Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

IGA, along with Woolworths and Westfarmers should be forced to step aside, in the name of healthy competition by the Government. The real independants, namely Foodworks and Supabarn should be given a 'fair go'.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on July 07, 2010, 12:53:41 AM
IGA, along with Woolworths and Westfarmers should be forced to step aside, in the name of healthy competition by the Government. The real independants, namely Foodworks and Supabarn should be given a 'fair go'.
Are you serious? Foodworks and IGA are both supplied by Metcash, they just have different ownership and contractual arrangements. I've never heard of a large Woolworths-sized Foodworks supermarket, whereas IGA have the SupaIGA brand.

Anyway, there should be no restrictions on who can bid for any supermarket sites IMO.

Buzz Killington

Supabarn are also supplied by Metcash.

Bus 400

I found a shop called the "The Lolly Shop" in the Snowy Mountains town of Nimmitabel today. It sells a huge array of lollies including Twizzlers, 3-4 different Hersey bars as well as different soft & hard lollies & other branded ones. It opened 18 months ago & has the Canberra bound coach stop from Bega & Bombala & is right next to the Nimmitabel Bakery.

I also spotted a different store out at Adaminaby, it is like a small Walmart.

Busnerd

Wow creative name!

Most IGA's sell those chocolates too..

CNG

Supa IGA east row is now IGA express east row

Bus 400

Coles in Woden Plaza are to be doing a massive refurbishment in 2011. I am unsure (at this stage) what the plan of attack is, but the manager expects to loose a fair bit of money in sales during the refurbishment & has plans to cut staff during this period*.

*Shift cuts a rumour at this stage.

Bus 400

Has anyone seen candy canes in any Canberra shop this year?

Buzz Killington

QuoteShoppers to benefit from greater ALDI presence

Released 10/01/2011

Supermarket retailer ALDI is set to increase its presence in Canberra after the ACT Government gave in-principle support to the direct sale of three sites to the discount chain.

Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said the entry of ALDI into group centres in Kaleen, Wanniassa and Chisholm would lead to more choice, convenience and value for money for Canberrans.

While the sale and details of the sites were subject to community consultation, Mr Stanhope said he expected the response from Canberrans to be positive.

"ALDI's entry to these group centres will introduce a second supermarket to the retail mix, helping to boost competition and influence lower prices," Mr Stanhope said.

"Our research shows that where an ALDI is co-located with a major supermarket, the prices of that supermarket are reduced significantly, sometimes by up to 25 per cent.

''This is great news for Canberrans looking for more choice, convenience and potentially cheaper grocery prices."

ALDI will be co-located with Canberra-based Supabarn in Wanniassa and Kaleen, and Coles in Chisholm bringing the total number of ALDI stores in Canberra to eleven.

The direct sale of land is consistent with the Government's supermarket competition policy which was released last year to promote greater competition and diversity in Canberra's supermarket sector.

Details of the community consultation will be announced shortly and advertised in the Community Noticeboard in Saturday's edition of the Canberra Times.

Interesting that the plan is to shove these Aldi's into existing centres in Wanniassa, Kaleen and Chisholm. Short of putting them in the carparks, I can't see where else they could fit into the Wanniassa and Kaleen group centres - from memory there is some room at the back of Chisholm Shops where Aldi could fit in. I suppose we'll find out more when the community consultation details are released.

particleman

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 20, 2010, 09:41:49 PM
Coles in Woden Plaza are to be doing a massive refurbishment in 2011. I am unsure (at this stage) what the plan of attack is, but the manager expects to loose a fair bit of money in sales during the refurbishment & has plans to cut staff during this period*.

*Shift cuts a rumour at this stage.
Didn't they just get renovated early 2007? That being said, I worked there from August that year until February 2008, and by August, the store was already falling apart.

The renovation (Renewal in Wesfarmers talk) will be like what has happened to the Queanbeyan and Belconnen stores, with the veggies on ice, and the separate fishmonger. Several interstate stores (Claremont WA comes to mind) even have a salad bar as part of their fresh produce department, with REAL salads (not the Mrs Crocket's crap that we sell in the deli) and even fruit/muesli/yoghurt.

As for shift cuts, some staff would also be temporarily sent to other stores, eg: when the Belconnen deli was being rebuilt, us in Gungahlin got a few of their team members for about 3 weeks. The same would probably happen to Woden staff.

In the mean time, we still can't get a working Bain Marie for the BBQ chickens.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: particleman on February 16, 2011, 03:21:49 PM
Several interstate stores (Claremont WA comes to mind) even have a salad bar as part of their fresh produce department, with REAL salads (not the Mrs Crocket's crap that we sell in the deli) and even fruit/muesli/yoghurt.

Encountered one such store in Sydney last year, excellent idea and I wish they had it here.

In other news, I noticed on the RiotACT that Supabarn Warehouse at Majura is now wholesale only again after adding more regular supermarket lines.

particleman

Got an update from a Coles insider: Renewal for most stores will start within the next six months.

But: Who else is looking forward to Costco?

lukeo25

Buzz Killington

Interesting news today that the unfortunately named 'KKK Consortium' made up owners of Supabarn and IGA Supermarkets made an $110m bid to buy the Franklins chain of supermarkets in an attempt to compete against (IGA Supplier) Metcash.

The news emerged at the court hearing of ACCC's attempts to block Metcash's $220m bid for the Franklins stores. If successful, Franklins may be sold off in batches.

Separate to the joint bid, the Koundouris Group (Supabarn) offered $32.7m for eight Franklins stores, and an unspecified sum for six more stores.

It also emerged that Franklins rejected a $110m bid from Supabarn in 2007, and Supabarn rejected a $80m half interest from Franklins at the same time.

More here: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/act-groups-secret-tilt-at-franklins/2136403.aspx

p_stampy

So there is a woolies at kippax, charny & now dunlop.....

Bus 400

Quote from: p_stampy on May 31, 2011, 11:52:05 AM
So there is a woolies at kippax, charny & now dunlop.....

So much for this competition in Canberra's supermarkets.....

Irisbus Rider

I was hoping the ACCC's findings which were released a few days ago would oppose this development, but this is not so. The ACCC has found that a competitor to Woolworths at this site would not 'add significant new competition', so on this basis, Woolworths was granted approval to go ahead. This decision was made on the basis that it would be of a smaller size, predominently acting as a 'convenience-based' local supermarket.
I personally don't see this as a justification, as this development concretes Woolworths' monopoly in the West Belconnen area - not necessarily a good thing for your local consumer.

I am, however, curious about the development of this 'mini-Woolworths' - as the floor space is comparable of a much smaller IGA/Foodworks type supermarket. Having never seen a Woolworths of this size, I'm wondering how they'll fit everything in.
I'm also pleased that a liquor section was approved as a part of this development, as it's within walking distance of my house........maybe not a good thing after all?  >:D

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 18, 2011, 12:40:18 PM
I personally don't see this as a justification, as this development concretes Woolworths' monopoly in the West Belconnen area - not necessarily a good thing for your local consumer.

I am, however, curious about the development of this 'mini-Woolworths' - as the floor space is comparable of a much smaller IGA/Foodworks type supermarket. Having never seen a Woolworths of this size, I'm wondering how they'll fit everything in.
Compare the prices at your average "local store" IGA/Foodworks against those at a Woolworths. I would argue that a mini-Woolworths with pricing the same as a regular-Woolworths IS a good thing for your local consumer.

Irisbus Rider

If a smaller supermarket were to obtain the site, they would do their utmost to attempt to poach consumers who would normally go to the surrounding Woolworths', which would result in mark-downs and specials. I do agree with you, that Woolworths, with their larger buying power has the abilities to purchase stock at a lower cost, but if a smaller supermarket played their cards right (the efforts of Spence IGA come to mind), they would have the ability to trump the larger markets.........encouraging competition, in most cases, acts as a shot in the arm for local markets.

As an aside, If the proposed extension of Ginninderra Dr to Macgregor West were to occur, this supermarket site would have the potential to reach more consumers, therefore a competitor would have the potential to add competition to the market.
But honestly, at this point in time, I would question the viability of this Woolworths in Dunlop.

smitho

Quote from: particleman on March 06, 2011, 11:32:14 PM
Got an update from a Coles insider: Renewal for most stores will start within the next six months.

But: Who else is looking forward to Costco?

Coles Curtin has had another major refresh and revamp, the second in the past 8 years or so. A lot more yuppie type 'specialty' lines, new layout, including self-service lanes, each with three  check outs, aisle signage on green background rather than the usual red, good lighting, perhaps better staffing levels.

One helpful assistant approached me a few times when Ihe saw I coukln't find some of the things I wanted (processed bran, milk bottles & spearmint leaves_) he said he'd rerport these missing items to store manager to see if they could be stocked again. Was able to easilyt get spearmint leaves and bran @ Woolies in Weston, got milk bottles @ IGA Civic Interchange.

Busnerd

John, re: tiny woolworths, next time your up here you should visit, in order of smallness

1. Cronulla Woolworths
2. Pendle Hill Woolworths
3. Wynyard Woolworths

as these are all mini stores, the cronulla one being the cutest of the lot, about the size of your typical IGA. Has about 6 isles and all self serve/express registers

Busnerd

Sorry, need to clarify - when i say express registers, they are set up like express registers, there is about four in a row but they do include half length mini convayer belts :)

Irisbus Rider

Pendle Hill Woolworths? The Flmeings has been rebranded? :'(

I think I'll just wait to see the Dunlop Woolworths, then compare it against these other small Woolworths'

Bus 400

I think the Woolworths at Jindabyne is also a miniature Woolworths as it is in the Nugget Shopping Centre there isn't that much room there. I didn't actually go in, as I walked past it last July.

smitho

Woolies and Big W on Goodwood Rd, Cumberland Pk (SA) are to be demolished and replaced with totally new Woolies & Big W - current building dates from the late 1970s...looks tired and cramped.

Buzz Killington

In the interests of sharing the pain...

Sir Pompously

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on June 28, 2011, 07:40:34 PM
Well, there are movie shows......

Must be a spoof, surely??!   ....(probably sponsored by Woolies...).

Coles wouldn't seriously be into such awful advertising (particularly with that woman with the very flat "singing" voice)..

Kramden

I like your 'spoof/ Woolies-sponsored' angle Smitho.  Let's start a conspiracy theory!

However, I think the real strategy is to make the ad really cut through the clutter of so many other garden variety ads.  My take is: if they used a singer 'in tune' it would fail the cut-through test which is so important in contemporary advertising...particulary in traditional media, e.g. free to air TV.

One point of note with this campaign is the songwriter of the original  "Downtown" song of 1965, Tony Hatch.  He would have had to give his publishers the blessing to have the melody re-worded for the Coles spot.  In that, there would have also been negations as to what his fee in all of this would be.  You can bet it would not have been a 'down down' special price.  Tony, who once lived in Australia ('80s and '90s), has profited from his classic song several times before from advertisers around the world.  To my knowledge one of these was in the '80s when the song was used for Downtown Duty Free stores.  Are they still operating?

Anyway, moral of the story: write a big hit song with a memorable melody and hope to God that in later years some ad agency wants to licence it for a campaign.  Ah...the wheels of commerce in motion.

As for the Curtin situation (mentioned further back in the thread) I watched with interest on WIN News the other night that residents had mobilised to block future development plans in their local shopping centre.  If history is on-side with the Curtin residents they made succeed.  I recall they managed to organise a 'stay of execution' for their local CBA branch which was threatened with closure some years back.

All power to the Curtin peeps.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on June 29, 2011, 02:57:38 AM
Must be a spoof, surely??!   ....(probably sponsored by Woolies...).

Coles wouldn't seriously be into such awful advertising (particularly with that woman with the very flat "singing" voice)..

Not a spoof, I saw it on TV the other night.

The trick is to get the ads stuck in people's heads. Irritating: yes, but it gives great brand recognition. Same deal with those moronic Hungry Jack's ads a while back with people standing frozen in front of the counter with their hands held up as if they were holding a burger in them.

smitho

Quote from: Kramden on June 29, 2011, 09:39:14 AM
  Tony, who once lived in Australia ('80s and '90s), has profited from his classic song several times before from advertisers around the world.  To my knowledge one of these was in the '80s when the song was used for Downtown Duty Free stores.  Are they still operating?

Anyway, moral of the story: write a big hit song with a memorable melody and hope to God that in later years some ad agency wants to licence it for a campaign.  Ah...the wheels of commerce in motion.

As for the Curtin situation (mentioned further back in the thread) I watched with interest on WIN News the other night that residents had mobilised to block future development plans in their local shopping centre.  If history is on-side with the Curtin residents they made succeed.  I recall they managed to organise a 'stay of execution' for their local CBA branch which was threatened with closure some years back.

All power to the Curtin peeps.

Thanks for background on "Downtown", Kramden - I'd always assumed it was a Tom Springfield composition....similar to his style. I seem to recall that Cilla (Mascara) Black was first to make it such a big hit. She'd be horrified on hearing the Coles advert.

Yes, Downtown Duty Free still operates - they have a branch in the Curtin Group Centre, west of the former Commonwealth Bank premises (now occupied by Blackshaw's real estate mob).

You're correct in saying that Curtin residents have been very effective in their lobbying efforts. I was involved in a campaign to (successfully) stop the massive over-development of the Hotel Statesman site, which would have gobbled up much of the adjoining car parking lots as well as overshadowing Holy Trinity Church and school. Some of my local friends were also very successful in having the 732 Curtin Express (now an Xpresso) retained after ACTION announced plans to axe it several years ago.

Kramden

No to Cilla Black...but close.  It's Petula Clark who gave us the original "Downtown"...in tune!  A pox on the Coles ad agency for ruining one of pop's all-time great melodies.

Busnerd

and now hungry jacks has moved on to copying mates meals with 'jack deals' with rabbitts as the mascot

Sir Pompously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzfxFTHsKg

Yes have seen the ads a few times with some creepy rabbits. I don't like them, they freak me out (Maaaaannnnn).

Bus 400

I'm pretty sure the below Fanta's can be found at IGA City Bus Station, but I am unsure of the rest.

Anyway, while on my excursion today I found a few different soft drinks at the new Supa IGA in Cooma (in the old Woolworths building on the Jindabyne end of town).

Fanta-Pineapple, Grape & Strawberry Flavours
Mountain Dew with Cherry
Coca Cola Cherry
A&W Vanilla Cream Soda & Root Beer.

Sir Pompously

East Row IGA also has Pibb Xtra, a Dr Pepper style drink from Coca-Cola.

particleman

Found out some info on the renovation of The G in Gungahlin: Coles is going to extend all the way to Gungahlin Place, and a First Choice Liquor is going to be opened by the end of the year. Sadly the rumoured Kmart/Target is not true, though a Kmart Tyre and Auto will be built in the centre.

Coles has become more confusing for now - one of the entrances is now only an exit, as four temporary registers have been placed there. However, once Coles is finished, rumour has it (according to our Customer Service Manager) that there will be THIRTY registers once renewal is done (and 8 self-servers). It will be done by this time next year.

Now, has anyone here been to Costco? What's your opinion? Do they sell imported junk food?

lukeo25

Check the USA and other imports thread, I posted a little report on what is to be found there

particleman

Quote from: lukeo25 on July 24, 2011, 06:50:23 PM
Check the USA and other imports thread, I posted a little report on what is to be found there
Of course, I found the post after I posted it!!   :doh: Mum did bring a big-arsed bag of Kirkland Signature corn chips from there though.

Buzz Killington

Coles and Woolies at Tuggeranong both doing some renovations and refits at the moment.

Sir Pompously

Ohhhhh, finally! That woolies at Tuggeranong had to be the oldest styled woolworths in Australia (Along with Kogarah). Coles hasn't changed since they merged Super K (Except for Liquor Land) so it is about damn time. Chisholm has had two refurbishments, the latest has seen self service so it is about time tuggers caught up.

Buzz Killington

So far it appears Woolies have lowered their lighting in some aisles and replaced old shelving. They're currently refurbing their fresh departments.

Didn't have a great look around Coles but they've rearranged the aisles, installed the new lower white shelving, they have new checkouts and from memory the majority of the back end was boarded up.

In other news, Supabarn Warehouse have removed their external signage (without a great impact, given the glue clearly spells everything out).

smitho

Self Serve @ Supabarn, Civic is very popular these days; seems to have far fewer hiccups than those at Coles Curtin and Woolies, Cooleman Court.

Bus 400

Woolworth's Woden has had a bit of an upgrade recently, most noticeable is the new self serve registers. But less noticeable to the general public is the new island shelf displays in fresh produce, including new bag dispensers for fresh produce. Being the pilot store for Woolworth's Australia, expect this new style fresh produce set up everywhere (eventually).

p_stampy

Woolies @ kippax is being upgraded in a way (or perhaps moving shit around so i cant find anything anymore). Also changing the colour of the hanging isle signs etc.

smitho

Against my better judgement, shopped @ Woolies Cooleman Court today; despite newish branding, aisle layouts etc, it remains a pretty ordinary affair. It's stuffed...ie too much stuff for the fairly small area the store occupies. Southlands Woolies is much better.

Predict it will be expanded into the adjoining carpark once North Weston and south western Molonglo suburbs start generating crowds for Weston and Curtin Group Centres...not too far off now.

Bus 400

I have received word that Woolworth's will open at Amaroo & Bonner. The Amaroo store will be located behind the independent service station (how long until it changes to a Woolworth's Caltex?). The Bonner store is to be located at the Bonner shops site which is on Mabo Boulevard, near the William Cooper Avenue roundabout.

These should open sometime next year. But also so much for the Government trying to help independent supermarkets, with 2 Woolworth's 5 minutes from each other in Gungahlin & the same thing in West Belconnen.

There is no word on Woolworth's Giralang, but don't expect anything as word is the Giralang site is too political.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

The Bonner one was old news, but the Amaroo one is a surprise given that:

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 06, 2010, 06:41:09 PM
- A site in Kingston to Supabarn
- A site in Dickson that can be won by all majors except Woolworths, which already have a supermarket at Dickson.
- Sites in Casey for both Supabarn and Aldi
- A site in Amaroo for a large-format store, with Woolworths and Coles excluded from participating.
- Woolworths have secured a site in Bonner

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on August 11, 2011, 09:52:08 AM
Ohhhhh, finally! That woolies at Tuggeranong had to be the oldest styled woolworths in Australia (Along with Kogarah). Coles hasn't changed since they merged Super K (Except for Liquor Land) so it is about damn time. Chisholm has had two refurbishments, the latest has seen self service so it is about time tuggers caught up.
You should see some of the down market, dated Woolies in Adelaide. Case in point is the combined Woolies-Big W complex on Goodwood Rd, Cumberland Pk. Some of the Coles New World supermarts in Adelaide are not much better, especially if they're former Bi-Lo supermarts.