Retrofit Destination Displays

Started by p_stampy, December 21, 2010, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just because the Renaults will turn 30 doesn't mean they'll be any less serviceable. I know plenty of State Transit Mercedes O305s that are much older and they're still going strong, even though they've been sold off.

The Hanover units offer more flexibility than the old units. For instance, a 39 can depart the City showing WATSON, then *automatically* change to CITY for the return leg - no driver involvement, meaning they can just concentrate on driving and talking fares.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ajw373

Again even if they do get to 30 they are mostly peak hour buses. And the destos, agree the new ones are a vast improvement but doesn't change the fact the old ones have done the job fine for the past 20+ years and there are sufficent numbers of retiring buses to have a ready stock of replacements, or new ones for those that have failed. So a waste of money so late in their life. Money that could well be spent elsewhere within Action. 

King of Buses

Quote from: ajw373 on August 28, 2016, 05:11:02 PM
Again even if they do get to 30 they are mostly peak hour buses. And the destos, agree the new ones are a vast improvement but doesn't change the fact the old ones have done the job fine for the past 20+ years and there are sufficent numbers of retiring buses to have a ready stock of replacements, or new ones for those that have failed. So a waste of money so late in their life. Money that could well be spent elsewhere within Action.

If "a vast improvement", how is that a waste? Be careful not to contradict yourself.

As 743 said, there are plenty of benefits for not just passengers, but drivers too with the Hanover equipment. Namely how they interface with the NXTBUS system for automatic desto changeovers mid route/at the end of routes. It also means that they are one step closer to all buses in the fleet using the same desto equipment (only the unconverted PR100.2s, PR100.3s, Irisbuses and Darts* are "inferior")

* = There is literally no point upgrading these, though, given they live on the 101.

ajw373

There is no contradiction what so ever. Something can be technically brilliant but a waste of money.

To me the waste is replacing somone that has worked fine for the best part of 25 years that are essentially on their last legs in the fleet even if they do get to 30, which based on order history is unlikely anyway. Moreso that these are buses that are mostly only out to cater for peak demand and there is now no shortage of withdrawn buses to use as a source of spares to keep the existing ones running till the fleets eventual retirement.

From an enthusiasts point of view they add some interest but other than that only main benifit is on a handful of routes a driver doesn't have to press a button (presumably at a stop) to change a loop route desto to the inbound details. Not money well spent if that is the case.

Buzz Killington

I agree with ajw. Sure there are some benefits - easier to read (at night, anyway), links with NXTBUS, easier to update for network changes - but I doubt the benefits are worth the cost.

Bus 503

Buzz Killington

King of Buses

Barry Drive

By the looks of it, the PR100.2s are still in the process of being done at Belconnen Depot.

Recent changes in the last few weeks are: 958 962 & 961.

Also 120 & 121 at Tuggeranong Depot. Yet to see 117 or 118, but they might also have been done.

Barry Drive

Been a while between reports. It's possible that all Renaults (that are going to be done) have now been done.

Based on recent sightings, the only ones still with flip dot are:

894 898 921 922 923 924 935 999

Busfanatic101

For anyone who's missed it, 935 the last bus in active service with a flipdot now has an LED desto fitted

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, saw it yesterday.
rip flipdot technology.

King of Buses

Sylvan Loves Buses

Exactly - rip the power to edit in half of the posts in this forum

just pretend I wrote 'Renaults' after it.

Barry Drive

For those who haven't noticed, Bus 309 had Hanover LED installed recently. That now means all Irisbuses have been changed over from Mobitec.

The only flipdots left at Belconnen Depot are on the Darts.

triumph

There seems to be quite a range of different 'destination' signage used on buses not in service. 'Our CBR' is one I have only just noticed but probably been around for a while.

Busnerd

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on December 16, 2020, 11:05:10 PMIt is We Are CBR
Should have written it down, left in memory too long, sorry.

What I was hinting at, is whether the collection of the signage used on 'not in service' buses is a topic that might be added in some way to ACTBUS records?

Busnerd

Not likely. I believe there was a destination roll section at some point, possibly still is.

Buzz Killington

We do have a page that lists the destinations on the manual rolls, but no current list of the not in service codes.

We could potentially add one, but it would be pretty short. An alternative may be a gallery tag.