General Discussion 2016

Started by Bus 503, January 08, 2016, 06:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busfanatic101

Some of the special needs fleet have also got red noses.

107 was broken down at the lights turning right from Launceston to Melrose at about 8:25am
573 was broken down at the Albert Hall stop <10mins later (and I was on that bus and run yesterday, why do I always just miss out on the excitement?)
I also almost got to go on 490 today (not for the sake of it but it was operating the service I was going to board), but had the door closed on me :( If only I'd been a few mins earlier

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 28, 2016, 06:22:25 PM
Each question you asked has been answered on the ACTION Facebook page.

not my fault i dont have a facebook/twitter account...

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 03, 2016, 09:58:46 PM

You actually don't need an account to access Facebook or Twitter. I don't have a Facebook account but I access ACTION's page everyday just to read the complaints.

Since you asked the questions, here are the relevant links for you so you can find out more information.

Red noses: https://www.facebook.com/ACTIONBusesACT/posts/587765761401443

Scania L94UB Modesty Panels: https://www.facebook.com/ACTIONBusesACT/posts/573965926114760

Busnerd

Not sure why they're now taking those panels out, they only put them in (however many) years ago. They were not installed from delivery and they would have been added as a safety measure to stop people sitting in that row from flying forward in an accident, now anyone sitting there once again has nothing in front of them to stop them flying out of the seat during sudden braking.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well, that's exactly one of the thins I was continuously complaining to ACTION about for nearly 2 years a few years ago, about their useless email alert system.

Once upon a time, when I first used the email system, it was good, and provided you with what you wanted. I even remember when I first signed up, you were able to choose what stuff you wanted to be notified for and what not. When the site was re-designed, everyone had to re-subscribe to the email alerts, but this time, you couldn't choose what you wanted. Now they just do it them selves, and are too lazy to put in the things that are actually significant. - Like a bus strike, I would like to know if there's a bus strike on instead of going out, waiting at the 300 bus stop for nearly an hour before realising what's wrong, and info about the buses including the recent things I have been remarking on... things like that.

During my complaints period, I even requested that they could provide (just for me each week) some of the things they include on their twitter/FB feed, but no, typical of ACTION, the "bean counters" are too busy *cough* sure thing *cough*, and can't be stuffed at least providing a few text from their feeds every-so-often on 1 email alert.

Quote from: Busnerd on June 04, 2016, 04:39:20 PMadded as a safety measure to stop people sitting in that row from flying forward in an accident

it makes sense for them to be there, but they need to have more legroom (at least), which is one reason I hate sitting there on the E5s (esp inconvenient during peak-hour-sardine-tin-filled-300s).

Moving onto another topic...
I passed by Woden Depot earlier today, and noticed a PR3 poking out of the back between all the P2s, I couldn't quite see the number, but with the white removed sticker, it looked like 105, but I thought I saw 990 something, could someone confirm this for me please.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 03, 2016, 09:58:46 PM

I don't keep track of who has or hasn't got a Facebook account.

(Not sure who else's "fault" it could be, given the choice to have an account is a choice for each individual, but anyway..)

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busnerd on June 04, 2016, 04:39:20 PM
... now anyone sitting there once again has nothing in front of them to stop them flying out of the seat during sudden braking.
Agreed, but they've had complaints about lack of legroom behind the screens.

They are only being removed from the off side seats, for whatever reason.

Sir Pompously

Seats on the off side are closer to the longitudinal flip up seats from memory, so the little legroom there is was further reduced with the installation of the modesty panel.

Sylvan Loves Buses

King of Buses

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've had 3 occasions where I didn't know till it happened in the past (2 times with my mum)

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 23, 2016, 10:59:00 AM
I've had 3 occasions where I didn't know till it happened in the past (2 times with my mum)
Which is YOUR fault, not ACTION's. All driver meetings are advised in advance - with posters at the Bus Stations as a minimum. And in recent years via Facebook and Twitter. They would also be reported in the media. (Not sure what more you expect.)

Barry Drive

For those wondering how ACTION would be able to run charters to Bruce Stadium this Friday during PM peak, the answer has been revealed.

They won't. Brumbies buses will be operated by Deane's Buslines.

Snorzac

Buzz Killington

lol, that'll be interesting.

Barry Drive

Quote from: #Domelight Drew on July 19, 2016, 09:13:39 PM
*QCity Transit
What's written on the bus beneath the driver's window?

Busfanatic101

On Monday and Tuesday, noticed all on-board nxtbus screens showing prolonged periods of white between the stop/minutes sequence. Today, showing a few ads as well but still prolonged periods of white screen.

Yesterday, 151 was broken down AM peak resulting in the closure of the entire platform 10.

And just a little grumble, yesterday, one of my drivers had a stern word to another passenger as they went to get off about pressing the stop button no earlier than 100m from his stop so that he didn't have the stop light shining in his eyes. The people that got on at that stop clearly heard that, and did just that- of course, too close to the next stop and that stop was missed...

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 20, 2016, 05:30:32 PM
On Monday and Tuesday, noticed all on-board nxtbus screens showing prolonged periods of white between the stop/minutes sequence. Today, showing a few ads as well but still prolonged periods of white screen.

It's been that way for weeks - it is because of the lack of ads to show (presumably).

Yesterday, 151 was broken down AM peak resulting in the closure of the entire platform 10.

Typical. I believe it was about 0800.

And just a little grumble, yesterday, one of my drivers had a stern word to another passenger as they went to get off about pressing the stop button no earlier than 100m from his stop so that he didn't have the stop light shining in his eyes. The people that got on at that stop clearly heard that, and did just that- of course, too close to the next stop and that stop was missed...

Who cares that the light will shine in the drivers eyes; the sun does that already during daytime and they don't whinge about that (I don't think). Plus, every other driver has the same thing happen to them. The point of the stop button is to alert the driver to stop. Passengers are entitled to press that when their stop is the next stop. Otherwise, there is no point.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on July 20, 2016, 07:39:57 PM
It's been that way for weeks - it is because of the lack of ads to show (presumably).

they could just leave the nextbus route info up there and not have anything else if there is nothing else, that would be better than just a blank screen imo. Although, the other day i did see an ad saying something like "tired of seeing ads on this screen - check out the new app" or something - that made me laugh.

btw, should the darts still be running the 101 next week?

Snorzac

Why wouldn't the darts be running the 101 next week?

Bus 400

I'm pretty sure I saw them taking the wrap of one of the Darts & applying it to a new Scania. Looks a bit ugly with the green bit on the end though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: #Domelight Drew on July 22, 2016, 08:34:41 AM
Why wouldn't the darts be running the 101 next week?

Just need to be sure, so I can do one of my drawings without any hassles

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 22, 2016, 09:28:48 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw them taking the wrap of one of the Darts & applying it to a new Scania. Looks a bit ugly with the green bit on the end though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No way. Ewww.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Bus 503

Sylvan Loves Buses

ah ok, thanks

(I was on the gallery this morning and saw it featured on the former ACTION tab, so I had suspicions, but wanted to be sure)

Barry Drive

The Constitution Av roadworks are nearing completion (believe it or not)

Bus route changes will be announced soon.

https://twitter.com/ACTIONbuses/status/763940096156381184

Sylvan Loves Buses

oh thank god, it's about time ::)

vnguyen

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 13, 2016, 11:32:57 AM
The Constitution Av roadworks are nearing completion (believe it or not)

Bus route changes will be announced soon.

https://twitter.com/ACTIONbuses/status/763940096156381184

I hope they reopen the National Covention stop. That stop have been closed for ages. Also the CIT bus stops are getting new shelters replacing the bunkers.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd ever see this room in use again :popping:

on the other hand, if it weren't in use today, I would've said something like...
Quote from: SylvanWhile the asbestos work is going on at Woden's office, surely it would be logical if they used the old ticket sales room right?

Bus 400

While I haven't gone into it alot, as a part of Gov Hack thing, a group of students have created a website to show how bus services connect different groups of society.

https://2016.hackerspace.govhack.org/content/treetcred

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

New door hangers are available on the buses, a small one advertising TC and with bringing you improved network and dates for route changes

Busfanatic101

They have also done a drop of flyers to letterboxes, the same as the hanger except, of course, rectangular

Busfanatic101

There was "Tree lopping" going on on the median strip of lower Northbourne Avenue. Would this have anything to do with light rail?

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on August 23, 2016, 08:43:04 PM
There was "Tree lopping" going on on the median strip of lower Northbourne Avenue. Would this have anything to do with light rail?

Well the Light Rail line can't really go through trees, so I'd say it's linked - even though it may be some time until they work on that section for the actual line (I don't know the schedule of when what is happening). 

ajw373

The first trees specifically for light rail construction, vis the inner row are not meant to be cut until October 2016 (presumably to ensure they are still there come election time). The outer row before Mid 2017.

There were however a number of trees that were to have been cut down due to disease, but this was meant to be back in April/May not now.

So maybe it is these.

Any more info on how many trees you are talking and if they are in rows or seemingly 'random'?

Sylvan Loves Buses

How is the light rail track going to be fully designed though? cause I've ridden up those roads a couple of times before, and there's not always an island in the middle all the way to Gungahlin. ???

On another topic, I can really see that ACTION's really 'trying' to put the LEDs into the P2s, rode 968 on the way home today, should've seen the patch job they did to replace the old flipdot display in the drivers cockpit, lol what a mess ;D. (inserts pic here when I can get a shot in the day time)

also, i got my new TC card yesterday, and just as i thought, it's pretty boring, but i did want one, cause at least it's a change from that not as appealing blue/white/yellow card. i will mention though, it looks like the printing of the TC on the front side went a little wrong, cause the colours are not as bright as they're shown on all the advertising - which is a little disappointing. oh well, at least now i'll finially be able to keep a my way card for memorabilia. :D

Busfanatic101

Quote from: ajw373 on August 24, 2016, 12:28:04 AM
There were however a number of trees that were to have been cut down due to disease, but this was meant to be back in April/May not now.
So maybe it is these.
Any more info on how many trees you are talking and if they are in rows or seemingly 'random'?
I saw this as I went past on a bus in the morning so don't know- they were working on one at that time, don't know if they continued with others

EDIT: This morning, appears only one was cut (all but half the trunk), but the signage remains- they may be back in better weather?

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 24, 2016, 01:42:43 AM
How is the light rail track going to be fully designed though? cause I've ridden up those roads a couple of times before, and there's not always an island in the middle all the way to Gungahlin. ???

It's not an 'island', it's a median strip.

It should be no problem getting the Lightrail down Flemington Road. Designers and planners are very good at making solutions to these things.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on August 24, 2016, 09:26:03 PM
It's not an 'island', it's a median strip.
Yeh that.
Okie dokie, we'll see how it goes then.

Modern technology FTW lol

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well whatever had happened to 968, I caught it the other day, and it looked fine. - probably forgot to remove the masking tape when they finished the work before the bus was needed on that day

on another topic, is the date indicated on each section on the gallery the date when the particular section was updated/had photos added?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 03, 2016, 03:03:26 AM
on another topic, is the date indicated on each section on the gallery the date when the particular section was updated/had photos added?

By default the album will show the date it was created. From there, it will update to display the date of the most recent image.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Was there an accident on Tuggeranong Parkway last night by any chance? cause I was on the way home when a 160 passed on Athlon Drive, I first assumed he was just returning to the depot cause he had no one on board, but then he turned right onto Sulwood Drive at the roundabout. Anyone know anything about this?

Barry Drive

Was there an accident on Tuggeranong Parkway? Was it a day ending in "Y" ?

It was all over twitter.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Aha, that makes a lot of sense then (kinda disappointing I didn't get the 160 home then ^-^ - I often like a little exploration away from a normal bus service)

Bus 400

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 08, 2016, 11:35:38 AM
Was there an accident on Tuggeranong Parkway? Was it a day ending in "Y" ?
It's not that bad, normally just once in a month ending in the letter R.

Some bus that had been on a 26/726 ended up dead running along Sulwood Dr, as did a northbound 62. One poor bus driver didn't get the memo of the Tuggeranong Carpark & became stuck on the slipway from Hindmarsh.

Checking out the crash site for 5 seconds tonight, the barrier was wacked during the incident.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

I was heading north and the southbound lanes were backed up almost down to Cotter Road :/