Retrofit Destination Displays

Started by p_stampy, December 21, 2010, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 20, 2010, 06:08:43 PM

lulz @ 312, new desto sounds interesting. LED rather than LCD though?
er yes...

I can't get any words right lately... i know what i mean.

*skips away giggling*

Barry Drive

I just saw 946 with the new desto. Appears to be orange LED. Way better than the flip dot - you can actually read it from a distance.

The Love Guru

If you get a chance to have a sticky can you see what brand it is? Looks different to the hanovers on the new buses (i know its a lot smaller, but the font and brightness of the sign appear to be different)

p_stampy

Quote from: MyWay on December 21, 2010, 04:33:29 PM
I just saw 946 with the new desto. Appears to be orange LED. Way better than the flip dot - you can actually read it from a distance.

Maybe that was the bus I saw... Yes orange display - and yes, much more readable.

Barry Drive

Have no doubt that it's a Hanover. It's using the same file as the other Hanovers. If you thought marquee scroll was bad before - you should see what it looks like on the smaller display. At least the route number is easy to read.

Busnerd

Finally! I guess they took a page out of the book of sydney operators using LED desto's in their renaults :) i now forget who has one but im sure someone does.

Sir Pompously

I think "Volia"/Transit First had them. And there is that other company...... Baxters? Did they have LED? Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.

Barry Drive

In keeping with its mythical status, here is a very poor photo of 946 taken from a mobile phone.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 06, 2011, 11:20:06 AM
Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.
The Perth Renaults have a larger desto box and they would be able to contain a full-sized desto display. Also I think that Perth use Mobitec LEDs, since most of their destos are Mobitec.

p_stampy

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 12:08:28 PM
In keeping with its mythical status, here is a very poor photo of 946 taken from a mobile phone.

wohoo! I'm glad I wasn't seeing things the other week!

It was even sitting there long enough for me to take a photo, but I just didn't do it.

400:D

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

Noes! I need a better picture to see how ridiculous it looks.

Bus 400

The below photo is of a TransPerth Mercedes 0305, this photo is courtesy of Perthbus (http://www.perthbus.info).

Sir Pompously

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 02:09:32 PM
The Perth Renaults have a larger desto box and they would be able to contain a full-sized desto display. Also I think that Perth use Mobitec LEDs, since most of their destos are Mobitec.

Could be. The font's looked like Hanover's to me, however they could very well be mobitecs! The perth box is taller, however it look's shorter in length.

p_stampy

Quote from: 400:D on January 06, 2011, 04:02:02 PM
Noes! I need a better picture to see how ridiculous it looks.

It's easier to read that the previous ones.

Quote from: p_stampy on January 07, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
It's easier to read that the previous ones.

It would have to be better than the current ones, I nearly miss the bus because they have to be so close for me to read.

lukeo25

Today i saw 946 twice but in going past me, i like the look of the desto but i think it would look better with a smaller font size for the route destination 

Bus 400

I spotted it for the first time this afternoon, it was coming the other way down the Tuggeranong Parkway & the desto display for "Not In Service 110"is quite clear with nice big bold letters.

p_stampy

SO I got all excited that i saw the bus and took a pic. What timing:

Sir Pompously

LOL. Yeah, LED Desto=Fail as it constantly flickers. You need a camera with a good shutter speed to ensure you can get the LED desto (close to) every time.

p_stampy

That was taken with my phone... be surprised it even worked at all ;)

I don't drag big cameras around with me. Partly because they're big, but partly because I'm shit at using them anyway :p

Buzz Killington

Saw it today, looks good. Unfortunately I was driving at 80 k's in one direction with it doing the same in the other, so photo wasn't possible.

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 14, 2011, 08:23:26 PM
Saw it today, looks good. Unfortunately I was driving at 80 k's in one direction with it doing the same in the other, so photo wasn't possible.

Poor excuse really...
>:D

Sir Pompously

Saw it laying over at Woden this afternoon on my way home from work. Looks quite nice, marquee scroll though.

Bus 400

I saw the new side number desto as well today, although 27 WODEN  was showing on the front the side desto was blank besides a few dots on the bottom line.

Barry Drive

Did it look like this:

When I saw it the side desto numbers were clearly showing, even though you can't see them in that photo.

Bus 400

It did look like that at around that location (I was just behind that white car). It may of been as I was at car height, looking up from a close up angle.

Snorzac

Yay, a picture of it! I finally spotted it today in the city Interchange, looks good.

Simes

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 06, 2011, 11:20:06 AM
I think "Volia"/Transit First had them. And there is that other company...... Baxters? Did they have LED? Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.

Baxters and Busabout had a group of Renaults come up here at about the same time and they all had mobitecs fitted to the front desto with wig wag lights either side, the Baxters ones went to Transit First and ultimately Veolia, one's since been withdrawn for parts, the Busabout ones have gone to Wee Waa
http://www.businterchange.com/busint/open.cgi?id=2716

It seems they're both all white now....

Snorzac

Managed to get a half decent shot of it a week or so ago....

Busnerd

Way to take it whilst the marquee portion was off the screen :P Dont know why they are using mixed case scrolling on those, yet they whinge old people can't read the desto's on scanias/iris's etc... what old granny could see that tiny Fraser on there? They should just be using capitals like the current renault desto's

Buzz Killington

Can't stand the marquee scroll one bit.

Funny that the Irisbuses and Darts are the most unreliable and hated buses in the ACTION Fleet, yet they have the best destination displays.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Busn00b on February 06, 2011, 07:10:41 PM
Way to take it whilst the marquee portion was off the screen :P Dont know why they are using mixed case scrolling on those, yet they whinge old people can't read the desto's on scanias/iris's etc... what old granny could see that tiny Fraser on there? They should just be using capitals like the current renault desto's
Actually, having it mixed makes it easier to read. Having it in upper case always makes it look as if it is mushed together. It is just they have decided to two line a desto which is too thin to have two lines. And they used the Marquee scroll and the font is crap.

I like the desto, it's easier to read than my teacher's handwriting and it isn't all patchy, plus I love the marquee scroll.

smitho

Saw 946 doing a southbound Route 80 in poor light conditions this afternoon. Desto details stood out really well.

Agree, combined upper and lower case desto presentation is far easier to read that all upper case. This is generally accepted among public transport operators all around the world (except Sydney!).

Snorzac

As reported on Twitter originally sighted by 'belcodriver', 126 is now fitted with an LED desto.

King of Buses

saw that today on wheeler cres.

Ed

QuoteIt is just they have decided to two line a desto which is too thin to have two lines. And they used the Marquee scroll and the font is crap.

That may be true, but it's still far easier to read than those illegible Alcatel destos (plus one doesn't have to worry about broken desto lights). 

Bus 400

Here is a photo of Bus 126 featuring its new desto:

Sadly the rear desto didn't show up.

Busnerd

Quote from: Metrobus on August 24, 2011, 12:47:58 AM
As reported on Twitter originally sighted by 'belcodriver', 126 is now fitted with an LED desto.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....Photos please

Busnerd

Sorry, didn't scroll down all the way :P

Barry Drive

Tuggeranong is at it again. Report from Ed via Metrobus is that 147 now has a Hanover LED.

Busnerd

Barry Drive

Courtesy of Ed.

(Photo loaded onto twitpic)

Bus 400

Those workshop guys love playing with toys, you see soft animals on 374 a while back, others have stuck to the roof, now 147 features one in the desto box.

smitho

There was a little plasic dinosaur mounted on the top front of my Scania recently...can't recall the number.

Buzz Killington

Well, word was that when they 'named' the Scanias it was to see if we picked up on it. Toys could be for the same reason!

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on September 11, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
There was a little plasic dinosaur mounted on the top front of my Scania recently...can't recall the number.
I think 330 has one. A 36# has one too.

ajw373

In town the other day I saw a PR100.2 that may well need a new desto soon. The one in it appeared to be only held in at the top, so when the bus stopped and then took off the whole screen swung backwards and forwards a few times. Cannot recall the fleet number, but think it was one of the early MKII's in the 870's (maybe 875).

Snorzac

I think most of the Alcatels are nearing the end of their life. The question is will they invest the money to replace them with LEDs.

It wouldn't surprise me if 948 is in line for a new board. Spotted it on a school run in Ainslie the other day. It was happily going along as SCHOOL BUS 613 but then suddenly scrolled to a very distorted VIA NARRABUNDAH 5 (with dots all over the place, I could only just make out what it said!) before going back to SCHOOL BUS 613  :pop:

Busnerd

Quote from: ajw373 on September 25, 2011, 08:40:57 AM
In town the other day I saw a PR100.2 that may well need a new desto soon. The one in it appeared to be only held in at the top, so when the bus stopped and then took off the whole screen swung backwards and forwards a few times. Cannot recall the fleet number, but think it was one of the early MKII's in the 870's (maybe 875).

I do recall there being a bus with a swinging desto a few years back, probably the same one, me and Irisbus Rider used to get a giggle out of seeing it nearly hit the glass every time the bus came to a stop but I couldn't remember which bus it was...

Kramden

Quote from: Metrobus on September 25, 2011, 09:08:09 AM
I think most of the Alcatels are nearing the end of their life. The question is will they invest the money to replace them with LEDs.

I hope they can find a few $$ to refit at least some of them.  As a commuter I often found the Alcatels in MkIIs often difficult to read at a distance, on a moving bus.

The refit of 946 is bright and clear.  I think it does a good job.

smitho

Quote from: 743 on September 25, 2011, 07:11:25 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if 948 is in line for a new board. Spotted it on a school run in Ainslie the other day. It was happily going along as SCHOOL BUS 613 but then suddenly scrolled to a very distorted VIA NARRABUNDAH 5 (with dots all over the place, I could only just make out what it said!) before going back to SCHOOL BUS 613  :pop:

Know what you mean - I've had a 900 series bus recently that was showing my No. 28 Weston-Woden service running 'via Calwell'....interesting!

Bus 400

Expect a few more to be replaced in the next year. I have been told the destination boards are being scrapped, with their parts being used on the other buses. As these older destination boards can no longer be bought.
So much like the situation with the old Wayfarer ticket machines.

Kramden

Quote from: Metrobus on September 25, 2011, 09:08:09 AM

Indeed.  And not a moment too soon.  I had 964 during the week for a route 59.  It showed Gungahlin via 'Forbes'.  Hmmm, pity for the folks waiting for my bus in the western NSW town of Forbes.  964 has a bike rack therefore, 'no donut' for Forbes.   ACTION are not allowed to put buses with racks on NSW roads.  LOL!

Bus 400

That was programmed into that desto file for all MkII Renault in Network 2010. Since it takes forever for every MkII Renault I think ACTION are going to leave it how it is until Network 2012 (or whenever new routes are finally introduced to Gungahlin).

Snorzac

The .3s do Forbes as well, just not on all the files.

smitho

Had 859 yesterday - digits on its desto must've been recycled from a very, very old bus - the white bits were badly stained and discoloured to the point where a punter commented that it was very hard to read them, even at short distance.

Kramden

I had a Belco Mk 1 a few weeks ago, can't remember which one it was.  Anyhow, the side centre digit was so grubby and not quite visible so I wiped it over with a damp paper towel on the required number and that brought it up to at least re-able level for the route I was undertaking.

King of Buses

Snorzac

As discussed on the previous page...

Barry Drive

As CNG has mentioned, 917 has been fitted with a Hanover LED display.

Buzz Killington

127 has recently been fitted with a Hanover LED display.

King of Buses

Bus 400

Correct Merv319

Bus 400

Spotted Bus 128 entering City West with a newHanover LED display this afternoon.

Buzz Killington

Saw that on a school run yesterday morning.

Barry Drive

The Hanover destos will interface with the new RTPIS system - this may be why they are being fitted now.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 01, 2012, 03:02:21 PM
The Hanover destos will interface with the new RTPIS system - this may be why they are being fitted now.
That makes sense. I would presume that the screens found in some MAN vehicles will also be fitted, as they are all integrated with the Hanover display! And it will eventually make it much easier for ACTION to have one brand of destination display, programming will be made easier and a lot better for drivers to only have to use one type of controller (unless they change it)!

Buzz Killington

Zac reported earlier in the week that 886 now has an LED desto.

Buzz Killington

976 is the latest convert to LED

Snorzac

104 now with an LED desto...ex 130 maybe?

Buzz Killington

Spotted 883 with an LED desto on Monday

Snorzac

Buzz Killington

Not all of our users are Twitter users - we document items on both twitter and the website (also makes it easier for us to search items)

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on March 19, 2014, 09:42:57 PM
875 seems to have a non-operational desto.

Has been going into service (on concession) just with pieces of A4 paper stuck to the windscreen, displaying the relevant route number (printed off a PC, so it stands out OK in daylight).
875 received a Hanover LED in late April.

Barry Drive

And 926 has been upgraded: the first PR100.2 at Belconnen Depot with Hanover LED.

Snorzac

Spotted 919 with a new desto yesterday

King of Buses

Quote from: Captain Skybed on September 12, 2014, 11:18:44 AM
Spotted 919 with a new desto yesterday

919 was running around Tuggers Bus Stn a couple of times this morning with the new 'bus full' sign up (it was empty in reality). Then it was out on a 171 this arvo (as can be seen below)

Barry Drive

131 seen in service with Hanover LED.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on September 22, 2014, 06:20:48 PM
131 seen in service with Hanover LED.

I think that 131 has had its Hanover for around the same amount of time as 126, 127 and 129...

Barry Drive

If you think that, then you'd be wrong.

Can't give a definite date, but saw 131 with Southport flip dot about one month ago.

Snorzac

It would have been the Thursday of the first week of the network iirc  :P

King of Buses

Oops. Must've been thinking of 130...sorry about that. Does that mean all PR3a's (excluding prototype 113) have Hanovers?

King of Buses

908 now has a Hanover LED...and rainbow seat covers

Buzz Killington

King of Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 13, 2015, 08:24:27 PM
981 has been fitted.

You beat me to it...the driver of it this arvo was kind enough to tell me... ::)

King of Buses

It was reported on twitter that 151 has a Hanover LED. I don't have twitter but if I did I'd mention 151 didn't have one this morning...

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on February 19, 2015, 08:52:29 PM
It was reported on twitter that 151 has a Hanover LED. I don't have twitter but if I did I'd mention 151 didn't have one this morning...

Hence why we asked for sightings. Thanks for the confirmation.

King of Buses

The only T darts I didn't see (other than 147 which already has one) was 150 so maybe it could be that one...will keep an eye out. Probably just confusing 147 as a different one though...

Buzz Killington

Report has been updated - either 115 or 105.

King of Buses

Buzz Killington

King of Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 20, 2015, 08:08:19 PM
I'm told it's 115.

119 now has a Hanover LED. It was doing what 311 used to do though...
Not sure about 115 though...I haven't seen it around for ages...

Barry Drive

Yes - 115 is confirmed.

311 has a Mobitec, so don't know what you are referring to.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 24, 2015, 09:17:42 AM
311 has a Mobitec, so don't know what you are referring to.

Sorry, get it now. The sign on 119 was a squished up not in service in the corner like 311 used to do with everything...I know they are different types of destos but the thing it was doing was similar...

Barry Drive

912 has been done recently. (Saw it today.)

The Love Guru

961 could be next after seeing its alcatel unit today

King of Buses

114 has one now too. Saw it yesterday.

Bus 503

Saw a PR100.3 in the distance, usually doing the same route every day had an orange desto on the side. Bus 996?
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Skitube

you sure it's not buses like 102, 104, 114, 115, 126-131?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on March 23, 2015, 07:56:42 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
You are wrong. (You did ask.)

Definitely not 996, but no idea which one it would have been. Although you can rule out any in the 126-131 range.

It's quite possible another one has been fitted, but not to 996 - it still has flip-dot.

Buzz Killington

King of Buses

Busfanatic101

101 having issues with desto yesterday, frozen at "110 Watson" on a route 39. Some very confused passengers...

The Love Guru

Very confused driver by the sound of it incorrectly programming the desto

King of Buses

977 now has an LED desto. I wonder if they took it from recently withdrawn 875...

Bus 503

In the distance today, I saw a Renault that looked like the fleet numbers were 101???? That had a Hanover desto, can someone please confirm whether this bus has been retrofitted??

EDIT: Saw it today, has not been fitted... My bad..!

Bus 503

Bus 975 now has received the treatment.

King of Buses

King of Buses

The Love Guru

949 too, but i think it's been like that for a while.

Busfanatic101

937 has one too.

EDIT: I see it has been reported (reply #113), but it wasn't on the list: http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3944.msg38276#msg38276 Admin, please update

Barry Drive

Since you asked so politely. (Next time, just send me a private message first.)

King of Buses

971 now has a Hanover LED display - looks odd with the livery.

King of Buses

307's flipdot has been replaced by a white Hanover LED desto (e.g. Similar to many buses in Sydney - plus the QCity Endura fleet).

EDITED TO AVOID FURTHER CONFUSION

Busnerd

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 15, 2016, 04:42:31 PM
Although Sydney Buses mostly (only?) use Mobitec. Not knowing what Deane's uses - but white Hanovers are fairly uncommon at the moment.

All new deliveries at STA are coming with white LED desto's. Started with the delivery of the VST's

The Love Guru

White LEDs are much clearer and look better. However be nice if they could pick a standard sign and stick with it. They've always got to be changing things around and it just makes for headaches all round.

Barry Drive

In which case we'd still be using manual wind desto blinds!

The Love Guru

1994 desto roll
Alpha roll
Alcatel single line
Alcatel dual line .3s
Alcatel STC dual line in the .3As
Mobitec 7 segment
Mobitec full matrix
Mobitec LED
Hanover matrix
Hanover dual line LED
Hanover single line LED
Hanover white LED

Just a small amount of spares and knowledge needed

ajw373

And how many bus chassis over the same time and how many body types?

ust a small amount of spares and knowledge needed

The Love Guru

Quote from: ajw373 on February 17, 2016, 12:15:27 AM
And how many bus chassis over the same time and how many body types?

ust a small amount of spares and knowledge needed
My point exactly

Barry Drive

Veering slightly off topic for a moment: 113 was (originally?) fitted with a Hanover flip-dot. Possibly this was what was used when it was in Brisbane and when it was first used by ACTION.

A close look at this photo shows a different desto style.

Wiki will be updated to mention this at some point.

Skitube

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 15, 2016, 04:42:31 PM
Although Sydney Buses mostly (only?) use Mobitec. Not knowing what Deane's uses - but white Hanovers are fairly uncommon at the moment.

STA does have quite a few VST with Hanover white LED, think most of them reside in Willoughby

King of Buses

King of Buses

934 now features a Hanover.

EDIT: 979 does too.

2ND EDIT: 982 as well. :(

Barry Drive

Also 963 & 980.

And 957 as well.

They must have ordered a large box of them.

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Latest sightings / reports: 959 965 966 972 974 975

(Update: King of Buses has confirmed 972 & 975)

The Love Guru

Looks like the whole .2 T fleet is getting upgraded as well as a few B ones. Would make sense to do the whole lot.

Bus 503

King of Buses

All PR100.2s above 963 now have Hanover LED destos. Spotted 964 this morning (which was the last in that group I had to find).

Busfanatic101

Busfanatic101

And 948 this morning

EDIT: and probably 941 this arfternoon

938 also if it hasn't already been reported.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Yes to 941. I've also seen 945 & 947 recently.

Busfanatic101

It looks as though the flipdots are on the way out :(

Wouldn't it be nice if I could have one for my bedroom... What do they generally do with old stuff?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 18, 2016, 08:15:52 PM
Bin.
and probably 1 to RATEC.

I want one too :'(

I just wanted to ask, as I've noticed quite the few being replaced recently, is it to make all the fleet have better *cough, worse at night* displays  and all of them together with them? cause I originally thought they only replaced them when one broke or something. Has this changed or somethin'?

ajw373

Obviously something has changed.

King of Buses

Barry Drive

New sightings are getting harder to come by, but this week 932 936 942 952 and 955 have been seen with LEDs. (With 935 still as flip-dot.)

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 01, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
They must have ordered a large box of them.
Several boxes, actually. There is a contract for the purchase of 42 new Hanover displays (which Bus400 alerted me to) - for full delivery by 31 August.

Busfanatic101

As of yesterday:

939 has been done

Not done: 961, 903, 109, 933, 898, 928, 935, 924, *911, *954
*probable

As of thurs:
not done: 953, 118

ajw373

What a waste of money. These buses are now approaching 25 years of age and for the most part are peak hour buses. Would not have been hard to keep the existing signs going until retirement by using signs from decomisioned buses as spares or at the worst new one where and old one has really carked it. But to replace 42 on buses with a limited life left in the fleet, a waste.

King of Buses

Quote from: ajw373 on August 28, 2016, 09:46:34 AM
What a waste of money. These buses are now approaching 25 years of age and for the most part are peak hour buses. Would not have been hard to keep the existing signs going until retirement by using signs from decomisioned buses as spares or at the worst new one where and old one has really carked it. But to replace 42 on buses with a limited life left in the fleet, a waste.

Have you noticed how no further PR100.3's have been upgraded? Just a wild guess, but it perhaps shows the withdrawal agenda. I.e. The buses they're upgrading will be around a bit longer (bearing in mind the date of DDA compliance is 2022 IIRC).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: ajw373 on August 28, 2016, 09:46:34 AM

Yeah, I know right... and especially as how most of them didn't have anything wrong with them (imo), but that's typical ACTION for you.

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 28, 2016, 12:53:30 PM
Yeah, I know right... and especially as how most of them didn't have anything wrong with them (imo), but that's typical ACTION for you.

If the .2's last until 2022 they will be 30 years old!  And even if they do last that long still could have kept the signs going until then anyway.

Just because the Renaults will turn 30 doesn't mean they'll be any less serviceable. I know plenty of State Transit Mercedes O305s that are much older and they're still going strong, even though they've been sold off.

The Hanover units offer more flexibility than the old units. For instance, a 39 can depart the City showing WATSON, then *automatically* change to CITY for the return leg - no driver involvement, meaning they can just concentrate on driving and talking fares.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ajw373

Again even if they do get to 30 they are mostly peak hour buses. And the destos, agree the new ones are a vast improvement but doesn't change the fact the old ones have done the job fine for the past 20+ years and there are sufficent numbers of retiring buses to have a ready stock of replacements, or new ones for those that have failed. So a waste of money so late in their life. Money that could well be spent elsewhere within Action. 

King of Buses

Quote from: ajw373 on August 28, 2016, 05:11:02 PM
Again even if they do get to 30 they are mostly peak hour buses. And the destos, agree the new ones are a vast improvement but doesn't change the fact the old ones have done the job fine for the past 20+ years and there are sufficent numbers of retiring buses to have a ready stock of replacements, or new ones for those that have failed. So a waste of money so late in their life. Money that could well be spent elsewhere within Action.

If "a vast improvement", how is that a waste? Be careful not to contradict yourself.

As 743 said, there are plenty of benefits for not just passengers, but drivers too with the Hanover equipment. Namely how they interface with the NXTBUS system for automatic desto changeovers mid route/at the end of routes. It also means that they are one step closer to all buses in the fleet using the same desto equipment (only the unconverted PR100.2s, PR100.3s, Irisbuses and Darts* are "inferior")

* = There is literally no point upgrading these, though, given they live on the 101.

ajw373

There is no contradiction what so ever. Something can be technically brilliant but a waste of money.

To me the waste is replacing somone that has worked fine for the best part of 25 years that are essentially on their last legs in the fleet even if they do get to 30, which based on order history is unlikely anyway. Moreso that these are buses that are mostly only out to cater for peak demand and there is now no shortage of withdrawn buses to use as a source of spares to keep the existing ones running till the fleets eventual retirement.

From an enthusiasts point of view they add some interest but other than that only main benifit is on a handful of routes a driver doesn't have to press a button (presumably at a stop) to change a loop route desto to the inbound details. Not money well spent if that is the case.

Buzz Killington

I agree with ajw. Sure there are some benefits - easier to read (at night, anyway), links with NXTBUS, easier to update for network changes - but I doubt the benefits are worth the cost.

Bus 503

Buzz Killington

King of Buses

Barry Drive

By the looks of it, the PR100.2s are still in the process of being done at Belconnen Depot.

Recent changes in the last few weeks are: 958 962 & 961.

Also 120 & 121 at Tuggeranong Depot. Yet to see 117 or 118, but they might also have been done.

Barry Drive

Been a while between reports. It's possible that all Renaults (that are going to be done) have now been done.

Based on recent sightings, the only ones still with flip dot are:

894 898 921 922 923 924 935 999

Busfanatic101

For anyone who's missed it, 935 the last bus in active service with a flipdot now has an LED desto fitted

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, saw it yesterday.
rip flipdot technology.

King of Buses

Sylvan Loves Buses

Exactly - rip the power to edit in half of the posts in this forum

just pretend I wrote 'Renaults' after it.

Barry Drive

For those who haven't noticed, Bus 309 had Hanover LED installed recently. That now means all Irisbuses have been changed over from Mobitec.

The only flipdots left at Belconnen Depot are on the Darts.

triumph

There seems to be quite a range of different 'destination' signage used on buses not in service. 'Our CBR' is one I have only just noticed but probably been around for a while.

Busnerd

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on December 16, 2020, 11:05:10 PMIt is We Are CBR
Should have written it down, left in memory too long, sorry.

What I was hinting at, is whether the collection of the signage used on 'not in service' buses is a topic that might be added in some way to ACTBUS records?

Busnerd

Not likely. I believe there was a destination roll section at some point, possibly still is.

Buzz Killington

We do have a page that lists the destinations on the manual rolls, but no current list of the not in service codes.

We could potentially add one, but it would be pretty short. An alternative may be a gallery tag.