Bus Stop Modifications

Started by Bus 400, August 22, 2010, 06:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Checking the contract register: found a new contract for "Upgrade of Bus Stops 2596 & 2598 Kingston [Shops] and Minor Works at Stop 4567". (4567 is Northbourne Av near Morphett St)

triumph

Under the new network many bus stations have been renamed or existing names adjusted. Comparing the names from old and new bus books:-

City Bus Station became City Interchange;
Belconnen Community Bus Station became Belconnen Interchange;
Westfield (Belconnen) Bus Station became Westfield Belconnen;
Cohen St (Belconnen) Bus Station became Cohen St Interchange;
Woden Bus Station became Woden Interchange;
Tuggeranong Bus Station became Tuggeranong Interchange;
Gungahlin Town  Centre became Gungahlin Place;
Continuing unchanged is Dickson Interchange.

Interesting, as has been mentioned, there are inconsistencies in the application of 'Interchange' in the naming. Notably at Gungahlin where, though the name applies to both bus and light rail, 'Interchange' is omitted; two interchanges at Belconnen; and the City light rail terminus not indicated as an 'Interchange'.

(A recent post used an old name, so I thought it might be useful to list all the names in one place.)

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on May 02, 2019, 09:17:09 PMUnder the new network many bus stations have been renamed or existing names adjusted. Comparing the names from old and new bus books:-

Interesting, as has been mentioned, there are inconsistencies in the application of 'Interchange' in the naming. Notably at Gungahlin where, though the name applies to both bus and light rail, 'Interchange' is omitted; two interchanges at Belconnen; and the City light rail terminus not indicated as an 'Interchange'.

(A recent post used an old name, so I thought it might be useful to list all the names in one place.)

And Barton remains a "Bus Station."

triumph

Quote from: King of Buses on May 02, 2019, 09:30:24 PMAnd Barton remains a "Bus Station."

I had confined my post to the locations diagrammed in the Time Table books.

It is more than Barton, there other 'bus stations' and 'interchanges' including (not a comprehensive search):
- Eastern Valley Way Bus Station;
- Kippax Interchange;
- Cooleman Court Interchange;
- Erindale Interchange.

There are inconsistencies between on-line indexing, on-line detail, printable on-line version, and the books. Erindale is either a centre or interchange depending where you look; Eastern Valley Way Bus Station seems only to appear as an outbound departure point for some  Belconnen local services (eg 42) in the on-line detail with Belconnen Interchange being the outbound departure point in other sources. Emu Bank Bus Station seems to have disappeared.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well the on-board announcement still says Emu Bank Bus Station.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 04, 2019, 10:41:29 PMWell the on-board announcement still says Emu Bank Bus Station.

Yet another source of inconsistencies.

Transport Canberra in its major overhaul of the network (and the 3 month postponement of the new network) had a golden opportunity to fix up inconsistencies and some longstanding problems (like the panels sometimes not showing the current service approaching, indicating incorrect platforms, etc) but appear to have muffed it.

Busnerd

At the end of the day the naming of a location as an interchange, bus station etc. is meaningless to the general public who won't look past the first word/name of the place, unless they're asking/telling someone where they're going and confirming such as, "dose this bus go to the city"...."where in the city"...."the interchange"...."yes" I do agree it is annoying and should be consistent, whilst I was never for the change to bus station, they should have made all the bus ONLY stations 'Bus Stations' and should've made City and Gungahlin Interchanges and called the Light Rail Stops the same name, such as they have correctly done at Dickson.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 04, 2019, 10:41:29 PMWell the on-board announcement still says Emu Bank Bus Station.
This seems to be the only reference, but I verified it today by travelling to it on a terminating service and the driver confirmed it is still a valid destination.

Barry Drive

From today, Stop #5520 (Eastern Valley Way "Bus Station") has been moved to before Cameron Avenue due to building works.

This means that all services which commenced from there will now do so from Platform 5 of Belconnen Interchange (aka Belconnen Community Bus Stn).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh so the timetables are actually accurate now huh?

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 05, 2019, 10:59:19 AMFrom today, Stop #5520 (Eastern Valley Way "Bus Station") has been moved to before Cameron Avenue due to building works.

This means that all services which commenced from there will now do so from Platform 5 of Belconnen Interchange (aka Belconnen Community Bus Stn).

At this stop Monday morning. Several signs had been posted but were incorrectly worded. The wording suited posting at the temporary stop not at the stop being temporarily closed.

Effectively, the signs told the public that the stop replaced stop 5520 (ie the stop replaced itself) and advised about commencing services departing from the Belconnen Interchange. There was no guidance to the temporary stop, so the impression likely to be received would be that work was being done at the stop, so some services had been moved to the Interchange; or,  if the stop number was not noticed on the blade, that the stop was standing in for another stop elsewhere.

Today, on an R3 I noticed a person was allowed to board and was 'chipped' by the driver to use the temporary stop next time. If the signs are still the same (which I haven't had an opportunity to check) then it is valid, based on the advice in the signs, to expect R and other passing services to stop.

Northside

Ive noticed 2 new pairs of bus stops are in the process of being added to route 66 to plug some of the large distances between stops. Looks like they will be ready for the Jan timetable update. Stops are located at:

- Annabelle View, near the corner of Ken Tribe St (I think), Coombs
- Coaldrake Ave near Kondelea WY, Denman Prospect

Bus967

Quote from: triumph on May 02, 2019, 09:17:09 PMUnder the new network many bus stations have been renamed or existing names adjusted. Comparing the names from old and new bus books:-

Personally in my opinion I feel like they should've left most of them as bus stations, and Erindale as Erindale Centre and Tuggeranong as Tuggeranong bus station as a few examples, But what I think they really should've renamed,is But what I think they really should've renamed is City bus station/city interchange, aa City bus station/city interchange as "City Transit Center" or "Civic Transit Center" As You have nearly almost all forms of transport excluding the train but you have connections to everywhere from Gungahlin to Eden, from Melbourne to Sydney So it would make more sense for the city bus station to be known as the city transit Centre in has multiple forms of transport and transport agencies are within a 500 meter range of platforms one and two/T1 & T2 And plus they should've renamed the platforms for the tram as platform one and two in the same fashion as Gungahlin where tram and bus platforms are part of the same Station area (Gungahlin station)

Busnerd

I still live in hope that they will decide to build a new bus interchange underground in the city with escalators up to the light rail stop and Jolimont centre, leaving Brisbane style underground busways for TC/CDC Routes and platforms, this would allow Northbourne to flow continuously with passengers forced to cross underneath the road and allowing the whole current interchange to be converted to pedestrian space and hence re-activating the city. 

But it's Canberra and everyone is against building anything underground or having tunnels so it won't ever happen.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Imagine how long it would take too, the whole area would have to be shut down for a decade xD