Square Traffic Lights?

Started by Sir Pompously, November 08, 2009, 06:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/luxofor/

Well this company is proposing a design with Square LED Traffic lights. I reckon (especially in the newer suburbs) this style of light, with its silver surrounds and bright interface would work well on Canberran streets. The new silver street light poles, traffic light poles and bus stop shelters would blend in and give a more modern feel. Although not much of a traffic light gunzel, I do like to dabble in signage and street furniture. What does everybody else think? Being square it takes up more of the blank space left by circular lights, and they look as though they would be bright enough!

Irisbus Rider

It is, after all, 'Hip to be a Square'.

Looks very modern, not a bad idea at all. Not a fan of the countdown for the crossing, I can see itis practical, but IMO, it's not really necessary.

Thanks for the link Todd!

Sir Pompously

I have seen the countdown in Japan, and I know they have them in other countries. I don't see an overall need for one, however it is good to know how long you will wait for the next green man. What I would like to see, the green man actually moving his legs to show walking.

ajw373

Quote from: EuroRider Rider on November 08, 2009, 10:18:32 PM
It is, after all, 'Hip to be a Square'.

Looks very modern, not a bad idea at all. Not a fan of the countdown for the crossing, I can see itis practical, but IMO, it's not really necessary.

Thanks for the link Todd!

You need to get out a bit more! Maybe it isn't needed in Canberra, but sure the hell it is very useful in many large cities. Some even have them on the car lights too which is also very handy indeed.

ScaniaDriver

Sydney already has round stop signs which Mat doesn't obey and octagonal met road markers at St. Ives instead of hexagonal. What's this world coming to?? :bonk: