Mobil rebranding to 7 Eleven

Started by Sir Pompously, September 22, 2010, 03:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Spoke to the good folks at Mobil Erindale today who stated they will become a 7/11 as of next week. Was unsure of who would buy out the stations in the ACT, so 7/11 are breaking into our fuel market. Fyshwick near the Monaro Highway overpass is already a BP, and the QUIX Mobil on Canberra Avenue I am unsure when that will change over. Does anyone know of any others in the ACT?

Buzz Killington

This was announced back in May.

Off the top of my head, there are Mobil stations in the City (Cooyong St) and at Mawson (Mawson Pl). None others I can think of, although there could be some in Belconnen.

I think there was/is one at Farrer too.

Sir Pompously

Yes, but what you must remember is that 7/11 decided not to hold onto their SA acquisition's, instead onselling it to Peregrine. So I have been waiting for some news on the ACT Stations, and now I have confirmation (No one seems to have picked it up as a news item in the ACT).

Forgot about Mawson, and even the City one.

Sir

lukeo25

Lets hope for the "famous" slushies will be sold at the stations

Sir Pompously

Being a 7/11, it will sell Slurpee's.

Buzz Killington

Awesome. I haven't had a Slurpee in years.

Barry Drive

Giralang. Kippax. Spence.

Sir Pompously

A Development Application has been created for the installation of 7/11 signage at Mobil City. No other applications have been started yet, and the application for the Braddon 7-Eleven including graphics for signage can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/your_say/comment/pubnote?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhcHBzLmFjdHBsYS5hY3QuZ292LmF1JTJGcHVibm90ZSUyRnB1Ym5vdGVEZXRhaWxfbmV3LmFzcCUzRkRBX25vJTNEMjAxMTE5NjU2JmFsbD0x

ajw373

For the past week or so Mobil/7Eleven Kippax has been closed so they can rebrand it into 7Eleven. Looks like they are doing a good job of it with a complete gut of of the shop and new signage all over. The canopy suits the 7Eleven colour scheme quite well, so well you would think the Mobil canopies were built specifically for 7Eleven.

Out of interest does anyone know of any other Canberra Mobil has rebranded, or is Kippax the first?

Buzz Killington

Kippax is first as far as I know - there were some development applications lodged for the new signage at the Braddon Mobil a while back but nothing had happened as of about two weeks ago when I last passed by that way.

Irisbus Rider

The Mobil/Quix on Canberra Avenue behind the Fyshwick Markets was fenced off, complete with 7Eleven signage last Tuesday....it may be open now, I haven't been past there recently.

Barry Drive

A development application has been submitted for Spence.

ajw373

There was an article in the Chronicle about Spence a few weeks back. The owner of the repair business was (rightly) up in arms as he has been evicted and the local shops were up in arms about the increased competition. By the looks of things the existing shop building will be demolished and the shop will take over the existing workshops. Though looking at the planning app there will still be a few bays left for workshop activities. I do wonder though when Spence became a company owned site. Previously it was private site with Esso and later Mobil branding. Will also be interesting to see what happens at Melba, which I believe is still a private site.

Oh drove along Canberra Avenue today and yep the Fyshwick site is still closed. They look to be at about the same stage as Kippax, ie almost ready to re-open.

Sir Pompously

There is also a DA up for Erindale, due to close in September, so I suppose we can expect it to start soon after the public consultation period is over!

ajw373

I see that 7-Eleven at Spence has yet again made the front page of the Chronicle. Reading it you would think the world is going to come to an end, when in reality all that is happening is the shop at the servo is getting a little bit bigger. I would wonder if the brand stayed as Mobil rather than 7-Eleven if the reaction would be the same?

Having said that it is a bit rough that the mechanics need to move on, I wonder if they have considered moving to the Shell at Charnwood. They have a perfectly good workshop area that has not been in use for a number of years, so would be perfect for them and not too far away from their current location.

Busnerd

Went past the Kippax 7/11 Tonight, sadly not open so I couldn't have a slurpee in Canberra for the first time of my life just yet! Maybe next time

ajw373

Went past this arvo and the shipping container is gone, shop looked stocked and there were people running around with bags of rubbish and cleaning up. I reckon it is probably ready to be reopened so wouldn't be surprised if it happened tomorrow.