ACTION branding

Started by MJ, February 04, 2016, 01:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ

Hi all,

I'm researching some design schemes from Canberra in the 70's and wondered if anyone knew anything about the ACTION identity created in about 1977? Basically the original worm-like logo with the Blue and Orange palette. I'm particularly interested to know who designed it, or which studio or department was responsible for it.

Thanks

Barry Drive

Worth noting that the colour scheme / livery and wheel logo pre-dated the ACTION name.

They originated in about 1975 - there were at least two schemes trialled in the early 1970s to replace the coffee and red livery. (See the gallery for a photo of the rejected colours.)

Anyway, by the time the mass delivery of buses occurred in 1975, the orange / blue scheme has been chosen.

I realise this doesn't actually address your question though.

Sir Pompously

The wheel logo came about in 1976; I am unsure if an agency designed the logo or if it was done internally by the Department of the Capital Territory. The colour scheme predated the logo whilst the name arrived last in 1977. When the logo was introduced on timetables and marketing material it was either used on its own or had "Canberra Bus Service" next to it. The logo iteself represents the 6 districts of Canberra as planned; they are North Canberra, South Canberra, Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden/Weston Creek and Tuggeranong. I am yet to find many documents regarding the logo (it's designer etc) however looking through trove it pinpoints the date of the logo and the start date of ACTION. If I find any documents in my search at the retirees club I will let you know.

MJ

Thanks to you both. This is a great start. It's really interesting to know the wheel symbol and colour way came first and the Action name and wordmark was added later. Most definitely, these identity elements were done by a professional, even if in-house at the Dept of the Capital Territory. Would be great to learn more. Sir Pompously, you mentioned 'trove'. Could you tell me what that is? Thanks

Barry Drive

(I know I wasn't the one asked, but anyway)

Trove is the National Library's online collection of digitised newspapers and magazines.

Search for Trove or access nla.gov.au