PR 100.3s...a bit of history

Started by Kramden, November 16, 2011, 06:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kramden

I was wondering why some of the PR 100.3s are heavier in the steering than others and I'd heard that several were originally gas equipped.  I sent my questions in a PM to Chris_Guru who came back with some well informed background.  For the interest of Forum members and with Chris's permission, here's his response.

990 and 991 were the only gas 100.3s. They were delivered to Australia as diesel chassis but then had their diesel engines modified for operation on natural gas. This is different to all the other gas buses we have as they all have dedicated and specially designed gas engines.

As for the steering, this is an interesting one. There were surplus 100.2 chassis left in Australia after all the ACTION and Perth orders were completed. ACTION took up an option to have these chassis brang up to a .3 standard as such. There are six of these in the fleet being 990 thru 995. They are basically a 100.2 underneath with a .3 dash and body fitted. 992-995 are non-intercooled versions. 990 & 991 have intercoolers from their gas days. 997 onwards also are intercooled and are true .3s.

Another thing to note is that 990 wasn't the first .3 to be delivered. I think it was 100 that came first and the .2 and a half batch (which is our name for the .2/.3 combos) came several months later on.

You will notice that the 2 and halves have .2 parking brakes, .2 valves on the bus stop brake that makes them slower to release, heavier steering, firmer suspension and in general better handling.

Hope this helps.

CNG

That explains why some of the earlier 990's series buses sound simmilar to the .2 renualts

Barry Drive

Not so sure about surplus chassis: from the ACT Public Transport History document (found on the ACTION website), 990-995 were prototype buses. 996 onwards are a Euro II spec with the intercooler and "an increase in the size of the brakes".

According to the document, 992-995 were delivered between 30/8/93 to 8/12/93 and 996 onwards are from 22/4/94. Based on the VIN and body numbers, the production order was 991, 994, 993, 992, 995, 990

The Love Guru

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 16, 2011, 10:30:52 AM
Not so sure about surplus chassis: from the ACT Public Transport History document (found on the ACTION website), 990-995 were prototype buses. 996 onwards are a Euro II spec with the intercooler and "an increase in the size of the brakes".

According to the document, 992-995 were delivered between 30/8/93 to 8/12/93 and 996 onwards are from 22/4/94. Based on the VIN and body numbers, the production order was 993, 991, 994, 992, 995, 990

Quite possible that they were 'prototypes' for the dash/body however i'm sure the chassis would have been surplus. I say this as the mechanicals are from the .2s and nothing is different apart from the ZF gearbox. Thanks for the inclusion of the larger brakes, forgot that one. I was sure that there was a strange delivery order too, as buses didn't appear on the roads in order.

Kramden

Quote from: Kramden on November 16, 2011, 06:06:05 AM

You will notice that the 2 and halves have .2 parking brakes, .2 valves on the bus stop brake that makes them slower to release, heavier steering, firmer suspension and in general better handling.

Yes, noted the all of that in 992 when I took it out this morning.  It runs quite well. The seat goes high - which I like - but seems a bit off-centre.  And of course there's the ever present clattering that goes with so many of the .3s.