ACTION's new radio system

Started by Barry Drive, May 26, 2011, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Starting to wonder if they are waiting for the new radio system before any more new buses go into service. They have fitted out around 10 with bike racks and wiring for the ticket equipment, but no radios.

Barry Drive

Called it! 436-445 will be fitted with the new radios in a trial of the new system which starts in June. 441-445 will go to Tuggeranong. Full rollout of the system will be completed by December.

No word yet on when they plan to install it in the remaining buses.

Bus 400

On a side note, is there any word on any changes with the new radio system.

Hopefully with a new radio & ticket system complete by years end, this should speed up the commissioning of the new buses.

Barry Drive

Changes in what sense? The main changes will be the removal of the data screen and replacement of the Tait equipment with Motorola; new radio will use ACT TRN which is also used by ESA and Rangers.

Bus 400

I was just after information on anything new. I hope that the problems the ESA occurred with the TRN network are fixed up & not occurred by ACTION.

A few of the problems that occurred included reception blackouts, some radio towers not working, etc. I remember spending a few boring hours at a ESA Station, while every radio in the station had to be reprogrammed. It took 10-20 minutes per a unit & we only had 8 units.

But the radios the ESA use are also Motorola's & are easy to use (if ACTION use the same units).

Barry Drive

Trial is set to commence next week (28 June).

Snorzac

Pretty sure I saw 436 heading into the City at about 1300 today.

Barry Drive

So far I can confirm 436 & 441 in service. There could be others already at T depot, but not at B (although 437 shouldn't be far off).

Bus 400

I suspect that Bus 978 may of had the new radio system installed this morning.

I say this as I spotted being driven on a workshop roadtest & it now features a new antenna on the front of the bus (next to the desto box).

Barry Drive

I saw that aerial earlier this week. I hope that it's not related to the new radio system as it doesn't look good mounted there. Anyway, only the 10 MANs were mentioned as being part of the trial - all other buses will be fitted later.

AOQ951

Anyone got a photo of the antenna?

Does anyone know if this can be received using a scanner??

Cheers,
AOQ951

Maxious

Quote from: AOQ951 on July 02, 2011, 02:51:08 PM
Anyone got a photo of the antenna?

Does anyone know if this can be received using a scanner??

Cheers,
AOQ951

http://www.nswgrn.com/program-uniden.htm seems to suggest it can with "a radio scanner capable of decoding a Motorola APCO P25 trunking system with a 9600 baud rate. "

Barry Drive

440 finally entered service yesterday (15 Aug). Motorola radios will not be fitted to any other buses until trial is complete.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 16, 2011, 10:36:34 AM
440 finally entered service yesterday (15 Aug). Motorola radios will not be fitted to any other buses until trial is complete.
Took them long enough for 440 to enter service!

Bus 400

A bit of topic, but it will be interesting if the reason for 440's delay because it is a slug or a flyer.

Barry Drive

Trial is now complete. Rollout to all buses will commence soon and will be completed early 2012.

As far as I can tell, the next 5 or so MANs in service will still be initially fitted with a Tait radio.

Barry Drive

Word is that fitting of Motorolas has begun; 6 buses are being done per day (per depot?). At that rate, all buses should be fitted by January.

Barry Drive

(from elsewhere) I have seen Mk2s other than 904 with a Motorola - officially 900 was first since it was part of the trial.

Barry Drive

Probably worth mentioning that 461 was the last bus to enter service with the old Tait radio.

Barry Drive

The end is in sight: fitting of the Darts has commenced.

Merv319

Bus 332 seems to be the last Scania CNG remaining its old radio.

Barry Drive

Installation has now begun on the artics at B depot. At this rate, all of B depot should be done by early next week if not sooner.

Barry Drive

With the withdrawal of 804, 808 & 843 from T depot last week, I think we can safely assume that all buses are now fitted with the new Motorola equipment.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 29, 2012, 01:13:38 PM
With the withdrawal of 804, 808 & 843 from T depot last week, I think we can safely assume that all buses are now fitted with the new Motorola equipment.

Yes, I'd say you're right....