Monash Map Mistake

Started by Sir Pompously, March 19, 2009, 03:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Have not seen this posted, but Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Clive Steel Cres.

Buzz Killington

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sir Pompously on March 19, 2009, 03:55:16 PM
Have not seen this posted, but Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Clive Steel Cres.

Life people!

Bus 400

I've been researching things here. When it was first built, Clive Steele Ave finished at Corlette Crescent. Then in the early 90's it was extended to Isabella Drive. This gave it a crescent classification which meant a name change. However ACTPLA have not be bothered to alter the other half of the street.

Sir Pompously

Yes, however the road is now all classed as Clive Steele Avenue, and not Crescent. Even then they spelt Steele incorrectly. Also in older maps it is all correctly labelled, Clive Steele Ave.

Bus 400

It is only technically Clive Steele Avenue. Legally (& what will appear on any legal documents) is Clive Steele Crescent. That was put in place by the Australian Federal Government back in 1965.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 19, 2009, 10:43:17 PM
I've been researching things here. When it was first built, Clive Steele Ave finished at Corlette Crescent. Then in the early 90's it was extended to Isabella Drive. This gave it a crescent classification which meant a name change. However ACTPLA have not be bothered to alter the other half of the street.
You are full of sh*t, you know that? Very rarely (and I mean very) does a street-type name change in the ACT. I know of a 'place' street changing to a 'street' street (Allsop Place in City), but there are others that could be changed and haven't been (such as Farrell Place and O'Hanlon Place).

In the case of Clive Steele it has always been an Avenue (and still is). All that happened was that Transit Graphics f*cked up when producing the map. It happens.

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 18, 2009, 08:57:17 PM
Does anyone know how ACTION Bus Services were different when the Federal Government ran ACTION?
Yes. Quite a lot of people do. Thanks for asking.

Buzz Killington

Im pretty sure Corlette Crescent was initially planned to go through to Erindale Drive. I'll have a look around and see what i can find out.

Bus 400

In my first post about Clive Steele Avenue ending at Corlette Street I was only buls*******, however my 1987 Street Directory actually does show that. But if you look at the intersection of Clive Steele Avenue & Corlette Street, there is bushland leading where Corlette Street would go & it ends where the current intersection of Clive Steele Avenue * Falconer Street is. I suspect that Charleston Street may of been extended to Corlette Crescent with a circuit where the current Clive Steele Avenue is.

Buzz Killington

From some old maps, Corlette was originally meant to meet up with a street into Monash that linked up with Judkins St at Oxley.

Also, Pine Island Road formed the section of what is now Athllon from Don Dustan Dr to Drakeford Drive, and the section of Anketell St from Bonython to Soward Way was called "Erindale Road"

Strangely, in these maps dated 1988 Gordon is labelled as "Barney's Hill"

Bus 400

With Pine Island Road also going from the current intersection of Outtrim Avenue & Duggan Street (Duggan didn;t exist) to where Tharwa Road no vear up the Theodore roundabout. Also Point Hut Road was a straight road from Tharwa Dr to Pont Hut Crossing (via old road at the bottom of the dam).

But you can see how Corlette Street was changed to become a circuit at the end, rather then connect with Judkins Street which would of made sense. I wonder why it was changed?

Buzz Killington

Who knows. It's a strange decision. Just like the decision to not extend Mentone View around to Templestowe Ave in Conder like the original plans say it was meant to.