Drivers who got their licences from a cereal packet.

Started by belcodriver, December 30, 2008, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Who would have though, a Camry doing something stupid? I never would have seen that coming.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Metrobus on February 13, 2011, 07:59:44 PM
Who would have though, a Camry doing something stupid? I never would have seen that coming.
For the record, it's a Vienta. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on February 14, 2011, 01:25:16 AM
For the record, it's a Vienta. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.
Just like a Lexus is different to a Toyota eh John?

They are all the same. Their level of driving skill is matched by the level of their taste.

Bus 400

This morning a truck driver managed to do a bit of damage to their truck by hitting those big plastic walls filled with water at the Kings Avenue overpass work traffic lights for traffic heading south onto Kings Avenue. Now a 16 or so metre bus can get around there easily, but this truck failed. The only way I can see this guy doing this was sneaking up on the inside lane (which I would never try in anything bigger then a car) as the rear left of the truck is fairly heavily bent in. I'll try & get a photo of the damage tomorrow.

Bus 400

Coming home on a 66 from Woden to Erindale, the articulated bus I was in was following a small car thing. Now from sitting up the back I could tell the car was a slow poke, with the bus accelerating to get power & then having to brake to stop hitting the car. Well the bus driver told me not long after the hospital, this car hit the gutter & did a bit of swerving. Then as we are heading up the hill past Farrer & Isaacs, the car decides to slam on its brakes & come to a sudden stop right on Yamba Drive. The bus slams of the brakes, as does a car & PR3 behind us (from the back seat it looked like the bus just missed the car, but I was reassured by the bus driver there was plenty of room). Well as the bus moves over to the right lane to go around the car driver (who has blocked one lane of Yamba Drive at 17:30 in the afternoon), I did notice the passenger jump out quickly. But if something was wrong, why couldn't the car driver move onto the grass? As the bus driver did say if we were going down the hill it could of been worse, especially in the rain.

Buzz Killington

Not entirely unexpected that Canberra motorists get worse in the wet, but that's just nuts.

Busnerd

For those that don't know I had my first accident on sunday.

I was driving a railbus to Hornsby on the pacific highway, having just left lindfield station I moved to lane two, as I came around the bend there was a car reverse parking from lane to into lane 1 and two vehicles stopped behind him. No one was behind me so I moved into the third lane. I was fully in my lane as I was passing the two stopped cars when one of the stationary cars decided she would move into my lane as i was passing. The front of the bus passed the car no worries, just as I passed I thought, geez...that car is bloody close, CRUUUUUNCH...looked in the mirror and saw the cars bumper fall off....Pulled over straight away and checked the woman was ok. She was apologising continously.

From what I gather happened I was coming around the bend at about 40km/h and she obviously checked her mirror before I got there, thought Oh I will change lanes, but did not do a head check before moving, had she done so she would have seen me. But obviously she didnt and she was obviously just in my lane a tiny bit and made contact with my wheel arch and put scratches and dents in the bus almost down to the next axle. The car had its bumper removed and the drivers door dented and scratched. I wsa worried at first with what looked like blood spatter, i quickly realised it was just livery from the bus :P

By actbus at 2011-03-22

By actbus at 2011-03-22

smitho

Commiserations mate...just one of those things that goes with the job. I hope you weren't too shaken up by it.

Sir Pompously

Almost had a head on last night passing Charnwood, when a bogan mobile did a u turn in front of me and headed straight for me on the wrong side of the road just as it goes to dual carriageway on Ginninderra Drive. Had to swerve into the shoulder to prevent a crash. Wankers.

Bus 400

Surprisingly I haven't seen any extra special drivers for a while. Today changed that though.

"Hanging around" Platform 8 at Woden Bus Station when a taxi pulls up to the traffic lights. Only problem is he is on the wrong side of the road. Now a bus pulls in Woden & (as anyone would do) blasts the horn for the taxi to get out of the way, with the sad thing being it was a MAN bus. Now Mr Taxi driver then backs out of the way of the bus, all the way down Bradley St & past the no entry signs (with bus flowing in tow). He then turns into Bradley Street towards the McDonalds. I have no idea what the passengers were thinking, but I had a nice big giggle. I hope the bus driver involved made a report of this, just so the camera footage can be saved & sent into that 'Surveillance Oz' show.

Bus 400

Since I don't have all night to give any mention to lovely driving skill I saw in 2013. Below are a some over the last few days.

I think it was Friday or Saturday night just gone. I was behaving myself on the Tuggeranong Parkway with a car on my right taking forever to overtake. He finally overtakes & then slows right down for the Cotter Road speed camera (apparently the cameras fine you for doing the speed limit). So since I have no idea time for this idiocy I've caught up quite close. Idiot decides to boot his rust bucket up the hill, so I give the V6 Camry a bit extra boost & fly up the hill leaving him in my dust. As you can guess I'm no longer behaving myself sitting above the speed camera leeway. He catches up, but gets caught behind a slow car & sits right up their arse (he must of been desperate to sit in the other cars backseat). So I fly off & sadly be exits onto Hindmarsh Drive.

Today's is a little less naughty, while I'm sitting at the lights in a Mitchell to turn right from Hoskins St into Sandford St. A guy in a Magna has the green to turn right from Sandford St into Hoskins St. He is sitting in the middle of the road, waiting for the traffic continuing along Sandford St to go. The lights for Sandford St traffic go red, & Hoskins St traffic get the green. So what does he do you ponder, go thru against the red like many of us would. No he sits there & blocks my lane, eventually as I decide to go around the back of him he reverses out of the intersection.

Then on my way to Westfield tonight coming from Bing Lee Carpark, so tossed couldn't be fd going all the way around Egan Court to access the doctor surgery. So they wait & wave all the cars coming out of Egan Court & enter Egan Court a& drive down the one way street the wrong way.

Then I may as well add one from my Gran. While she was sitting in the shelter down at Kambah Village. A woman in a little car turns right into Primmer Court (Kambah Village road thingy) from Marconi Crescent. She then manages to mount the kerb, but her way out of this predicament is to reverse back onto Marconi Crescent. Now while I may have a proper car, surely any sort of car can drive down a gutter?

Now hopefully you all are still awake & haven't been confused by what I just typed.

ajw373

My wife saw one the other day outside the old police station in Belconnen. A bus turning left off Cohen Street onto Lathlain Street failed to give way to a lady pushing a pram (and my wife who was just behind), nearly collecting the pram. Then had the hide to give the dickhead gesture to the lady and my wife. This despite them having a green.

Also related, but the other day I was doing an advance driver training course and I was surprised (having held my licence for 24 years now) that when turning left or right into a street without traffic lights, or a roundabout that one must give way to all pedestrians crossing or INTENDING to cross the road you are turning into. In all my 24 years of driving have I ever once seen a pedestrian game to do this or a vehicle who knows they have to give way. One such example is rule 67 (4). Same too giving way to crossing pedestrians when entering/leaving a driveway, though this rule I did know.

Buzz Killington

As a pedestrian, I wouldn't be game to assert my rights under that rule. No point being correct if you're seriously injured.

split

So if I am riding a bicycle on the footpath, cars exiting side streets (without traffic lights) and driveways should give way to me?

ajw373

Quote from: split on February 23, 2014, 08:27:44 PM
So if I am riding a bicycle on the footpath, cars exiting side streets (without traffic lights) and driveways should give way to me?

If your on a bike then you are a rider, not a pedestrian. But would think the same would apply. Too tired to check now.

The Love Guru

Cyclists are required to dismount at all intersections if they are using the footpath and want the same rights as pedestrians.

ajw373

Quote from: The Love Guru on February 24, 2014, 07:28:10 AM
Cyclists are required to dismount at all intersections if they are using the footpath and want the same rights as pedestrians.

Half right, rule 248 says "The rider of a bicycle must not ride across a road, or part of a road, on a children's crossing or pedestrian crossing", where I say half right is in relation to the foot path, because rule 250 says "The rider of a bicycle who is 12 years old or older must not ride on a footpath if another law of this jurisdiction prohibits the rider from riding on the footpath."

So for the most part riders should not be on a foot path. The exceptions is where the path is shared or the rider is 12 or under.

The Love Guru

I was talking in reference to the enforcement of right of way at an intersection. As stated above cyclist must not ride across a road or part there of, to enforce the right of way they must dismount and walk across the road.

ajw373

Quote from: The Love Guru on February 24, 2014, 10:16:56 AM
I was talking in reference to the enforcement of right of way at an intersection. As stated above cyclist must not ride across a road or part there of, to enforce the right of way they must dismount and walk across the road.

No worries, but you last comment about enforcing right of way, yet another thing I learnt was that even though there are rules about giveing way, no one technically has right of way. There is even a paragraph stating so.

Obligation to give way
There are a number of rules requiring a driver to give way to another driver or a pedestrian. However, under the Rules the other driver or pedestrian does not have a 'right' of way. Indeed, in some situations, a
number of drivers may be required to give way to each other, eg at an intersection with a stop sign or give way sign on more than 1 of the intersecting roads. Similarly, although a driver may be required to
give way to a pedestrian, the pedestrian is required under rule 236 (1) not to cause a traffic hazard by moving into the driver's path.

split

OK, let me give an example:

I'm riding along the footpath on Soward Way alongside Homeworld between Anketell Street and Scollay Street.  As I cross the enterance/exit to the Homeworld carpark, do cars entering or exiting the carpark have to give way to me? 

ajw373

Very greay this area. Firstly is a carpark enterance consiered to be a driveway or a road?

Secondly you shouldn't be riding on the foot path if your over 12 and if you are over 12 and the carpark enterance is considered a road then you should be walking across the road in which case you become a pedestrian.

If a pedestrian and the car park is a road then cars turning INTO the carpark should be stopping for you as they are turning in, but cars exiting wouldn't have to as you are crossing their path.

If the carpark enterance is a driveway, then still if your over 12 you shouldn't be ridding on the path, but in any case all cars crossing the "footpath" should be giving way to pedestrians crossing.

But that said look at some of the posts above, the whole thing about giving way is for the most part very very very grey. I mean to say the rules about who should give way a clear, but technically no one has the right to force right of way, especially it seems pedestrians.

When I did the course the other week an ex AFP copper was running the discussion about road rules and he mentioned the reason why there is no concept of right of way (as opposed to giving way) is to do with culpability in an accident. Apparently in all accidents boths sides are partialy culpable, the only thing that changes is the percentage of culpability. If there was a concept of right of way then it would be hard to judge culpability.

split

As stated in the links below, anyone can legally ride on the footpath in the ACT.  This is why I ask if the same principles apply to cyclists as pedestrians when using footpaths.

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/roads-transport/cycling/cycling_information/road_rules

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/02/bikes-on-footpaths-when-is-it-lawful/

ajw373

Quote from: split on February 25, 2014, 01:37:35 PM
As stated in the links below, anyone can legally ride on the footpath in the ACT.  This is why I ask if the same principles apply to cyclists as pedestrians when using footpaths.

Cyclists still have to dismount to cross a road, so the riding on footpath bit is mostly moot anyway. So the question is is the enterance to the carpark a road (where you must dismount) or a driveway where you don't have to. Also as mentioned a few times would you be silly enough to take on a vehicle who may not know the rules properly?

smitho

Quote from: split on February 25, 2014, 10:05:56 AM
OK, let me give an example:

I'm riding along the footpath on Soward Way alongside Homeworld between Anketell Street and Scollay Street.  As I cross the enterance/exit to the Homeworld carpark, do cars entering or exiting the carpark have to give way to me?

My understanding is that any users of the footpath (pedestrian or cyclist) would have right of way over vehicles leaving the carpark

Toyota Camry

Yesterday afternoon, I was driving along Benjamin Way; that is a road located in the suburb of Belconnen. I was going at the speed limit of 40km/hr, when another vehicle decided to turn left out of the Westfield car park at this location; whilst my car was only 7 metres away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-35.237238,149.0673372,3a,75.9y,319.71h,81.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN4V1KGa730sAmaDdNrK9Kg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It was the slow speed that saved myself from having an accident; I am also lucky that my car was serviced recently at Canberra Toyota so it has very good brakes. It is my high recommendation that before turning left you should look to see if vehicles are approaching; Canberra is a smaller city, but there is still a likelyhood that another car will be coming.