MAN Purchase and Deliveries

Started by Bus 400, January 10, 2009, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Because don't they program the desto's in the other buses through the Module? Where as in the new buses they send a cord from a laptop to the desto thing.

Barry Drive

Quote from: MaxiZac on September 23, 2009, 07:41:22 PM
The most likely reason is that Belconnen has never had a hanover bus before, and probably only had an old file in their computer system to put in it!
It does raise the question as to where and when the new buses get their desto programs loaded. Perhaps it is done at Custom Coaches and they don't have an updated file.

Chris_Guru reports that a new MAN was seen at Belconnen Depot today. No fleet numbers or bike rack.

Buzz Killington

According to 'buscrazy' at ATDB, two MANs are at Custom Coaches in Adelaide, and one of them is 394.

Bus 400

The Love Guru

MAN to become 393 appears to have arrived at B depot this evening.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 24, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
According to 'buscrazy' at ATDB, two MANs are at Custom Coaches in Adelaide, and one of them is 394.

If this information is true then it will be the first MAN delivered with fleet numbers already attached. So far all the units delivered have only had ACTION corporate logo's and that is it on them (apart from the air con crap on the roof).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Chris_Guru on September 24, 2009, 11:51:22 PM
MAN to become 393 appears to have arrived at B depot this evening.
Are you sure it's a new one and not 392? The body number is in a different format (ACTME 41), so it doesn't give any clues as to which one it is. I noticed that it already has a scrape on the side .

smitho

I've noticed an un-numbered MAN around the back of the northern shed on the past 2 or 3 mornings.

MAN 390 has been inside the north shed most mornings this week when I've gone past at around 0730.

The Love Guru

390, 391, 392 & 393 were all in the depot this morning and all visible together.

Quote from: Martin on September 25, 2009, 10:42:36 AM
Are you sure it's a new one and not 392? The body number is in a different format (ACTME 41), so it doesn't give any clues as to which one it is. I noticed that it already has a scrape on the side .

Goldstar

First up, I couldn't find an 'introduce yourself' section, so I had better do it here: I literally grew up on buses, my grandfather owned a rural company until I was about 14...why 'Goldstar'? Because, naturally, as a child I use to pretend I owned a company, Goldstar Coachlines... :)

With regard to the 14.5m Scanias, if they are (slated, I know) to start arriving from December, might not they (or at least one) be fitted out/in testing already? - I assume they are going to be CC or Volgren bodied, in which case, anybody seen one at the factories???

(btw, great forum you've all got going here)

Irisbus Rider

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, we look forward to you contributing to our forum.

As far as we know, the 14.5m will be Custom Coach bodied, and more than likely, built in the Adelaide CC plant.
There are a few people in Adelaide that regularly swing by the CC plant, so as soon as they know, we will.

Buzz Killington

Welcome Goldstar!

We did have testing with the 14.5's (in a way) when a Sydney MetroBus came down a few months back. There's some photos in the Multimedia section.

Goldstar

Drat, I'm at ANU nearly all the time, but didn't see it...I have a lecture theatre where I watch the 3 go past, even the normal 12.5s have to take the roundabout on Ward Road and Liversidge Street really gingerly, would have been a treat to watch that metrobus take that turn, assuming it was tracing the 3 route to see how it could handle it...

Irisbus Rider

Here's a photo as the Metrobus travels over Sullivans Ck - http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1582.0

And yeah, that's exactly right, there were seeing if a 14.5m bus could tackle the ANU streets, but I've heard conflicting reports of whether it passed or failed.

Bus 400

Is anyone able to give more info on this:

In the latest Transit Australia magazine (October Issue) it mentions about the new buses & how 2 of the 74 new MAN's will be fitted with Euro 4 engines & the rest with Euro 5 engines. Is there any specific reason behind this or not?

An interesting thing also in this magazine & bus deliveries is that Transperth placed an order for 848 buses back in 1999 & after 10 years only 90 are left to be delivered. I'm sure whoever had that order would be sad to see those 90 go, but Transperth Mercs are quite lovely buses.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 30, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
In the latest Transit Australia magazine (October Issue) it mentions about the new buses & how 2 of the 74 new MAN's will be fitted with Euro 4 engines & the rest with Euro 5 engines. Is there any specific reason behind this or not?
If true, then there would be a reason. Supply problems are most likely.

This could explain the unusual VIN and Body Number for 393 (ACT M E4 1) - it might actually be a Euro IV MAN 18.310 !

smitho

394 was parked outside at Belconnen Depot today - lacks most of the usual decals other than the bus number and ACTION logo.

Barry Drive

394's details have been added to the Wiki (except for body date - forgot to check that). Since 394's body number is ACTM003, that probably makes 392 and 393 the two Euro IV MAN 18.310s.

smitho

I noticed 394 parked in the same spot at Belco Depot again tonight - but with 395 parked next to it. Both buses still carry only their numbers and ACTION logos.

Snorzac

It seems that 390 is currently in Sydney for the Bus & Coach show.

Bus 400

Unless another ACT Bus member managed to get a photo of 390 at the bus show, a part of 390 can be spotted in photo 3 in this thread http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46252.

Snorzac

that picture is the only reason that I know its there, it really should be on the road though. Belconnen need to be able to start sending buses back to Tuggeranong who are really struggling at the moment. 335 went back to the depot today at 1610 and it was starting another run with a different driver running late at the Tuggeranong Interchange about 5 mins later, same deal with 371 as well today. Belco need to get these  MANs in service so they can get buses back to Tuggies (and Woden for that matter).

Looks like the detailing on 394 started today as well

Bus 400

Wasn't sure about picture as somone had mentioned earlier in the week. It'll be fun when Redex starts up

Buzz Killington

Maxizac confirmed that it was 390 there.

You can see a reflection of the fleet number in this thread: http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46267

The Love Guru

Have known for a couple of weeks now that 390 was to appear at the bus show (just forgot to mention it). It is scheduled to be in sydney for 7 days, not sure why the extra time was needed in Sydney before the bus show.

Barry Drive

Just did a rego search on some of the new MANs. 394 and 395 are still not registered (no surprise there); 393s search came back with model name 'A6918320' which, if it is a Euro IV, is incorrect because it should be A6918310. Looks like an email to ACTION is needed to resolve the question of whether 392 and 393 are 18.310 or 18.320.

Snorzac

390 got back from the bus show today at about 12pm, I believe that it went out on the road because at 2pm there was no sign of it in the depot anywhere.

Barry Drive

Don't know if it went out or not, but from at least 1645 onwards it was parked at the back of the workshops (closest to the staff carpark) with a front number plate and no bike rack. Also it has a '18.320' decal next to the front door. (I'll try to get a photo today.)

Sir Pompously

It sure does, the 18.320 badge is only on one side and was applied by MAN for the show. I have a photo I took at the bus show, I will post it here as soon as I am on my desktop.

Bus 400

Would the body already of been decided for all the MAN's? Or is their a very slight chance that ACTION might received a Custom Coaches CB80 (http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46242&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)? As the story is that some a being built for Perth at the moment & 463 isn't due until 2011ish.

Sir Pompously

Lockie

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM
Would the body already of been decided for all the MAN's? Or is their a very slight chance that ACTION might received a Custom Coaches CB80
I sure hope so. They seem to be ruining the aesthetics of their designs judging from those images.

Bus 400

Going by the info sheet on these buses CB60 EvoII is the set body type.

Snorzac

Just like the MAN 18.310s!!!!!

There is only one CB80  at this stage.

Bus 400

Having a look at an old thread (Tender for 100 new buses-http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=389.0#quickreply). Something from the Government actually cam early (note the date on the original post):

Quote from: Lemon on October 10, 2008, 01:41:10 PM
Just received an e-mail from ACTION regarding this tender, evaluations will be conducted towards the end of the month, this  is the e-mail I sent and they have put there answers below my questions.
5. Is there a possible time frame that we can expect the first of the
100 buses?
November 2009

The Love Guru

396 arrived this morning from Adelaide. With 7 buses now delivered, would be great to see them actually performing duties.

Snorzac

390 was operating a 710 this morning

Bus 400

Went on 390 on a 56 tonight. There are a few minor change compared with 374-389, besides the speakers next to each overhead light. The foot area in the seat just behind the door is a bit bigger, also there is a strip of black that has been put in on the inside at the top of the windows. The front half of the bus feels higher compared to Buses 374-389. The driver cabin is also slightly bigger & appear easier to access.

The engine is a lot bigger compared to Bus 374-389 & you can feel it has a bit more power. The RedEx desto isn't programmed into 390 (not even the original RedEx 1 & 2), so the program update must from February 2009.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM
Would the body already of been decided for all the MAN's? Or is their a very slight chance that ACTION might received a Custom Coaches CB80
Mass production of the CB80 won't begin until June/July next year, and if ACTION expresses interest in the CB80, there will be a high chance, we will receive it on some chassis.

Bus 400

I'll see how observant everyone is with 390. Are you able to see what temperature the air conditioning unit is set to in 390?

Busnerd

Yes the black strip along the window replaces the panels that the Gassies had, they would have had it though to help support the gas pod, but since its a diesel it just has the tinted black stuff instead.

The roof height is the same. Also to note is that one of the seats up the back on the offside has a little raised foot area but on the nearside opposite it does not have this. The drivers cab was very comfortable to sit in, and had lots of room. There was stickers on the coin tray saying what coins go where, plus the bike rack is more of a cheese yellow now.

Snorzac

Bus 400: You can see that on all the gas MANs as well. At a guess it would be set to 22 degrees. In regards to the black strip on the window I would say that 390 is the only one with those as it would have to do with all the writing above the window line.

MaxiZac, the engine has a tad more power 10hp to be exact, and I believe that the gas MANs also have the coin stickers on them.

Bus 400

I noticed that air con temp today, it was set to 22.5.

Things might change in the future, but I like the new 18.320's better then the 18.310's.

Irisbus Rider

Uh, actually, the Gas MANs have a completely different engine to the diesels, as per the ACTION spec sheets;
MAN Gas (Max Power): 228 Kw (260 HP) @ 2000rpm
             (Max Torque): 1250 Nm @ 1400rpm

MAN Diesel (Max Power): 250 Kw (320 HP) @ 2000rpm
                 (Max Torque): 1450 Nm @ 1200rpm

The Diesel powered MANs are much more powerful, due to a completely different engine.
So, technically, calling the Gas MANs 18.310s is false, they are rather 18.260s.
This was pointed out to me by 'Chris_Guru'.

Just looking at those values again, I think the Gas MANs would be better suited to a ZF gearbox (torque higher up), that would certainly be interesting!

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Lemon on October 12, 2009, 11:43:28 PM
Bus 400: You can see that on all the gas MANs as well. At a guess it would be set to 22 degrees. In regards to the black strip on the window I would say that 390 is the only one with those as it would have to do with all the writing above the window line.

The Black Strip just replaces the panel as found on the Gas MAN vehicles as Maxizac has stated.The writing on the outside does not actually touch the windows, so the black strip would not have anything to do with that.

Barry Drive

I don't think it's a "completely different" engine, just different performance from CNG vs Diesel (and perhaps modified to meet the Euro V spec).

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, that would be likely.

The reason I stated that is, again, due to what I read on the ACTION spec sheets;
MAN Gas (Engine model): E 2866 LUH 01/02 CNG EEV specification.
MAN Diesel (Engine model): D 2066 LUH 12 EURO5 specification.

It's times like these we need (minties lol) someone from ATDB that really knows engines (Powered by CBG comes to mind).

Snorzac

Bus 400

Also the engine layout would be different in 390 as the fuel tank is now next to the engine & not at the other end of the bus, as is the case with 389.