Virgin Blue to Announce their new name

Started by Snorzac, February 23, 2011, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Today is the big day, I will post all the news in this thread.

Snorzac

Wasn't what they made it out to be, they launched the new uniforms, the new buisness product, announced that they were replacing the fleet of 6 E170s with 20 ATR-72s and also that 'Phase Two' will be announced in the coming months (this should be the renaming/new livery)
http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20110223/pdf/41wyyh3mshtl5s.pdf

Snorzac

Wednesday is the day for sure:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-blue-set-to-relaunch-as-virgin-australia-next-wednesday

and a small leak on the V Australia website:

Image: Aaron Bradford

ajw373

Quote from: Metrobus on April 29, 2011, 11:45:13 PM
Wednesday is the day for sure:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-blue-set-to-relaunch-as-virgin-australia-next-wednesday

and a small leak on the V Australia website:

Image: Aaron Bradford

Oh so you read the Sydney airport message board, where the same snipped of information was mentioned some 12 hours before this post? Would have been easier to post a link rather than replicate the screen shot so you can claim as your own.

ajw373

Just pointing out that this exciting snipped of information was pulled from another website, but made to look like it was discovered by your buddy. When I went to school (and yes know most of these guys have just finished or are still there so they should know better), that was called plagiarism. It even looks like the jpeg was lifted from the other site too, and I am 100% certain that the two posters are not the same. So I shall use the word again plagiarism pure and simple

Buzz Killington

I don't see a problem. Metrobus did not claim the image to be his own and the second line of his post linked to the original article which contained the image.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 03, 2011, 07:25:10 PM
I don't see a problem. Metrobus did not claim the image to be his own and the second line of his post linked to the original article which contained the image.

Sure the newspaper article was linked, old news of course, but the snippet was his exciting revelation that there was "... a small leak on the V Australia website:" which was in fact an image that was 100% lifted from another website. Without providing the link (which is below BTW) that is 100000000000000000000% plagiarism no matter which way you look at it.

http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=59419&postcount=340

I could see the carry on if one of his pictures was posted on another website, this is NO different what so ever, even if the information is in the public domain. Simple message, sure post stuff like this but do it by posting a link to the original source, not claiming it as ones own revelation.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ajw373 on May 03, 2011, 08:00:27 PM
the snippet was his exciting revelation that there was "... a small leak on the V Australia website:" which was in fact an image that was 100% lifted from another website. Without providing the link

The news article that was linked to in that very same post also contains that image, and whilst that article does attribute the source it does not contain a link to the forum it originated on, so its a bit unfair to expect that somebody posting the information here should do so.

Additionally, if you right click on the image and check where it is linked from, you'll note that the image Metrobus linked to is stored on ausbt.com.au - the site that posted the news article that he linked to.

Unless one is a member of the forum you have linked to, they could easily assume - as I did - that the image had been supplied to the author of the article by the source that was noted in the article.

Snorzac

Many details on the re-brand as well as many pictures of the re-branded aircraft for Virgin Australia can be found here.

The two photos here are both from Airliners.net and are both taken by Sarmad Al-Khozaie.
VH-YFC
Boeing 737-81D VH-YFC Bondi Beach was the first to arrive in Sydney this morning after ferrying in from Christchurch. This aircraft was in service for approximently a  week before heading across the ditch for painting. This aircraft is also the first on the Aussie register to feature the Boeing 'Sky Interior'.

VH-XFB
Following YFC was the airlines second Airbus A330-200 VH-XFB Cable Beach which is delivered second hand from Emerites. It ferried in from Subang after painting and arrived just minutes after YFC with Mr Richard Branson on board I believe. This aircraft and it's sister ship VH-XFA will enter service in the coming weeks operating Sydney to Perth services.

I quite like the new livery however I will agree with what most people are saying in that it lacks colour. It also appears to suite the smaller 737 alot more than the A330.

and here is the commercial that will air on TV tonight, this was posted on the Virgin Australia Facebook page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CuemkrzFQ&feature=player_embedded

Sir

Those planes look really nice, mordern. Loved that seen in the commercial where there all flying with the smoke, makes me want to get on a plane... ^-^

Snorzac

The first picture of a Virgin Australia ATR-75-500 in France has surfaced:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7123192

The smaller the aircraft is the better the livery looks!

ajw373

The livery (in particular the red props) certainly looks a lot less bland on the ATR compared to the A330 and 737's. Will be interesting to ride in one when they arrive. Would imagine they are streets ahead of the Q400's that Qantas flies.

The Love Guru

I think you'll find the red props are actually just covers to avoid damage during construction of the aircraft. 99.9% certain that the props will be black.

Snorzac

Quote from: ajw373 on June 07, 2011, 06:23:17 PM
The livery (in particular the red props) certainly looks a lot less bland on the ATR compared to the A330 and 737's. Will be interesting to ride in one when they arrive. Would imagine they are streets ahead of the Q400's that Qantas flies.

Chris is right regarding the props.
The ATR is no where near as good as the Q400s. The Q400 is a lot faster and quieter than the ATRs and can also fly at higher altitudes. The ATR would however shit all over an earlier series Dash 8 in terms of performance and noise.

The only problem that I find with the Q400s is that the seats are a bit narrow, apart from that I love flying on them. 

Snorzac

More big Virgin news today is the signing of a major codeshare agreement with Singapore Airlines:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-singapore-airlines-completes-our-airline-alliance-strategy

I think in the very near future it is going to be announced that they will be joining Star Alliance.

ajw373

Quote from: Metrobus on June 07, 2011, 11:09:57 PM
Chris is right regarding the props.
The ATR is no where near as good as the Q400s. The Q400 is a lot faster and quieter than the ATRs and can also fly at higher altitudes. The ATR would however shit all over an earlier series Dash 8 in terms of performance and noise.

The only problem that I find with the Q400s is that the seats are a bit narrow, apart from that I love flying on them.

Indeed they are prop covers, pity the red looks good.

As for the ATR V's Q400 must say through my own personal experience as a customer I prefer the ATR. The cabin seems bigger, windows bigger, bins bigger and seats a bit bigger. Sure the ATR doesn't go as fast or as high, but to be honest on routes where a turbo prop should be run it makes stuff all difference. It is only on longer runs where the Q400 comes into it's own, and to be honest on those runs (such as CBR-BNE) I would prefer to be on a jet.

Snorzac

A lot of the problems you have mentioned have been fixed in the latest variation of the q400, Qantaslink currently have 1 with another 8 (?) to come.

I am not going to say too much about the ATR until I have had the chance to fly it but I will say that apart from the 767, the Q400 is my favorite aircraft to fly on and I am of the belief that it is virtually impossible to build a better turbo prop aircraft. Whether ATR can change that is another question...

ajw373

Quote from: Metrobus on June 08, 2011, 12:02:49 PM
A lot of the problems you have mentioned have been fixed in the latest variation of the q400, Qantaslink currently have 1 with another 8 (?) to come.

I am not going to say too much about the ATR until I have had the chance to fly it but I will say that apart from the 767, the Q400 is my favorite aircraft to fly on and I am of the belief that it is virtually impossible to build a better turbo prop aircraft. Whether ATR can change that is another question...

Think you will find they have ordered 7 of the next gen Q400's. Until I fly one I will hold my opinion on them. In the meantime though there are already 21 standard Q400's flying, all of which IMO are buckets of poop. Much preferred, actually should say very much liked the smaller Q300. The Q400 seems a little too big for my liking.

Snorzac

Virgin have possibly realised what the livery should have looked like with one of their 777s appearing like this at LAX...this looks awesome!
Photo Credit goes to an Unknown person on Airliners.net

ajw373

All their 777's look like that, so nothing new there. Whilst it is a nice livery could you imagine the cost to apply that to a full fleet? As it stands it appears on 5 or so a/c, that's all.

ajw373

Just relaised what the difference is with this a/c. Knowing this board surprised someone didn't pick me up straight away... But point still remains, the livery is the same as it always was and is far too complex and expensive to put on a fleet of 50+ a/c. Besides don't think it would work quite as well on small a/c like the 737 or the jungle jets, let alone the ATR's.

Busnerd