Majura Park

Started by Sir Pompously, September 16, 2008, 05:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Here is a latest happenings thread from Canberra International Airport including building erections, transport related happenings and anything else anyone can think of.

Went past Majura Park today, which now has permanent Green and Silver Signage for Brand Depot, Toys R Us and Babies R Us along with advertising the area as Majura Park and the Website www.majurapark.com.au (Which does not seem to be a domain as of yet!)

Roadworks around the airport are going strong. Pialligo Ave has Asphalt being layed down on the City side of the roadworks, and the overpass is looking more and more complete everyday. They were laying down the dirt to create a bed for the asphalt for the Airport Off ramp on the city side of the building. Diversions are in place on Terminal Cct/Tyson Dr, the ring road around the airport, has been diverted and the old road was now replaced by a carpark (which will eventually be replaced by a multi storey carpark). Some new buildings have also been erected on Brindabella Cct near Parking 3.

Buzz Killington

wait, a Toys R Us is moving in?

Snorzac

I could have told you that. at my school they told us that if we were looking for a job Toys r US were looking for employees for their new store near the airport, we could go to the careers person about it if we wanted to. Why the fuck would we want a job out there!!! We all live in Belco or Ganghullin (I know I spelt it wrong) why the fuck would we want to go out there to work fo 2 hours a day. the school is in florey for fuck sake.

Buzz Killington

you spelt Gungahlin wrong, champ.

Snorzac

thanks I already mentioned that. (In the brackets) or don't you read in the brackets

Buzz Killington

Busnerd

Oh no, the airport is soooo far to travel, those two buses you have to catch to get there is so hard to do. Its like a 40 minute trip which is the same travel distance for most people to get to the city to work.

On the other hand who would want to work at Hawker Bakery

Sir Pompously

And the norm minimum hours is actually 3. At my work it is 4, but for most retail it is 3 with a maximum of 9 (1 Hour and two 15 minute breaks) depending on your award. Hell, I live in Monash and travel to work at the airport almost every day, and I also have to go to CIT in Reid. Somehow I manage to do it, and when I can it is mostly by bus. Harden up, buddy.

bubzie

yeah, 3 hours really is the minimum.

the maximum is 9??? Sweet! Several people including myself at work are doing illegal shifts! HUZZAH!! (10 hour shifts are stupid..)

I'm about to go to work now....so everyone, dont bother complaining about your jobs, i think I'VE got it bad.

Sir Pompously

If they are doing 10 they should be paid overtime (10 really is overworking a person), it is the 'maximum' but aslong as your work provide you with extra to work that extra part of your shift, then they can do it. However, check out the award on the SDA website as that will tell you everything about hours, and pay ;)

bubzie

ahh, that would explain it.. (I was one of those people..12 till 10 is a stupid shift.)

I shall also add, working 5 till 9 (Yes, in the morning!), then 12 till 4 is just as stupid....i am pratically half dead now :)

Buzz Killington

10 hours is the maximum shift, and you need a minimum 10 hour break between shifts. If you start a shift within 10 hours of completing one, then the ENTIRITY of that second shift is paid at time and a half.

I was a service manager for 18 months, so i know what i'm talking about.

bubzie

Sir Pompously

Yes well seeing it does differ between supermarkets, Coles was always 9. And a general maximum around in Customer service and Retail is 9, however it looks as though Woolworths sure do like to work their staff.

bubzie

yes, because who needs to hire two staff members to do say, a 5 hour shift each, when you can just get one to do them both? gahhh.

(I'm not complaining..i know of one guy younger than me who had to do 5 till 4, with no break at all..11 hours, thats just fucked up..)

Buzz Killington

Woolworths and Supabarn have the 10 hour rule.

How do they roster that split shift, Bubzie? Do they pay you overtime for the second portion?

Also, that guy REALLY needs to get the union involved.

bubzie

they originally rostered me on to do 5 till 9, then when i was about to leave to go to school, they were like "Oh, what time do you finish? Can you start at 12?" (Because the manager was going to a meeting somewhere, the other morning person was going at 12, and they wouldnt of had anyone there till 3, when the midnight person came in..gahhh!)
i have no idea what they're going to do about overtime and such..i guess i'll find out when i get paid..

and yeah, i think he did get the union involved..or was at least talking to our union delegate person the other night..

Buzz Killington

if you're working 5 til 9am then 12-4pm, you are entitled to time and a half for the four hours 12-4. It should be processed automatically, but it wouldnt hurt to check.

Snorzac

Brand Depot is closing and being turned into a cargo hub for the airport

Buzz Killington

i heard something along those lines ages ago... But where does that leave Toys R Us? Or are they openng in that Majura Park end where Trade Secret, Mother Natures and all that are?

what's your source?

Snorzac

Who knows what will happen with the rest

My source is an ACTION driver

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, sucked in Brand Depot.

Sir Pompously

Sorry, but at this point in time it is not official and I would be one of the first few to hear about it seeing I actually work at the airport itself (I have not heard anything of the sort, and AAE who currently have a frieght facility are actually Qantas Freight). Toys R Us looks to be going next to Brand Depot, they are building an addition at the moment.

The new freight facility is actually supposed to be moving to the General Aviation area. However, I would not be suprised if Brand Depot was turned into one only because of the sheer size and location of the building. But for it to actually be a freight hub, it would need to have taxiways and aprons added to it, along with perimetre fence reconstruction.

bubzie

HA!

that is AWESOME news!! :)

brand depot had that ..wow? factor for like a day or two. ..now it's just a piece of junk..

Buzz Killington

yup, aside from one or two stores its pretty shit.

Sir Pompously

Caltex/Woolworths Petrol Majura Park is currently being built next to Jim 'Tanked' Murphy's and Supabarn (Emporium). It is fairly well advanced, and will be a new look Caltex/Woolworths (Judging by the banner signage) which I think will be the first in Canberra of the new design.

Buzz Killington

Ah, so that's what that is. I drove past today but didn't notice any signage to indicate what it was.

Also, they haven't been an emporium since 2004.

Sir Pompously

Yeah they only put the banners up the other day, as when I drove out of Canberra there was nothing up, but driving back in they were displayed on the Temp fencing. Also, I know they are no longer an emporium, I just use the name for old time sake.

Sir Pompously

This is STEAKSAUCE! I cannot wait for CostCo to come here, any idea on the location of the first store?

Buzz Killington

I'd suggest Majura but perhaps not with Supabarn already there. Perhaps out at the so-called 'Epicentre' precinct where DFO is at.

Quote from: Sir Pompously on October 22, 2010, 11:35:04 PM
This is STEAKSAUCE!

Haha. I should probably institute a new rule declaring all members must understand the reference.

Sir Pompously

Either of those is fine by me, close or on the way home from work :P

And Steak sauce, well it is a reference to How I met your mother:

QuoteBilson: Nice tie! Steak sauce!
    Office Jerk: Ohhhhhhh, steakkk sauce!
    [Marshall looks for a stain on his tie]
    Barney: Marshall, sidebar. Your tie is steak sauce. A1? Get it? Try to keep up.

Buzz Killington

I knew that, the point was - did anyone else?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Metrobus on October 10, 2008, 07:08:07 PM
Brand Depot is closing

Who else but Metrobus could have foreseen today's news that Brand Depot is in fact closing down.

Word is that Supabarn will be out of Majura Park once their lease is up. Could have something to do with the fact that Costco is moving in nextdoor I guess.

Buzz Killington

If Supabarn were pissed about Costco setting up shop a literal stone's throw away, they'll be super pissed to learn that the now vacant Brand Depot Site (presumably excluding the bits taken by Lollipops and Toys R Us) will be filled with a Woolworths Supermarket, Dick Smith and a Big W.

Busnerd

Seems like a stupid place to set up those sort of shops, all you can hope for is a decent food court in there. An officeworks would be a better shop to open there or a bunnings...lets hope they at least re style the building slightly, it would also be good to have some airport access, even a footpath for people to walk to the terminal (long walk i know!)

Bus It

As a part of work experience this week, I was able to enter former "Brand Depot" site. I am surprised to see that the building has been completely guttered in a matter of days. The current process that is taking place is removing all of the smaller support posts and inserting fewer larger ones, as Woolworths has strict guidelines that must be met.
I apologise for the photo quality as I had to take it with my phone camera.  >:(

smitho

Hope they keep the cafe with the runway viewing area (which seemed pretty popular with the punters. Habourtown @ Adelaide (West Beach) Airport has made a real feature of aeroplane movements look-out points - a popular feature of that retail precinct.

ajw373

Quote from: Busn00b on June 30, 2011, 06:24:04 PM
Seems like a stupid place to set up those sort of shops, all you can hope for is a decent food court in there. An officeworks would be a better shop to open there or a bunnings...lets hope they at least re style the building slightly, it would also be good to have some airport access, even a footpath for people to walk to the terminal (long walk i know!)

The rumor going around when Brand Depot closed was the site was going to be used for a "Masters" store, which I have no doubt many are aware is Woolworths answer to Bunnings.

As for Woolworths and Big W going in there, it does seem a strange place to set-up shop on the surface. But if you think about it, the way Civic, Manuka, Kingston etc are going these days for many it would be a lot easier to pop into a place like the airport. Also got to remember there is a lot of passing traffic too, mainly heading to Gungahlin, so perfect place to stop in on the way home, and for many would be more convenient than stopping at the crap fight that is Gungahlin town centre, where you may need to go to 3 different centres to get everything you need.

Buzz Killington

I do recall the Masters rumour, but I'm with you on this one ajw - not too sure about Dick Smith but I reckon it's a great location for Woolies and Big W. As you say, the through-traffic for Gungahlin will be a lot of the business for them, particularly with only the two full-line supermarkets plus Aldi in very close proximity in the Gungahlin Town Centre.

There's no real supermarket competition in that part of Canberra. The closest Coles' are Manuka, Queanbeyan and Gungahlin, and the closest Woolies would probably be Dickson, Gungahlin and Queanbeyan. I reckon the Big W would appeal to Queanbeyan residents who only really have Target in the homewares category.

The Costco crowds will help boost initial shopper numbers but I reckon there's probably enough business to keep them performing decently once the excitement dies down.

Barry Drive

Woolworths "Canberra Airport" opens Thu 29 March 2012.

Buzz Killington

The Big W opens on the same say. Not sure about Dick Smith