Proposed Suburbs of Tuggeranong in 1975

Started by Buzz Killington, May 26, 2011, 11:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

An interesting find courtesy of Archives ACT is this map of proposed suburbs for Tuggeranong in 1975 that carries more than a few differences to what we ended up with.

List of Proposed Suburbs:
Kambah (Same as now)
Wanniassa (same as now)
Oxley  (Essentially between Urambi Hills (Learmonth Dr) and the Vikings Club?)
Woodward (Covers part of Gowrie and Fadden)
Fawkner (Ditto)
Stuart
Bass (Part of Greenway)
Monash (Half the size)
Gowrie (Mostly similar)
Isabella Plains (Similar, but takes part of current Monash)
Dobell
Freshford -
Maccallum
Lalor (Part of Greenway and Bonython)
Franklin (now Richardson)
Chisholm (same as present)
Gilmore (same as present)
Calwell (same as present)
Mitchell (covers part of Bonython and Gordon)
Dunrossil
Lindsay
Somers
Paterson (small part of Calwell)
Fadden (Conder)
Denison (Part of Gordon)
Boyer (Part of Gordon?)
Chippindall
Macarthur
Batman (Banks)
Murdoch
Throsby
Slessor
Wardell
Wakefield
Flinders
Hume
Tharwa
Heysen
Pedder
Niland
Cuppacumbalong

This map would indicate to me that the old 'Kambah was meant to be four suburbs but only one name was available' story is probably not true. Interesting to see how some of the names have been adopted elsewhere in Canberra as suburb names (Hume, Franklin, Mitchell, Macarthur and Throsby) whilst others are street names (Dunrossil, Heysen, Chippindall)

Sir Pompously

Cool! I have always wanted to see what the proposed Tuggeranong was, seeing as though the Parkway was supposed to continue and West Tuggeranong was to be built. I wonder if we may see some of these suburb names pop up for Molonglo?

Bus 400

Where the Tuggeranong Parkway would of continued through, is why Kambah Pool Road is gazetted to continue through to the Tuggeranong Parkway.

But I always thought the hills would of been too steep along the Murrumbidgee Ridge to build anyway. Does anyone know if this could go ahead, once Molonglo Valley is fully developed? Otherwise there isn't much more land for Canberra expand to, as the east side has been/was to be commercial land.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 26, 2011, 10:05:03 PM
Does anyone know if this could go ahead, once Molonglo Valley is fully developed? Otherwise there isn't much more land for Canberra expand to, as the east side has been/was to be commercial land.

I thought Kowen was the next area marked for residential, but that's a long time away. Don't like the chances of West Tuggeranong eventuating but you never know.

smitho

Recollecting what occurred at the time - National Capital Development Commission had planned for Tuggeranong to straddle both sides of the Murrumbidgee, thus putting the Town Centre closer to the centre of things than what eventuated. NCDC also had in mind Tuggeranong extending much further south...certainly well beyond Lanyon Homestead. Its plans would have seen Tharwa enveloped by suburbia.

In the event, the Minister for Urban and Regional Development at that time (Tom Uren MP, a survivor of the Thai-Burma Railway) rejected NCDC's proposals on both environmental & aesthetic grounds, reducing the spread of Tuggeranong to the borders we have now. As a consequence, the population capacity of the district was significantly reduced...by about 25% to 30% from memory.

Busnerd

Damn, we could have ended up with some good suburbs like Throsby, Franklin and similar to melbourne in having our very own Batman suburb. It's always a shame to see plans from the past that never eventuated....however I am glad they never made a Cupacumbalong suburb...it was bad enough hearing that name mentioned when talking about the school camp to birragai

Bus 400

Canberra does have a suburb of Franklin & Throsby will be to the east of Forde in Gungahlin Region.

Sir Pompously

He is a Canberran, so he is aware. He is talking about Tuggeranong not Canberra.

Busnerd

Irisbus Rider

IIRC, 'Buzz Killinton', West Tuggeranong was indefinately shelved when the Murrumbidgee River corridor was developed in the last decade. And yes, Kowen is the next location earmarked for development, after Molonglo of course.

Thanks for the history behind this development 'smitho'. I for one, am very grateful Tom Uren made those decisions, as it has led to the development of a river corridor which protects vital riparian vegetation to ensure that the Murrumbidgee's waters remain pristine downstream from the ACT.

smitho

Yeah, I agree with you 110% Irisbus Rider....to my knowledge, it was one of the first occasions when the NCDC's plans were foiled in  a big way.