MAN Purchase and Deliveries

Started by Bus 400, January 10, 2009, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

While farewelling drivers on the morning runs, I managed to speak with a mechanic who was working on a 700 series standard. We got talking about when those 700 100.2's would be replaced & got talking about the 14.5m. But I have noticed that the bendy bit in a few of the MkII artics are ripped to shreds. While the MkI artics look unripped.

Irisbus Rider

Bellows can be an aftermarket thing, but maybe the mechanics in the bellows are different in the MkI Artics compared to a MkII, don't know. The mechanic may very well be correct.

Bus 400

My sources have informed me that ACTION are expecting the first MAN is early September. However the Scania's are still in pending acceptance testing stage.

Bus 400

Below is an email I sent to one of my sources & their reply:

-Are you able to tell me when ACTION are due to recieve their new 14.5 Scania or standard MAN buses?
The expectation is that the Standard MAN's will be here early September

The Scania's are a little further in the future pending acceptance testing

-Are the MAN's going to be the CB60 body shape as per the current MAN's?

CB60 EVOii

-Is Belconnen Depot going to be trusted with any of these new MAN's?

Belconnen will be the launch depot. Both depots are equal as far as performance & quality are concerned

-If the 14.5 Scania's complete testing will the allocation for these buses be the same as the same allocation for the Renault PR180.2's?

ACTION will require large capacity vehicles that comply with the ACT Roads regulations as replacements for the aging PR180.2's

-Will the MAN's just start off with 390 & the artic replacement continuing after that?

BUS 390 is the next number in sequence for the Rigids
BUS 500 will be the next number sequence for the next large capacity vehicles

That should help to clear up a few questions some may have. That also means that the numbers (should) start to make a bit of sense & it look if ACTION will have the same amount of MAN it has had in the past (Previously 410 to 584=174 & now 374 to 499=125)

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 19, 2009, 10:14:26 AM
That also means that the numbers (should) start to make a bit of sense & it look if ACTION will have the same amount of MAN it has had in the past (Previously 410 to 584=174 & now 374 to 499=125)
You may want to check your maths, as well as the fleet history. ACTION had 152 MAN SL200s; 374 to 499 equals 126 buses.

But just because the 14.5s are starting at 500 doesn't mean that all numbers up to 499 will be used (yet) or will all be MAN 18.310s if they are used. The current order is for 100 buses in total - so that means only 76 new diesel MANs (for a total of 92).

What you should have asked is how many (if any) buses will be disposed of once the new buses are delivered.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 19, 2009, 10:14:26 AM
Is Belconnen Depot going to be trusted with any of these new MAN's?
Don't quit your day job, because your humour is pathetic.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing the e-mail with us.

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on June 19, 2009, 01:05:15 PM
What you should have asked is how many (if any) buses will be disposed of once the new buses are delivered.

I know it has been mentioned before that 60 of the new buses are replacements & the other 40 are to be added to the fleet. But I'll see what info is available.

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on June 19, 2009, 04:58:38 PM
Don't quit your day job, because your humour is pathetic.
But you've got to love the diplomatic response

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 19, 2009, 09:14:21 PM
But you've got to love the diplomatic response
Yeah, it is the Government after all, one would expect nothing else.

Buzz Killington

Interesting to know they'll go to 500 for the 14.5 fleet numbers.
But yeah, someone needs to ask what the plans for the artics are - disposal or school/specials?

Bus 400

I have been told that 467-499 are vacant numbers (just like 200 series). The buses due to be decommissioned will be decided early next year. I am unable to get more info at this stage.

Barry Drive

Bus 400

At the Info night the Northern Manager confirmed the first diesel MAN will arrive on September 14 at Belconnen Depot.

Snorzac

I see that you have used your 'undercover' powers TP 3000.

Bus 400

Kinda, anyway the Fleet Services Manager was there as well. All they said on the artic replacements was that they would be replaced with high capacity buses. But it sounds like it was confirmed that day (yesterday 04/08/09)

But I couldn't anyway as all those that turned up-I knew who they were & half knew me.

smitho

I haven't seen or heard of any confirmation that contracts for new MAN fleet additions including ST buses have been signed as yet.  Has anyone else?

Snorzac

Apon driving through the depot today looking into the workshops I spotted a MAN. The driver I was with went into the starters office to find out what it was doiung there and they said that it was BUS 390 and it arrived yesterday!

particleman

Bus 400

lukeo25

if it did arrive yesterday, it probably came during the cover of darkness to be protected

Snorzac

I only saw the rear as it was in the workshops but I would say that it is a CB60, in fact  I have no doubt that it is a CB60. I actually though it might of been one of the gas MANs so it would be the exact same body.

The starters say that it has some grunt!

Irisbus Rider

Wow, that'd be great if it has already arrived. Just in time for RedEx, eh.

The Love Guru

Anyone seen the mystery 390?? No sign of it at B depot.

On a side note, expressions of interest have been called for drivers for the Redex trial. Judging from the criteria there will be a seperate roster with only drivers who are part of the trial doing the runs. Rostering will be done in a block unlike current ACTION shifts.

Snorzac

For the benefit of the drivers when I saw it, it was inside the last door of the workshops as you are heading in towards the bus wash.

Bus 400

Went & did a walk around today. All I saw was an AEC & what looked like the back of a Scania. I say that as it didn't have a rear desto.

Snorzac

I spoke to a driver this morning and apparently it is in a Special livery for the 'World's First Euro 5 MAN'!

Bus 400

Are we allowed to see these pictures or do we have to wait until the official release?

Snorzac

Quote from: TP 3000 on August 27, 2009, 11:19:04 AM
Went & did a walk around today. All I saw was an AEC & what looked like the back of a Scania. I say that as it didn't have a rear desto.
Which depot did you walk around? It is in the workshops at Belconnen and it is not visible if you walk around the depot. To see it you have to be in the depot while that particular workshop is open.

Bus 400

Snorzac

Yeah, you won't see it, if you are with a driver and they have to layover in the depot though, it is a great chance to get a peek

Bus 400

Yeah that person (for me) is off for 5-6 weeks.

Snorzac

Quote from: TP 3000 on August 27, 2009, 06:39:42 PM
Are we allowed to see these pictures or do we have to wait until the official release?
Who said anything about pictures?

Bus 400

You
Quote from: Lemon on August 27, 2009, 11:01:28 PM
Who said anything about pictures?

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Lemon.

View the reply at: http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1008.new;topicseen#new[/]

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=1008.0[/]

The text of the reply is shown below:
I spoke to a driver this morning and apparently it is in a Special livery for the 'World's First Euro 5 MAN'!

Mr Swift has pictures :)
ie Head of ACTION Swift

Snorzac

Right......

Bus 400

I wonder how long this special livery will stay on? Also what standard are the other green liveried buses in the ACTION fleet? I know that Transperth have a sticker telling you what Euro standard is.

Irisbus Rider

Darts and Iris' are Euro II, Scanias are Euro III (320-361, 363-366) and V (362, 367-373), and the MAN Gassies are all Euro IV.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: TP 3000 on August 28, 2009, 12:11:47 AM
I wonder how long this special livery will stay on? Also what standard are the other green liveried buses in the ACTION fleet? I know that Transperth have a sticker telling you what Euro standard is.

Probably for aslong as it takes for it to wear off.

Bus 400

I was told today by another driver that at around 13:30 most days this week 390 has been at Tuggeranong Interchange. The first day or so it was in the ACTION Standard livery, but did change. I won't be able to find out where it will be next week until Wednesday

Bus 400

Would anyone who has seen the driver compartment like to describe what it looks like? 2 drivers have told me that it looks just like the Iris compartment, but roomier. For those that have seen the Tuggies MAN's, has anything changed between 389 & 390?

Snorzac

It will be exactly the same as the CNG MANs!!! The only change with this is that there is no gas pod and the air conditioner is at the front, and of course with 390 only the MAN stickers.

It is the same body on the same chassis that are being made 12 months apart, nothing will have changed.

Busnerd

Don't forget the different gearbox *apparently* will be ZF, so you might get a ZF hub on it...but otherwise exactly right, will look the same basically!

ec6060

BUS 390 is on display in Civic Square this arvo. It has the old style bike rack

Snorzac

Yeah, they had a media launch. The bike rack is actually one of the bike rack purchased from BT. This is a great bus, its a voith box from what I can tell after my ride today.

Snorzac

WIN news states that 'the second new MAN will arrive in Canberra tomorrow'. I assume that means that 391 will be here!

Bus 400

What a pity the media thing wasn't later, they could of had 2 new MAN's either side of Stanhopey.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Lemon on September 15, 2009, 07:27:55 PM
WIN news states that 'the second new MAN will arrive in Canberra tomorrow'. I assume that means that 391 will be here!
WIN news was right. The bus which will become 391 (once it gets registered, has fleet numbers applied, gets a radio, ticket machine, bike rack and a wash) arrived at Belconnen Depot yesterday. It has the standard decals (including 'Air Conditioned for your comfort') so from the side it could be mistaken for an Irisbus (if you were only looking at the roofline).

particleman

Quote from: Martin on September 17, 2009, 12:02:29 PM
WIN news was right. The bus which will become 391 (once it gets registered, has fleet numbers applied, gets a radio, ticket machine, bike rack and a wash) arrived at Belconnen Depot yesterday. It has the standard decals (including 'Air Conditioned for your comfort') so from the side it could be mistaken for an Irisbus (if you were only looking at the roofline).
Yep, saw it this afternoon, driving on the corner of Cohen and Lathlain, in Belco. Had its desto set on the old 33 to the War Memorial. I thought it was 390 at first, but I saw no number plate or fancy graphics, so I thought that this would be 391.

Buzz Killington

No number plate eh?

Perhaps somebody can confirm if 391 has been plated yet.. if so, could it be 392?

Bus 400

I wonder why it had the old destos programmed in it?

smitho

390 has not been used on the 1st southbound 300 these last 3 days but I've seen it in the Belco Depot sheds each morning around 0730...it is due to be used for driver training over the next 2 days.

Busnerd

The most likely reason is that Belconnen has never had a hanover bus before, and probably only had an old file in their computer system to put in it!