

I would think to myself, "It's a bus, it has been written off, do I care, not really, will it affect my life no"

777 hasn't got long left anyway, perfect candidate for restoration people :D

Ed

QuoteHow would you feel if 777 could possibly be scrapped?

Being a 700-series MkI PR2. It's not going to last long in the fleet anyway.

CNG

to be honest I think 982 is fairly safe.

Simes

It all depends on what the insurer says really....

Barry Drive

I've not seen 982 in the repair bay recently which leads me to suspect that its repairs are almost complete.

Buzz Killington

ACT Bus Spotter tweets that 982 is not far off a return to service, although its special livery wrap has been removed.

CNG

oh why did they remove the wrap, the basterds. Another AOA gone.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: CNG on February 24, 2011, 07:20:02 AM
oh why did they remove the wrap

To repair the damaged panels? Would've looked a bit silly if they just took that part of it off.

Presumably it was painted into corporate livery either before its wrap or after its repairs. Otherwise it would look very odd indeed.. Almost as odd as..

CNG

but i wonder if they will put it in another aboriginal wrap again

Buzz Killington

Would be nice if they do get the community to design another one, but who knows what the odds are.

CNG

well i will send an email to action, because i find it disgusting with the decline in the number of aoa buses.

Snorzac

Quote from: CNG on February 24, 2011, 06:11:05 PM
well i will send an email to action, because i find it disgusting with the decline in the number of aoa buses.

You do realize people have to pay for AOAs and really I don't think your everyday commuter cares whether the buses have AOAs or not.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: CNG on February 24, 2011, 06:11:05 PM
Really? You will just get the stock standard reply while those at TAMS have a good laugh. AOA Buses are a revenue source, companies pay for a bus to be wrapped in an AOA. Without the company to purchase an AOA, Bus Advertising cannot place one on. The Aboriginal liveries are Special Liveries, they do not advertise anything and, as far as I am aware, were paid for by the ACT Government. The Government has a choice, to pay for it to be re-applied or to have the bus repainted (Probably still brown underneath). A more structured argument you could send in to TAMS is asking them if the Livery will be re-applied and the benefits of re-application. Not that you "Find it disgusting", not that I am sure what you could exactly be "Disgusted" about. Using the words you used is pompous and uptight, like a spoiled brat not getting his way.

Barry Drive

If you care that much, why not offer to pay for the AOA to be re-applied. Just one note of caution, the bus has not yet re-entered service - until it does any speculation about what livery it will be in is just that: SPECULATION!

CNG

Quote from: Metrobus on February 24, 2011, 10:01:35 PM
You do realize people have to pay for AOAs and really I don't think your everyday commuter cares whether the buses have AOAs or not.

yeah I am just an AOA spotter and love seeing them.

Sir Pompously

Unless you pay for them companies will not put them on just because you love seeing them. I am sure they would be up for some freebie advertising.

I love my AOA's too, but I wouldn't write to TAMS demanding more of them as it is out of their control. The Special Liveries of days gone are what I would love to see, Government departments advertising their services to the people, showing what they do in an attractive livery. However, I know that is not going to happen, simply because the Government departments do not care about that anymore (We are a self Government city, with a Federal Government influence and the Capital City that no body cares about) and will not put any money towards such a livery. A Shame, but reality.

Buzz Killington

Join the young liberals party of the ACT and make it one of your policies.

CNG

Busnerd

I presume it is now 'naked'

King of Buses

Quote from: Busn00b on March 14, 2011, 05:47:43 PM
I presume it is now 'naked'

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It must look stupid now as it's been how long since it's worn that livery?

Snorzac

It has always been in either the reconciliation livery or the second wrap, up until now it has never been in corporate

Bus 400

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but a slight change in the livery has been applied to Bus 982. I have only noticed as the two times I've seen the rear of the bus, I've been driving along behind it. Well the change is the orange below the indicator lights is now blue as shown by our model-Bus 808:

Before

After

Buzz Killington

Yeah I noticed that. Looks a bit odd.

smitho

982 appears to be sporting a freshly done all-over repaint...looks great, nice shiny, smooth enamel. Wondered if the new Workshop apprentices did this as a training exercise.

smitho

Should also add that 982 has no ACTION logos on side or front..

Kramden

982 passed me on Callum St today and appeared like it'd been painted recently.  Looks good.

smitho

Checked out 982 at close range the other day; is definitely new enamel, not vinyl.

It still lacks any ACTION logos.