Weekend bus routes - some suggestions

Started by Barry Drive, October 21, 2011, 11:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

There seems to be agreement that ACTION's weekend network is woeful. There is less agreement about what to do about it. In an ideal world there would enough money and drivers to run the same routes 7 days a week -- but that's not going to happen in the forseeable future.

So instead, it's time to look at some practical ways to improve ACTION's weekend network which don't cost any more money (or at least, not much more).

The following map shows some suggestions for how (mainly) Belconnen and Gungahlin routes can be modified to provide a better weekend service:

ACTION weekend suggestion (PDF)

These suggestions were developed by myself in conjunction with Chris_Guru and map drawing courtesy of 743.

These suggestions "streamline" the Belconnen Loops thus allowing West Macgregor to be serviced and Dunlop routes to be (slightly) more direct. The Gungahlin routes more closely resemble their weekday counterparts and also provide for direct Gungahlin to City services by extending the 951 and 952 routes (thus no need to transfer). The main cost saving comes from removing the 980 between Belconnen and City and then running the service to Fyshwick as a loop - eliminating the need to layover and turn around.

route56

If ACTION Network planners wanted to improve the weekend routes, they could start by doing away with weekend route numbers.

A simpleton would assume that 52 would b 952 on the weekend, but if he boarded that bus he would be taken on a completely different route to 52, no he should just know that the weekend route for 52 is 956.

Have the same route numbers 7 days a week.

Kramden

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 21, 2011, 11:56:21 PM

The following map shows some suggestions for how (mainly) Belconnen and Gungahlin routes can be modified to provide a better weekend service:

ACTION weekend suggestion (PDF)

Nice work there on the map lads.  You've obviously put some time and effort into this.  In general do you find the 'planners' open to well-informed suggestions from folk like yourselves or is it a case of: "Hmmm, thanks guys, we're doing just fine here in the office, now off you go". 

Irisbus Rider

Streamlining Mitchell services would be recommended (956/957).

For a weekend network, it looks pretty good. Quite intuitive to re-route the 951/952 to most of those North Gungahlin suburbs.

Here's hoping someone will sit up and take note of this proposal!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on October 22, 2011, 01:29:20 PM
Streamlining Mitchell services would be recommended (956/957).
Please explain? Are you suggesting a common route through Mitchell or removing services from Mitchell completely? (Or something else?) Remember that this is what runs through Mitchell now.

Irisbus Rider

Mitchell = Common route. A return to all buses travelling on Sandford/Hoskins through Mitchell would be the most sensible option, as it would be closer to the currently unserviced Gungahlin Cemetery, and it would cease buses from travelling down Brooke St (not the most accomodating street for heavy vehicles). However, this goes against the most recent changes in Mitchell (Network '08 re-route via Brooke/Lysaght - silly move IMO).

Yes, the current arrangements of the 956/958 are potentially confusing for both drivers and passengers. I've seen the occasional citybound 956 turn left into Lysaght St, then right into Brooke St as per the 56 on weekdays. The current Mitchell routing is just one example of many inconsistencies between the weekday and weekend network. Speaking of, would it be worth including in your proposal running the 939 the opposite way around the Watson loop to bring it in line with the weekday 39?

Kramden

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on October 25, 2011, 11:12:07 PM
...Speaking of, would it be worth including in your proposal running the 939 the opposite way around the Watson loop to bring it in line with the weekday 39?

Great idea.  I screwed it up on my first time up there on a weekend run.  Even though I had my lefts and rights at hand I instinctively turned right into Knox after the Watson shops.  FAIL!

Barry Drive

Yes, re-directing 939 is on the list, just not the map since it was a minor change. (I will also suggest the Federal Hwy, Zelling St variation for both 39 & 939 - but they've ignored it every other time I've suggested it.)

Kramden: OOPS! These days since I am more likely to do 939s than 39s, once I get to Watson Shops I always take a moment to think about what route I'm doing. Hopefully you will not repeat this error.

It has merit, but I won't be suggesting a common Mitchell route, since it would require the 56 & 58 to be changed as well. Using Sandford and Hoskins Sts only would also remove the right-hand turn from Lysaght into Hoskins and that bus stop which is positioned too close to the corner - but Brookes St does centralise the route and it's not too narrow provided vehicles obey the parking rules.

Bus 400

What would you guys think of replacing the 930/931 with the 933 that just ran via the old 33 route (including the War Memorial deviation). But then terminated at the ACT Hospice, to then do the same route back (similar to the 935)?

The times I've caught the 930/931 people only board either in Campbell/Reid or near the AWM. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 05, 2011, 08:39:47 PM
The times I've caught the 930/931 people only board either in Campbell/Reid or near the AWM. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats what has happened to me both times i've being on the 931.

Making the 900 follow the following route would increase speed between Tuggeranong and Woden...
Tuggeranong Bus Station
C - Pitman St
L - Athllon Dr
L - Soward Way
C - Erindale Dr
L - Ashley Dr
R - Comrie St
R - Sternberg Cres
L - Erindale Dr
L - Sulwood Dr
R - Athllon Dr
C - Callam St
L - Woden Bus Station
Continues to Belconnen via Blue Rapid.
I don't know where the stags are able to go but that eliminates the roundabouts which stops them. They might be able to be used.

Also a 950 between City and Belconnen would be helpful (as long as there are connections)
(50 to Gungahlin from City and then continues to Belconnnen via the most direct route as possible.

Kramden

Quote from: King of Buses on November 18, 2011, 11:38:31 AM

Making the 900 follow the following route would increase speed between Tuggeranong and Woden...
Tuggeranong Bus Station
C - Pitman St
L - Athllon Dr
L - Soward Way
C - Erindale Dr
L - Ashley Dr
R - Comrie St
R - Sternberg Cres
L - Erindale Dr
L - Sulwood Dr
R - Athllon Dr
C - Callam St
L - Woden Bus Station
I don't know where the stags are able to go but that eliminates the roundabouts which stops them. They might be able to be used.

Nice idea KOB and I can see where you're heading with it, i.e. elimanate the Langdon roundabouts.  They're a pain in the arse.  But there's something vital missing.

You say:
Left Ashley (from Erindale), then right Comrie.  Can't be done.  To get into Comrie from Ashley you first have to go left into McBryde then right into Comrie.  It's at that point there'd be issues with STAGs.  Turning from McBryde into Comrie, or worse, Comrie to McBryde is very tight even in a standard size bus.  Scanias especially need to go quite wide there due to their longer wheelbase   I also suspect there'd be tailswing issues for STAGs departing the 'angled' stops on Comrie, particularly northbound.

One other thing: rostering could prove a headache as not all drivers - myself included - are licenced to drive STAGs.

Barry Drive

Also a 950 between City and Belconnen would be helpful (as long as there are connections)
(50 to Gungahlin from City and then continues to Belconnnen via the most direct route as possible.
The suggested routes 951 & 952 provide a direct service City to Gungahlin Town Centre - therefore no need for connections. The Gungahlin to Belconnen Town Centre link is provided by 956 & 958 (although these are not as direct as they could be, the intent was to match the weekday services as much as possible).

BTW, another unmentioned suggestion is to modify the 932 so that it travels through Giralang the same as the route 30 - clockwise to City, anti-clockwise to Belconnen.

Sir Pompously

Thats what has happened to me both times i've being on the 931.

Tuggeranong Bus Station
C - Pitman St
L - Athllon Dr
L - Soward Way
C - Erindale Dr
L - Ashley Dr
R - Comrie St
R - Sternberg Cres
L - Erindale Dr
L - Sulwood Dr
R - Athllon Dr
C - Callam St
L - Woden Bus Station

Oh I totes agree with the 900. I see it as unfair that one suburb gets a 15 minute frequency running through it and the rest of us have to deal with a 1 hour frequency on the weekends. Make it run via Sulwood and Erindale, and elimate the rat run through Wanniassa.

Buzz Killington

Entirely too much sense is being made in this thread

Barry Drive

I would prefer that 900 not go through Erindale at all. Running them directly Woden to Tuggeranong, would save 5 minutes on Woden -> Tugg and 10 minutes on Tugg -> Woden. 4 services per hour in each direction means a full 60 minutes of running time saved which could be used to modify East Tuggeranong routes to provide an alternative Erindale - Woden conection (similar to route 11).

Next challenge is to work out how to do it.

Kramden

Agree that the inclusion of the Erindale Centre ,complete with the Wanniassa rat run, is 'a thorn in the 900 side'.   Not sure how you fix it without needing to substantially re-time a number of Tuggys routes.  I'm sure better bus minds than I will have the situ in hand.

Also agree with an earlier comment that the Wanniassa folk are much luckier than most others on the weekend, i.e. having a great frequency of buses running through their suburb.  If that is to be taken away, due to rejigging elsewhere, expect a stink from those patrons.

King of Buses

The 900 should just be the 300 and other routes ought to have better timing connections.

Also the 958 has to be sorted out. It is very long and I believe that maybe just operating the bit between Gungahlin and city and the rest be replaced by a loop service (similiar to 921/922 + other loops)

The 980 also should be identical to the 80 and a new route servicing north of City (maybe like the proposed 37 from Network 08)

The 932 should also be only Sth of City and following Route 2. The North half could be replaced by a weekend equivalent of the 71.

A weekend Red Rapid would also be nice (inbetween City and Gungahlin especially)

smitho

Yes, the 300s should be a 7 day a week operation like the former 333s.

smitho

Quote from: King of Buses on November 21, 2011, 12:32:48 PM

The 932 should also be only Sth of City and following Route 2.

Curtin, Deakin & Yarralumla users would object to this; Route 2 southside is often derided because of its very indirect routing and long journey time. Many punters would be very happy to see the southern part of Route 32 come back 7 days a week.