Scania 14.5m Steer Tags

Started by Buzz Killington, November 26, 2009, 10:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

With the Custom Coaches website noting that delivery of these vehicles commencing next month, seemed like a good time to start a thread to collate all the information, rumours and whatnot.

We've previously learned that these vehicles have been allocated a series of fleet numbers commencing at Bus 500.

Snorzac

Do you by any chance mean 14.5m Scanias?

Buzz Killington

Whoops.. Can you tell I got up very early today!

Snorzac

Yeah, I am high on Coffee so that is what I will be like tomorrow because it will be a while before I sleep tonight.

Barry Drive

According to the December edition of Transit Australia, the first Scania 14.5 should be on the road by late January 2010. It reports that ACTION has ordered 24 Scania K 310UB Euro Vs - eight vehicles will be delivered per year over 3 years.

Looking at Scania's website though, the Euro V model may actually be K 320UB.

Snorzac

awesome, I have heard that the first few will be stored at Woden until the Tennis court at Tuggies is removed.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Lemon on December 02, 2009, 08:50:30 PM
awesome, I have heard that the first few will be stored at Woden until the Tennis court at Tuggies is removed.

what?!?!

Snorzac

there is a tennis court at tuggy depot and they are removing it so that they can increase the capacity of the depot.

Buzz Killington

I know there's a tennis court, I was expressing surprise that they would remove it.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Martin on December 02, 2009, 01:23:35 PM
According to the December edition of Transit Australia, the first Scania 14.5 should be on the road by late January 2010. It reports that ACTION has ordered 24 Scania K 310UB Euro Vs - eight vehicles will be delivered per year over 3 years.

Looking at Scania's website though, the Euro V model may actually be K 320UB.
You're 100% correct there, here's a scan from 'ABCs Bus Directory 2009' re the Scania specs;
Please mind the crappy scanner, but I hope it clears things up a bit.

Also, shame to hear about the tennis courts at Tuggies.

smitho

First delivery may now be in February.

Busnerd

Thats stupid, how can they only deliver 8 buses to ACTION a year when CDC gets batches of like 30 14.5's in one go?

Irisbus Rider

Because Volgren get their shite together. Plus, I'm sure there is a dedicated production line just for CDC, as there is one for STA at CC.

But, you do have a point, it isn't the first time bus deliveries have been delayed. Perhaps it's time for ACTION to stray away from CC?

Busnerd

Well recently CDC has purchased quite a lot of CC scanias, again with next to no delay.

Irisbus Rider

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure, maybe ACTION isn't seen as a 'significant' client of CCs, very bad business management if that is the case. Mind you, this is all speculation.

On a sidenote, how many B7s will CDC be getting?

ajw373

Did you guys ever stop and think that ACTION are getting 8 a year simply because that is how many ACTION have asked to be delivered per year?

I doubt very much it has anything to do with chassis supply or body building limitations.

CNG

I was talking to a driver and he told me the delivery of the steertags had been delayed, due to a problem or issue relating to spare parts at the adelaide factory were the buses are being built and now the orders have been diverted to sydney factory. Custom Coaches not that reliable, hey. :'(

Snorzac

It has been sighted in Adelaide with the fleet number 464 not 500.
http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48308&start=50

We should see it and 406-408 soon. All have been sighted on the road in Adelaide recently

They've been posting about ACTION buses for days

Sir Pompously

Buzz Killington

Looks a bit odd, but I'm sure they'll be great to ride

Snorzac

Ed reports that Bus 464 has arrived at Tuggeranong depot.

Snorzac

It seems that 464 will make a trip up to Sydney for repairs. The steering wheel will not lock into place when adjusted.

Buzz Killington

Well, we're off to a good start then..  ::)

Barry Drive

The contract for the 26 Scanias is on the ACT Government contract website.

The contract has 13 for delivery in 2010, 9 in 2011 and 4 in 2012.

Also note that the body specifications has McConnell Urban seats (bench style) rather than Centra seats, with a capacity of 53 seated and 48 standing.

Irisbus Rider

That's a real shame we're not getting our last 4 14.5m buses until 2012, which seems like such a long way away at this stage. It would be much better to get the in a clump. Who knows, by 2012, they should have the CB80 body (which was supposed to become the standard body for all CC orders after 2010/2011 IIRC from the CC tour).

Bench seats? That would mean they'll be the first bench seats in a new ACTION since 982 was delivered in 1993?!

Snorzac

464 is off to Sydney on Monday and it will return on Friday. Apparently the seating arrangement is very different to what we are used to.

blackdragon

Quote from: King Long on January 31, 2010, 11:23:45 PM
It has been sighted in Adelaide with the fleet number 464 not 500.
http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48308&start=50

We should see it and 406-408 soon. All have been sighted on the road in Adelaide recently

They've been posting about ACTION buses for days

If you think about it, 464 is the perfect fleet number for the first 14.5m Scania..  the numbers add up to 14.

CNG

Buzz Killington

Well, somebody had a similar theory on why Redex was numbered 727 - because it runs from seven (am) to seven (pm)

Maybe we have a bit of a numbers geek at ACTION..

blackdragon

The image of the 14.5 in ACTION colours in the contract documents linked above is Bus 374, also adding to 14  ;)

Irisbus Rider

Seems like a co-incidence to have 464 add up to 14, as that is just the next number from 463, which should be the last diesel MAN.

Still, that's quite hilarious, the fleet number of the first 14.5m bus adds up to 14!

The Love Guru

464 arrived back in Canberra and was parked in Belconnen depot this evening. Had a good look over it, looks nice inside and very different from anything we have here before.

Barry Drive

The Urban seats are narrower than the Centra seats, so this makes the aisle at the rear of the bus wider which can result in more room for standing passengers.

I wonder whether it is at Belconnen Depot to have a bike rack fitted?   :)

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on February 28, 2010, 12:08:22 PM
....so this makes the aisle at the rear of the bus wider which can result in more room for standing passengers.

Could this be the same reason why it is "reported" to have 6 wheelchair spaces? As when those seats are flipped up many more people can stand.

Quote from: Martin on February 28, 2010, 12:08:22 PM
I wonder whether it is at Belconnen Depot to have a bike rack fitted?   :)

Couldn't you go by if a rear number plate is fitted?

Barry Drive

It has only 2 wheelchair spaces. But it has 6 'bays' of fold-up seats mounted sideways - all before the centre door.

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 28, 2010, 12:39:19 PM
Couldn't you go by if a rear number plate is fitted?
The bus is not yet registered so it has no number plates - front or back.

Bus 400

Going by the contract for these buses Bus 465 should be with ACTION by weeks end. With 1 more due in a fortnight & after March 2010, things will slow down a bit.

Also according to the contract there are 4 wheelchair spaces, 5 rear seats & 2 mother & child spaces. With the old ticketing machines in the new buses should stop around July 2010

Snorzac

Sounds about right. According to Martin's twitter 464 was in the body bay for repairs, 464 is yet to be allocated a depot as well.

Snorzac

CNG

what routes will 464 operate on, becase I want a ride

Sir Pompously

You will have to wait until it is out and about to see what routes it would be on. It is like any bus, it could be on anything. However wild guess would be School Services, Red Ex (Because of the screen) and the Intertown. Just be patient, and your statement implies selfishness when you ask like that.

Barry Drive

But if it has no bike rack, then it can't be used on Redex or Intertown as those routes are designated Bike n Ride routes.

Anyway, as can be seen in the photos, 464 now has a ticket machine so in theory it should be ready to go into service. But, if 390 is anything to go by, it could be months before it gets some proper use.

belcodriver

Quote from: Sir Pompously on March 10, 2010, 09:47:59 AM
You will have to wait until it is out and about to see what routes it would be on. It is like any bus, it could be on anything. However wild guess would be School Services, Red Ex (Because of the screen) and the Intertown. Just be patient, and your statement implies selfishness when you ask like that.

Rich kid = sense of entitlement.

Why don't you just get daddy to ring up his golf buddy Jon Stanhope and they'll have 464 come to your door and take you for a ride?

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on March 10, 2010, 10:09:51 AM
Anyway, as can be seen in the photos, 464 now has a ticket machine so in theory it should be ready to go into service. But, if 390 is anything to go by, it could be months before it gets some proper use.

Also since it was for the Joint Transport Industry Dinner 2010, I would say that ACTION would of wanted these 2 buses to be seen what they would look like when in general use.

CNG, there is one chance coming up towards the end of March for you to ride Bus 464 with fellow bus enthusiasts.

Bus 400

An interesting fact that I wasn't aware of is that this steer tag buses were first designed to get around the old, tight streets of Europe.

I wonder when the tech sheet will be available from the ACTION site.

Apparently these buses won't be assigned to shifts for a few more weeks, while more drivers are trained on them. With a few more due over the next little while.

Snorzac

What do you mean more drivers? No drivers have trained on it yet.

Bus 400

One driver is, how else could Bus 464 get to Civic Square? Also the trainers are drivers, so they need to be trained to train the other drivers.

smitho

Launched was on WIN News last night; Chief Minister was interviewed and said that the artics would be phased out over the next 3 years while the steer tags were phased in.

The Love Guru

Quote from: smitho on March 17, 2010, 01:23:22 PM
Launched was on WIN News last night; Chief Minister was interviewed and said that the artics would be phased out over the next 3 years while the steer tags were phased in.

That's a laugh. There is no way that the 14.5s even come close to replacing an artic. The total capacity of the bus is determined by tare weight being taken off the gross allowable weight and then a per pax allwonce.

Despite the claim they will hold 101 pax, there is no chance in hell of getting that many people onto it. Might work in asia where people are used to being squeezed and touching each other, it aint going to fly here. It is another half assed attempt by the stanhope govt to try and make out that they are wonderful for having these "cheap" buses. You pay for what you get, and in this case they have chose to replace artics that can genuinely hold 110 school kids with a bus that will be luck to get 85 on board.

I wish them the best luck with covering the artic school runs with these vehicles (also, route availability is going to be a major concern).

CNG

Like Redex with the man, they should only drive and use the steertags on the intertown run. As it is a busy and quite packed run and this bus would probably catter quite well for it. The artics should be keep't and dedicated to the school and expresso runs and the CNG's and irisbuses should be used on normal suburban runs aswell as the standards.