Driving A Bus With Reading Not Ideal

Started by Bus 400, August 04, 2009, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Quote from: Daily Telegraph
Bus driver reader keeps his job
A SYDNEY bus driver who read a book while driving a packed peak-hour service has been let off with a warning.

A passenger who boarded the bus on William St watched as the driver sat stationary - despite having a green traffic light - because he was so enthralled in the novel.
The passenger, who did not want to be named, then photographed the driver for the next 10 minutes as he crawled along Elizabeth St barely looking up from the novel on the steering wheel.
The passenger - who is now so frightened at the thought of getting on buses that she walks to work - reported the incident and asked the State Transit Authority to report back to her. After three months she heard nothing and decided to speak out.
The STA has confirmed the incident took place about 8.30am on May 6 and warned its drivers that safety is a priority.

"I noticed that we didn't go through the green lights so I looked up to see why he hadn't moved. The arrow went green to turn into Elizabeth St and he didn't move. That's when I saw he was reading and I started taking photos," the passenger said.
She said the bus was full and was worried the distracted driver might hit a pedestrian or car.
"He read the whole way down Elizabeth St, even when he was accelerating the book was on his steering wheel. When he pulled up to a stop or at a set of lights he would really get into the book," she said.
STA chief executive Peter Rowley confirmed yesterday that the incident did occur.
"The driver has been seen and counselled for his actions and we are sure this type of behaviour will not occur again," he said. "The safety of bus passengers and employees is State Transit's number one priority.
"State Transit's policy is clear in that drivers must control vehicles in a safe manner at all times and I expect that to be adhered to. When bus drivers are on duty and driving passengers I expect them to be driving, not reading books."

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/bus-driver-reader-keeps-his-job/story-e6freuy9-1225757598616

Mod Note: Please Preview your post before posting, I have edited it so it actually makes some sense instead of being mashed in together. The enter key is found on the right hand side of the keyboard.