Retrofit Destination Displays

Started by p_stampy, December 21, 2010, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 20, 2010, 06:08:43 PM

lulz @ 312, new desto sounds interesting. LED rather than LCD though?
er yes...

I can't get any words right lately... i know what i mean.

*skips away giggling*

Barry Drive

I just saw 946 with the new desto. Appears to be orange LED. Way better than the flip dot - you can actually read it from a distance.

The Love Guru

If you get a chance to have a sticky can you see what brand it is? Looks different to the hanovers on the new buses (i know its a lot smaller, but the font and brightness of the sign appear to be different)

p_stampy

Quote from: MyWay on December 21, 2010, 04:33:29 PM
I just saw 946 with the new desto. Appears to be orange LED. Way better than the flip dot - you can actually read it from a distance.

Maybe that was the bus I saw... Yes orange display - and yes, much more readable.

Barry Drive

Have no doubt that it's a Hanover. It's using the same file as the other Hanovers. If you thought marquee scroll was bad before - you should see what it looks like on the smaller display. At least the route number is easy to read.

Busnerd

Finally! I guess they took a page out of the book of sydney operators using LED desto's in their renaults :) i now forget who has one but im sure someone does.

Sir Pompously

I think "Volia"/Transit First had them. And there is that other company...... Baxters? Did they have LED? Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.

Barry Drive

In keeping with its mythical status, here is a very poor photo of 946 taken from a mobile phone.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 06, 2011, 11:20:06 AM
Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.
The Perth Renaults have a larger desto box and they would be able to contain a full-sized desto display. Also I think that Perth use Mobitec LEDs, since most of their destos are Mobitec.

p_stampy

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 12:08:28 PM
In keeping with its mythical status, here is a very poor photo of 946 taken from a mobile phone.

wohoo! I'm glad I wasn't seeing things the other week!

It was even sitting there long enough for me to take a photo, but I just didn't do it.

400:D

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

Noes! I need a better picture to see how ridiculous it looks.

Bus 400

The below photo is of a TransPerth Mercedes 0305, this photo is courtesy of Perthbus (http://www.perthbus.info).

Sir Pompously

Quote from: MyWay on January 06, 2011, 02:09:32 PM
The Perth Renaults have a larger desto box and they would be able to contain a full-sized desto display. Also I think that Perth use Mobitec LEDs, since most of their destos are Mobitec.

Could be. The font's looked like Hanover's to me, however they could very well be mobitecs! The perth box is taller, however it look's shorter in length.

p_stampy

Quote from: 400:D on January 06, 2011, 04:02:02 PM
Noes! I need a better picture to see how ridiculous it looks.

It's easier to read that the previous ones.

Quote from: p_stampy on January 07, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
It's easier to read that the previous ones.

It would have to be better than the current ones, I nearly miss the bus because they have to be so close for me to read.

lukeo25

Today i saw 946 twice but in going past me, i like the look of the desto but i think it would look better with a smaller font size for the route destination 

Bus 400

I spotted it for the first time this afternoon, it was coming the other way down the Tuggeranong Parkway & the desto display for "Not In Service 110"is quite clear with nice big bold letters.

p_stampy

SO I got all excited that i saw the bus and took a pic. What timing:

Sir Pompously

LOL. Yeah, LED Desto=Fail as it constantly flickers. You need a camera with a good shutter speed to ensure you can get the LED desto (close to) every time.

p_stampy

That was taken with my phone... be surprised it even worked at all ;)

I don't drag big cameras around with me. Partly because they're big, but partly because I'm shit at using them anyway :p

Buzz Killington

Saw it today, looks good. Unfortunately I was driving at 80 k's in one direction with it doing the same in the other, so photo wasn't possible.

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 14, 2011, 08:23:26 PM
Saw it today, looks good. Unfortunately I was driving at 80 k's in one direction with it doing the same in the other, so photo wasn't possible.

Poor excuse really...
>:D

Sir Pompously

Saw it laying over at Woden this afternoon on my way home from work. Looks quite nice, marquee scroll though.

Bus 400

I saw the new side number desto as well today, although 27 WODEN  was showing on the front the side desto was blank besides a few dots on the bottom line.

Barry Drive

Did it look like this:

When I saw it the side desto numbers were clearly showing, even though you can't see them in that photo.

Bus 400

It did look like that at around that location (I was just behind that white car). It may of been as I was at car height, looking up from a close up angle.

Snorzac

Yay, a picture of it! I finally spotted it today in the city Interchange, looks good.

Simes

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 06, 2011, 11:20:06 AM
I think "Volia"/Transit First had them. And there is that other company...... Baxters? Did they have LED? Also, some Transperth Renaults have Hanover's installed aswell.

Baxters and Busabout had a group of Renaults come up here at about the same time and they all had mobitecs fitted to the front desto with wig wag lights either side, the Baxters ones went to Transit First and ultimately Veolia, one's since been withdrawn for parts, the Busabout ones have gone to Wee Waa
http://www.businterchange.com/busint/open.cgi?id=2716

It seems they're both all white now....

Snorzac

Managed to get a half decent shot of it a week or so ago....

Busnerd

Way to take it whilst the marquee portion was off the screen :P Dont know why they are using mixed case scrolling on those, yet they whinge old people can't read the desto's on scanias/iris's etc... what old granny could see that tiny Fraser on there? They should just be using capitals like the current renault desto's

Buzz Killington

Can't stand the marquee scroll one bit.

Funny that the Irisbuses and Darts are the most unreliable and hated buses in the ACTION Fleet, yet they have the best destination displays.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Busn00b on February 06, 2011, 07:10:41 PM
Way to take it whilst the marquee portion was off the screen :P Dont know why they are using mixed case scrolling on those, yet they whinge old people can't read the desto's on scanias/iris's etc... what old granny could see that tiny Fraser on there? They should just be using capitals like the current renault desto's
Actually, having it mixed makes it easier to read. Having it in upper case always makes it look as if it is mushed together. It is just they have decided to two line a desto which is too thin to have two lines. And they used the Marquee scroll and the font is crap.

I like the desto, it's easier to read than my teacher's handwriting and it isn't all patchy, plus I love the marquee scroll.

smitho

Saw 946 doing a southbound Route 80 in poor light conditions this afternoon. Desto details stood out really well.

Agree, combined upper and lower case desto presentation is far easier to read that all upper case. This is generally accepted among public transport operators all around the world (except Sydney!).

Snorzac

As reported on Twitter originally sighted by 'belcodriver', 126 is now fitted with an LED desto.

King of Buses

saw that today on wheeler cres.

Ed

QuoteIt is just they have decided to two line a desto which is too thin to have two lines. And they used the Marquee scroll and the font is crap.

That may be true, but it's still far easier to read than those illegible Alcatel destos (plus one doesn't have to worry about broken desto lights). 

Bus 400

Here is a photo of Bus 126 featuring its new desto:

Sadly the rear desto didn't show up.

Busnerd

Quote from: Metrobus on August 24, 2011, 12:47:58 AM
As reported on Twitter originally sighted by 'belcodriver', 126 is now fitted with an LED desto.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....Photos please

Busnerd

Sorry, didn't scroll down all the way :P

Barry Drive

Tuggeranong is at it again. Report from Ed via Metrobus is that 147 now has a Hanover LED.

Busnerd

Barry Drive

Courtesy of Ed.

(Photo loaded onto twitpic)

Bus 400

Those workshop guys love playing with toys, you see soft animals on 374 a while back, others have stuck to the roof, now 147 features one in the desto box.

smitho

There was a little plasic dinosaur mounted on the top front of my Scania recently...can't recall the number.

Buzz Killington

Well, word was that when they 'named' the Scanias it was to see if we picked up on it. Toys could be for the same reason!

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on September 11, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
There was a little plasic dinosaur mounted on the top front of my Scania recently...can't recall the number.
I think 330 has one. A 36# has one too.

ajw373

In town the other day I saw a PR100.2 that may well need a new desto soon. The one in it appeared to be only held in at the top, so when the bus stopped and then took off the whole screen swung backwards and forwards a few times. Cannot recall the fleet number, but think it was one of the early MKII's in the 870's (maybe 875).

Snorzac

I think most of the Alcatels are nearing the end of their life. The question is will they invest the money to replace them with LEDs.

It wouldn't surprise me if 948 is in line for a new board. Spotted it on a school run in Ainslie the other day. It was happily going along as SCHOOL BUS 613 but then suddenly scrolled to a very distorted VIA NARRABUNDAH 5 (with dots all over the place, I could only just make out what it said!) before going back to SCHOOL BUS 613  :pop: