Redex: Insert Pinched Slogan Here!

Started by Buzz Killington, April 28, 2009, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Media Release
New rapid transit buses every 15 minutes

Released 28/04/2009

Commuters can expect a bus every 15 minutes during peak times and every 30 minutes during off-peak times on high demand weekday routes when the ACT Labor Government trials new rapid transit buses, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope revealed today.

The Budget will provide $1 million for the new service, REDEX - Rapid Express Direct, to be trialled in 2009-10 between 6:30am and 7pm on weekdays during school terms.

Mr Stanhope said passengers and businesses would benefit from better transport access to town centresand the Parliamentary Triangle.

"This responsible investment by the ACT Labor Government will deliver more buses more frequently in peak demand periods," Mr Stanhope said. "The rapid transit buses will create the capacity for an additional 300,000 passengers travelling to major employment hubs, town centres and through the Parliamentary Triangle.

"REDEX is expectedto commence in October 2009 to coincide with the start of the 4th school term. New ACTION buses that were funded in last year's Budget, for nearly $50 million, will provide the additional bus capacity needed to deliver the services. A review of the trial and community feedback about the new services will inform the future of REDEX and its potential growth.

"The ACT Labor Government is committed to providing Canberrans with better public transport options. By increasing the frequency of our bus services we can help to address traffic congestion, reduce transport emissions and provide better access to our town and employment centres," Mr Stanhope said.

REDEX 1 will be a return service to Gungahlin, Dickson, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong. REDEX 2 will be a return service to Kippax, Belconnen, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong.

Buses will run every 15 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm and every 30 minutes at all other times.

lukeo25

would it good i wonder and would it be pre-paid tickets only to speed it up, and the new ticketing system might be in force by then.

Busnerd

So I'm guessing it will mainly be the 14.5's on these runs!

But probably a mix I would assume...it doesn't mention anything about high capacity only more capacity...I supppose it is a good idea, about time we got some strange long routes with funny names to copy other city's like metrobus, red orbital etc.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mr Snrub on April 28, 2009, 06:43:04 PM
REDEX 1 will be a return service to Gungahlin, Dickson, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong. REDEX 2 will be a return service to Kippax, Belconnen, City, Russell, Barton, Woden, Erindale and Tuggeranong.

Buses will run every 15 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm and every 30 minutes at all other times.
This is the same bullshit they used with route 4. 'Buses will run every 15 minutes' - which buses? Will each route run every 15 minutes or is that a combined 15 minutes for both routes?

And don't we have a 30 minute service between Gungahlin, City, Russell and Barton every 30 minutes already? You can't run 'REDEX 1' and route 5 to/from Gungahlin at the same time - there won't be enough passengers.

Quote from: lukeo25 on April 28, 2009, 06:47:12 PM
would it good i wonder and would it be pre-paid tickets only to speed it up, and the new ticketing system might be in force by then.
New ticketing system won't be ready by October.

Buzz Killington

It's a bit hard to make comment at this stage, with only a press release to go off.

Some basic services like a true express and city loops are so noticeable by their absence that its ridiculous.

Bus 400

I've read the article in "The Canberra Times" today & in that story it mentions the Stanhope would like the REDEX buses painted a different colour (possibly red). But Mr Swift doesn't like that idea as the buses are then confined to those routes. But Mr Swift suggested specially marked REDEX bus stops for people to identify them.

With the new ticket system up & ready in 18 to 24 months (from the word of ACTION). Also the contracts have been signed for 100 new buses, including the 24 14.5's.

Busnerd

I think that the different stops are a great idea, such as a bollard that's red instead of orange for example...

Perhaps action could extend the idea to Xpresso's and have blue and orange stops!

However I agree with 'Mr Swift'. For example metrobus is always short of red buses due to them being off the road for maintenance. So they put a bus in corporate livery on the run and no one catches it because it's not red...

Bus 400

I do like that idea of special Xpresso stop signs as ACTION have put normal bus stop signs on roads that only have Xpresso services. Also "Weekend" or "Weekday" Only should of been put on stop signs. So this would bring things back to the 80's (I think).

I wonder if this REDEX thing is the reason for the left lane of Belconnen Way (City Bound) may become a bus priority lane in the near future.

Sir Pompously

Well up here in Brisbane they have signs for each different type of service for their limited stop ones. Bollards/Wings/Totems have the type of bus in red that stops there, while normal Translink J Poles have another sign the size of the ACTION yellow Bus Stop signs underneath with BUZ, Rocket or BUZ/Rocket on the same sign if both types of services stop there. I have not seen a Bullet sign as of yet. The Loop services (Downtown Loop and Spring Hill Loop) all have personalised Bollards for their stopping locations. It is a half decent idea that looks like it may make a comeback in Canberra for personalised stop signage.

And remember, MaxiZac, Xpresso's are now Brown in colour. We can have big brown bollards and signs at bus stops :P

From what I have read it sounds like a smashing idea and cannot wait to get a ride on the services, also would give me another way of getting home if I miss one of my buses! The Idea of painted buses (As Maxi has pointed out) is not overly good, as has been seen on Metrobus with plenty of non painted buses plowing the route. Maybe a few AOA buses might work better, to promote the service.

Irisbus Rider

Excellent, I like the sound of it, finally, a real express bus service between town centres, bring it on!

Busnerd

Can ACTION really warrant a limited stop service though?

Even the Xpresso's are all stops!

Irisbus Rider

If they could 20 years ago, they can today!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on May 01, 2009, 01:00:31 PM
Excellent, I like the sound of it, finally, a real express bus service between town centres, bring it on!
No it's not. The route will (partly) be City - Russell - Barton - Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong. That's NOT an express between town centres, it's a scenic route.

As for the claim in the media release that it serves 'high demand weekday routes' - prove it. I don't see any high demand for this service except possibly during peak and only then on some parts of the route, not the entire length. For instance, 11 already provides a 30 minute service between Erindale and Woden - and it's not exactly crowded during off-peak; the same thing for route 5 between City and Gungahlin.

If there is currently unmet demand during daytime it should be addressed by adjusting existing routes and adding new routes for any gap. One fix that could easily be done is to adjust the scheduling of routes 4 and 5 so that there is a genuine 15 minute headway between City and Russell/Barton in both directions and 30 minutes at night. Then you will have a 15-minute service to/from City to Russell/Barton.

There is currently no direct service from Woden to Barton/Parkes, or from Erindale to Tuggeranong - these are the only parts of the routes which might need implementing.

The Love Guru

Perhaps swapping the redex and 3## routes around might be a better solution. ie running redex express between kippax&belconnen/gungahlin - city- woden - tuggeranong every 10 minutes (old 333 route). Reduce the 3## routes to 10 minutes as well and go belco-city-russell-barton-woden-erindale-tuggeranong (current 300 route where aplicable).

Barry Drive

[message re-written]
My idea, similar to Chris's, is to have two co-ordinated services supplementing the intertown.

Route '301' would service Kippax - Belc - City - Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong every 30 minutes.

Route '302' would service Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden every 30 minutes. This service would connect with route 11 to provide connections to/from Erindale.

Both services would connect at City Interchange (in both directions) to allow transfers.

The services would operate in conjuction with intertown routes to provide a direct service between Belconnen, City and Woden every 7½ minutes and services between Tuggeranong and Woden (direct) every 15 minutes. This would mean a reduction in intertown services since they are under-utilised at the moment.

Irisbus Rider

In retrospect, and after having some discussion about this, the ideas you two are proposing are much more viable, and better for the travelling public.

By the looks of it, my comments, and the RedEx service obviously haven't been thought out very well at all.

Sir Pompously

My idea for the redEX logo and my idea for the Slogan. The header comes from the PDF Intertown timetable, just recoloured.

Irisbus Rider

Looks Goodes of Tamut!
Very nice, hopefully ACTION will adopt this type of special signage for the new service.

Barry Drive

Another option is to consider the various segments of the route and address those using existing routes where possible. By which I mean the following:

Kippax - Belconnen - City - Russell - Barton
Modify route 710 to travel to/from Kippax in peak periods. For off peak travel, extend 318 and/or 319 to Kippax (both if you want a 15 minute service or only one if you want a 30 minute service); for travel onto Russell, Barton transfer at City.

Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden
Route 444 - off peak only
Since it will overlap with the current route 5 from GMP, change the route 5 to travel between City and Woden only. At evenings runs only between City and GMP (possibly with a different route number - such as 50) or else extend 51 and 52 to City in both directions.

During the day, this service can run every 30 minutes. Routes 4 and 5 can then be co-ordinated with this route to provide a service between City and Russell / Barton every 10 minutes each way.

Gungahlin - Dickson - City - Russell - Barton - Woden - Erindale
Route 445 - Peak services
AM peak some/most/all services commence at City; PM peak some/most/all services terminate at City (since Gungahlin - City is serviced by 51, 52 and 59 during peak).

Woden - Erindale
(Off peak)
Already exists. It's called Route 11.

Erindale - Tuggeranong
Extend one of 312, 313, 314 or 315 to Erindale. Not sure if this segment is necessary.

Irisbus Rider

Sounds good.

The more RedEx is discussed and thought about, the more the current structure looks to fail. Very dissapointing, as this is what Canberra needs, but it also needs to be restructured.

Bus 400

From stories I keep on hearing (which I'd prefer not repeat incase it may be sensitive-may not be though), it looks as if there may be a few problems with RedEx & some groups won't support this service. So there is something going on that may mean that RedEx may not go ahead for a few years.

Others however are pushing for the the 312-319 being replaced with the plain old 333 route.

Most of this is "depot rumour" but some things do make sense. Do others think that RedEx can come into service by Term 4 2009?

Irisbus Rider

Not if we don't have the buses by then.

RedEx is purely political, and will have to run to make the politicians look good. Remember it is a trial, and this trial will determine it's viability or not.

I do know that it won't be running via Erindale due to that difficult intersection up the street from Maccas.

Bus 400

That road that Erindale Bus Stops are on have made worse today with the road being narrowed with a traffic island being painted down the middle. But for most low floor buses to leave Erindale (southbound) they have to cross over the double lines. Also buses entering Erindale Terminus from there also have to go pretty wide & every so often you'll have a car stopped forward of the stop line & that makes it even harder.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 25, 2009, 09:42:30 PM
That road that Erindale Bus Stops are on have made worse today with the road being narrowed with a traffic island being painted down the middle. But for most low floor buses to leave Erindale (southbound) they have to cross over the double lines. Also buses entering Erindale Terminus from there also have to go pretty wide & every so often you'll have a car stopped forward of the stop line & that makes it even harder.
Hence why they don't want to send buses down there every 15 mins. Definately a good idea IMO, then it would provide Tuggeranong Interchange with a direct 15min service to Woden.

Goldstar

Redex - ex? I wonder how long it would take to get from Tuggeranong to the City via this route which goes to Erindale, Woden etc etc first? As some have described, it sounds like a scenic route - might just leave people seeing red - SceneRed? :)

Bus 400

It would work so much better if Erindale was cut out.
But I can see the need for a direct run from Woden to Barton. At the moment people that work in Barton & won't to do anything in Woden have to either wait for a 6 that goes on a scenic trip through Manuka & Red Hill. Or if they are lucky enough take a 2,3,5 & do the same thing.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 25, 2009, 08:00:06 PM
It would work so much better if Erindale was cut out.
But I can see the need for a direct run from Woden to Barton. At the moment people that work in Barton & won't to do anything in Woden have to either wait for a 6 that goes on a scenic trip through Manuka & Red Hill. Or if they are lucky enough take a 2,3,5 & do the same thing.
The last I heard, RedEx wouldn't go through Erindale.

It will definately be a while until we see RedEx, a long while.

Bus 400

I bring news that a RedEx service will begin on 16 November 2009.
Quote from: ACTION
ACTION will soon be trialling a high frequency, limited stops, rapid bus service - REDEX - between Gungahlin Market Place and Kingston Railway Station. The trial will commence on Monday 16 November and go through until 30 June 2010 (including school holidays, but not the Christmas/New Year period).
The REDEX route will travel via Mitchell, Northbourne Avenue, the City, Russell and Barton. This REDEX trial was chosen because it is consistent with one of the key routes identified within the draft Public Transport Network Plan.
The focus on one route for the trial will allow ACTION to increase service frequency to every 15 minutes between 7 am to 7 pm, Monday to Friday. ACTION's new wheelchair accessible buses will be used for the trial. These buses have internal information screens.
Customers will be able to use the bike racks on the buses and pay normal bus fares.
The REDEX buses will only stop at the designated REDEX bus stops along the route. These will be identified by a REDEX bollard. More detail regarding these stops will be provided closer to the time.
Timetables will be available from Monday 2 November 2009. Find out more...([url=http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=8585]http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=8585[/][/url])
[url=http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html]http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html[/][/url]
It sounds like a bit of a weird run & different to what the current RedEx desto's show. I wonder if this run is already programmed into 390-393 new screen yet?

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the info there TP.

Via Mitchell? Does that mean 'Via Mitchell', or the single bollarded stop on Flemington Rd?

Sounds good to me, finally, a limited stops service between Gungahlin and the City, and a 15 min frequency too!

Although, Kingston Railway Station, I don't quite agree with that, It probably would be a better service if it travelled to Manuka, but, by going to the Railway Station, it allows the many residents from the Kingston Foreshore to access this service.

'I'm Excited'.

Bus 400

Here is the article in today's Canberra Times, including map & news on Woden depot.

Good to see this service won't stop at every stop on Northbourne, but I suspect the 5 will be considerably shortened & few changes to the 80 in November.

Barry Drive

Interesting. I would have liked no stops between EPIC and Antill St. Agree that Manuka should have been considered, but there is some demand for Kingston foreshore service. Not sure how well patronised a 15 minute frequency will be, especially during off peak, but that's what the trial is going to find out.

Does this mean Kingston Railway Station will finally get a driver's amenities block?

This is not too different to what I suggested the Redex route should be (see above), but of course I'm not a highly-paid transport consultant so what would I know? I would still like to see a regular direct service to/from Kippax, even if it does involve only extending the 710 during peak.

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 28, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
I suspect the 5 will be considerably shortened & few changes to the 80 in November.
Ideally the 5 should no longer travel to Gungahlin at the same time. But I doubt there will be any changes to existing routes/timetables.

This service was always going to be a add-on to existing services. Unless they change their mind, all Redex services will be segregated shifts and existing shifts will not be affected.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 25, 2009, 08:13:58 PM
It will definately be a while until we see RedEx, a long while.
I love my credibility there :P

Changes to the 80? The only change that should be implemented is the return to the 80 travelling down Bowen Dr (opposed to National Cct). Other than that, there's not much that I can see changing.

Buzz Killington

Timetables are out 2 November.

Improved REDEX trial to start in November

Released 28/09/2009

Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope today announced a modified rapid transit network trial to better align it to the recently released Strategic Public Transport Network Plan. The trial will now operate between Gungahlin to Canberra Railway Station, Kingston, travelling via Mitchell, the City, Russell and the Parliamentary Triangle.

The new service, REDEX - Rapid Express Direct - will operate on weekdays with an improved service frequency of 15 minutes from 7 am to 7 pm. To improve travel times it will stop only at specially marked stops.

The trial, which will cost $1 million, will commence on Monday 16 November and continue until the end of June 2010.

"In preparing the draft Strategic Public Transport Network Plan the Government has consulted with leading transport planning expert Jarrett Walker from McCormick Rankin Cagney. He has advised that the trial would be effective on the route between Gungahlin to the Canberra Railway Station in Kingston via City, Russell and the Parliamentary Triangle," Mr Stanhope said.

"This aligns the trial to one of the key routes identified in the Plan and will not overlap or compete with the existing 300-series Intertown service. Restricting the trial to one route allows ACTION to run it over a longer period and with more frequent services. Services will run every 15 minutes which makes it easier for people to remember the timetable.
"The ACT Government has allocated $1 million for the trial in recognition of our commitment to providing Canberrans with better public transport options. This initiative will deliver more buses, more frequently, throughout the day," Mr Stanhope said.

Mr Stanhope said that the new service will be operated by 11 of the new 100 buses that were funded in the 2008/09 Budget, for nearly $50 million. A review of the trial and community feedback about the new services will inform the future of REDEX and its potential growth, which could ultimately include an extension to Fyshwick. If the trial is successful future expansions, to be implemented in late-2010, will focus on the Belconnen and Tuggeranong Valley areas.

REDEX will be promoted through a community awareness campaign that will commence in October.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 28, 2009, 06:08:30 PM
REDEX will be promoted through a community awareness campaign that will commence in October.
I'd be interested to see what this consists of, if it will simply be ads on and in buses, or part of a bigger media advertising campaign.

Awareness is vital to get sufficient numbers, simply put, people won't catch a bus service they don't know exists.

Bus 400

I see the main issue in being people will start to bitch & moan because they signaled the bus from a non designated RedEx stop. Limited stop services were last seen during the old Express services of last century.

I actually think that ACTION may already have the RedEx bollards, as about a month or so ago a few of the bollards from the stops shown in the article disappeared & have temporarily been put back recently.

But I so hope that RedEx gets expanded (except for the Erindale bit)

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 29, 2009, 12:01:47 AM
I see the main issue in being people will start to bitch & moan because they signaled the bus from a non designated RedEx stop.
They'll learn pretty damn quick when every RedEx bus sails past them. Anyway, if they can't even determine the difference between a RedEx bollard and a normal orange bollard, they should even be catching the bus! No doubt; the fact that it is a limited stops service will be well advertised, so it will simply be the commuters ignorance if they don't realise.

I think the next stage should see a Kippax > Moyes Cres > Southern Cross Dr > Belconnen > Eastern Valley Way > Barry/Belconnen Way > Northbourne Av > City > Intertown route > Woden > Hindmarsh Dr > Tuggeranong Pkwy/Drakeford Dr > Tuggeranong service (A limited stops Intertown)

Then extend the trial service from the Railway Station to Woden via Kingston > Manuka > Captain Cook Cres > Jerrabomberra Av > Hindmarsh Dr > Yamba Dr > Woden.
It is late at night, and I'm sleep deprived, so it's not very well thought through, so I'm open to correction or improvement there!

On an aside, I wonder where this Redex Service will stop in City Interchange? One would assume Plat. 8 and 9 respectively.
I honestly think it should be moved out on Northbourne (with the Intertowns........ha, now I'm dreaming), as keeping out on the main road would make it easier for the average commuter to associate where the direct buses leave from. Again, I'm not typing this with a clear mind, I'm open to discussion on the matter.

Goldstar

Two points I'd like to make regarding the new RedEx services. First is that I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...The next one, regarding signage for the buses. I agree with the point made above that action can't afford to signwrite buses just for this service, and then have them being fixed and non-signwritten ones doing the job anyway. However, seems simple to me, use those large magnets that you see on other operators sometimes. Even something as simple as a large red rectangle across the front of the bus, or even simpler yet, a red square on the front doorside dash - nasty, but also cheap and effective - people just need an extra visual que that the oncoming bus is the one they want...

belcodriver

Quote from: Goldstar on September 29, 2009, 09:27:33 AM
Two points I'd like to make regarding the new RedEx services. First is that I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...

Except with the current ticketing system, a single cash fare (unless it's paid with a $50 note) is quicker than anything else including the passenger putting a pre-purchased ticket into the validator.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on September 29, 2009, 12:17:48 AM
They'll learn pretty damn quick when every RedEx bus sails past them.
No, they won't. Never underestimate the general public's capacity for stupidity.

Quote from: Goldstar on September 29, 2009, 09:27:33 AM
I reckon it should only accept pre-purchased tickets - no ticket sales onboard, emphasis is on express...
Pre-purchased only works when you have a high-demand service, no alternative routes and plenty of places to purchase a ticket from. Fails on all three counts. The best way to achieve an express service is to have no passengers - bus usually makes good time then.

Goldstar

Quote from: Martin on September 29, 2009, 01:00:22 PM
The best way to achieve an express service is to have no passengers - bus usually makes good time then.

;D

Barry Drive

This is for real - apologies for the quality - a photo of the Redex Route Map poster at the Belconnen Depot. That slogan looks vaguely familiar!

Note: Attachment has expired.

Sir Pompously

lol, I still think 'Express Yourself' (My slogan) is better, however could always be taken the wrong way.....

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Martin on October 28, 2009, 12:07:41 AM
This is for real - apologies for the quality - a photo of the Redex Route Map poster at the Belconnen Depot. That slogan looks vaguely familiar!

brb calling my lawyer

Busnerd

has someone advised action they are using our non trademarked slogan?

Bus 400

The Redex details & timetable are now up. See the route number on the online timetable.
Details can be found at http://www.action.act.gov.au/redex.html
727 seems a weird route number to picked

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the link.

I do agree, 727 is a strange number, although, the timetable looks nice, I like the layout and the colour scheme it's in.

Bus 400

This is a bit of a different note:

Please note: Times are a guide only and subject to change throughout the duration of the Redex Trial.

Bus 400

Although the timetables are now available online, City Info Office is meant to receive the timetables on Monday. So the guy ended with they'll be due sometime mid week.

Bus 400

A ATDB member has suggested that Route number 727 was given to Redex as it runs 7am 2 7pm.

Bus 400

All the stops along the Redex route now have bollards. They just all have no timetable information in them (the new ones atleast)

whartonj

This service is an absolute joke!!!

I currently catch a 51 from Ngunnawal Primary School @ 7:14am and get to the city @ 7:45am (This service also stops at the Market place).  If I catch the new 727 REDEX service from Gungahlin Market Place @ 7:16am I will get to the city at 7:46am.  I save 1 minute.  Whoopty-do. 

I currently leave home at 7:10am to catch the 51 and will need to leave at the same time to get to the Market Place to catch the 727 @ 7:16am.  So for the saving of 1 minute, I'll need to start driving my car and pay more in fuel each week or catch the 51 @ 6:45am and stand at the market place for 20minutes.

What a bunch of morons!  This trial is already doomed before it starts!

Irisbus Rider

Welcome to the forum!

QuoteThis trial is already doomed before it starts!
There are a considerable number of ACTION employees stating this actually.

It is a shame, because it is a good idea, it is just poorly executed (by shadowing another route).
The advantages of it is that it provides extra capacity for the Gungahlin to City section, and it skips most stops on Northbourne, which will avoid crowding on buses.

Buzz Killington

What's the bet we'll still have people press the bell for non-redex stops, then "SCUSE US MATE, YOU MISSED ME STOP!" when the bus zooms straight past!

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 02, 2009, 07:43:08 PM
What's the bet we'll still have people press the bell for non-redex stops, then "SCUSE US MATE, YOU MISSED ME STOP!" when the bus zooms straight past!

We have had limited stop buses before in Canberra and it has never been a problem. Give em a week and they will soon work it out no problem at all.

Barry Drive

Also, the information screen might help - but then again if they don't read the bus destos, why would they read the internal screen?

Irisbus Rider

Will this service have 'voiced announcements' throughout the route? If so, that would definately help, because I agree with Martin, the screen will go completely unnoticed by most.

Barry Drive

I seriously hope not. I don't think those screens have speakers - the only speakers are in the driver's cabin.

Bus 400

There is a speaker at the bottom of the screen & next to each internal light. The stops on the the 312 yesterday weren't spoken, just changed 2-5m after each stop.
For most the screens are a novelty & are watched by most, but that'll change as everyone gets use to them.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 03, 2009, 11:18:10 AM
There is a speaker at the bottom of the screen & next to each internal light. The stops on the the 312 yesterday weren't spoken, just changed 2-5m after each stop.
For most the screens are a novelty & are watched by most, but that'll change as everyone gets use to them.
Which answers my question....lol.

So, it would appear that the Scanias and the Gas MANs are the only 'green' buses lacking internal speakers.

Buzz Killington

There's an ad in this week's chronicle for Redex - complete with 375 with a Redex Desto...and missing its gas pod.

Busnerd

Bus 400

It just has the Redex logo in the desto

Bus 400

The Redex timetable have been installed in the 4 bollards at Gungahlin Marketplace.

Quote from: ABC NewsRapid bus service not so express: Opposition

The ACT Opposition says not much will change for north Canberra commuters when the Government's new rapid transit bus service is introduced.

MLA Alistair Coe says timetables for the service show only a few minutes will be cut from normal bus travel times from Gungahlin to the city during the morning peak.

He says only one minute will be cut from existing daytime services and in the evening, there is no time savings at all.

"It's not going to be a rapid transit system like Mr [Jon] Stanhope has promised, it's really going to be additional route buses," he said.

"Now, additional route buses is something we welcome.

"But he can't mislead the people of Canberra and say it's going to be an express service when it's going on the same roads, stopping at the same traffic lights and has all the other major problems that the existing bus system has."

Bus 400

An update bollard at Gungahlin Marketplace

The sign that goes in the top of the bollard

Sir Pompously

Hopefully if this service stays they will give us double Bollards, so one dedicated to Redex. Although I do not mind the insert. Thankfully they have yet to use the piched slogan on the Bollards. Also, in both photos I clearly see part of a finger.....

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Sir Pompously on November 07, 2009, 03:50:13 PM
Hopefully if this service stays they will give us double Bollards, so one dedicated to Redex.
No, just single bollards. Double bollards aren't really necessary, all the information can easily fit on the single bollard, and with the RedEx logo on the top of the bollard, it be sufficient.

Bus 400

They were both taken with the camera on my phone.

Bus 400

ACTION have started a radio ad for Redex now, goes along the lines of nothing bus has gone faster, leave car at home, Redex get of board.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 09, 2009, 08:36:08 AM
ACTION have started a radio ad for Redex now, goes along the lines of nothing bus has gone faster, leave car at home, Redex get of board.

Sounds like a translation from a Chinese version of the ad the way you have worded it!

Bus 400

Word from a reliable source is that the Redex services from 09:00 to 16:00 will be free for the first week.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Chris_Guru on November 09, 2009, 10:25:02 AM
Sounds like a translation from a Chinese version of the ad the way you have worded it!
ROFL! It's so funny because it's true!

But seriously, it's a really clever ad, I'm sure it will spruce interest, but when commuters see it isn't as express as it has been made out to be, it will be a massive dissapointment.

bubzie

I heard it today on 104....and i want that minute of advertising back.

Buzz Killington

It has something along the lines of "Buses haven't gone this fast since Sandra and Keanu..."

And of course, it ends with "Get on Board!"

Bus 400

QuoteWord from a reliable source is that the Redex services from 09:00 to 16:00 will be free for the first week.

The times may of been out a bit, but confirmation of this today:

Quote from: ACTION Website
To celebrate the start of REDEX, on Monday 16 November ACTION is offering free travel for the first week on the REDEX between 9:00am and 4:30pm. Offer ends on Friday 20 November at 4:30pm.

The Love Guru

Probably the only way they can think of to attract people to use it!

Bus 400

The point I think ACTION missed was that the buses are nice & cool to get into after a hard day at work. As if you leave your car in the sun at 08:30 by 17:00 it is boiling hot.

I should mention my reliable source said that Supervisors will also be on the Redex buses for the first week. So you have to be on your best behavior. They'll more then likely gathering passenger numbers & will be there for when passengers bitch & moan when the bus goes past their stop (which is of course a non Redex stop).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 11, 2009, 01:27:03 AM
So you have to be on your best behavior

Don't know about you but when I get on the bus I take a seat and don't move until it's time to get off the bus. Not exactly hard to behave yourself!

Snorzac

Saw the 727 desto today on 392 while it was out doing some GPS testing. It has Redex on the top line, I think it was actually the Redex logo, and then it has a scrolling bottom line that slides across the screen with 'Limited Stops Railway Station via City' or similar.

Bus 400

For those that haven't seen it yet (surely not many), this is the ad on the back of most of the new MAN's:

Busnerd

That looks silly, they should have just done a full rear ad if they were going to do it like that!

Bus 400

The Canberra Times reports that 14 buses will be designated to Redex. So unless 3 more buses are due tomorrow, a few shifts won't be covered on Monday.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 12, 2009, 08:12:17 PM
So unless 3 more buses are due tomorrow, a few shifts won't be covered on Monday.

They'll pull the buses off other runs onto Redex  before they let their brand new, much hyped Redex service have runs cancelled.

Snorzac

14 buses doesn't necessarily mean that they will all be MAN deisel

Busnerd

I think we can all agree the liberal's are a bunch of f*****s...what the hell, is "sold a pup" do they have a special office dedicated to coining stupid new phrases!?

Bus 400

It was a part of Alistair's Year 11 essay that he completed last night, handed it in this morning & then went to complain about big bus.

Irisbus Rider

Wait, I thought what Alistair said is the general concencus that everyone on this forum has reached?

It seems as though I've been the only person that has faith in this service, yet, when a politician states what all you have said, there's suddenly an issue? How odd.....

FYI, from 'thefreedictionary.com':
be sold a pup  (British informal): to be tricked into buying something that is not worth anything
I've never heard the saying before either, sounds a tad stupid.

The Love Guru

You are all showing your age, or lack there of! The govt has been 'sold a pup' so to speak. Redex is a waste of tax payers money in its current form. Would be nice to get someone in who knows what they are doing to get these services running correctly.

At this time, the service will carry very few passengers on 2 services an hour as it shadows the 5 all the way along its route. The other 2 services an hour may have a few more out of Gungahlin, however they do not connect with any of the feeder services. It is rather poorly planned to have the redex bus miss these connections, as its still faster to catch the 5. Once arriving at the city, 2 of the Redex services per hour will be travelling within a 5 minute window of both routes 5 & 4.

Timetable example out of the city is as follows. This is for all offpeak hours southbound

:02 - Route 5
:03 - Redex
:07 - Route 4
:18 - Redex
:27 - Route 80
:32 - Route 5
:33 - Redex
:37 - Route 4
:48 - Redex

It is amazing that 9 buses per hour are running along the common sector from the city to Wentworth Ave, Kingston yet there are still up to 14 minutes between services, with 3 services operating in a 5 minute window twice an hour. Routes 4 and 5 were poorly planned from the beginning and Redex has countinued this trend.

Redex is a service that is duplicating a current service with no real time benefit for the commuting public. It offers no new connections or destinations than the current route network. If ACTION wanted this concept to succeed, the $1 million could have been spent on installing bus priority measures on Northbourne Ave, as well as making Gungahlin services only stop at 2 stops between Dickson and the City on Northbourne Ave (the stops Redex are using).

It all smells of political motivation to ensure the service has inadequate passenger numbers to continue past the end of the trial. In doing so, the Labor party keeps their end of the promises they made to the greens to get power at the last election, whilst ensuring they don't have to continue funding of these services. Seems $1 million is a small price to pay for political power!

The Love Guru

Just to add to my rant, here are the Northbound times arriving at the city

:09 - Route 5
:10 - Redex
:12 - Route 4
:25 - Redex
:39 - Route 5
:40 - Redex
:41 - Route 80
:42 - Route 4
:55 - Redex

They must be expecting a very large change in travel habits of those workers in the Russell and Barton areas. Having the 4 services that operate the common route arriving at the city 1 minute apart from each other is a stroke of genuis. I'm unsure that anyone in the planning department has ever read the timetable!

belcodriver

It's not really about the routes anyway it's a prototype for getting rid of seniority and bringing in block rosters.

Bus 400

What is a block roster?

Isn't seniority being replaced with years in the Public service? So if I was in JACS for 5 years, I would be higher on the list then someone who is 40 & been in ACTION for 3 years. Well that is the rumor I've heard anyway.

Buzz Killington

ACTION REDEX buses every 15 minutes from monday

Released 12/11/2009

The ACT Government's trial of a new high frequency bus service between the Gungahlin Market Place and Canberra Railway Station in Kingston commences Monday 16 November offering buses every 15 minutes from 7am and 7pm.

Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope said the Government had invested $1 million for a trial of the high frequency service, called REDEX.

"REDEX will deliver more buses, more frequently throughout the day," Mr Stanhope said. "Buses will run every 15 minutes from 7am to 7pm between the Gungahlin Market Place and Canberra Railway Station in Kingston, via Mitchell, Northbourne Avenue, the City, Russell and Barton.

"Travel on REDEX buses is free for the first week between 9am and 4.30pm to encourage Canberrans to use the frequent service in off-peak periods.

"I expect this service to be enormously successful. We know that what people want from a bus network is frequency, regularity and reliability, and that's what we're delivering with REDEX."

REDEX will be trialled until 30 June 2010, including the school holidays, but not the Christmas and New Year period.

A review of the trial and community and driver feedback will help form the future of REDEX and its potential growth, which could include an extension to Fyshwick.

ACTION will also consider additional REDEX services for Belconnen and the Tuggeranong Valley, depending on the review.

Information on REDEX is available from the ACTION website at http://www.action.act.gov.au/.

All 14 REDEX buses are low-emission, wheelchair accessible and provide bike racks and on-bus information screens.

belcodriver

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 13, 2009, 06:29:23 PM
What is a block roster?

Isn't seniority being replaced with years in the Public service? So if I was in JACS for 5 years, I would be higher on the list then someone who is 40 & been in ACTION for 3 years. Well that is the rumor I've heard anyway.

A block roster is where drivers might get to pick roughly which time of day they work and then maybe 7 drivers will rotate through 5 different shifts including rostered weekend.

Currently shifts are picked in order of seniority with that being determined by years of continuous service with ACTION.

Buzz Killington

There is now a Redex page on the 'Information' page of the Website.

Bus 400

Each depot has 7 allocated Redex shifts. Each depot also has 1 spare Redex driver & these take priority over normal services (school services are still a priority)

Bus 400

For those that have seen the Redex desto, has anyone noticed what differences there are between the To Kingston & To Gungahlin scrolls?

Snorzac

no, please enlighten us? grace us with your intelligence once again.

Bus 400

Gungahlin Bound desto

"Redex Limited Stops Gungahlin via City"

Kingston Bound

"Redex limited stops Kingston via City

Bus 400

There is another whinge by Coey about Redex in yesterday's Canberra Times. It does mention that a timetable review wil be implemented during Easter break.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 17, 2009, 12:45:55 AM
Gungahlin Bound desto

"Redex Limited Stops Gungahlin via City"

Kingston Bound

"Redex limited stops Kingston via City

Why ask the question if you knew the answer?

Bus 400

Seeing if anyone else noticed that 727S gets lower case l&s while 727N gets uppercase L&S

Busnerd

Barry Drive

QuoteOpponents of light rail say that buses offer the same service that light rail can. This of course is totally false, as the major limiting factor is passenger capacity and reliability of route service.
And the limiting factor of light rail, in Canberra, is lack of sufficient passenger demand (other than in peak) to make a service viable. Not to mention lack of money to build and run a light rail.

QuoteWhen announced in May, the service was to service all town centres, Civic and the Parliamentary Triangle. All major service areas, with significant passenger volume needing to be shifted with few stops (or none) along the way. A commendable aim, and one which I supported at the time.
Except that it was being done the wrong way - two overlapping routes which 'joins the dots' is not the best way to design bus routes. It's exactly the same problem that he/she was complaining about - meandering routes. The correct way is to do some proper research about people's travel needs and what is stopping them from catching buses. If this means additional services in peak times, limited stop or otherwise, then that is what should be delivered rather than just a publicity slogan.

Quote•Handling cash and providing change delays services. I suggested that REDEX services not accept cash, making REDEX a bus card only service.
Which would guarantee failure, because it would only attract existing bus users. What would be better is to trial the Adelaide system of offering cheaper bus travel during the middle of the day.

QuoteHow can this trial fail ?

•Only one bus will run every 15 minutes from Gungahlin town centre. If this bus reaches capacity, it will sail past people waiting at the special REDEX stops (a sign on a pole) and the person will have to wait for another bus.

•The REDEX trial will use regular buses, not the new high capacity steerable rear axle buses.
I don't need to say much here other than Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. There is no shortage of capacity now between Gungahlin and City and I doubt that any Redex bus is near to capacity.

Busnerd

I love the comment that the SPECIAL REDEX STOP is just a SIGN ON A POLE....

That is usually what a bus stop is made up of...what do they expect?

Barry Drive

A smart bus stop showing real-time arrival time perhaps.

Busnerd

We can only wish....only Melbourne has managed to run it properly. Sydney has trial units and has done nothing with them since, most don't even work anymore. Adelaide CBD has them functioning but thats about it...

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 05, 2009, 03:10:35 PM
An interesting post here regarding REDEX - http://onfourwheels.blogspot.com/2009/10/redex-bus-rapid-transit-you-have-when.html
This particular blogger intends to post a new Redex blog on Friday (11 Dec).

smitho

Quote from: MaxiZac on December 05, 2009, 09:17:14 PM
We can only wish....only Melbourne has managed to run it properly. Sydney has trial units and has done nothing with them since, most don't even work anymore. Adelaide CBD has them functioning but thats about it...
Perth has had real time information at both railway stations and bus stops for quite a long time. The system seems to work very well there.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Martin on December 10, 2009, 09:18:04 AM
This particular blogger intends to post a new Redex blog on Friday (11 Dec).
His latest blog has now been posted. His summary: "Redex is a good thing."

To pick it apart somewhat:

QuoteRedex needs a separate platform at Interchanges. There is also no dedicated Redex platform in Civic.
And where would such a dedicated platform be located? Platforms 8 and 9 could be modifed, but at times they are already over-crowded and making them shorter would disadvantage the current services. Northbourne Ave (10 & 11) is another option but this is located too far from the main interchange for connections.

QuoteRedex buses are not distinct from regular Action buses. As can be seen from the photo, this could be any other Action bus. From a distance the service number cannot be seen distinctly. The scrolling Redex message is also indistinct. Action need to plaster a big red magnetic or vinyl sign across the front of the bus, or place a large redex placard in the front window of the bus, and also adjacent to the passenger boarding door.
Isn't that non-scrolling "REDEX" sign on the front of the bus enough for you? But I agree the side/rear desto could have been done better - since it's an LED it could be programmed to alternate between '727'and 'REDEX'.

QuoteDespite limited patronage on the services I was on, Redex is a good model and seems to be working. For public transport systems to work effectively, they must be Comfortable, Frequent and Attractive. I found the Redex service to satisfy all three criteria.
Obviously I have a different criteria about 'working' - if there are not enough passengers to warrant the service, then it's not working.

QuoteNo doubt if Redex is extended, services like 216/217 can be converted to 'Redex' quite easily.

When first announced, Redex was to operate from the other Canberra town centres. This was changed due to funding problems (as reported in my previous blog post on Redex). If the redex trial in Gungahlin proves successful it should be rolled out across the Action network.
Um... 216/217 do not exist and haven't since Network '08.

Roll what out? All that has been said by Stanhope is that it could be rolled-out to Tuggeranong and Belconnen - but from where to where? As I've said before show me where there is demand for public transport which could be serviced by Redex - Belconnen to Kippax is one; Belconnen to Gungahlin may be another; Tuggeranong to Erindale perhaps, but I'm dubious about this. 

Buzz Killington

Tuggeranong to City would be nice. If they ran it up Erindale/Yamba/Yarra/Adelaide/Commonwealth/Interchange they could also run it via Erindale and service the hospital via the stops on Yamba Dr.

smitho

Article on page 4 in yesterday's CT seems to confirm suggestions that Redex will continue beyond the 30 June trial-end date if the government accepts ACTION's recommendations. It reports 1377 passengers used Redex on Monday this week....OK considering many workers and families with school aged family members are still out of Canberra.

Speculate about possible extensions to the existing route  .... the Fyshwick Market, Manuka/Forrest and DFO are options.

Barry Drive

Smitho, any chance of posting a scan of that article?

As I'm sure I've said before just counting how many passengers are on Redex services doesn't tell the full story. Of those 1377 passengers, how many would have caught other routes if Redex didn't exist? By all means keep the Redex service, but reduce duplication/competition with other routes.

Where to extend Redex? I'm not sure that it needs extending. Instead I would like it travel via Manuka and Kingston shops (perhaps via Commonwealth Ave, Canberra Ave, Manuka, Giles St/Eyres St, then terminate at Railway). Or possibly not even Kingston shops just go along Canb Av and turn into Wentworth at the Hume Place roundabout. The Constituition Av, Kings Av, National Crt, Wentworth Av, Kingston Shops corridor is already well serviced (or even over-serviced) by routes 4, 5, 80 and Xpresso services - they just need to be better co-ordinated.

Fyshwick and DFO should be handled by a different route. Possibly a more direct service than the 80 currently provides.

smitho

My PC set up is a bit basic and doesn't allow me to scan - I can leave a photocopy in your pigeon hole @ Belco Depot if you like, Martin.

Barry Drive

Just internal mail / leave with the starters will be fine.

Barry Drive

Got it. I might post a scan later.

Quote from Liz Clarke: "...we've show (sic) at the moment an increase of 4.2 per cent of patronage on Gungahlin bus services for (sic) Redex. "

Not sure what services are being counted as Gungahlin bus services, but if you include 56 and 58 they've gone from 4 services an hour to 8 services an hour (off-peak) so for a 100% increase in buses there has been a 4.2% increase in passengers. It would also be interesting to see at what times this increase in passenger numbers has been occurring and where they are actually coming frrom and going to. How many are using Redex instead of other Northbourne Av bus routes (30, 31, 39 etc) which do not count as Gungahlin services?

Bus 400

With the planned cut to the GST revenue that the ACT receives & the Treasurers threatening tax hikes for ACT Residents, I wonder if ACTION will get the money to fund &/or expand the Redex network?

Buzz Killington

310 was on Redex this afternoon with a quality paper sign desto.

Times New Roman, you ask?

You bet your sweet bippy.

Bus 400

An Irisbus was on Redex yesterday as well.

smitho

Today's Southside Courier carries a report about the extension of Redex "through" Fyshwick, including "a stop at DFO"...left me wondering whether Fyshwick Terminus may become the southern terminus for Redex.

Sir Pompously

308 was on Redex yesterday from memory. Don't know why it would backtrack, smitho, unless it will head up Canberra Avenue, onto Iron Knob (Giggles), and then onto Newcastle street and looping around there before turning down Ipswich and Wiluna Streets to the terminus.

Buzz Killington

I would've thought it would turn out of the Railway onto Wentworth, left onto Canberra Ave, left onto Tom Price, left onto Iron Knob and set down at DFO.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 12, 2010, 06:37:36 PM
I would've thought it would turn out of the Railway onto Wentworth, left onto Canberra Ave, left onto Tom Price, left onto Iron Knob and set down at DFO.

Yeh, that's the sort of route you'd expect, but DFO would not be a very suitable terminus as it is presently configued
- you need room for two or three Redex buses at least, because often terminating Redex buses are there at the same time as Redex buses waiting to depart...not to mention the occasional transiting Route 80 service...

Buzz Killington

Not to mention that you can often encounter Redex services running in the same direction two minutes apart because somebody's running late..

I would suggest there's probably space to layover on Geraldton Cres, Leonora St and Beaconsfield St. Bit hard to tell from Google Maps as they're from the time when the whole area was still under construction.

Bus 400

I wonder if this DFO extension of 727 is an attack on Brand Depot? As patrons have the option (with ACTION) of 30-60 minute services to Brand Depot or every 15 minute limited stop service to DFO.

belcodriver

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 12, 2010, 08:06:33 PM
I wonder if this DFO extension of 727 is an attack on Brand Depot?

I hope so. The Snow family really fucked things up with all their offices at the airport.

smitho

Morning peak hour southbound Redex services extremely slow so far this week.

Lengthy delays on Flemington Rd southbound; worked to my advantage this am as Redex in front of me was running so late that there were relatively few punters for my 727 to collect ...meant I was on-time out of Civic but didn't get to overtake him.

smitho

Long talked about changes to Redex including their integration into the network may see them re-numbered as the Route 200 Series services.......whether the remaining '200 Link' routes (such as the 226, 227) continue with those numbers remains to be seen - as does the fate of the current Route 5 service, which is largely duplicated by Redex as currently structured, at least on the northside.

smitho

Due to an unannounced closure of many roads in the Mitchell area around late morning today, including Flemington Rd, I had to find an alternative route for my southbound Redex from Mitchell to Dickson.

Lack of detour signage in Mitchell meant I ran into several more road blocks until reaching the Gungahlin Cemetery road, thence left on to the Barton Highway, turning left again near the collapsed GDE bridge onto the Barton Highway, then right onto the old Barton Highway turnoff, running through to Dickson about 5 minutes late...not too bad in the circumstances. 

Northbound 727's had a much more roundabout route, having to go via Ginninderra Drive. The closures were lifted shortly after mid-day.

Bus 400

Did you ever find out why the roads were closed? When I left Mitchell in the truck at around 7am there wasn't too much extra traffic on the GDE & we had no trouble getting back into Mitchell via Flemington Road (from the Federal Highway) at around 11:30.

smitho

No - even ACTION Communications Centre only seemed to find out a fair while after the closures. Roads blocks were manned by good numbers of police - curious!

Barry Drive

Doing 727 northbound, departing City around 5pm: a 52 is sitting on pl 8 (Bus 412) when I arrive yet passengers still go to my bus. And at the Macarthur/ Northbourne stop 2 passengers chose 727 even though the 52 got to the stop first. Guess which bus got to GMP first.

smitho

Yeah, its all luck of the Irish on Redex.

I usually have a Number 5 ahead of me on one of my mid-morning 727s and we can overtake each other multiple times. But this am, I overtook him just north of Civic Interchange and never saw him again until he arrived in GMP about 5 minutes later than I.

Barry Drive

Answer: 52 arrived first despite being an "all stops" service. Of course, if everyone had caught the 52 then it wouldn't have arrived first. Earlier in the day there was a 5 which left before me which I ended up beating by about 1 minute - but only because I passed it at the last Flemington Road stop.